Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

He's never prosecuted a felony. Not a single one and somehow the type of lawyer that advertises on late night cable gets picked lead for a historic RICO case? god drat the but this cop is on our team poo poo in this thread is insane.

I feel like this argument would hold more weight if you weren't the same person who made gross comments about how you were angry because she "blew up the case for some dick."

Trying to paint it as people being COP LOVERS because they're not instantly willing to assume something incredibly scandalous brought up by Trump-affiliated people without more proof is tedious, because it isn't like "accuse the opposition of having illicit/untoward relationships" isn't something that has come up in almost every single trial so far.

If genuine evidence comes up then that's one thing, but retreating back to "Well, look at his website" doesn't really provide any evidence besides your gut feeling.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Kchama posted:

So which cops would non-bastardishly satisfy you?

I refer you to the first letter of ACAB

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah you're right I never considered that. I believe prison should be abolished therefore we just gotta let Trump get away with everything. You caught me in a hypocrisy, I guess Joe Biden has to resign now

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wade is absolutely qualified. There's a reason the judge immediately tossed that line of questioning.

I’m trusting you, because you’re actually a lawyer, but could you throw us a little more meat?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

So then it doesn't really matter which cop is doing it then, does it? No one is claiming he isn't a cop in some way, just that this sort of argument is stupid and wrong in this case.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Kchama posted:

So which cops would non-bastardishly satisfy you?

Axel Foley.

I like his theme music

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

in congress news, House Republicans are still doing great

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

It's more like if someone operated the burger machine at BK and suddenly got picked for head chef at a Michelin star restaurant.

Go look up his firm's website.

I don’t think we should judge someone by their own website, a source with high expectations of bias, but since you asked

quote:

For the past two decades, we have built a strong reputation in the areas of Personal Injury, Contract Litigation Law, Family and Domestic Law, and Criminal Defense ranking our lawyers as leads in these and other practice areas

quote:

He serves the citizens of Cobb County as Associate Municipal Court Judge and as a Pro Has State Court Judge.

quote:

As a private practitioner for many years and a recently appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia, Nathan J. Wade has been recognized by his peers with numerous awards for his excellence as an attorney and for his service to his community, to include Georgia’s Top Lawyer/Legal Elite award and the Justice Robert Benham Award for Community Service.

quote:

Investigation of Cobb County Sheriff's Office
As published in the Marietta Daily Journal, Wade & Campbell represented Neil Warren of the Cobb County Sheriff's office in an investigation of five year's worth of complaints alleging discriminatory practice, use of deadly force or neglect at the detention center.

An associate judge isn’t the same thing as a chief judge, but it seems disingenuous to call that a ‘operating the burger machine’ - I think there are a few more qualifications involved. Investigating the county sheriff’s office also sounds like a significant matter punching well above burger flipping.

I also am skeptical of calling Georgia courts a Michelin star restaurant of crime, no offense to Georgia.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Axel Foley.

I like his theme music

sadly, another conflict of interest

he's friends with Judge

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’m trusting you, because you’re actually a lawyer, but could you throw us a little more meat?

I don't have his resume in front of me, but he worked for the prosecutors office for years, has been in private practice since (which as a solo/small firm means you take on everything that comes through the door) and has served as a judge for certain types of court in Georgia for more than a decade. He's certainly appeared in front of Judge McAfee before who has far more knowledge of Wade as a lawyer than we ever could. Judges know who attorneys are. If there was actually any question about his qualifications, the judge might have given it credence.

Also, I'm a former attorney don't put that evil on me anymore. I write papers and occasionally teach classes now in a non-law field.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

kazil posted:

Lmao

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

He's never prosecuted a felony. Not a single one and somehow the type of lawyer that advertises on late night cable gets picked lead for a historic RICO case? god drat the but this cop is on our team poo poo in this thread is insane.

I get why you're upset about this, but this isn't the slam dunk of corruption that you seem to think it is. This is basic job procedure in the municipal/legal community. And so far, it sounds like they have followed that procedure with documentation to back it up. This isn't a smoking gun. It's a matchstick carrot that someone is pretending is a gun.

TheAgent posted:

Yeah, there's no one to really back up that they started dating in 2019 but that one statement from Yeartie. Merchant tried to go into the "secret relationship" angle and that the NDA Wade signed in order to work in the DA's office would prevent him from speaking about the relationship, but the Judge shot that down.

Maybe there's more evidence, but you'd think Merchant would be able to produce some actual, tangible evidence during Wade's testimony.

The "illicit" angle is what their talking heads have been building up to control that narrative. It's great for the grift, but now that the time has come to actually put up, it's starting to look like the grifters got grifted.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Kchama posted:

So then it doesn't really matter which cop is doing it then, does it?

"This cop is a bastard" and "this cop, who is a bastard, is using this prosecution to enrich themselves and their boyfriend on the taxpayer's dime and putting the case in jeopardy" are not synonymous. I think there's a bare-minimum standard of avoiding these kinds of entanglements that Willis and Wade could have acted upon, and chose not to because the arrangement was financially useful to them personally. A cop who successfully exercises the bare-minimum standard would be better, but being a cop, is still a bastard.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good morning SA Awful posters.

And God Blesh the United Shtates.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
"I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this" isn't the kind of language you usually see a witness on the stand say in response to an attorney's question but we did today, and it was a :lol:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

kazil posted:

:hmbol: This is going to get real interesting in the next couple weeks

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The only thing I’m guilty of is being too innocent.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"All Cops Are Bastards" doesn't mean "literally any bad thing you say about a cop is true" or "a cop's particular bastardry is relevant in this instance"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are a black man people who's job is "email" look at that resume and compare it to flipping burgers

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't have his resume in front of me, but he worked for the prosecutors office for years, has been in private practice since (which as a solo/small firm means you take on everything that comes through the door) and has served as a judge for certain types of court in Georgia for more than a decade. He's certainly appeared in front of Judge McAfee before who has far more knowledge of Wade as a lawyer than we ever could. Judges know who attorneys are. If there was actually any question about his qualifications, the judge might have given it credence.

Also, I'm a former attorney don't put that evil on me anymore. I write papers and occasionally teach classes now in a non-law field.

Thank you!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, Wade did prosecute felonies. He doesn't preside over them as a municipal judge, but he has done both felony prosecution and defense.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thread heating up

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Does Gollum gently caress?

EDIT: Whoops, this isn't the RLM thread

Outpost22 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

"This cop is a bastard" and "this cop, who is a bastard, is using this prosecution to enrich themselves and their boyfriend on the taxpayer's dime and putting the case in jeopardy" are not synonymous. I think there's a bare-minimum standard of avoiding these kinds of entanglements that Willis and Wade could have acted upon, and chose not to because the arrangement was financially useful to them personally. A cop who successfully exercises the bare-minimum standard would be better, but being a cop, is still a bastard.

It wasn't financially useful, though. Neither profited from it. Wade was paid the standard rate for his work, and he was actually billing for work performed. Their relationship, which developed after he was hired, was treated professionally and there are tangible records of everything.

There's nothing improper with any payments to Wade or Willis, at least as far as I've seen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1758171887488684080?s=20

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

"All Cops Are Bastards" doesn't mean "literally any bad thing you say about a cop is true" or "a cop's particular bastardry is relevant in this instance"

Also sometimes the people they're bastards to deserve it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They'll be back from recess shortly wade is back in the witness box.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Okay, but is there any proof in this case that they did anything wrong? I mean, I even asked for evidence from the other guy and got literally nothing, just a pivot to "ACTUALLY HE IS NOT QUALIFIED" which seems to imply that there is, in fact, no evidence of wrong-doing.

It's not because I love this cop or particularly care about him, but lying is wrong, even if you hate the person for whatever reason. You just seem to be throwing a tantrum and tossing out poo poo because I didn't just accept something without anything to back it up.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Nice! posted:

They'll be back from recess shortly wade is back in the witness box.

echo... echo... echo...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Even Columbo!?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Batterypowered7 posted:

NO! HASTERT. RULE.
The Rule Named After A Convicted Child Predator can still work. It doesn't say "100% of GOP must agree" it says a majority of the GOP must agree. So if 180 GOP reps vote YES and the 30 HFC nutters vote NO then it still can move forward.

Well, until one of the 30 HFC reps votes to remove the speaker because they are spiteful shits.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Even Columbo!?

Even Kojak.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Especially Paw Patrol

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Agreed

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

lmao they have him penned in LIKE A DOG

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

please do not tap on the president's cage.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CannonFodder posted:

The Rule Named After A Convicted Child Predator can still work. It doesn't say "100% of GOP must agree" it says a majority of the GOP must agree. So if 180 GOP reps vote YES and the 30 HFC nutters vote NO then it still can move forward.

Well, until one of the 30 HFC reps votes to remove the speaker because they are spiteful shits.

In a better scenario a non Massive loving Idiot speaker would just work with dems across the aisle and say gently caress it the HFC, but Mike actually is one of those idiots despite their current hatred of him, so dems would probably vote to vacate, rather than protect.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

sorry everyone, case is over

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kojak? That soyface meme thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kazil posted:

sorry everyone, case is over

he's watching msnbc? is he some kind of cuck-lib?