Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

slightly unsure what sort of thing you're actually after. if something's good it's dismissed as utility, and if something's direct damage it's dismissed as being something other sources of damage could replicate

you want an offensive psycast that doesn't do damage or neutralise raids at a cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had a guy with the Archite mod's genes, gave him a Super Pill once I found one, and the Warlord tree. I also had the uncapped skill level mod and Uncapper. So by endgame when he was cutting about all borged up to the eyeballs, he was already basically the most dangerous motherfucker on the planet naked and sober. With his Persona chainsword that restored psyfocus and neural heat with each kill, and sometimes a dose of go-juice for fun, he could and did destroy anything he wanted. He was like an unholy amalgamation of David Martinez and Raiden. A raid of 130 pirates? Dead. 400 zombies? Dead. A full bore lategame mechanoid raid? Dead.

If this sounds boring: Wrong, it is cool and good. Also it took like 15 years to climb to that point and cost an absolutely ungodly amount of all kinds of things.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish there was a mod to temporarily disable schedules for 24 hours. A normal schedule is great for normal days, but if my pawns just spent the whole night fighting off a raid, don't try to have a normal workday until you collapse from exhaustion. But I don't want to go through and manually remove everyone's schedules and then have to remember to set them up again a day later.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I never messed with alpha animals of biomes that much before. Maybe that's a good shout. I did mess with them a little before but I've always stuck with standard forest stuff for the most part, aside from boreal forest when I've wanted a change..

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish there was a mod to temporarily disable schedules for 24 hours. A normal schedule is great for normal days, but if my pawns just spent the whole night fighting off a raid, don't try to have a normal workday until you collapse from exhaustion. But I don't want to go through and manually remove everyone's schedules and then have to remember to set them up again a day later.

"I wish there was a mod to... "

There is. There always is.

Better Pawn Control

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's weird because I run Vanilla Psycasts Expanded but honestly rarely get that much mileage out of the offensive stuff. The utility stuff is bonkers overpowered but kind of boring and the classics like berserk pulse still do work, but whenever I try to make combat wizards that shoot lightning and stuff I always get frustrated by their terrible range or choked by heat limitations compared to just using old fashioned kite-and-shoot tactics.

Rimworld of Magic is a lot more fun but even more unbalanced.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It's hosed up that I have to install a mod to keep pawns from sweeping the killbox, animal pens, and around random walls 100 meters from the base.

Also, my colony now has its first dedicated team of melee pawns with locust armor! Their first mission was to jump into a mech cluster, drop a psycast shield around themselves and the artillery shield node to protect them from the turrets, and take it out, along with any mechanoids that want to enter the thunderdome. They got out, nobody lost any parts, and the rest of my pawns were able to take out most of the turrets with mortars.

Sidenote, I really need to get some rocket launchers. Those mortar shields are so annoying when the turrets out-range sniper rifles

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A Moose posted:

It's hosed up that I have to install a mod to keep pawns from sweeping the killbox, animal pens, and around random walls 100 meters from the base.

Also, my colony now has its first dedicated team of melee pawns with locust armor! Their first mission was to jump into a mech cluster, drop a psycast shield around themselves and the artillery shield node to protect them from the turrets, and take it out, along with any mechanoids that want to enter the thunderdome. They got out, nobody lost any parts, and the rest of my pawns were able to take out most of the turrets with mortars.

Sidenote, I really need to get some rocket launchers. Those mortar shields are so annoying when the turrets out-range sniper rifles

Why don't you just restrict the homezone to the walls of said kill box,pen,etc. Pawns only sweep the home area...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Why don't you just restrict the homezone to the walls of said kill box,pen,etc. Pawns only sweep the home area...

this used to trip me up so often, because it auto-populates home area on and slightly around things you build.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

this used to trip me up so often, because it auto-populates home area on and slightly around things you build.

You can turn the auto home area off. It's one of the tiny check boxes in the bottom right.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A Moose posted:

Range doesn't matter as much if turrets can't see you. You can unilaterally stomp an unlimited number of turrets, at the cost of micromanagement tedium of manually targeting the smoke launchers and moving your dudes into the smoke clouds.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

you can disable auto-homezone, it's one of the buttons in the bottom right

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gadzuko posted:

You can turn the auto home area off. It's one of the tiny check boxes in the bottom right.

The pro-est of tips right here.

I about lost my mind when my frail old lady genie pawn almost collapsed. Why? She was on her way home, exhausted, starving and absolutely absolutely mortified after spending the entire day walking across the map so she could clean the area around the rotting corpse pile I set up in the far corner. Agnus, no!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

yeah but micromanaging the home area sucks, either constantly removing it, or turning off the toggle and constantly adding it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The pro-est of tips right here.

I had no idea. I have over a thousand hours on Rimworld.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Range doesn't matter as much if turrets can't see you. You can unilaterally stomp an unlimited number of turrets, at the cost of micromanagement tedium of manually targeting the smoke launchers and moving your dudes into the smoke clouds.

you can disable auto-homezone, it's one of the buttons in the bottom right

only then you forgot to add a zone for the grow zone and and the devilstrand has been on fire but you didn't notice and now it's ruined

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

slightly unsure what sort of thing you're actually after. if something's good it's dismissed as utility, and if something's direct damage it's dismissed as being something other sources of damage could replicate

you want an offensive psycast that doesn't do damage or neutralise raids at a cost?

I want a cool fire wizard who can actually use fire as their primary method of dealing damage to people in a way that isn't just dramatically less efficient/more fiddly than other methods of doing the same thing. Chain bolt and ball lightning are good examples of spells that are designed like I want more of the spells to be designed like - they're strong, reusable spells with good range that operate in a way that is unique relative to just shooting a dude with a gun or a mortar but also are not "press a button and a raid ends". Basically, I'm looking for spells that work like gun replacements rather than berserk pulse replacements.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A Moose posted:

yeah but micromanaging the home area sucks, either constantly removing it, or turning off the toggle and constantly adding it.

If your walls are nonflammable, and the area is restricted to the wall theres not a ton to micromanage. Pawns are only going to go out to repair or extinguish the wall, and since only the wall is highlighted they wont clean around it.

Auto home area is great for the main building your base chunk of the game, but once you have things set in place/built up its more trouble than its worth imo, and I turn it off.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
hell yeah, legendary hyperweave kid tribalwear

I really enjoy modded functionality to manufacture glitter-tech items, especially with glitterworld medicine being a component of armor-enhancing mechanites (flat 50% reduction of incoming damage, from the FSF bionics expansion).

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The best skill in vanilla psycasts expanded is the really low level skill that allows you to increase the quality level of an item. It says it caps out at good quality, right? what it doesn't say is that it scales with psychic sensitivity. You can get it to excellent. or masterwork. Or legendary.

Did you know that if you start a bestowing ceremony with the wrong pawn you can make that pawn leave the ceremony and the bestower will stand still till he falls down from starvation and drops all his psylink neuroformers? and you can then feed the bestower and he will leave and you can do it again? and again? and again? forever?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Technomancer is really busted and a lot of its power comes from the two basic skills. You mentioned enchant quality as one of the two culprits, and mend is basically equally broken because it means that once you have a masterwork or legendary piece that piece will never degrade or break down ever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just tried the corpse talk ability from psycast expanded and dear god. It made a pawn with 1 construction have 16, and lasts 15 days.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a mod that gets rid of construction botching? I am so tired of seeing my colonist gently caress up making a floor

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Any got any good race/faction mod suggestions aside from 40k stuff. I want some fun but weird/unique stuff. Non of that anime waifu stuff though please.

Also, suggestions for a new story teller, along the same mind or lines of randy, but not randy if that makes sense. I want someone a bit unpredictable who's gonna back off when I fail and kill me accidentally rather than force me off the planet with a raid the same size as the one that just killed half my pawns.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
speaking of custom races, does anyone know of a good guide to build a faction, genes, names and what not. i used this guide to make a sheeple xenotype with their own faction, but that faction is just basically friendly tribalsin all but xenotype makeup. also would love to learn how to add genes so i can remove their "pig ears" for essentially the same thing but named different

long goal is to figure out how to make it a custom race that can also be sheared somehow

im dumb and don't know how to code but im trying!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

VideoWitch posted:

Is there a mod that gets rid of construction botching? I am so tired of seeing my colonist gently caress up making a floor

Character Editor or some kind of skill training mod if that's too easy and you'd rather pay time+resources to grind all your builders up to the 8(?) skill to have 100% construct success chance? Or buy/cheat yourself a few skilltrainer injectors?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Custom scenario and change the construction success chance.

If you do it in a new game, you can then open the save games with a text editor like notepad++ and copy over the relevant part to your normal save.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Any got any good race/faction mod suggestions aside from 40k stuff. I want some fun but weird/unique stuff. Non of that anime waifu stuff though please.

Alpha genes adds several new ones that are fun, as well as many new genes.

Vanilla Races expanded has a few interesting ones.

Then RimRaces for non-genetype editing, they're true aliens.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Are there any mods that would add something like DF’s manager screen where you can just type in an order you want and see your inventory stocks? Also something like the DF workflow system where you can tell people to maintain certain levels of items in your stocks

Is that combat extended mod worth it? Having actual magazines and projectile paths for the guns sounds cool but it also sounds like it might hurt performance with all that nonsense flying around. Bit wary of ammo management too, since in df it wasn’t an issue since bolts were easy to make and worked for everything

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 16, 2024

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Are there any mods that would add something like DF’s manager screen where you can just type in an order you want and see your inventory stocks? Also something like the DF workflow system where you can tell people to maintain certain levels of items in your stocks

In Dub's Mint Menus there's a tab where you can bring up all your production buildings and check their bills. It adds a lot of functions like copying and pasting multiple bills on a building, so it helps mitigate a lot of the micro-management.

In the base game you can click the options for any bill and select "do until you have x" and your pawns will keep doing that work until you have x of that item or resource.

When I started playing I used Inventory Tab to help me keep track of misplaced items and stuff that doesn't display in the resource readout. It has a search function and will select the items you're looking so they're easier to find. I don't really get a lot of use out of it these days as I've become better with stockpile settings, but it comes in handy every now and then.

I never played Dwarf Fortress, so I hope these mods are kinda what you're looking for.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is that combat extended mod worth it? Having actual magazines and projectile paths for the guns sounds cool but it also sounds like it might hurt performance with all that nonsense flying around. Bit wary of ammo management too, since in df it wasn’t an issue since bolts were easy to make and worked for everything

Seeing inventory stocks is a vanilla thing but it's not a clean window (the overlay on the left side of the screen, if you're running performance mods it might have been disabled). Nothing to let you simply type in orders that I'm aware of, but maintaining stockpile levels is a vanilla feature (change bills from craft X to craft until). Consider checking out the Better Workbench Management mod as well.

Combat Extended is very polarizing, some people swear by it while others hate it. I think the performance impact in combat is negligible but the additional complexity it adds to stockpile management and pawns trying to maintain combat loads is not. The bigger issue in my opinion is the knock on effects on game balance where you have to know how the new combat system works and rush specific techs or you eventually get your poo poo kicked in by a higher tech opponent that you can't touch because you didn't prepare the hard counters.

Is there anything specific you dislike about how vanilla combat works? Because there are other options like Yayo Combat that makes changes without jumping into the deep end of gun grognardism.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yeah CE has it's own learning curve, especially trying to deal with mechs or people in power armor, it's quite different that in vanilla combat and require different tactics and more active management of your dudes when engaged. It makes the combat a more active thing, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on what you want out of it.

On the other hand ammo is not much of a concern once you have set the loadouts, your pawns will resupply on their own and it's just a matter of setting the production orders for the ammo you're using so you always have some on hand. Ammo's cheap to make and comes in big batches, it's only a problem if you're trying to use looted weapons you can't produce the ammo for.

Edit : protip, manned MG turrets absolutely own in CE, they can deal with a wide variety of threats very effectively, one of my very first defensive goals is to make one and put it in a central panic room in my base. It serves to either handle drop pod raids by making the main corridors no-go zones for anyone hostile, and if a raid comes in my main constructor's job is to move it around to prepared fighting positions around the base depending on where the raid is coming from.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 17, 2024

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
We should be due for an expansion, right?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kafouille posted:

On the other hand ammo is not much of a concern once you have set the loadouts, your pawns will resupply on their own and it's just a matter of setting the production orders for the ammo you're using so you always have some on hand. Ammo's cheap to make and comes in big batches, it's only a problem if you're trying to use looted weapons you can't produce the ammo for.

I was thinking more about how it adds dozens of ammo types to a game that already gets stressed when there are too many items (due to how stockpiles are coded and how the work station bill UI is designed), then adds a loadout system that has pawns checking against a list of things constantly so you have a TPS hit that grows as your colony gets bigger. If someone is worried enough to ask if the bullet trajectory mechanics are enough to be a performance issue, they probably should be more concerned about the stockpile stuff instead. It's not like you're going to be running at speed 3 during combat anyways.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yeah that's fair enough, I meant about managing ammo as a player, not the performance impact for the cpu. But tbh it doesn't seem to be a big impact, they don't check loadouts all that often at random, it seems to be mostly when you undraft them, witch makes sense.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

George Sex - REAL posted:

We should be due for an expansion, right?

I'd like to see an expansion that gives more win conditions. The devs should just accept that some players don't actually want to leave the planet or become one with the archo-singularity and provide avenues to explore long-term settlement. Maybe allow for a diplomatic victory, or world-wide conquest, or even turning this outback planet into a new glitterworld through tech.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Alpha genes adds several new ones that are fun, as well as many new genes.

Vanilla Races expanded has a few interesting ones.

Then RimRaces for non-genetype editing, they're true aliens.

Cheers I'll check them out.

I'm having a hard time trying to nail down a couple of conflicts I have currently, before I can enjoy a nice long game.

I've missed this in some ways. But it's still a huge pain.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

I'd like to see an expansion that gives more win conditions. The devs should just accept that some players don't actually want to leave the planet or become one with the archo-singularity and provide avenues to explore long-term settlement. Maybe allow for a diplomatic victory, or world-wide conquest, or even turning this outback planet into a new glitterworld through tech.

Convert the planet to your ideo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Convert the planet to your ideo.

Surprised this isn't an actual thing. Don't think its a mod option either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Leal posted:

Surprised this isn't an actual thing. Don't think its a mod option either.

There is a mod for it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2829387657

Once you convert and release a certain number of people it turns the whole faction to your ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there something special about red foxes that they won't breed? I've tamed 3 red foxes now, 2 females aged 1 and 4, and a make aged 2. I've had them for upwards of a year with no babies. None of them have any health problems, they all hang out near each other, I even caught them uh, being mammals once, but still not a single pregnancy. I have chinchillas and chickens that all breed like rabbits, and have previously had plenty of other species. I don't have any real animal mods I can think of that affect breeding, no idea what the deal is with these foxes.