Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s another Venom movie coming out this year. I enjoyed the first one but the sequel was really forgettable. Not quite 3 years ago and I only remember the very broad strokes. Pretty underwhelming after years of listening to Spiderman dorks shriek about how XTreme Carnage is.

I might see this new one depending on how it’s rated. I haven’t seen a superhero movie in the theater since Love and Thunder almost 2 years ago.

I just read something that reminded me that Venom gave a coming out speech in a rave int hat movie, so it at least has that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

I just read something that reminded me that Venom gave a coming out speech in a rave int hat movie, so it at least has that
It had some good stuff, mostly Venom antics, but the main plot is really forgettable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

8one6 posted:

J Jonah Jameson: Origins
It's a hard-hitting political thriller about an uncompromising New York reporter.

I would totally watch a JJJ origin movie if they used one of his original origins for hating heroes.

He was a young reporter sent to Mississippi to cover Freedom Summer and had his fill of vigilantes in masks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

It had some good stuff, mostly Venom antics, but the main plot is really forgettable.
In fairness this is almost all Venom comics

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hasturtium posted:

Speaking as someone who read a lot of comics 30 years ago and was enough of a dork to get excited about Guardians of the Galaxy when it was first announced… who the gently caress are the Thunderbolts?

Initially, Thunderbolts was a diamond in the rough during the lovely 90s. After this big storyline had the Avengers and Fantastic Four go missing, this new superhero team showed up and won the hearts of everyone. Then in the end of the first issue, we discover that the patriotic swashbuckling leader Citizen V is actually Baron Zemo and all the Thunderbolts are secretly all supervillains in disguise in a plot for world domination. The overarching plot was that various members find out that they genuinely enjoy being heroes and have a crisis of conscience, leading to them betraying Zemo. Hawkeye eventually sees promise in them and takes over as the leader.

The problem is that they can't really do that as a movie because they already used that initial twist for Mysterio in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

But the comic changed into different status quos and line-ups over the years. At one point it was just about an underground fight club made of villains. At one point it was a team of antiheroes starting a club where each member needed help with a personal mission that they couldn't do themselves, so they would pull names out of a hat to figure out who got to go next. Sometimes it would just be a blatant knockoff of Suicide Squad with varying levels of corruption depending on who was leading the team (ie. Norman Osborn, Luke Cage).

Nearly everyone from the movie line-up has been a member of the team in one form or another, though there are no original members in there. Hell, other than Zemo, none of the original Thunderbolts have shown up in the MCU at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

Initially, Thunderbolts was a diamond in the rough during the lovely 90s. After this big storyline had the Avengers and Fantastic Four go missing, this new superhero team showed up and won the hearts of everyone. Then in the end of the first issue, we discover that the patriotic swashbuckling leader Citizen V is actually Baron Zemo and all the Thunderbolts are secretly all supervillains in disguise in a plot for world domination. The overarching plot was that various members find out that they genuinely enjoy being heroes and have a crisis of conscience, leading to them betraying Zemo. Hawkeye eventually sees promise in them and takes over as the leader.

The problem is that they can't really do that as a movie because they already used that initial twist for Mysterio in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

But the comic changed into different status quos and line-ups over the years. At one point it was just about an underground fight club made of villains. At one point it was a team of antiheroes starting a club where each member needed help with a personal mission that they couldn't do themselves, so they would pull names out of a hat to figure out who got to go next. Sometimes it would just be a blatant knockoff of Suicide Squad with varying levels of corruption depending on who was leading the team (ie. Norman Osborn, Luke Cage).

Nearly everyone from the movie line-up has been a member of the team in one form or another, though there are no original members in there. Hell, other than Zemo, none of the original Thunderbolts have shown up in the MCU at all.

That original twist wouldn't work for the movie anyway unless everyone was an Iron Man in a different armor. In the comics, you can have Atlas and Meteorite and reveal them to be Goliath and Moonstone no problem because nobody remembers how the gently caress they look and they are drawn differently from issue to issue anyway. You can not have Wyatt Russel show up and pretend to be Captain Freedom and then reveal that A-Ha! It was U.S. Agent all along!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know they could just make a Paul Giamatti Rhino movie

:yeah:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know they could just make a Paul Giamatti Rhino movie

You mean a movie where he shows up at the beginning with his pants pulled down, hobbling off-screen for 60 minutes only to return at the end in full Rhino armor?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can we retcon Sideways into a Rhino origin story?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

That original twist wouldn't work for the movie anyway unless everyone was an Iron Man in a different armor. In the comics, you can have Atlas and Meteorite and reveal them to be Goliath and Moonstone no problem because nobody remembers how the gently caress they look and they are drawn differently from issue to issue anyway. You can not have Wyatt Russel show up and pretend to be Captain Freedom and then reveal that A-Ha! It was U.S. Agent all along!

Isn’t Zemo already in the mcu? Have these guys join the thunderbolts thinking they’re working for some government agency headed by Citizen V only for them to discover at the end of the first act that he’s actually Zemo under the mask and their operations led to small third world countries to be destabilized so fascist dictators can be installed in power. The third act twist is that Zemo’s black ops wetwork operation is in fact backed and funded by the US government and they have to choose between continuing to work for the organization or commit treason and fight against it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zemo did a silly dance in a Disney+ show, so he's not a villain anymore.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think Zemo's whole deal in the MCU is that he hates super-powered people. They actually managed to develop that trait in the Falcon show fairly well. Would be kind of weird for him to do a 180 and lead his own Avengers, but I'd be willing to see what they make of it.

More Daniel Brühl is a net good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The MCU kept up a weirdly persistent trend of supervillains always dying or being sidelined and forgotten about. Were they going to do anything with Justin Hammer? I suppose the Abomination too also got teased but dropped. The only one they even bothered to build up meaningfully was Thanos. And kinda Scarlet Witch.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The MCU kept up a weirdly persistent trend of supervillains always dying or being sidelined and forgotten about. Were they going to do anything with Justin Hammer? I suppose the Abomination too also got teased but dropped. The only one they even bothered to build up meaningfully was Thanos. And kinda Scarlet Witch.

Mordo's gonna get his big break any day now baby!

Seriously though, I feel like this trend has come back to bite the MCU in the rear end more and more as time goes on. They brought back Ronan for Captain Marvel and built him up as some big threat, even though he already died in an unrelated movie seven years ago. Seeing the villain get got in the end is great for a rush of instant gratification but that well is gonna run dry sooner or later if you just keep doing that poo poo forever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Abomination showed again in She-Hulk and it was great because Tim Roth got to be a weirdo hippy and hold group therapy sessions for lovely Z-tier Marvel villains.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Were they going to do anything with Justin Hammer?

Armor Wars is a movie now so he may show up in that, he did voice himself in What If? and seems down to return

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Justin Hammer had a brief appearance as a fellow prisoner in the Marvel one shot All Hail The King, which shows you what happened to Ben Kingsley's character after Iron Man 3.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Mordo's gonna get his big break any day now baby!

Mordo and Strange's conflict happening entirely off screen between films is one of the dumbest throw away lines in MoM.

He should of been the main villain, if they had used him will in Strange films he could of been a new Loki like recurring frenemy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like this sort of thing would only make the MCU worse.

The nature of movies vs comics is that you are only going to have a limited number of them. What is the point of saving all your villains if you never have time to revisit them? Right now heroes are lucky to get more than one solo film and usually each has a large stable of villains that can be explored for different stories.

Imagine if they had to stick Ronan into GotG 2 and 3 instead of introducing Ego and High Evolutionary.

Marvel smartly limited the number of recurring villains.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's less that Marvel doesn't have recurring villains, it's that they keep having villains that are painfully lame and can barely support a single movie. They rarely leave you really wanting more

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Zemo is a hero and should lead the Avengers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Imagine if they hadn't killed Michael B Jordan's character at the end of Black Panther, then they'd have a guy who was right all along, wanted to do the right thing, had a magic suit, and was a celebrity who could take over the role.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Baron von Eevl posted:

Imagine if they hadn't killed Michael B Jordan's character at the end of Black Panther, then they'd have a guy who was right all along, wanted to do the right thing, had a magic suit, and was a celebrity who could take over the role.

They should of just recast any way. Any film that dealt with Boseman's death like it happened in universe was going to be a dire experience.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Isn’t Zemo already in the mcu? Have these guys join the thunderbolts thinking they’re working for some government agency headed by Citizen V only for them to discover at the end of the first act that he’s actually Zemo under the mask and their operations led to small third world countries to be destabilized so fascist dictators can be installed in power. The third act twist is that Zemo’s black ops wetwork operation is in fact backed and funded by the US government and they have to choose between continuing to work for the organization or commit treason and fight against it.

US government is the good guy in the MCU so you'd have to have it be HYDRA and then you are just doing Winter Soldier/civil war again

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who said anything about good guys or villains?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Asterite34 posted:

It's less that Marvel doesn't have recurring villains, it's that they keep having villains that are painfully lame and can barely support a single movie. They rarely leave you really wanting more

Ironically enough I really wanted more Obadiah Stane. From the jump Marvel told me "better things are not possible", heh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bridges had a hard enough time getting through production on Iron Man, imagine if he tried to make a movie with them today under the conditions they currently operate under. He'd go insane and quit halfway through shooting or something.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Marvel released a picture of the Fantastic Four cast and forget those doubts I had yesterday, I'm on board for the looks at least. Now all they need is a half decent story! :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looks like poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if they're not doing it as an animated movie, they're not taking it seriously and why should i

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A pitch straight for the dumpster (Disney+)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it is funny that they teased Office Jim as Reed Richards and everyone was like "ew no" so they had to go back to the drawing board lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wonder if the third time will be the charm and THIS will be the F4 movie that the people will love

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fourth time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol Failtastic 4 times

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it is funny that they teased Office Jim as Reed Richards and everyone was like "ew no" so they had to go back to the drawing board lol

He had been a popular fan cast for Reed for a while. The cameo was more for fan service than an actual test.

Grendels Dad posted:

I think Zemo's whole deal in the MCU is that he hates super-powered people. They actually managed to develop that trait in the Falcon show fairly well. Would be kind of weird for him to do a 180 and lead his own Avengers, but I'd be willing to see what they make of it.

More Daniel Brühl is a net good.

I could see him leading a group to do the right thing the worst way possible to make super heroes look stupid and ridiculous but Marvel would certainly benefit from fewer false flag storylines.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's me. The guy who wants to see the fantastic four set in the 60s with retro future poo poo. Ben is reading a Life magazine from December 1963 so maybe?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's me. The guy who wants to see the fantastic four set in the 60s with retro future poo poo. Ben is reading a Life magazine from December 1963 so maybe?

Hope it's a Mad Men/MCU crossover

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Napoleon DLC pack dropping March 1st

https://twitter.com/AppleFilms/status/1758161576509514035

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder if the third time will be the charm and THIS will be the F4 movie that the people will love

You mean four times the charm, because I still count the aborted Roger Corman Fantastic Four film. It at least got filmed, just never released.