Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pener posted a tweet in the IP thread about how the colossal miscalculations the US has made has lead to something that 25 years ago would have been considered a "Nightmare" scenario.

The US bet that cutting off Russia from the European markets would lead to its collapse. This war was instigated for that purpose. Russia has successfully pivoted and are transitioning to a war economy thats going to make them more "dangerous" to the west than at any point after the collapse of the soviet union. Lost that bet bigly.

They bet they could control chinas growth by limiting what technologies they could import. China's homegrown sectors are growing so fast that the west is scared that china will outcompete and destroy their own economies (and they will). Lost the bet catastrophically.

They bet they could box in Iran by invading Afghanistan and Iraq. The US has already been kicked out of Afghanistan and god willing they will be kicked out of Iraq too (and syria while they are at it). The taliban had issues earlier with Iran after they regained control of Afghanistan but have since been working to fix the relationship. Another failed bet by the US.

Now all 3 are working together in their own ways to gently caress up the US hegemony. The neoliberal rot and the incompetent failson that make up the decisions are dooming the empire like its always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cool

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They bet they could control chinas growth by limiting what technologies they could import. China's homegrown sectors are growing so fast that the west is scared that china will outcompete and destroy their own economies (and they will). Lost the bet catastrophically.

Oh don't worry... I found this passage in The Anti Communist's Guide to Communism, and in the Why is Communism Bad section, it says right there in black and white that communism can't innovate. So there you have it. No problemo!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

Biden Slashes F-35 Jet Order 18% in 2025 Budget Request, Sources Say

Is having fewer of these bad planes good or bad?

On one hand, a bunch of grift programs aren't getting funded. On the other, America can't even rebuild its weapon stocks at the glacial rate they said they could.

The fewer grift hanger queens the better.

I think they probably needed the money to pay for the handful of B-21 raiders on order. Pricey things.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Nothus posted:

He's dying of prostate cancer. They can't admit it or replace him because it would start raising questions about Biden's fitness for office. Our political system is completely paralyzed

That's even more dystopian, christ

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Biden Slashes F-35 Jet Order 18% in 2025 Budget Request, Sources Say

Is having fewer of these bad planes good or bad?

On one hand, a bunch of grift programs aren't getting funded. On the other, America can't even rebuild its weapon stocks at the glacial rate they said they could.

they'll make up for it by forcing vassal states to start buying more of them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-plans-brief-lawmakers-house-chairman-warns/story?id=107232293

House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters at the Capitol on Wednesday afternoon.

"But we just want to assure everyone steady hands are at the wheel," he said.

:ironicat:

Yeah sure bud, steady hands are at th-OH MY GOD IS THAT A TRANS PERSON SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING CALL THE SHUTTLE

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i was out for a few days, lloyd austin was hospitalized again, transferred to critical care at Walter Reed like three days ago and now he's out and fine? are they weekend at bidening him?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Pener posted a tweet in the IP thread...

would you mind linking it?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

poisonpill posted:

would you mind linking it?

https://x.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1757503765777670477?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Doubling down got us through the past century soooo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I do like that the Americans inherited the British obsession since 1816 of never letting Russia and Germany form an alliance.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://news.usni.org/2024/02/13/marine-to-test-logistics-drone-inspired-by-drug-running-narco-subs

quote:

news.usni.org
Marines to Test Logistics Drone Inspired by Drug Running Narco Subs - USNI News
Mallory Shelbourne
February 13, 2024 9:22 PM
5–6 minutes

SAN DIEGO – The Marine Corps will soon test a prototype logistics supply drone inspired by drug smuggling narco subs, a service official said Tuesday.

The upcoming month-long Project Convergence drills in California will allow the Marine Corps to test the autonomous low-profile vessel, a potential way for the Marine Corps to perform resupply missions in a wartime scenario when adversaries would seek to cut off sea lines of communication.

“This upcoming Capstone 4 is going to be the first operational [event] in the context of an exercise where we’re going to use it,” Lt. Gen. Karsten Heckl told reporters at the WEST 2024 conference, co-hosted by the U.S. Naval Institute and AFCEA.

Heckl, the deputy commandant for combat development and integration, described the unmanned semi-submersible vessel as “very, very affordable, almost to the point of being attritable.” The service has had the platform for about a year and performed tests, including loading and offloading the prototype from a stern landing vessel and a Spearhead-class expeditionary fast transport ship in the James River in Virginia.

The vessel is modeled after narco submarines used by drug runners, which Heckl noted Joint Interagency Task Force South has trouble tracking in U.S. Southern Command. In a contested logistics environment, the Marine Corps would need assets that could perform the resupply mission without adversary detection, meaning a semi-submersible with minimal wake is an ideal option.

“We just took a page out of the narco drug runners’ playbook,” he said.

The autonomous low-profile vessel can carry two Naval Strike Missiles and fulfills the Marine Corps’ need to focus on lethality in a contested logistics, Heckl said.

“It’s specifically form functioned to meet the cube and weight of two [Naval] Strike Missiles for our NMESIS systems,” he said, referring to the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System.

Several years ago, the Marine Corps worked with Raytheon to mount a Naval Strike Missile on a modified unmanned Joint Light Tactical Vehicle chassis, using a Remotely Operated Ground Unit for Expeditionary (ROGUE) Fires as the launcher. Since then, ROGUE NMESIS has emerged as a key part of the Marine Corps’ pursuit of anti-ship weapons capability.

Heckl said a small business built the original vessel prototype, but that the Marine Corps would likely need a larger company to build the vessels if the service wants to buy more.

“You can imagine if these things are inexpensive and we can develop a different variant to do a different kind of logistics mission,” he said. “But right now, again, based on the direction of staying focused on lethality, that’s where we went with this. And it’s working well.”

Project Convergence will kick off Feb. 23 and continue for about a month at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and the Army’s National Training Center, according to a U.S. Army news release about the exercise. The Army-led exercise will include participation from the Pentagon’s five military services and several allies and partners.

Confronted by the same dilemma that Imperial Japanese garrisons faced in the Pacific War; the US Marines converge upon the same solution of sub-based logistics in order to refill one two-missile launcher with anti-ship missiles.

Said missiles are betting on stealth wunderwaffe and thus have the same range and in the ballpark of speed as a PLA export missile introduced in the 2000s.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

What if they just had space x make a landing booster for the rockets so that they can fly in the rockets from anywhere, land on the ship, and toss the transit booster off the edge?

We're being dumb about this, let's just go for it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What if there was both a US flagged merchant marine and USN transport and cargo ships?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
None of those options let the narco entrepreneur/MIC c level legitamise their sub building business.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
To be somewhat fair, the US & Soviet Union have had orbital nuclear weapon capability before the 1967 Outer Space Treaty banning nuclear weapons in space. Starfish Prime in 1962 blinded satellites with a nuke going off at 400km altitude.

The real political concern issue is, the US, Russia & China have early warning satellites, which would most likely crippled by a nuke going off in high orbit. Since you can't replace those in 5 minutes, it'd be fairly reasonable for any of those countries to assume a nuclear strike on their facilities or cities is either underway, or about to occur...unless they want to look out the window & wait for a bright light. Would the US, Russian or Chinese leadership actually trust a hotline telephone call from whoever's responsible saying "We just took out your only early warning capability against ICBMs, but trust me bro, we're not currently launching nukes at you, or plan to in the immediate future. Sure, you can't verify that we're telling the truth, but why would we lie, honestly?" Probably not.

It could be also a "We have nukes in orbit, let us attack XYZ without helping them at all, not even with supplies or conventional forces, or else we de-orbit them & nuke your cities" type bluff. Decades of geopolitical screw-ups along with idiotic War on Terror bullshit aside, I'm still not very comfortable about the whole "My country can do whatever without consequence against other countries we don't like, we'll just openly & repeatedly threaten nuclear attack if they dare to ask their allies for help" approach, regardless of which ever country says that. Call me a hippy, but I don't see that as a good or stabilizing thing, period. Unless you want most countries to develop their own nuclear, chemical, biological and also conventional capabilities to counter non WMD attacks, in which case...

(admin removed far side comic)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

i was out for a few days, lloyd austin was hospitalized again, transferred to critical care at Walter Reed like three days ago and now he's out and fine? are they weekend at bidening him?

yes same for biden and mcconnell and feinstein and trump and everyone else in power

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ukraine thread regulars will remember that Trent here was the guy who saw one picture of burst tires on a Russian truck in March 2022 and said the invasion would fail because the China-sourced tires were bad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Livo posted:

https://i.postimg.cc/zBChZ5RV/Far-Side-What-If-We-Threw-A-War.jpg
delete this picture if you love Jeffrey of yospos

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Livo posted:

To be somewhat fair, the US & Soviet Union have had orbital nuclear weapon capability before the 1967 Outer Space Treaty banning nuclear weapons in space. Starfish Prime in 1962 blinded satellites with a nuke going off at 400km altitude.

The real political concern issue is, the US, Russia & China have early warning satellites, which would most likely crippled by a nuke going off in high orbit. Since you can't replace those in 5 minutes, it'd be fairly reasonable for any of those countries to assume a nuclear strike on their facilities or cities is either underway, or about to occur...unless they want to look out the window & wait for a bright light. Would the US, Russian or Chinese leadership actually trust a hotline telephone call from whoever's responsible saying "We just took out your only early warning capability against ICBMs, but trust me bro, we're not currently launching nukes at you, or plan to in the immediate future. Sure, you can't verify that we're telling the truth, but why would we lie, honestly?" Probably not.

It could be also a "We have nukes in orbit, let us attack XYZ without helping them at all, not even with supplies or conventional forces, or else we de-orbit them & nuke your cities" type bluff. Decades of geopolitical screw-ups along with idiotic War on Terror bullshit aside, I'm still not very comfortable about the whole "My country can do whatever without consequence against other countries we don't like, we'll just openly & repeatedly threaten nuclear attack if they dare to ask their allies for help" approach, regardless of which ever country says that. Call me a hippy, but I don't see that as a good or stabilizing thing, period. Unless you want most countries to develop their own nuclear, chemical, biological and also conventional capabilities to counter non WMD attacks, in which case...

Gary larsons gonna have you kneecapped.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/USNINews/status/1757592155789701237

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"say why do all of our weapons and logistics assume we're going to be trapped on some tiny island in the south china sea without hope of relief"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Larson will win WW3

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

they’re testing drones they developed? :confused:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mandel Brotset posted:

they’re testing drones they developed? :confused:

makes perfect sense: the marines are testing drones the cia developed

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

"China bad because they steal intellectual property, unlike us."

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
lol i would love to see that case go to trial

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are we planning on starting a new opium war or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"inspired" by narco subs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I love how the CIA just does whatever and sometimes it aligns with what the DoD wants to do

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

are we planning on starting a new opium war or something

100% there have been multiple programs proposed in the last decade year to try to stir up a drug problem in China "to avenge the scourge of fentanyl."

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i thought the cia offloaded drug smuggling to special forces? maybe they just have those guys in the distribution network as potential fall guys?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

i thought the cia offloaded drug smuggling to special forces? maybe they just have those guys in the distribution network as potential fall guys?

i mean by 'developed by the cia' i mean 'developed by lockheed martin or raytheon or whatever other ghoulish MIC concern actually handled it, then used for CIA operations with agents pulled from ft hood or whatever other pile of garbage humans they grabbed at random' but that's a lot less snappy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
developed by the cia, manufactured in china

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

atelier morgan posted:

and no reporter will ever ask why the CIA is developing its own narco subs

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

atelier morgan posted:

oh yes sorry i forgot to swap my uniform patches

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTlWOex4B-A

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and no reporter will ever ask why the CIA is developing its own narco subs

Is that the Seawolf Jimmy Carter? LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lmao

ive always loved how the nato commitment is based on a percentage of gpd. it's got nothing to do with hardware, troops, or capabilities. it's straight up: shovel this much money into the MIC grift's maw.