Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I think the real trick here is to always prioritize maxing out school social links over everyone else, even if that means ignoring people on holidays to pray at the shrine instead. Also Mitsuru is the only person available before a test so don't bother hanging out with her earlier than that or you'll waste days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol well I was wondering if the remake would do something to make Ikutsuki's betrayal a bit less abrupt and goofy but I guess not. Even something as simple as an actual hopeless bossfight against a fully powered Aigis instead of the same smash cut to the next scene would have been appreciated. It's not a huge deal or anything but it is kinda interesting that a decent amount of new content has been added so far to flesh out Strega, but Ikutsuki didn't get the same treatment leading up to his big scene.

And oh boy Ryoji is here, joy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Was Ken listening in on Akihiko and Shinjiro's strip mall conversation and deducing the latter was his mother's killer newly-added to Reload? I don't recall this taking place in P3P.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was definitely there in the original, it’s what caused him to join as an active frontliner in the first place.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Sydin posted:

lol well I was wondering if the remake would do something to make Ikutsuki's betrayal a bit less abrupt and goofy but I guess not. Even something as simple as an actual hopeless bossfight against a fully powered Aigis instead of the same smash cut to the next scene would have been appreciated. It's not a huge deal or anything but it is kinda interesting that a decent amount of new content has been added so far to flesh out Strega, but Ikutsuki didn't get the same treatment leading up to his big scene.

And oh boy Ryoji is here, joy.

It's even more silly than the original, because there Aigis powers up and rushes the party, and in Reload, it's just a cut to black. At least they kept the original detail of Ikutsuki's plan failing because he still forgot to crucify the dog

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
finished it last night in sort of a rush since i was itching to just complete it

overall i can't say i could tell you what's different between it and p3p & p3fes beyond the obvious graphical stuff as it has been too long since i really played. i beat nyx fairly easily with just brave blading him to death outside of the one phase that had phys. resistance, which mitsuru just diamond dusted through in one hit. the game suffers a bit from being too long for me - i think that's sort of a hazard of just getting way too powerful towards the end, and at least in this one, the lack of really anything to do in january for the first 1/3rd of it since the only links available are the night time ones and sometimes star.

i still enjoyed most of it, i liked how the blocks got revised to all be different in ways other than whatever texture was slapped on them, altho the funky block felt like i was like 8 years old in chuck e cheese back in the days of yore. I felt like there was a clear disparity between the usefulness of major arcanas, with devil and the +draws being clear winners. this is fine, they do not all have to be super powered, honestly, the only must-get one to me felt like devil since you nearly double the drop resources from monsters and you double them from destructibles. (i got a dark floor and got like 20 twilight shards). i didn't max every social link since i dont follow guides and simply do not care if i do or not.

I got most of the bonus stuff for characters, some of them are forgettable bonuses, some of them are quite good (junpei getting +crit and + crit damage, for example) and some of them are forgettable enough that i dont remember what they are. koromaru's was lowkey useful for dealing with golden hands and their dodgyness earlier in the game

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 15, 2024

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
In Reloaded Junpei went from one of my least liked characters to my favorite. I love his remarks while exploring Tartarus. "Look at it, wandering around like a clown." If he's not in the party, it's not as fun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

See, that's interesting to me, because even just from FES Junpei is one of the most compelling party members in the series. He's often kind of lovely and jealous, obviously, but the Chidori stuff was legit probably the strongest material in the game to me. He's wrong a lot, but there's a clear compassion behind it, and he has a clear perspective that even after his second awakening continues to inform his character.

One of the most interesting scenes in the whole game for me is in December when Yukari (in an attempt at lightening the mood) teases him about being scared and he flips out because no one is taking their situation seriously and of course he's scared. The reason that scene works so well for me is because both characters are wrong. Junpei has a point, that Yukari is taking this too lightly, but also, Junpei is arguing that they should just give up. The only other character beat in the modern series I can think of that has anywhere near as much juice is in 4 when Yosuke, thinking Nanako is dead, argues to push Namatame into the TV, still clearly hung up over Saki's death. That scene is a lot more dramatic and climactic, but also Yosuke is used so often as an instrument for lovely comedy that parts of it don't work as well as they might've.

I also really like Junpei's Social Link in the female route, he's got a great dynamic with the protagonist. My main problem with his character might legitimately be that he's several times more interesting than several other party members.

e: that said, if your point was just that it's more enjoyable that his voice actor isn't a horrible monster now, uh, yeah, I agree

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Arist posted:

See, that's interesting to me, because even just from FES Junpei is one of the most compelling party members in the series. He's often kind of lovely and jealous, obviously, but the Chidori stuff was legit probably the strongest material in the game to me. He's wrong a lot, but there's a clear compassion behind it, and he has a clear perspective that even after his second awakening continues to inform his character.

One of the most interesting scenes in the whole game for me is in December when Yukari (in an attempt at lightening the mood) teases him about being scared and he flips out because no one is taking their situation seriously and of course he's scared. The reason that scene works so well for me is because both characters are wrong. Junpei has a point, that Yukari is taking this too lightly, but also, Junpei is arguing that they should just give up. The only other character beat in the modern series I can think of that has anywhere near as much juice is in 4 when Yosuke, thinking Nanako is dead, argues to push Namatame into the TV, still clearly hung up over Saki's death. That scene is a lot more dramatic and climactic, but also Yosuke is used so often as an instrument for lovely comedy that parts of it don't work as well as they might've.

I also really like Junpei's Social Link in the female route, he's got a great dynamic with the protagonist. My main problem with his character might legitimately be that he's several times more interesting than several other party members.

e: that said, if your point was just that it's more enjoyable that his voice actor isn't a horrible criminal now, uh, yeah, I agree

the only guys i didn't really care for at all was akihiko and ken mostly because akihiko felt kind of bland and something about ken just really annoyed me. but that's me, the type of Gamer that finds a character annoying just once or twice and then benches them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Junpei's great and I wonder how much of the general fandom hate he gets stems from people who played the game when they were around his age screaming "no... you're not me!!!!!!" at the screen anytime he acted like a typical teenage boy. He's washed out of his childhood dream and stuck in a rut, finds out he has a super power that can be used to saved the world and gets really hype about it, only to be instantly overshadowed by a peer who not only has way better superpowers but also swoops up a leadership role and the admiration of all of SEES. So yeah he's overcompensating and low key bitter for a lot of the story until Chidori enters the picture and his arc is about overcoming his need to play the hero in order to feel like he has any self worth. And yeah he's the designated horny guy of the persona party but all he does is say cringe, it never rises even close to the level of Teddy's bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

Junpei's great and I wonder how much of the general fandom hate he gets stems from people who played the game when they were around his age screaming "no... you're not me!!!!!!" at the screen anytime he acted like a typical teenage boy. He's washed out of his childhood dream and stuck in a rut, finds out he has a super power that can be used to saved the world and gets really hype about it, only to be instantly overshadowed by a peer who not only has way better superpowers but also swoops up a leadership role and the admiration of all of SEES. So yeah he's overcompensating and low key bitter for a lot of the story until Chidori enters the picture and his arc is about overcoming his need to play the hero in order to feel like he has any self worth. And yeah he's the designated horny guy of the persona party but all he does is say cringe, it never rises even close to the level of Teddy's bullshit.

Junpei is the dude responsible for the Hot Springs bullshit, he is absolutely that bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Junpei is the dude responsible for the Hot Springs bullshit, he is absolutely that bad.

to be completely fair that was at least partially Ryoji

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ImpAtom posted:

lol please do not remind me about the hotspring, I'm loving dreading getting to that bit but it's coming like a freight train.

Remembering when P5 dodged the obligatory dogshit hotspring gag and I thought whew thank gently caress, and then in its one and only genuine mistake Strikers swerved back and put one in.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that's still not as bad as Teddie/Yosuke, but it's not good

honestly I think Akihiko comes off the worst because he doesn't stop them and afterwards is all "this was all them, I was dragged into it against my will and take no responsibility"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that's still not as bad as Teddie/Yosuke, but it's not good

honestly I think Akihiko comes off the worst because he doesn't stop them and afterwards is all "this was all them, I was dragged into it against my will and take no responsibility"

IIRC Akihiko got legitimately tricked and was demanding they leave but by then it was too late.

(In a sane world he could have yelled out "Hey, guys, we're in here, hold up a second" but reasonable responses to anime hijinks are not allowed.)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Sloober posted:

the only guys i didn't really care for at all was akihiko and ken mostly because akihiko felt kind of bland and something about ken just really annoyed me. but that's me, the type of Gamer that finds a character annoying just once or twice and then benches them

I haven't gotten to Ken yet in Reloaded but in Portable I loved his little sayings and the milk surveillance video is hilarious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
junpei probably gets the best deal out of the three Hot Blooded Best Mates. i prefer ryuji’s personality but the plot does him dirty at every turn, while yosuke is basically a greatest hits compilation of the other two’s worst moments and with very few good points to balance them out

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
junpei is still best boy because he gave us the best hotsprings mission because it had a mini stealth action and Mitsuru's execution meme and isnt just "kyaaa get them, girls!! *murders you even though you did nothing wrong*.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Junpei has his bad moments but he also has his good moments. Like a teenager. I generally like him though and he’s also got fun dances in P3DAN.

Also I recommend doing Ken and Shinjiro’s linked episodes, so good and really what they needed after MC not interacting with them much in the original. It also doesn’t feel like a retread of their FeMC SLs, unlike Koromaru.

(Gotta say, Yukari’s rejection scene feels almost as bad as Haru’s, woof.)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Boy I cannot believe they let you use charge on Scarlet Havoc. Just bananas.

In december and losing steam a bit but I think I will still push through. This game is pretty great but it's really been a reminder of how much they improved the game in the sequels. It's been fun to be reminded of the iteration.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am definitely annoyed at what you get for the temperance arcana. By that point you should be mostly done with social stats so that little boost, which would have been nice at the start of the game is pretty worthless.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Sydin posted:

Remembering when P5 dodged the obligatory dogshit hotspring gag and I thought whew thank gently caress, and then in its one and only genuine mistake Strikers swerved back and put one in.

It's arguably the worst scene of the lot because the guys did absolutely nothing wrong and if one of them had been allowed to have a functional brain and say "hey we're already in here" we'd have been spared that stupidity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Divine Intervention is the most busted poo poo in the game wtf is this ability

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's arguably the worst scene of the lot because the guys did absolutely nothing wrong and if one of them had been allowed to have a functional brain and say "hey we're already in here" we'd have been spared that stupidity.

That's even one of the options, but Morgana shuts you down!

Though I would argue it's the least worst because the boys genuinely aren't at fault, and no one entertains the idea of creeping on the girls. Still bad that it exists, but even designated horny boy Ryuji actually respects the girls when pressed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The guys also did nothing wrong in the P4 version, either. It's really only P3... and the Marie scene in P4G.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even the P3 one could have been averted with a "hey, we're still in here." Realistically there should've been some staff member kicking them out anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 16, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Most of the public baths I've been to that were at hotels were pretty much unstaffed. Though I've never gone to those with basically one big pool that was used by both genders, I've just gone to those that had separate baths.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Divine Intervention is the most busted poo poo in the game wtf is this ability

It's also fairly easy to charge too, guess they needed Ken to have a real edge up over Yukari, if in-built Invigorate++ wasn't enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly Ken having built in Invigorate is kind of annoying because his whole gimmick is that you want him constantly sitting just under half SP and that's way easier to manage manually with the mountain of SP items that get dropped into your lap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's also fairly easy to charge too, guess they needed Ken to have a real edge up over Yukari, if in-built Invigorate++ wasn't enough.

Ken's ability honestly kind of sucks. He charges faster at lower SP so you honestly want him to be at least a bit worn out but if you're playing effectively he'll be gaining plenty of SP and he doesn't exactly have anything more than other characters to spend it on. It's not terrible but he has the rare 'benefit' of being someone whose bonus skill actively makes getting Theurgy bonuses harder.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Most of the public baths I've been to that were at hotels were pretty much unstaffed. Though I've never gone to those with basically one big pool that was used by both genders, I've just gone to those that had separate baths.

Oh, but have you not considered having one of the baths conveniently be closed for maintenance to allow for Hijinx to Ensue?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The bath scene is dumb but is also like two minutes long in a 50 plus hour game. Who Cares

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly having just played through it last night it's way better than I remember, unless Reload cleaned it up significantly and I'm forgetting. Both Junpie and Ryoji come off like they were mostly just trying to get a rise out of Akihiko and weren't actually expecting the girls to show up, and when they do even Junpei's like "yeah okay gently caress this noise we gotta leave NOW", it's dumb that they don't just yell out "hey uh we're still in here, sorry we didn't notice the time please give us a second to leave" but also they're dumb teenage boys who are panicking. Also if you pick the right options you can sneak out and while normally I would not intentionally dodge comedy scenes, all bath house "comedy" in anime is dogshit.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sydin posted:

Honestly having just played through it last night it's way better than I remember, unless Reload cleaned it up significantly and I'm forgetting. Both Junpie and Ryoji come off like they were mostly just trying to get a rise out of Akihiko and weren't actually expecting the girls to show up, and when they do even Junpei's like "yeah okay gently caress this noise we gotta leave NOW", it's dumb that they don't just yell out "hey uh we're still in here, sorry we didn't notice the time please give us a second to leave" but also they're dumb teenage boys who are panicking. Also if you pick the right options you can sneak out and while normally I would not intentionally dodge comedy scenes, all bath house "comedy" in anime is dogshit.

Oh, could you not sneak out without too much of a fuss in the previous versions? When I got to the scene I thought it'd be way worse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

in the original you have to do a weird, bad semi-stealth sequence to avoid them until they leave

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah now it's just three dialogue options where you have to pick the correct thing or you get caught. The right answers are fairly intuitive as well.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah now it's just three dialogue options where you have to pick the correct thing or you get caught. The right answers are fairly intuitive as well.

Yeah, after playing I thought the escape was automatic

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How are Ryoji's Linked Episodes (content wise, not mechanical benefits), normally I'd have done them automatically but I think trying to max SLs is going to be really tight so I don't know if I'll just skip his days.

Haven't really planned out the days yet but here's who I have left:

Fuuka (Rank 4)
Kenji (Rank 4)
Chihiro (Rank 4)
Keisuke (Rank 8)
Mamoru (Rank 3)
Akinari (Rank 3)

And of course there's still Mitsuru and Aigis who can't be started yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they're bad. you can skip them

not sure if you can make it to all maxes with those ranks, but there's enough non-school days in december and and january to take care of mamoru (especially if you max akinari first, since mamoru's available on sundays) and mitsuru's available on the week before finals so you can clear 6 ranks with her in one shot with the dating app passes. you'll need the passes for fuuka too, her link gets aggravatingly short on points in the second half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I'm not too worried about Mamoru, it's the restricted school links and I know there will be bits that eat up time like the school trip coming up. I figure I can probably end up dropping Kenji or Chihiro if it comes down to it.

ImpAtom posted:

Ken's ability honestly kind of sucks. He charges faster at lower SP so you honestly want him to be at least a bit worn out but if you're playing effectively he'll be gaining plenty of SP and he doesn't exactly have anything more than other characters to spend it on. It's not terrible but he has the rare 'benefit' of being someone whose bonus skill actively makes getting Theurgy bonuses harder.

I honestly think that they've done a good job of balancing Ken and Yukari compared to P3 where Yukari was usually the better option. Now Ken has Dekaja, the better Theurgy and can charge faster under optimal conditions, but he can't heal statuses outside of items or Theurgy. Yukari getting Sukunda in Reload is also a nice extra something she can do.

I do think that they could have swapped Ken and Koromaru's characteristics. Koromaru can chew through his SP really quickly.