Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

It could be great if True Detective became a true anthology where every year some promising writer/director was given 8 episodes to do some kind of pulp mystery with a few random big-name actors.

I mean it kinda is/was only it didnt come out every year. Though with these ratings maybe it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Despera posted:

I mean it kinda is/was only it didnt come out every year. Though with these ratings maybe it will.

Yearly television schedule? From my HBO?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
As a poster way long ago pointed out, its very funny that the Truest Detective in this season is Pete. He's literally the only person doing police work here.

I think John Hawkes is a great actor but I think he was horribly misused in this season. He oozes pathos and hurt and it doesn't....jive with whatever they're trying to do with him. When they had him ludicrously standing waiting for his Russian bride... that was almost from a different show. It would fit more in with the absurdity of Season 2 maybe - there's no way to view that other than hilarious. He's grinning ear to ear about his mail in bride a scene earlier and she doesn't show while he holds a box of chocolates or whatever. What the hell?

I like the show though for the most part. Excited to be mildly disappointed by the finale!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Not make 25 or 6 to 4 at least a couple minutes longer

Fair.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

When are they gonna get to the ice caves?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What's the point of Danvers telling Pete to ask her if she killed a guy, only to tell him he's asking the right questions but then not answering him?

Is that some kind of test to see of he actually suspects it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The "lesson" she wanted to impart there is that he should know when to STOP asking questions, and that if he had then his dad wouldn't have found leverage to let Mine Lady and Christopher Eccleston's cop tell HER to stop asking questions as well. Of course that doesn't change the fact that she (appears to have) murdered somebody, though obviously she believes she has some justification for the murder she committed/that it was the right thing to do, while the Mine Lady is just out to protect her bottom line/interests and Eccleston's cop (Conley? I have to admit I still automatically jump to Doctor Who when I see him) is more than willing to be bought in pursuit of his political ambitions.

With Pete she seems caught between wanting to encourage and groom his skills as a quality investigator/police officer, but also try and make him aware of the lovely realities of the job as well: time away from family, call-outs at all hours, and duty and the law sometimes (often) being overruled by pragmatism or fear due to the consequences of pursuing it further. That may be giving her too much credit though, she may simply (mostly) think of him as a useful tool to dump work on or as somebody she can rely on to come when she calls without putting up any kind of resistance/loving around like his dad does.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 14, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The caves will contain the script for True Detective Season Four.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Credit where it's due, although True Detective's quality dropped so hard after season 1, I kept watching to season 4, whereas The Terror's quality dropped so hard, I couldn't watch past episode 2 of the second season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Credit where it's due, although True Detective's quality dropped so hard after season 1, I kept watching to season 4, whereas The Terror's quality dropped so hard, I couldn't watch past episode 2 of the second season.

The second season of True Detective at least had continuity with the first season, creatively. It was bad, but it's colourfully bad, like a slow motion freeway pileup or death by blue balls of the heart.

The second season of The Terror was AMC handing their show over to an untested showrunner who was notable (to me anyway) for being the consistently worst writer on True Blood. (Now co-showrunning Three Body Problem for Netflix!) -- so, essentially, very similar to what was happening with the show this season, except Alexander Woo never made Tigers Are Not Afraid.

Unfortunately, if you bowed out two episodes in then you sadly missed the batshittery around a mid-season cliffhanger that ends with the lead character trapped, broken and in immediate mortal peril -- followed up by a resolution that just skips several days ahead and never mentions what happened again.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
What’re y’all worried about space heaters for, you can survive exposed in those conditions for as long as the plot demands it.

Especially if you have heroin and a barely lit barrel burn going.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The caves will contain the script for True Detective Season Four.

single ply?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

True Detective Season Four: Night Country: But how will he survive without a space heater?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
inside the caves they find the true blood

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

fullroundaction posted:

What’re y’all worried about space heaters for, you can survive exposed in those conditions for as long as the plot demands it.

Especially if you have heroin and a barely lit barrel burn going.

Otis's whole deal was kind of odd. He's either a heroin addict living in the wilderness for years, or he's living in Ennis and has somehow never popped up on law enforcement's radar?

At times this show feels like it was originally set in a much larger city but then moved to a small town later in the process. The people that wrote it don't seem to have any experiences with small towns though.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Danvers doesn't have enough life experience if she plans on going into a dangerous ice cave pretty much nobody knows about or could find their planned entrance into, an ice cave where at least one person was murdered, taking with her only her volatile partner who she just recently encountered catatonic and bleeding from her ears, with a heroin addict she had seen cowering under pressure as their guide.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deadite posted:

Otis's whole deal was kind of odd. He's either a heroin addict living in the wilderness for years, or he's living in Ennis and has somehow never popped up on law enforcement's radar?

At times this show feels like it was originally set in a much larger city but then moved to a small town later in the process. The people that wrote it don't seem to have any experiences with small towns though.

I think he does have a space heater in his grounded freighter hideout at the end of that episode. It’s behind the christmas tree. Which I guess means it was only a matter of time before he burned the whole boat down anyway.

Can you imagine how much heroin has to cost in that town with all the extra shipping?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like to think Kraft upsales more aggressively than the local drug dealers do.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Well we know from one of the first episodes that a pack of Oreos costs $20 in Ennis, so I guess Otis is just independently wealthy

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The idea of "ice caves" that have been mapped 30 years ago and have remained static all this time is completely absurd, but it's the least of S4's problems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Well, there is still one episode left, but it is at this point plausible that the last legacy of SE04 will be that it means we'll see the ghost of Danvers' dad in the seventh season.

Hannibal Rex posted:

The idea of "ice caves" that have been mapped 30 years ago and have remained static all this time is completely absurd, but it's the least of S4's problems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm

I mean it could have been mapped and then covered for up one of any reasons.

e: nvm at least one person knows who the guide for it would be.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bright Bart posted:

Danvers doesn't have enough life experience if she plans on going into a dangerous ice cave pretty much nobody knows about or could find their planned entrance into, an ice cave where at least one person was murdered, taking with her only her volatile partner who she just recently encountered catatonic and bleeding from her ears, with a heroin addict she had seen cowering under pressure as their guide.

Danvers in general doesn't seem like the greatest cop. You'd think she'd be better at covering up a murder she did and not leave out enough details that Pete can figure it out in one thought exercise. She also risked her and Navarro's life going out to hostile territory at night to question a guy on his Stand Your Ground property.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

Danvers in general doesn't seem like the greatest cop. You'd think she'd be better at covering up a murder she did and not leave out enough details that Pete can figure it out in one thought exercise. She also risked her and Navarro's life going out to hostile territory at night to question a guy on his Stand Your Ground property.

Good news! She’s about to attempt a bigger more significant cover up!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One thing she seems to be okay at is handing over an amount of heroin that will slightly placate the dude while not knocking him out.

She must have done this before because it's not an easy line to walk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

One thing she seems to be okay at is handing over an amount of heroin that will slightly placate the dude while not knocking him out.

She had him point to the place on the map first, so she’s not leaving things to chance.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Bright Bart posted:

lol a bag that size is enough for days and could kill many people
Probably like a $200 bag

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheBizzness posted:

Good news! She’s about to attempt a bigger more significant cover up!

And somehow it will involve a space heater.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Pete and Repeat are on a boat. Pete fell off because Danvers pushed him and Repeat is next.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

It's almost as if her life is falling apart, there's multiple dead bodies in her living room, and her bosses are trying blackmail her for murder.

She's not making good decisions, she's making the only choice left to her, despite it being extremely dangerous and a longshot. The only real alternative is to sit around and wait to be arrested by someone she already knows is a crooked cop.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, you can’t fault her for wanting to go right then, as she’s definitely not going to be a cop or able to investigate after the storm.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
ice caves are hella fun especially in the summer

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
For the last 4 episodes or so I’ve felt pretty confident Pete is gonna end up dead (the one earnest, well-meaning person who doesn’t have blood on his hands, well, didn’t) but now I’m not so sure after the shooting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unless he ends up being the killer, it kinda feels like he's been written off the show.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
The last shot of the show is gonna be him buying a heater for the shed

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Despera posted:

ice caves are hella fun especially in the summer

I've got terrible news

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

HermitSupplier posted:

Danvers, Navarro, and Peters regroup by their trucks outside the cave after their final showdown with what was inside.

Navarro and Danvers both realize that they can't go back to their old lives. They part ways and ride off into the sunset: Navarro will find her people on the commune Rose grew up in, and Danvers will return to the small town she was exiled from.

Peters goes back for just a brief moment to convince his wife to come with him and make a new start somewhere else.

The last shot is of Leah, forgotten, sitting on the couch a week later, wondering out loud where the f--- everybody is.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 15, 2024

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
They all have some s'mores by the heater and the last line is Travis turning to Rose saying "You ask me, the heat's winning." Everyone laughs, Wendigo attacks, roll credits

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
those ice caves? yea, that's where they hid the Metal Gear AND where they did experiments on psychotic prisoners in order to control a sentient cloud of nanomachines. It's also where the Eternal Original Well from The Ring is.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

HermitSupplier posted:

And some awesome AI art posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Doltos posted:

We're gonna be hella pissed when True Detective: Sahara doesn't have an air conditioner in the shed

True Detective: Midnight Sun

Watch out for reverse vampires