Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I didn't realize you can use SteamVR with non-Steam games.

Ya, Steam VR can be hooked from completely outside the Steam environment. DCS does this for instance. As long as steam is running when you start it, it’ll launch into Steam VR without a hiccup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

Ya, Steam VR can be hooked from completely outside the Steam environment. DCS does this for instance. As long as steam is running when you start it, it’ll launch into Steam VR without a hiccup.

Mine still starts wmr and then goes into steamvr

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That Works posted:

Mine still starts wmr and then goes into steamvr

If you have a WMR headset like the Reverb G2, then it can't interface with SteamVR directly and requires WMR to work as an intermediary. But based on what MrYenko is saying, I'm guessing that if you have a SteamVR headset like the Index, then you are able to launch directly into SteamVR when playing DCS?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you have a WMR headset like the Reverb G2, then it can't interface with SteamVR directly and requires WMR to work as an intermediary. But based on what MrYenko is saying, I'm guessing that if you have a SteamVR headset like the Index, then you are able to launch directly into SteamVR when playing DCS?

Correct, sorry I was just talking about non-Steam games with SteamVR, not WMR hardware specifically.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

This also calls into question whether FS2024 will have VR support at all. If you will only be able to use VR in the Steam version, then would Asobo/Microsoft bother supporting it?

There's an FS2024 developer interview within the last month where they're asked about VR and the lead guy grabs his headset from just off screen and says yes. VR on PC doesn't have windows mixed reality stuff as a requirement, WMR was an api, but not the only one. Quest users like me have been using OpenXR as a runtime.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reverb G2 can use OpenXR too, so maybe that will work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

Reverb G2 can use OpenXR too, so maybe that will work?

Does that go through the WMR software? If so, it will not work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Does that go through the WMR software? If so, it will not work.

poo poo right, so the reverb G2 will literally just be a brick soon? That is just hard to accept, but there is nothing that can really be done about it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
drat, that really sucks. I noted last year that Microsoft was clearly making moves to end support for WMR after laying off the entire team, but I didn’t expect it to be so aggressive and definitive.

Really happy I talked my friend out of it last year, but hopefully someone figures out a workaround.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I said come in! posted:

poo poo right, so the reverb G2 will literally just be a brick soon? That is just hard to accept, but there is nothing that can really be done about it.

We have months at the least to see if any solution comes up and this can be extended further if you only stick to security updates etc, or just use Win10

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

That Works posted:

We have months at the least to see if any solution comes up and this can be extended further if you only stick to security updates etc, or just use Win10

Windows 10 reaches EOL in October 2025. So then your options are no security updates at all to run a WMR headset.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Has there been any suggestion that 'Microprose' is going to do anything with the Falcon brand yet, or have their entire resources been devoted to that B17-remaster

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are remastering two b-17 games as well as making a VR version of one of them, so they are probably focused on that.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

New Dune DLC.

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, just a quick spawn for a photo op.

I guess it would be neat if there was an Arrakis to cruise around in, look for spice miners, etc. Not too interested in any gaming elements though.

E: looking forward to the Ornithopters being amongst the regular AI traffic though.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 13, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you could try abu dhabi or jordan, since that's where ⊃⋃⋂⊂ was filmed

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there's an arrakis in the training content but i only had time to do the startup and takeoff so no clue how big it is

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I hear the Sahara desert is like pretty fuckin big.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i would simply fly across it at great speed in my airplane or ornithopter

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I liked the fake magical airplane from the top gun dlc, though I'm sure the acceleration profile would be easier to figure out if I played mil sims.

That whole thing where you have to climb and then dive and then climb just right otherwise you'll slam into the ground or peter out at mach 1.5 or overspeed horribly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I liked the fake magical airplane from the top gun dlc, though I'm sure the acceleration profile would be easier to figure out if I played mil sims.

That whole thing where you have to climb and then dive and then climb just right otherwise you'll slam into the ground or peter out at mach 1.5 or overspeed horribly.

That's based on one of the real-world acceleration profiles for the SR-71, with the idea being to use gravity to help reduce the amount of time the airplane is in a mach range that produces a relatively high amount of drag.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the ornithopter is fun, but you can't spawn it at helipads? bill gates is loving us once again

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Had my fun with the ornithopter but tbh its not my cup of sim-tea. Fooled around a bit then uninstalled it. Felt weird flying with a yoke anyways.

Personally, the biggest value I get out of stuff like the Halo and Dune DLC is the temper tantrums on the official forums, haha.

Also, I joined the SU 15 Beta and for me it's working great. Upthread I mentioned earlier about using a hack to get Frame Generation working on my 3080ti. For the beta I removed that hack and have been enjoying pretty smooth and solid performance. Haven't had a chance to test the other fixes and features yet but for now the performance gains alone are worth it. I just hope the gains don't disappear come release, like SU 14.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rot posted:

Personally, the biggest value I get out of stuff like the Halo and Dune DLC is the temper tantrums on the official forums, haha.

It's anthropologically fascinating.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

:sickos:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the dunc funk

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I do agree but ain't gonna complain out loud about it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Top gun was at least about dudes in airplanes but the aviation connection for Dunc is a bit tenuous. I don't want to have a McDonalds ad on the startup screen with some idk hamburglar helicopter thing where you visit participating McDonalds locations in your neighborhood thrown in twelve months down the line

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'd rather they replace those screens with just any old generic loading screen, i already installed the update weeks ago, stop telling me how many new landing challenges and bush trips are included

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't want to have a McDonalds ad on the startup screen with some idk hamburglar helicopter thing where you visit participating McDonalds locations in your neighborhood thrown in twelve months down the line

Yeah okay buddy, speak for yourself!!!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

As long as the A2A Comanche still works they can put whatever the gently caress they want on the start up screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the milk machine posted:

i'd rather they replace those screens with just any old generic loading screen, i already installed the update weeks ago, stop telling me how many new landing challenges and bush trips are included

I feel like i'm the odd one out in that I don't engage with this content at all. 100% of my Flight Sim usage is picking an airport to depart, and an airport to arrive at, as if I am a real life commercial pilot taking passengers. Usually on a large Boeing plane that won't have its escape door fly off mid-flight.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

I said come in! posted:

I feel like i'm the odd one out in that I don't engage with this content at all. 100% of my Flight Sim usage is picking an airport to depart, and an airport to arrive at, as if I am a real life commercial pilot taking passengers. Usually on a large Boeing plane that won't have its escape door fly off mid-flight.

that's mostly what i do as well, though almost entirely general aviation airplanes

some of the landing challenges are well done, and the discovery flights are nice quick ways to see some cool things, but that's about all i've sampled

Rot posted:

As long as the A2A Comanche still works they can put whatever the gently caress they want on the start up screen.

:hfive:
this and the fsw cessna 414

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I feel like i'm the odd one out in that I don't engage with this content at all.

Same and I doubt we're alone in that.

One of the first things I do after a big update is go to the content manager and remove all the lessons, missions, landing challenges, airplanes I have no interest in, etc.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I fully support every dumb rear end marketing tie-in if it brings in boatloads of money to continue development and eventually fix the insane pet peeves I’ve developed about a game I barely play because “joysticks on desk too hard.”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cojawfee posted:

They are remastering two b-17 games as well as making a VR version of one of them, so they are probably focused on that.

I wouldn't be at all surprised they released the remaster to early access when they did specifically to ride the potential wave from Masters of the Air.

Don't blame them either, my entire thought process throughout watching that show is "This reminds me of B17 Mighty 8th"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

I said come in! posted:

Simulators lets you live out your fantasies, it's true. :hmmyes:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to fly the hamburglar helicopter now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Here's a screenshot from the burger heist mission

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

MSFS has the worst download servers or download protocols known to man, so a sponsored startup screen is the least of my issues with them.

MSFS has been the best deterrent from ever using Azure services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really hoping MSFS 2024 doesn't use those servers again, and just lets you download the whole game using Steam.