Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hehehehe, the Yeah Woo machine got a firmware update.
https://youtu.be/g9N1COrxGO0?si=3EHEfmZGRjFB8Tmu

Eta: patch idea.
Found a good fx loop for my drum mixer to make the kick really loud and nasty.
The aux send gets multed. One goes to an input on warps, and the other through a comb filter, then to the other input on warps before heading back to the return.

Befaco kickall is a pretty versatile kick module, but it is noticeably quieter than other drum modules, even set to square waves. Makes a great bass voice though, with 1V/Oct tracking, and a built in decay envelope/vca. With cv control for wave shaping, envelope decay, oh and I just noticed because I mever use external envelopes, but it has cv for amplitude control as well

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it's not doing anything other synths don't, but for a very visual person (which I am) its interface is top notch.

yeah also the way it slams visual chains together makes it easy to think about porting semi similar ideas to hardware.

blessed

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Related to the synth chat— is bandcamp still the preferred site for hosting?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Just got another six fiddy in LZX

send help

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Related to the synth chat— is bandcamp still the preferred site for hosting?

depends on, for finished music and such? yeah. for wips and demos? not so much

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Lazy woodworking week!

Made this box slanted and portable but didn't do the best job at staying square because I tried to be lazy and not use the tablesaw, then rethought that. So, some asterixs about the construction on this one. I also made the front 1.5" lower than the back and angled the whole surface which is :discourse: easier to use by a lot.

And I made a stand for my KSP because I didn't want to spend $100 on etsy and then wait 5 weeks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That is so cool! Nice work.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Always cool to see DIY, I remember putting together a three-tiered stand once upon a time, it was a little wobbly but damned if I didn’t build it with my own hands and save €200 doing it!

Took a trip to re-pc in Seattle yesterday and while it's mostly computer stuff they did have a fair selection of music gear.

What struck me most was the sheer size of the volume knob on this quadrasynth, I don't think I've ever seen one this huge:

Also they have a beat thang for sale :haw:

snorch fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The trick to a properly closing box is building it fully enclosed and only then sawing it into a lid and bottom bit. Even if you do it wobbly by hand or with a jigsaw, lid and bottom will match.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

now that I am comfortable with the table saw, I think I could do a much nicer job on these, and then making them pop is mostly a matter of doing a good job with varnish or stain.

If I wanted to actually make money doing that, though, I'd need to be doing something other than buying prefabricated power blocks and rails, but I might do some more really weird cases, along the lines of Skatethesizer, or a rack inside a still functional VCR, for funsies and then list them for Bespoke prices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget the audio reactive led strip lights, that will make you rich!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I had a fun noodle the other day with a s&h melody sampling a looping envelope while also multed to the envelope's attack time. Just enough feedback for it to get stuck in periodic orbits, and then I would nudge the clock to throw it off kilter. Works better with some envelopes than others.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Anyone own any Synamodec gear?

I noticed prices have been dropping locally and places are selling off remaining stock, so I picked up an Astrogosus, Synadrone and Levitate. Just arrived and all three have wooden sides which surprised me as I hadn't seen these in any of the pictures/videos or even the synamodec website. Unfortunately both sides of the levitate and one of the synadrone sides are totally detached and the two bolts they've used do not fit snuggly in the holes in the case. The metal on the sides doesn't cover the entire side so the wooden sides are necessary. Have dropped them an email but surprised two out of three have issues and the sides on the other are not a great fit.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I did this with volcas and a cheap guitar. The video was taken with a cheap GoPro knockoff with a battery life of about three minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGeF140jPU

java
May 7, 2005

im_sorry posted:

I did this with volcas and a cheap guitar. The video was taken with a cheap GoPro knockoff with a battery life of about three minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGeF140jPU

Enjoyed this, thanks for posting!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That kind of stuff is so cool. I recently built a little timelapse camera out of a raspberry pi and keep meaning to "do stuff" with the video but it just never seems to happen.

Maybe it's because I grew up on MTV but visualizing music with low quality video footage make it all hit harder.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

xzzy posted:

That kind of stuff is so cool. I recently built a little timelapse camera out of a raspberry pi and keep meaning to "do stuff" with the video but it just never seems to happen.

Thanks! This one's not really synths, but I used the same camera in a different park. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXDpVcGDa6o
This one used a wildlife cam. It's dungeon synth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79UPOyvyPI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do we have a music video thread? Because I feel like that should be a thing.

Also why animals gotta lick the camera.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
0-Ctrl continues to be my favorite sequencer.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

So Math posted:

Tell me all about it, please.
I'm always curious for patch idears

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

B33rChiller posted:

Tell me all about it, please.
I'm always curious for patch idears

8 steps of three modulation lanes plus a clock which is also modulatable. Also sends gates, and the touch pads can also be set up for playing.

It’s pretty great.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
New synth weekend and goddamn this thing deserves every bit of legend and mystique it's been given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKr1SJkIAHY

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Slore Tactician posted:

8 steps of three modulation lanes plus a clock which is also modulatable. Also sends gates, and the touch pads can also be set up for playing.

It’s pretty great.
You forgot the function generator that factors in 2/3 of the cv lanes.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have one too, but enjoy learning about how others use theirs.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

So Math posted:

Same. I had a bit of a stress though when it recently started to behave strangely, the sequencer starting or stopping when touching the steps.

Turns out the touchpad just needed calibration

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I ran the sequencer's cv into a sample and hold, and multed the held voltage to both the time and direction controls. It gave me some interesting generative patterns. Very sensitive to tweaking.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone used both an 0-ctrl and a pressure points? I've always kind of wanted to get a pressure points but didn't know if it was worth it if you already gave an 0-ctrl

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

Anyone used both an 0-ctrl and a pressure points? I've always kind of wanted to get a pressure points but didn't know if it was worth it if you already gave an 0-ctrl

0-ctrl can do everything pressure points does and does it better. Unless you start stacking PP to get 6 rows of CVs I see no reason to go back to PP.

The only thing I don't like about 0-ctrl is it seems the pressure CV out is slewed. Otherwise I never looked back. The 0-ctrl touchpad is so much more reactive.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I find the 0ctrl touch pads to lose sensitivity with dry air too quickly, as compared to the microfreak. I would grab the microfreak for a touch interface before the 0-ctrl. It retails for less too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In a weird way, much as I had fun with the Microfreak and its touchplate, it's really come more to life for me since getting a Keylab 49 and having a wider range of notes instantly available.
Having said that, the touchplate on the MF is boss for making insane expressive Pigments patches, and I guess if/when I fall into modular land having the voices and sequencer already attached is definitely a bonus

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

I find the 0ctrl touch pads to lose sensitivity with dry air too quickly, as compared to the microfreak. I would grab the microfreak for a touch interface before the 0-ctrl. It retails for less too.

There's a hole in the middle of the keyboard to calibrate the 0-ctrl sensitivity with a small flat screwdriver. You can make it as sensitive as you want. Even so sensitive it starts glitching. I had the problem you described with the pressure points, but never with the 0-ctrl

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NonzeroCircle posted:

In a weird way, much as I had fun with the Microfreak and its touchplate, it's really come more to life for me since getting a Keylab 49 and having a wider range of notes instantly available.
Having said that, the touchplate on the MF is boss for making insane expressive Pigments patches, and I guess if/when I fall into modular land having the voices and sequencer already attached is definitely a bonus

Microfreak is best thought of as a module with a touchplate IMO rather than a touchplate-first instrument

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

There's a hole in the middle of the keyboard to calibrate the 0-ctrl sensitivity with a small flat screwdriver. You can make it as sensitive as you want. Even so sensitive it starts glitching. I had the problem you described with the pressure points, but never with the 0-ctrl

Oh neat. I thought that was a vent!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Florian put the Volca FM2 above the DX7 in his tier list :bisonyes:
Hahahaha

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Decided to do one of them thar youtube videos. If you have a spare 25 and don't mind things that are shoddily filmed by all means give it a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FS0dYeb1c

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Florian put the Volca FM2 above the DX7 in his tier list :bisonyes:
Hahahaha

this one was weird to me. i use a dx7 as my daily driver keyboard (the keybed is as good as everyone says it is)

i wouldn't want to use the synthesizer part of the dx7 or an fm2. it's an entirely digital device from the 80s. it's 100% emulatable with software. just get dexed or ops7. there are literally hundreds of parameters on this sound engine, it is so much nicer with a software interface

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

People who like 80s DACs like the ones on the DX7 a lot

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
do people actually like the dx7 dac? it's known to be pretty bad. it produces this ever-present white noise hiss that is pretty grating if you don't have a noise gate
even if so, i doubt the fm2 uses the same dac

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MSPain posted:

this one was weird to me. i use a dx7 as my daily driver keyboard (the keybed is as good as everyone says it is)

i wouldn't want to use the synthesizer part of the dx7 or an fm2. it's an entirely digital device from the 80s. it's 100% emulatable with software. just get dexed or ops7. there are literally hundreds of parameters on this sound engine, it is so much nicer with a software interface
I figured he was straight up poo poo stirring.
The comments must flow

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MSPain posted:

do people actually like the dx7 dac? it's known to be pretty bad. it produces this ever-present white noise hiss that is pretty grating if you don't have a noise gate
even if so, i doubt the fm2 uses the same dac

yeah, yes it does - thats what they like about it, and yeah, thats whats funny (to me) about ranking them like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Synths and Synthesis MkII: People who like 80s DACs