Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s the same reason that stage actors don’t always transition to the screen well. The mannerisms that work for a live audience in stadium seating, with maybe a camera yards away, are exaggerated and over the top and unrealistic, but are so in a way that the message in the mannerisms is clear even to the people in the cheap seats. The ability to be good at that sort of acting is really unconnected to the smaller, much more subtle mannerism control you need to be a good actor for a close in face shot or a one-on-one scene.

That makes sense. There can be overlap in those skills but not surprised a lot of wrestlers who are already mostly getting by on gimmicks and presentation already struggle when outside of the specific environment they're used to. Even playing the big muscleman is harder than it looks, there's been a lot of documentation of how Arnold Schwarzenegger goes to lengths to do what people assume is an easy stock character; seeing a voice coach to maintain his signature accent, learning from dancers and ballerinas how to move and pose his body. On the other hand it seems like wrestlers are lucky if they aren't actively trained wrong, on purpose, on some unfathomable carny grudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's interesting to read all the hate for QT. I certainly don't think he's a top talent but he's really good in his midcarder role. He's good at playing a smug rear end in a top hat who gets clowned on all the time, he's really good at making his opponents look strong, and he can move pretty well for a guy his size and he's not super limited. And as someone else said he's apparently a really good trainer

Now he's jacked as hell but it won't matter unless he decides to take indie dates on the side from his regular job

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm always baffled at how many wrestlers are bad actors because, like, wrestling is at least 50% acting. Especially in America! Other than Benoit who later became more famous for his *other work*, pretty much every single super popular American wrestler was either bad or meh in the ring, and really became famous due to the character they played rather than their athletic ability.

Also the Rock's fundamental flaw as an actor is that what he's trying to be no longer exists. The movie star is a thing of yesteryear, it no longer exists in any recognizable form.

Rock's acting problem is that it feels like he's against playing a character with flaws or weaknesses. Other wrestlers-turned-actors and even famous action stars with dwindling star power have this problem as well.

Cena works because he's willing to play characters like Peacemaker where he's willing to have range and look the fool once in a while. Batista, Roddy (at least for his stint on Always Sunny), and Andre have this going for them, too. I'll even go to bat for Kevin Nash to an extent.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Roddy Piper was also in a movie with Sonny Chiba called "Immortal Combat" and it's a huge piece of poo poo but it's also a fun watch because it's a huge piece of poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

a dude named "QT"... heel gimmick

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I think he prefers toes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Plan Z posted:

I'll even go to bat for Kevin Nash to an extent.

I'm immediately reminded of Nash noping the gently caress out of the first John Wick. And how he jobs to himself in the second Ninja Turtles movie.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I enjoyed The Rock in the 2005 Doom movie. The movie itself was pretty bad but I mean it's a movie based on Doom so it was never going to be good. But the camera doing the classic "pan across Doom Guy and zoom into first person" Doom trope was insanely fun because the movie shifts to a literal first person shooter and I hadn't seen that in a movie before lol.

Basically I think wrestlers should just stick to video game movies going forward

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Everyone forgets 'Battling' Pat Roach in the Indy trilogy. Also as Bomber in Auf Weidersehen, Pet.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kevin nash wasnt about to let john wick go over him, brother

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

HonorableTB posted:

I enjoyed The Rock in the 2005 Doom movie. The movie itself was pretty bad but I mean it's a movie based on Doom so it was never going to be good. But the camera doing the classic "pan across Doom Guy and zoom into first person" Doom trope was insanely fun because the movie shifts to a literal first person shooter and I hadn't seen that in a movie before lol.

Basically I think wrestlers should just stick to video game movies going forward

I was in 9th grade and I was skipping school with a friend and we decided to get on a popular filesharing application at the time to download the Doom movie but ended up downloading a mislabeled copy of How High which was better than the Doom movie

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wrestlers make pretty good voice actors

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol remembered the flintstones, jetsons and scooby wwe movies and how they can never show them again because vince is in them

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol remembered the flintstones, jetsons and scooby wwe movies and how they can never show them again because vince is in them

https://twitter.com/CursedAni/status/1457337769143975941?t=EfLin5eApXCQyA54qqc4lw&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I just remembered the terrible movie Kane was in and they tried to tie it into a storyline on Raw I think. See No Evil? It was very bad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

I just remembered the terrible movie Kane was in and they tried to tie it into a storyline on Raw I think. See No Evil? It was very bad.

wait until you learn that vince wanted kanes character to have a massive dick that was three feet long

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wait until you learn that vince wanted kanes character to have a massive dick that was three feet long

i wish i didnt know this

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I thought it wasn't bad for what it was. A bit mean-spirited and overall rather shoddy, but whatever. As cheap slashers go, it's in the top third.

The sequel is fantastically surreal. Just doesn't make sense start to finish but doesn't care, have another round of a big dude killing some people.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
saw a top 50 wcw wrestlers on wwe.com and they placed eric bischoof over half the wrestlers lol

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
he deserves it after how well he sold for joker sting's bird

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but that was a TNA bit.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Plan Z posted:

Rock's acting problem is that it feels like he's against playing a character with flaws or weaknesses. Other wrestlers-turned-actors and even famous action stars with dwindling star power have this problem as well.

Cena works because he's willing to play characters like Peacemaker where he's willing to have range and look the fool once in a while. Batista, Roddy (at least for his stint on Always Sunny), and Andre have this going for them, too. I'll even go to bat for Kevin Nash to an extent.

That's not the Rocks problem. Early in his career, his character in that John Travolta movie (get shorty, or something adjacent to it), was a gay bodyguard. Which (while obviously not a flaw) is fairly against type, or was at the time. He also got beat up by Travoltas character.

In the Mark Whalberg movie 'Pain & Gain', Rock played a blithering idiot.

In 'The Other Guys', Rock and his partner Sam Jackson are killed early by their own stupidity.

Also even in matches, Rock never had that complex of 'I must go over' like the other big egos. In fact Rock got beat up and took more losses than almost any other babyface or #1 in the company that I can remember. He just stayed popular as gently caress because he was funny and cool. Not because he never lost.

I don't know what Rocks major issue is but it's not being afraid to look silly or make fun of himself. That's more a Vin Deisel or Steven Seagal thing.

One problem I have is that I've never seen Rock have convincing chemistry with a romantic partner in anything, ever. I have theories on this but since I kind of always liked Rock, I just chalk it up to a lack of dramatic range.

Terry Funk got thrown through a glass door by Stallone in the arm wrestling movie 'Over the Top'. I think it was him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every film you mentioned is more than ten years old. He now has it written into contracts that he can't look weak.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I heard that about Vin Diesel when they had the spat, if he's doing it now too then that's a shame

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Big Dave owns because he could have just played Drax until he retired, making millions, but he chose to walk away and play more serious roles.

EDIT:

All the main actors in the Fast movies have riders like that I think. I've heard before they also go down to the number of punches people get so they don't get more over. The Rock also broke the sacred agreement of the Fast movies by doing Hobbs and Shaw with Jason Statham. They apparently had an agreement to not do spinoffs because that way they all kept getting work and none of them was getting more money out of the deal.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 16, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol that the Fast and Furious cast came to a gentlemen's agreement, much like the completely useless one that spawned their franchise

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Supreme Allah posted:

That's not the Rocks problem. Early in his career, his character in that John Travolta movie (get shorty, or something adjacent to it), was a gay bodyguard. Which (while obviously not a flaw) is fairly against type, or was at the time. He also got beat up by Travoltas character.

In the Mark Whalberg movie 'Pain & Gain', Rock played a blithering idiot.

In 'The Other Guys', Rock and his partner Sam Jackson are killed early by their own stupidity.

Also even in matches, Rock never had that complex of 'I must go over' like the other big egos. In fact Rock got beat up and took more losses than almost any other babyface or #1 in the company that I can remember. He just stayed popular as gently caress because he was funny and cool. Not because he never lost.

I don't know what Rocks major issue is but it's not being afraid to look silly or make fun of himself. That's more a Vin Deisel or Steven Seagal thing.

One problem I have is that I've never seen Rock have convincing chemistry with a romantic partner in anything, ever. I have theories on this but since I kind of always liked Rock, I just chalk it up to a lack of dramatic range.

Terry Funk got thrown through a glass door by Stallone in the arm wrestling movie 'Over the Top'. I think it was him.

hes changed and his ego is alot bigger now. he literally tried to start a coup at warner bros and being unsucessful at this has basically relegated him to the fast and furious franchise where 1/2 the cast hates him.

i cant confirm this but im like 100% certain jumanji two got made because everyone was making GBS threads on rock and kevin heart and cooing over jack black. watch them back to back and you will see jack blacks character toned way the gently caress down and put in the back and rock and kevin do a character instead of just playing themselves which was the main complaint everyone had about them in the first one.

snergle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 16, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

HonorableTB posted:

That movie was pure poo poo but to this very day one of my cousins and I send each other "MAY NINETEEEEEENTH!" every May 19th. It was one of the most brilliant advertising/marketing gimmicks ever

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

hes changed and his ego is alot bigger now. he literally tried to start a coup at warner bros and being unsucessful at this has basically relegated him to the fast and furious franchise where 1/2 the cast hates him.

i cant confirm this but im like 100% certain jumanji two got made because everyone was making GBS threads on rock and kevin heart and cooing over jack black. watch them back to back and you will see jack blacks character toned way the gently caress down and put in the back and rock and kevin do a character instead of just playing themselves which was the main complaint everyone had about them in the first one.

Jumanji 2 got made because their Jumanji 1 made a billion dollars and not making a sequel would have been setting money on fire

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

snergle posted:

Huh? In the first movie, The Rock did a pretty good job acting like a timid teenage nerd coming into his own, it wasn't at all what he usually does.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Grendels Dad posted:

Huh? In the first movie, The Rock did a pretty good job acting like a timid teenage nerd coming into his own, it wasn't at all what he usually does.

rewatch it its just the rock being the rock for 99% of it same with kevin heart just being kevin heart for 99% of it. jack black actually acted like the teenage girl playing his character. then in the 2nd one the rock and kevin get way more screen time and act like the characters controlling their character. in the 2nd one they both showed they can do it as well as jack black and just phoned it in in the first one. this is when the rock was making 3 movies a year and phoning in everything. remember that earthquake movie or the rampage movie lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

snergle posted:

rewatch it its just the rock being the rock for 99% of it same with kevin heart just being kevin heart for 99% of it. jack black actually acted like the teenage girl playing his character. then in the 2nd one the rock and kevin get way more screen time and act like the characters controlling their character. in the 2nd one they both showed they can do it as well as jack black and just phoned it in in the first one. this is when the rock was making 3 movies a year and phoning in everything. remember that earthquake movie or the rampage movie lol

I want you to know that for a brief moment I thought the Rock had made a movie about Earthquake, the wrestler.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

snergle posted:

I remember the movie well enough, The Rock was either flabbergasted or whining. I guess this

counts as The Rock acting as himself these days but otherwise he was goofy in a way he really really isn't in his other movies.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My favorite movie with The Rock was probably Get Smart.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Big Dave owns because he could have just played Drax until he retired, making millions, but he chose to walk away and play more serious roles.

EDIT:

All the main actors in the Fast movies have riders like that I think. I've heard before they also go down to the number of punches people get so they don't get more over. The Rock also broke the sacred agreement of the Fast movies by doing Hobbs and Shaw with Jason Statham. They apparently had an agreement to not do spinoffs because that way they all kept getting work and none of them was getting more money out of the deal.

That feels like a lopsided agreement. Easy for the supporting actors to say “yeah we won’t do a spinoff if they ask us” knowing that call isn’t coming soon.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My favorite movie with The Rock was probably Get Smart.

Honestly, same. I feel like he honestly has pretty great comedic timing, and he's obviously charismatic as hell. I feel like if he was willing to do comedy more and actually be the butt of jokes, he'd be really drat popular and big, even more than he is. Like I honestly think he has, or at least had, it in him to be a great comedic actor. But alas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Honestly, same. I feel like he honestly has pretty great comedic timing, and he's obviously charismatic as hell. I feel like if he was willing to do comedy more and actually be the butt of jokes, he'd be really drat popular and big, even more than he is. Like I honestly think he has, or at least had, it in him to be a great comedic actor. But alas.

Yeah, ironically if he'd Arnie it up more he'd probably be able to pull it off. There's nothing funnier than a huge serious dude.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

yeah you need to be able to be the butt of the joke and too many wrestlers don't want that

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My favourite movie with The Rock is The Mummy Returns but that's in spite of his presence not because of his presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DeadButDelicious posted:

My favourite movie with The Rock is The Mummy Returns but that's in spite of his presence not because of his presence.

lmao my brother and I went to that on the biggest screen with my dad and grandma on a "trip (funeral)" to Dayton, Ohio; and the two of us had a good lol at the CGI Scorpion King, much to the chagrin of the rest of the theater. Still do to this day.