Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Scipiotik posted:

Merchant seems to be doing a whole lot of fishing that should end up with her catching something, but I think she's just trying to perry mason something by accident. I don't think she's actually leading him into a trap, hoping more to stumble onto one that she doesn't know.

That in itself is catastrophic lawyering. You should never ask a witness a question in front of a judge that you don't already know the answer to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Clarste posted:

That in itself is catastrophic lawyering. You should never ask a witness a question in front of a judge that you don't already know the answer to.

I think she does know the answer. The intent is probably to get Wade to say something that can be labeled as "inconsistent" with his responses to their arguments or any subpoena served on his and then try to make ammunition out of that.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Clarste posted:

Your honor I call to the stand the ghost who never lies and only I can see or hear him. Ok ghost that never lies, who ... DON'T YOU POINT YOUR FINGER ATME

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Clarste posted:

That's true at trial but this whole enterprise is fishing because she doesn't have anything better. Finding the one fired staffer willing to testify already was a bit of a coup.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think she does know the answer. The intent is probably to get Wade to say something that can be labeled as "inconsistent" with his responses to their arguments or any subpoena served on his and then try to make ammunition out of that.

Nah, she doesn't because she keeps asking questions that aren't very specific (and are often wrong, like not knowing where the DA's condo was located). If she knew what the answer should be she'd have follow up questions that would catch him in a trap. Every time she's had the chance to ask another question to catch him in an inconsistency she's just moved on.

Further to the point she is wasting the judge's time. There is nothing a judge hates more than having their time wasted.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, I was listening to the hearing as well. Merchant is not doing a great job. She should be able to make more of out the financial entanglements then she has been, but her questioning is extremely sloppy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Scipiotik posted:

Merchant seems to be doing a whole lot of fishing that should end up with her catching something, but I think she's just trying to perry mason something by accident. I don't think she's actually leading him into a trap, hoping more to stumble onto one that she doesn't know.

And more evidence of that she doesn't even know what of her evidence is certified, lordy, not like it's your job or anything.

Also her pretending to not understand how partnerships work and how he can get paid for work that one of his other partners does but not doing it himself or even knowing exactly what it was.

I'd also her constantly wandering off during his answers reflects poorly on her. She seems very ill-prepared honestly. She doesn't even have her evidence marked haha.

Aw, they turned off the mic, she's trying to say she has some evidence on her phone and opposing counsel is like, well you need to send it to us, text it I guess you have my number. Typical trump attorney quality here.

I sorta suspect she didnt expect it to get this far. I think she hoped there was way way more in the files and explicityly and that some judge would look at and say "yeah willis off case, trump free" or whatever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gregday posted:

Not for someone with no criminal history. It'll be a fine, at most.

Which reminds me of the very funny possibility that criminal history is going to be a sentencing factor in the other cases, and as they proceed, he's going to rack of a criminal history very fast, so by the time we get trial #4, the penalty could be quite severe.

Funniest possible result: the various Civil judgements crush Trump's finances so thoroughly that he is unable to pay the fine in the criminal case

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Funniest possible result: the various Civil judgements crush Trump's finances so thoroughly that he is unable to pay the fine in the criminal case

Subject: DO YOUR PART NOW TO BE A REAL LIFE CONTRIBUTOR TO KEEPING AMERICA'S FAVORITE PRESIDENT OUT OF JAIL. DONATE $5 NOW!!!!

or some variant of whatever they have in the "Drafts" folder when they need to fleece the rubes

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Subject: DO YOUR PART NOW TO BE A REAL LIFE CONTRIBUTOR TO KEEPING AMERICA'S FAVORITE PRESIDENT OUT OF JAIL. DONATE $5 NOW!!!!

Wait, when did FDR go to jail?!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

IANAL, but this hearing is frustrating.

The Georgia case against Trump is one of the most important cases of our lifetime.

Why jeopardize it with an office romance?

Ither fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 15, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
people like to gently caress

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Source?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend Buck.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Any tips on a good place to watch/refresh/:f5: tomorrow for the expected Engoron decision to drop?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImRyPymRAM

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Your momma.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Ither posted:

IANAL, but this hearing is frustrating.

The Georgia case against Trump is one of the most important cases of our lifetime.

Why jeopardize it with a office romance?

Lawyers are notoriously horny, the long hours working in close confines sorta leads to it.

I just started watching after the break and this new attorney is much better at lawyering than the previous woman, but it seems like the problem is he's rehashing a lot of ground she already covered which is annoying to the judge.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the evidence against trump is him saying "i would like you to commit crimes on my behalf"= complete exoneration
the evidence against the prosecution is that someone sometime heard something from a friend of a co-worker=guilty beyond measure

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Tayter Swift posted:

checks out

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1758192910208524482

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Well that ain't great

Edit: actually wade still has a dodge. He has said his marriage was "over" in 2015, and he filed for divorce in 2021. So might depend on exact timing of filings.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2024

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

It's so cool that Fox News is just airing the testimony straight up, not even bothering to cut in for commentary. BREAKING NEWS!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1758192910208524482

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1758201080154861825

This does not bode well for Willis.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

This does not bode well for Willis.

It literally didn't matter. As he said, the big issue was going to be the 'close friend', but the close friend literally had zero evidence and admitted that it was just "Yeah I heard a rumor about something, maybe." which is not convincing.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 15, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well that ain't great

Edit: actually wade still has a dodge. He has said his marriage was "over" in 2015, and he filed for divorce in 2021. So might depend on exact timing of filings.

The dodge doesn't really work because the specific wording is 'between the date of your marriage and present', to which he was absolutely lying.

It hurts his credibility, but ultimately I don't think it is damning.

The accusation here is that she gave him the job because they were loving and she could profit as a result. The fact that he lied in a contentious divorce is bad, but the could can absolutely consider the reasons why, such as that he thought the implicit question of the document was 'did you cheat', which he didn't thin he did since the marriage was over in everything but law.

The only evidence so far showing that they were together before his appointment is the one lady who got poo poo canned by Willis for poor performance who nebulously says she was told. They only evidence for financial gain is credit statements he says he was paid back for.

This judge doesn't seem dumb as hell, so I'd like to assume he tisk tsiks and let's the case go on. The alternative is that he throws out Willis out of concerns for Decorum in which case, clown world.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Caros posted:

The dodge doesn't really work because the specific wording is 'between the date of your marriage and present', to which he was absolutely lying.

It hurts his credibility, but ultimately I don't think it is damning.

The accusation here is that she gave him the job because they were loving and she could profit as a result. The fact that he lied in a contentious divorce is bad, but the could can absolutely consider the reasons why, such as that he thought the implicit question of the document was 'did you cheat', which he didn't thin he did since the marriage was over in everything but law.

The only evidence so far showing that they were together before his appointment is the one lady who got poo poo canned by Willis for poor performance who nebulously says she was told. They only evidence for financial gain is credit statements he says he was paid back for.

This judge doesn't seem dumb as hell, so I'd like to assume he tisk tsiks and let's the case go on. The alternative is that he throws out Willis out of concerns for Decorum in which case, clown world.

He explained that he answered as if "since your marriage ended" even if they hadn't officially separated before then, and the judge went "Yeah, makes sense" and moved on.

Also I think the wording was "between your marriage ending and your separation to present." so there's a gap in between those, since he didn't get officially separated until much later for various reasons.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Can anyone explain the conflict of interest?

I understand her hiring a lover to do a big case isn’t kosher because she’d be sending money to someone that would benefit her too, but I don’t see how that would affect the case against Trump.

Prosecutors aren’t meant to be impartial, so as long as the evidence is there it shouldn’t matter?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

rkd_ posted:

I understand her hiring a lover to do a big case isn’t kosher because she’d be sending money to someone that would benefit her too, but I don’t see how that would affect the case against Trump.

Prosecutors aren’t meant to be impartial, so as long as the evidence is there it shouldn’t matter?

Do public prosecutors get money per case or are they salaried? If he wasn't working the Trump case, he'd be working a different case so the only thing he'd be earning is "clout".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My understanding is that he was in private practice and took a substantial pay cut to sign with DA Willis.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

volts5000 posted:

Do public prosecutors get money per case or are they salaried? If he wasn't working the Trump case, he'd be working a different case so the only thing he'd be earning is "clout".

I thought the (purported) issue is that Wade is still in private practice, but his firm has been hired as a DA.

In fact, the amount he has billed the DA's office has been brought up during this hearing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

rkd_ posted:

There wasn't really anything to begin. The Trump lawyer argument is that the entire case was a scam to funnel money to Wade and wouldn't have been prosecuted in the first place if it wasn't for the relationship.

The non-Trump guy's argument was that Willis sabotaged the case and artificially lengthened it to pay Wade more, which is pretty laughable due to my reply to volts5000.

volts5000 posted:

He's private, so former. According to his receipts he actually lost potential money because he did a lot more work than he could legally bill for.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tayter Swift posted:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

rkd_ posted:

I asked the same recently, and the answer is essentially that Willis and Wade cooked up the entire case from whole cloth in order to create something she could hire him on to.

No, this makes no sense, why would they need to do that? Why do it with one of the biggest cases in the history of the Republic instead of some dumb poo poo nobody outside of Atlanta will ever even hear of? Why would them loving be evidence of this anyway? It doesn't need to make sense to appeal to the chuds.

Caros
May 14, 2008

rkd_ posted:

The chud version is

Fani Willis appointed her boy toy to a cushy state job. He was paid a bunch of money and used that money from the state to take her on lavish trips. She has a financial interest in the case which should disqualify her under ethics rules.

The reality is

Fani Willis hired either a close personal/professional friend (or the guy she was loving) to take a pay cut to work on a high profile case that would be great for his career. He took the case and may or may not have taken her on vacations using some of the money he was paid.

It is an incredible reach and the best case version of this is that it is unseemly but probably shouldnt derail the case of a guy who tried to do a loving coup.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gonna read this as her making GBS threads on gatlinburg and she’s absolutely right.

https://x.com/natalie_allison/status/1758226072636731749?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Whatever, we'll still take your money

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

It is an incredible reach and the best case version of this is that it is unseemly but probably shouldnt derail the case of a guy who tried to do a loving coup.

Yup. The bright side is this all probably only works if either the judge is a CHUD or the prosecutors are gigantic dumbasses. So at least we get.to find that out now if so before we get all invested in a trial.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Caros posted:

The chud version is

Fani Willis appointed her boy toy to a cushy state job. He was paid a bunch of money and used that money from the state to take her on lavish trips. She has a financial interest in the case which should disqualify her under ethics rules.

The reality is

Fani Willis hired either a close personal/professional friend (or the guy she was loving) to take a pay cut to work on a high profile case that would be great for his career. He took the case and may or may not have taken her on vacations using some of the money he was paid.

Any time they don't have to make poo poo completely up to attack Trump's enemies is a good day for them quite frankly

If this lunatic actually wins the election I think fifty years from now America is going to do what Germany did and collectively hate Trump more than any other country to compensate for having let him loose in the first place

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 15, 2024

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
This defense attorney has been described as good in thread by other attorneys for chasing the hard angles for her client but watching this questioning right now she seems shakey, and like she’s engaged in a fishing expedition needing constant redirection from the judge and sounding unsure about what she’s even asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yiggy posted:

This defense attorney has been described as good in thread by other attorneys for chasing the hard angles for her client but watching this questioning right now she seems shakey, and like she’s engaged in a fishing expedition needing constant redirection from the judge and sounding unsure about what she’s even asking.

The main Atlanta twitter lawyer dude mentioned her strength was in document review and finding procedural errors, not necessarily in examination/questioning etc.