Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Homeless Friend posted:

the part after it is also starship troopers af lol.

"One day, their children will ask what they did during the war, when the men were fighting. When they reply, 'I was hiding,' then they'll plummet in the children's eyes," Pavlo says firmly.

And yet the price Ukraine is paying to defend itself is already immense.

When I ask Pavlo whether he's lost friends in the fighting, he admits that there's "almost no one left" from his entire company.

"The only ones left are [injured] like me. The others are dead."

Nobody who has left is ashamed about it, nor should they be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lmao how is holocost formed?

https://twitter.com/frankuskramer/status/1758211840411103577

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

Definitely. But eventually the situation on the front will become so dire that they'll need to start drawing from sources of manpower that have to this point not been drawn from. Such as 18-25 year olds in West Ukraine who haven't had to deal with recruitment.

Yeah, there really isn't anywhere for them to go at this point. They may get some more equipment here and there, but it will be a fraction of their needs and they pretty much went though almost everything else. The one thing is they have is bodies.

I would say the problem is resistance against conscription is getting more intense and I think throwing more young people into the mix isn't going to help it. Also, statistically speaking there just isn't that many men 18-25 that aren't accounted for at this point. It is why female conscription probably also needs to be in the mix.

Basically, it is going to get really messy as the government desperately tries to throw what it can at the empty with the front line clearly is weakening and the mood against the war darkening. There is no room for negotiation, and the only solution is complete chaos.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Feb 15, 2024

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

this feels mean but I can't not see it

It helps to have something to cut the mixture

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
grover furr ftw

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Every once in a while I'm reminded that Azov exists- dumb bohunks who think they're the master race would be funny if they didn't have guns or exert disproportionate political influence

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, there really isn't anywhere for them to go at this point. They may get some more equipment here and there, but it will be a fraction of their needs and they pretty much went though almost everything else. The one thing is they have is bodies.

I would say the problem is resistance gets conscription is getting more intense and I think throwing more young people into the mix isn't going to help it. Also, statistically speaking there just isn't that many men 18-25 that aren't accounted for at this point. It is why female conscription probably also needs to be in the mix.

Basically it is going to get really messy as the government desperately tries to throw what it can at the empty with the front line clearly is weakening the mood against the war darkens. There is no room for negotiation and the only solution is complete chaos.

All of this, and not even to build up a reserve force for an offensive. They need to do all of this just to maintain the front lines where they are.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

tristeham posted:

grover furr ftw

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
how do I get on the furr listserv tho

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tristeham posted:

grover furr ftw

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

Definitely. But eventually the situation on the front will become so dire that they'll need to start drawing from sources of manpower that have to this point not been drawn from. Such as 18-25 year olds in West Ukraine who haven't had to deal with recruitment.

I can't imagine sending a bunch of teenagers with a few weeks at most of training to the front is going to lead to anything good for Ukraine, and let's hope we don't have to find out.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Grover furr the win

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The Norm Finkelstein TrueAnon was good in elucidating what the Jewish adoration of Stalin was all about; a line that stuck with me from the movie Radio Days was a guy complaining about having Woody Allen (played by young Seth Green) and his family as their Jewish neighbors- "they don't worship God, only Stalin" which never made sense to me until then

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

supersnowman posted:

There is one resources the west can't really backfill Ukraine with and that is manpower.

This isn't true, the west is a rich source of Ukrainian refugees.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

All of this, and not even to build up a reserve force for an offensive. They need to do all of this just to maintain the front lines where they are.

Also, it seems like for the most part the line has actually been held generally by survivors/militia/volunteers/conscripts with at least some experience i.e people with at least some will to be there or at least prior knowledge. They are going to have to increasingly just throw in young adults who have no idea what is going on. The war isn't over, but the trend that is forming is pretty clear.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

my bony fealty posted:

drat I really wanna take The Communist Roots of Piracy with Professor Furr

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

well who is it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

In Azov, they realized their fate that they were simply thrown into the Avdeyesky meat grinder, in which the enemy simply grinds them, and the losses among the personnel are huge.
The chief of Staff of the Azov brigade, Major Bogdan Krotevich, publicly commented on the situation in Avdiivka, where the 3rd assault brigade was recently transferred.

He said that in this sector of the front it is necessary to "cut off the advancing enemy forces from the flank" and "not fight head-on with the Russians."

"You can't fight head-on with the Russian army. Anyway, with any army, it's stupid to exchange direct blows like drunken idiots. Why do we always run into the same mistake?! It's not technological progress that will save us, even if you had a million Haimars - it's important how you use them!" - writes Krotevich.

It should be understood that such a statement is a step of desperation, since it is clear what the meat grinder will lead to.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/21678, via tgsa)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

tazjin posted:

also lol that Tucker showed Kievskaya specifically

for the "wow" effect I usually take visitors to Komsomolskaya (on the ring)

The closest thing in America to this would have been old Penn Station but we demonstrated how much we value ornate and beautiful architectural poo poo like that by demolishing it and building Madison Square Garden overtop of it

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lol people were wondering why the Azov Nazis would agree to let themselves get thrown into Avdiivka and have the noose slipped around their neck. Guess it took them a couple days of fighting to realize what path they were getting led down.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol who the gently caress is doing the flanking? Where is this grand army coming from?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Phigs posted:

Only Lenin is without sin.

Subject of thread stands in stark contrast to this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol who the gently caress is doing the flanking? Where is this grand army coming from?

Steiner I think.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dokapon Findom posted:

The closest thing in America to this would have been old Penn Station but we demonstrated how much we value ornate and beautiful architectural poo poo like that by demolishing it and building Madison Square Garden overtop of it

There is still Grand Central and some old Union Stations across the country. I would say what makes the Moscow metro great isn't just the old Stalinist stations but they progressively kept adding on to it. Basically, you can tell pretty clearly when a station was built based on the architectural style (from Stalinist to post-war to 90s to present-day etc). Usually, the late 1950s to the early 1970s was considered the "low point" in terms of design but those stations have been progressively rehabilitated.

I am kind of surprised transit-nerds aren't into Moscow. It has got features of a lot of modern European systems such as historical stations and a large modernized train network while its metro system is comparable to Seoul or Tokyo (depends on how you slice it). They are also going after a electric bus fleet as well.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

supersnowman posted:

Starting point for the Russian negotiator by now is likely Lugansk, Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson and Crimea. Because Ukraine is slowly but surely getting it's poo poo pushed in, you can probably add Kharkov and/or Mykolaiv + Odessa. The current regime can't accept that so the grinding will continue.

There is one resources the west can't really backfill Ukraine with and that is manpower.

how can they ask for odessa when they're not in control over there
possession is 9/10th of the law and they're not in possession
edit: or do you mean they will be eventually, when the ukrainians get pushed back more and more

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

wow, denazification in action

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Doktor Avalanche posted:

edit: or do you mean they will be eventually, when the ukrainians get pushed back more and more

That means the Russians don't care about stopping the war right now and ask for a really high price in the negotiation.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Cathedrals of Steam: How London’s Great Stations Were Built – And How They Transformed the City

London hosts twelve major railway stations, more than any other city in the world. They range from the grand and palatial, such as King’s Cross and Paddington, to the modest and lesser known, such as Fenchurch Street and Cannon Street. These monuments to the age of the train are the hub of London’s transport system and their development, decline and recent renewal have determined the history of the capital in many ways.

Built between 1836 and 1899 by competing private train companies seeking to outdo one another, the construction of these terminuses caused tremendous upheaval and had a widespread impact on their local surroundings. What were once called ‘slums’ were demolished, green spaces and cemeteries were concreted over, and vast marshalling yards, engine sheds and carriage depots sprung up in their place.

In a compelling and dramatic narrative, Christian Wolmar traces the development of these magnificent cathedrals of steam, provides unique insights into their history, with many entertaining anecdotes, and celebrates the recent transformation of several of these stations into wonderful blends of the old and the new.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfosters_tube_station

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Competing theories are given as to why the Russian word for a central railway station is вокзал (vokzal), which coincides with the canonical 19th-century transliteration of "Vauxhall". It has long been suggested that a Russian delegation visited the area to inspect the construction of the London & South Western Railway (L&SWR) in 1840, and mistook the name of the station for the generic name of the building type—a "vaux hall", as it were. This was further embellished into a story that Tsar Nicholas I of Russia, visiting London in 1844, was taken to see the trains at Vauxhall and made the same mistake. Alternatively, the locality of the L&SWR's original railway terminus, Nine Elms Station, was shown boldly and simply as "Vauxhall" in the 1841 Bradshaw timetable.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lmao they had a guide for India that was also called the bradshaw and was unrelated. Its still ongoing btw even though you can just see train schedules online.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say Moscow is cleaner and safer than Paris and London as well. (Also, the Underground is ridiculously expensive for a piece of public transportation.)

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

lol people were wondering why the Azov Nazis would agree to let themselves get thrown into Avdiivka and have the noose slipped around their neck. Guess it took them a couple days of fighting to realize what path they were getting led down.

I know this definitely isn't true, but the 9D chess play from Zelensky could've been:

1. Fire Zaluzhny, who is a Banderite to the core
2. Replace with Srysky who is a loyalist to Zelensky
3. Start hurling all the Political Brigades at the frontlines so that they're torn apart in meatgrinders
4. Repeat 3 until you're confident enough Banderites have been killed that they have no power base left
5. Capitulate to Russia and then get the gently caress out of the country

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

VoicesCanBe posted:

I know this definitely isn't true, but the 9D chess play from Zelensky could've been:

1. Fire Zaluzhny, who is a Banderite to the core
2. Replace with Srysky who is a loyalist to Zelensky
3. Start hurling all the Political Brigades at the frontlines so that they're torn apart in meatgrinders
4. Repeat 3 until you're confident enough Banderites have been killed that they have no power base left
5. Capitulate to Russia and then get the gently caress out of the country

well if 4 works out well enough he wont have to leave the country?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jel Shaker posted:

well if 4 works out well enough he wont have to leave the country?

The Russians have stated it is too late for "partial" denazification, and they are demanding full capitulation. Also, the political types are doing the heavy lifting as far as "policing" the front line.

The problem with the plan is the US is going to demand Zelensky fight on regardless if he wants to access his accounts.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i maintain that zelensky's personal legitimacy in the segments of the west most eager to support the war makes him very valuable as a legitimate counterpart for the russians if they get to dictate terms. probably they're going to have to drive the ukrainian state into full collapse to do that, though.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Russia : We will make peace if you give and recognize those oblast as Russian territory.
Ukraine : This is unacceptable!!!!
Russia : Fine, the woodchipper will keep on chipping. Call us back when you change your mind and pray we didn't add Dnepropetrovsk to the list.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/02/15/ukraine-avdiivka-oleksandr-syrsky-russia/

Ukraine on verge of losing Avdiivka, strategic city long targeted by Russia
By Isabelle Khurshudyan
February 15, 2024 at 11:38 a.m. EST

... The ruined coke and chemical plant, once an economic pillar in Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region, is likely to be the last Ukrainian stronghold in Avdiivka, which has been embattled since 2014. Ukrainian troops say it is just a matter of time before they will have to surrender the city, and on Thursday the military said forces had already pulled back from some positions as the Russians have begun advancing rapidly...

Avdiivka potentially poses a first critical test for Ukraine’s new commander in chief, Col. Gen. Oleksandr Syrsky, who was elevated last week by President Volodymyr Zelensky and must decide if and when to admit defeat and withdraw. Many troops accuse Syrsky, who previously led Ukraine’s ground forces, of waiting too long to do the same last year in Bakhmut, another eastern city, when it was under siege last year.

Capturing Avdiivka would mark Moscow’s most significant battlefield victory since the failure of a Ukrainian counteroffensive last year — and would be the clearest sign yet that Russian forces are regaining the initiative as Kyiv runs short of soldiers, weapons, ammunition, morale and money.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

short of soldiers, weapons, ammunition, morale and money

oh so .. . Literally everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

fizziester posted:

Source: Washington Post

Capturing Avdiivka would mark Moscow’s most significant battlefield victory since the failure of a Ukrainian counteroffensive last year — and would be the clearest sign yet that Russian forces are regaining the initiative as Kyiv runs short of soldiers, weapons, ammunition, morale and money.

Yea but did you see that ship that got blown up? Friggin epic