Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Pigbuster posted:

Authy is ending support for their desktop app next month, March 19. Is there a good alternative that similarly uses the same account across both mobile and desktop? I don't want to drag my phone out every time I have to log in to a place.

1Password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

rafikki posted:

1Password?

It’s the GOAT and absolutely worth the money.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Already got it, but I’m not keen on having one point of failure or having to enter my password every time I need 2FA (assuming I’d have to; I don’t see the option in any menu while on the lock screen).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
1Password for passwords and 2FA backup codes, Microsoft Authenticator for the actual 2F.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why? If someone got access to your 1Password they could still use the backup codes. It doesn't seem like any added protection for a massive reduction in ease of use.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you store the 1Password account secret somewhere safe (and don’t write your passphrase on it) then I don’t think anyone’s getting into your 1Password vault without borderline tailored malware.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I really got to assure people that the level of effort someone needs in order to access your 1password account is extremely high. Yall giving up the convenience of 1password authenticators on shared accounts and the auto fill feature, seems insane.

The weak link is going to be something else. Lastpass is the cheating ex you gotta move on from and learn to trust again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

If you store the 1Password account secret somewhere safe (and don’t write your passphrase on it) then I don’t think anyone’s getting into your 1Password vault without borderline tailored malware.

I agree, which is why I am asking why you bother to use Microsoft Authenticator for your MFA and store your backup codes in 1Password. Unless I misunderstood you?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don’t need to split my vault and 2FA, but I already have, and MS Auth lets me do one-touch 2FA for the stuff I use most. If I ever switch phone operating systems again (iOS will only let you export to iCloud / Worst Cloud whereas Android backs up to OneDrive) then I’ll consider going all-in on 1Password.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm lazy and put my TOTP in both Authy and KeePass.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t need to split my vault and 2FA, but I already have, and MS Auth lets me do one-touch 2FA for the stuff I use most. If I ever switch phone operating systems again (iOS will only let you export to iCloud / Worst Cloud whereas Android backs up to OneDrive) then I’ll consider going all-in on 1Password.

Ah, I understand. I thought it was more a recommendation than that.

Yeah, I use 1Password for all of my MFA. And my families. And any orgs I do work with. My only MFA not in 1Password is my MFA to get into 1Password.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

My only MFA not in 1Password is my MFA to get into 1Password.
That’s also my thinking; if I need 2 MFAs I might as well maintain the split I have.

There are still 2-3 accounts where I never put the whole mechanism into any vaults; just memorizing an adequate password and still using 2FA. My ability to completely recover everything from memory died with the family copper landline, so now I like to have services that can support each other and one key for each lives in my head or on-body.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Could use 1Paasword and Bitwarden

I’m lazy so I just use Bitwarden for both

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Hed posted:

I WISH I could get my flipper to do something useful like be an opener for my garage door or car doors

I use mine to emulate amiibo’s.

I tried to get it to unlock my car, but I guess the flipper can’t do rolling code or something 🤷

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

MustardFacial posted:

I tried to get it to unlock my car, but I guess the flipper can’t do rolling code or something 🤷

You're very lucky you didn't desync your keyfob.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

Authy is ending support for their desktop app next month, March 19. Is there a good alternative that similarly uses the same account across both mobile and desktop? I don't want to drag my phone out every time I have to log in to a place.

KeePassXC can let you add TOTP to a password registration if you want to manage the database location, otherwise all major password managers with cloud storage can manage TOTP items.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mustache Ride posted:

Could use 1Paasword and Bitwarden

I’m lazy so I just use Bitwarden for both

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If a site doesn't let me do MFA with Yubikey it doesn't deserve to have it stored outside 1Password.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I spent a chunk of the weekend going through my 1Password, rotating really old passwords (especially ones with lower complexity) and also setting up Passkey everywhere I can and eliminating old defunct sites.

Dear god is passkey still such a shitshow.

First and foremost, 1Password can't do autofill of Passkeys in chrome on android yet. So anything I setup in 1password by itself can only actually be used on a desktop browser or in apps on Android. I got around that by setting up two passkeys (one in 1Password and 1 in Android synced to my google account) in every place that allowed me to do it.

But then most places implementation of it, when it actually was supported, was pretty bad.

Virtually no one lets you disable a password auth when you do passkey so you are missing out of one big security aspect of it since if the site has a breach that exposes passwords, you are still affected.

Paypal doesn't recognize 1Password as a valid place to store passkeys so it errors on setup. I was able to set it up on Android but a whole fat lot of good that does because they still require you to to MFA with passkeys (as does Amazon). So, not only are you not getting all the security benefits, you aren't getting the convenience benefits either.

Bestbuy's interface is straightforward enough and it seems to allow you to bypass the text based MFA which is good, but password still works when you have passkeys setup.

CVS bypasses MFA as well it seems like, but setup is a bit of a shitshow in that you have to have it actually prompt you to setup a passkey on login as there's nothing at all in the account settings that lets you manage them. So, if you issue a passkey there seems to be no way to revoke it right now.

LinkedIn claims to support it, but I have no such setting in my user control panel.

Twitter only supports it on iOS devices and nothing else.

Microsoft only supports it in desktop browsers (though thankfully it recognizes 1Password), you don't have the option to set it up under Android. It bypasses MFA at least though.

Out of everything, Synology seems to be the one doing the best with it. You setup a passkey, it disables your password login and their app based MFA. You can use either/or but not both at once. You can even freeform name what the device/method the key represents instead of just taking the browser info. Only thing that's kind of amiss is that their account recovery when using passkey if you lose it only seems to be text message based.

None of my financial institutions or medical stuff has added a passkey option (or even have MFA beyond email or text based offerings.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

bull3964 posted:

None of my financial institutions or medical stuff has added a passkey option (or even have MFA beyond email or text based offerings.)

In 2024, we're lucky they aren't still just sending them plain-text. Best Buy has better security than your bank and who knows when that will change.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Why would you want your passkeys in 1pass?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Why would you want your passkeys in 1pass?

So they synchronize across everything, same as any other reason why you would use 1Password.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is the built-in password manager in Chrome OK? I'm a basic bitch, and from the user experience standpoint it works fine for me. I have 2FA on my google account, and a passphrase on my Chrome data sync.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

browser password managers are fine these days, the only issue being how to deal with passwords you need to use outside of the browser

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

evobatman posted:

Is the built-in password manager in Chrome OK? I'm a basic bitch, and from the user experience standpoint it works fine for me. I have 2FA on my google account, and a passphrase on my Chrome data sync.

Just use Bitwarden.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Yay Bank of America.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Vibe check this statement for me:

quote:

I am always going to assume breach in all circumstances. Hedging your bets on "well the attackers would have to already be on the inside to exploit this" is in my opinion, an irresponsible stance for a cybersecurity professional. It's not 2012, perimeter security is dead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Countless breaches happen because the "perimeter" was bypassed for the sake of employee personal convenience and delicate feelings. Yes I am bitter. Yes I had a developer so angry they almost cried because random loving terminal app their installed on their mac book pro automatically uninstalled and they weren't consulted/warned weeks in advance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

That's just a way of saying zero trust. I might be a little nicer about how I said it, but on the technical side it is good and true.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Perimeter security is dead and the average user is going to find workarounds for anything you do, well-intentioned or not, if they at all perceive you as being the enemy of them getting their job done. Yes that includes if their workflow depends on their special snowflake terminal application and suddenly it goes away.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

MustardFacial posted:

It is a correct statement.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

It checks out.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

That's just a way of saying zero trust. I might be a little nicer about how I said it, but on the technical side it is good and true.

While yes it is a proponent of zero trust, I've always used to in the sense of assuming an attack will happen, or is presently happening. I think of it more as a mindset to approach the field, and not necessarily as part of a framework.

Sickening posted:

Countless breaches happen because the "perimeter" was bypassed for the sake of employee personal convenience and delicate feelings. Yes I am bitter. Yes I had a developer so angry they almost cried because random loving terminal app their installed on their mac book pro automatically uninstalled and they weren't consulted/warned weeks in advance.

While I totally agree with you, I don't have enough dedicated cybersecurity experience to make a statement like that.

corgski posted:

Perimeter security is dead and the average user is going to find workarounds for anything you do, well-intentioned or not, if they at all perceive you as being the enemy of them getting their job done. Yes that includes if their workflow depends on their special snowflake terminal application and suddenly it goes away.

It's always the loving developers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

corgski posted:

They can use one of the other dozen approved terminal apps and go about their lives. If that causes them to view security as their mortal enemy, so be it.

MustardFacial posted:

It's always the loving developers.

I wish it were true, they are just throwing the biggest baby tantrums lately. The industry small pivot away from kissing the feet of devs isn't being taken so well.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

I could not think of a nicer way to say it while still being succinct so I had Copilot do it for me

quote:

In light of our evolving security landscape, I believe it is prudent for us to adopt a proactive approach in protecting our organization's data. Rather than assuming our current security measures are foolproof, it is essential to remain vigilant and consider the possibility of breaches occurring from both internal and external sources.

With the increasing sophistication of cyber attackers, relying solely on perimeter security is no longer sufficient.

Sickening posted:

I wish it were true, they are just throwing the biggest baby tantrums lately. The industry small pivot away from kissing the feet of devs isn't being taken so well.

My entire sysadmin, devops, and cloud admin career has been fighting against developers wanting some stupid bullshit approved, or complaining that SonarQube rejected their lovely insecure code, or demanding they be exempted from update policies because it "disrupts their workflow"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MustardFacial posted:

True and accurate. Might want to soften the blow depending on the audience, but I have had many conversations with managers that sound like this.

Your second shot at it right above this is a good edit to ensure nobody decides to throw a tantrum over you being curt, while still sending the same message.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCZP09F6FQ

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sickening posted:

They can use one of the other dozen approved terminal apps and go about their lives. If that causes them to view security as their mortal enemy, so be it.

Soft skills are important, nobody likes a BOFH and if you want people to proactively engage with security you need to be respected.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

While yes it is a proponent of zero trust, I've always used to in the sense of assuming an attack will happen, or is presently happening. I think of it more as a mindset to approach the field, and not necessarily as part of a framework.

The framework is good but yes the mentality of viewing everything that ever touches a network as a vector is really the only way to approach things.

All we are all doing is making the blast radius as small as we can and making it harder to move laterally so attackers have to work for it. Then they are more likely to trip alarms and responses built around these systems. That’s really all that can be done.

Having a functional edge firewall to protect you from direct external attacks is the lowest hanging fruit and yet I still see a frustrating number of people going around with the whole “well, if they’re in the perimeter, we already lost. May as well give up” mentality. These people will never go away.

Developers will absolutely be terrible offenders if given a chance. But really if you have proper governance and modern devops practices, the worst they should be able to do practically is slip through (mostly automated) security testing when they’re trying to push something. Or maybe they compromise their dev/test environment. Nothing will stop them from writing terrible software, but if your system can keep the most egregious poo poo out of production and away from real things, then it’s all good. Keep them in the development shame cube with a very small window to get their stuff into prod and it’s fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

corgski posted:

Soft skills are important, nobody likes a BOFH and if you want people to proactively engage with security you need to be respected.

I don't think anybody is advocating for being a BOFH, and one of the main goals of an effective cyber team should be to work with other teams to find equitable solutions and not just throw mandates over the wall and tell them to figure it out. However, both teams have to be equally invested. If cyber has gone through the effort of approving multiple terminal apps for people to choose from and they're still going "But that's not my favourite one though!" Then that's on them to get in a huff about. Resources aren't endless, there has to be flexibility from both sides.