Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw Dunc 1 in 4dx when it came out and it hosed. the swaying of the chairs during the ornithopter scenes owned so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks. My Dune Tarot cards are also completely hosed at the moment with the amount of prescience floating around.

You should adopt the Fremen attitude of the knife.

I hope Alia is just a wee CGI spider in a wee aba.

Or grown up and totally unexplained Alicia Witt.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

You dont need to jerk off to Cinema to get the fun of full IMAX. It's just Fucken Really Big which makes it cool
I mean, that makes sense to me, and I can see how a director with a mind for IMAX can take advantage of it - but combined with not being able to go to København because of my health, and the cinema there being LIEMAX, I'm perfectly happy with just a regular cinema.

I was gonna go to the local cinema (the oldest one in Denmark), but they don't show it before the 7th (whereas Aalborg shows it on the 28th), and apparently there's a huge amount of requirements to do a double-header of DUNC & DUNC II: Battle For Arrakis, so I can't even justify waiting on that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I mean, that makes sense to me, and I can see how a director with a mind for IMAX can take advantage of it - but combined with not being able to go to København because of my health, and the cinema there being LIEMAX, I'm perfectly happy with just a regular cinema.

I was gonna go to the local cinema (the oldest one in Denmark), but they don't show it before the 7th (whereas Aalborg shows it on the 28th), and apparently there's a huge amount of requirements to do a double-header of DUNC & DUNC II: Battle For Arrakis, so I can't even justify waiting on that.

Yeah, all that is to say, just see it on the biggest screen thats convenient for you. It will almost always sound way better as well

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The last movie I saw in 4DX was Fast X and it was like a kind of annoying, uncomfortable physical torture. Also the 4dx was bad too.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 13, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Get in line.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Alia is going to be in the movie, but its the baby from twilight.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
*Taylor Lautner starts imprinting on a stick with a ball at one end*

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It didn't even occur to me but there isn't a whisper about the actress on IMDB, but that could be that it doesn't usually log the names of children idk. If they're keeping that detail super secret I'm not really sure what big reveal I'm supposed to be expecting at the theater.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Jewmanji posted:

Can someone with prescience tell me if Alia is going to be in this movie or not? If she's not then I need to start making preparations for a holy war in my father's name asap.

Yes, she is played by Tim Blake Nelson.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Any of the Skarsgard's have a right age daughter?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

deoju posted:

Alia is going to be in the movie, but its the baby from twilight.

honestly it should be something like this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I finally DUNCed! Only 3 years later!

It’s alright. Music was way too loud in my cinema.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like it wasn't loud enough

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The_Doctor posted:

I finally DUNCed! Only 3 years later!

It’s alright. Music was way too loud in my cinema.

Mods?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Speaking of Part 1, my gf and my buddy's gf are coming over soon to see it for the first time.

Trust me when I say, they will be bathed, inundated with lore for a single question they have about the characters or plot. My services are so committed that their demands for me to shut up will be brushed off like dirt. Sand, if you will.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I will admit I did get some pretty sick nerd kicks explaining all the backstory to my GF after we watched the reissue in IMAX last week

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Scags McDouglas posted:

Speaking of Part 1, my gf and my buddy's gf are coming over soon to see it for the first time.

Trust me when I say, they will be bathed, inundated with lore for a single question they have about the characters or plot. My services are so committed that their demands for me to shut up will be brushed off like dirt. Sand, if you will.

absolutely turn a massive Las-gun of LORE onto them if they ever make the mistake of asking any questions. make sure you have the words that make up CHOAM memorized. explain in depth the meaning of each word. pause the movie when the spider thing shows up so you can gift them an in depth understanding of the Bene Tleilax.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

uber_stoat posted:

absolutely turn a massive Las-gun of LORE onto them if they ever make the mistake of asking any questions. make sure you have the words that make up CHOAM memorized. explain in depth the meaning of each word. pause the movie when the spider thing shows up so you can gift them an in depth understanding of the Bene Tleilax.

(very quietly) bi lal kaifa

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

absolutely turn a massive Las-gun of LORE

As you know, the Holtzman effect causes a Las-gun fired at a LORE shield causes a nuclear explosion, sometimes at the source of the Las-gun

are you listening

but sometimes at the targeted LORE shield.

Sometimes both.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Speaking of lazguns, i thought in the books lazguns + shield = nuke to both. Why were they trying shoot DUNCans thopter with a laser?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

mostly because it looks cool but his thopter's shield does get popped by a missile after he blasts a bunch of the invading landing ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6X09D7Gyk&t=27s

e: the nuclear shield/lasgun interaction can destroy one or the other, or both. It's unpredictable, in the books at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, it's brought up that it's sometimes weaponised but considered a drastic last resort, both because of the unpredictability and because lasguns aren't cheap.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it's brought up that it's sometimes weaponised but considered a drastic last resort, both because of the unpredictability and because lasguns aren't cheap.

Which still really doesn't make sense, of course. A bomb that sometimes fizzles, sometimes explodes regularly, and sometimes goes nuke, but can be made compactly and out of relatively common if slightly expensive items? Yeah, who'd be able to use that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 15, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Attacking people with a nuclear weapon is also the greatest crime in the Imperium, and there's no clear way to distinguish between deliberate use of a nuke and a nuclear explosion caused by an accidental lasgun/shield interaction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which is why most houses may not do it, but there's a lot of pissed off people in the imperium. All this does is remove the much vaunted house monopoly on atomics.

That said this is a discussion that's been had a million times.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 15, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

Which still really doesn't make sense, of course. A bomb that sometimes fizzles, sometimes explodes regularly, and sometimes goes nuke, but can be made compactly and out of relatively common if slightly expensive items? Yeah, who'd be able to use that.

The whole thing with lasguns and shields is probably the single weakest scifi element of the series, tbh.

Or really, just the original book, since it gets dropped pretty quick.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

How common is "common," though? Common to the Houses isn't the same as common to anyone else. Materiel gets lost or "lost" pretty easily, but it's still relative in what seems to be a very imbalanced society. The opportunity to combine the two may just not come up for most people.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The whole thing with lasguns and shields is probably the single weakest scifi element of the series, tbh.

Or really, just the original book, since it gets dropped pretty quick.

My guess is that Herbert wanted to include sword fights to add to the medieval/feudal flavor of the world, and so he worked backwards from that idea and had to contrive the lasgun/shield thing to justify it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Well yeah, but that really didn't require the whole nuclear explosion thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I kinda got the impression that firing a man-portable lasgun at an enormous shield was much much more likely to just obliterate the guy with the lasgun, but I don't think they actually say. Otherwise, shielding an entire building seems incredibly risky, Great Convention or no.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Yeah, I figured it was a way to make it not like typical scifi of the time with lasers and shields.

I do wonder if fremen have and know how to use shields like Paul does. Or is it a foreign concept beyond "creates a worm feeding frenzy"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Yeah, I figured it was a way to make it not like typical scifi of the time with lasers and shields.

I do wonder if fremen have and know how to use shields like Paul does. Or is it a foreign concept beyond "creates a worm feeding frenzy"

In his talk with the Baron in the book, Rabban asks if he can keep the artillery because the Fremens don't use shields, so it will work just fine on them. The Baron gives him lasguns instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fremen probably know how to fight shields but in the deep desert shields just piss off shai hulud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's possible, but they seemed pretty off-put by Paul's fencing style, mistaking his ingrained slow blade and feints within feints style for toying with Jamis. I don't think they'd do well or have any experience against enemies with shields (until Paul trains them).

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
A couple of tracks from Part 2's soundtrack have been released, available on streaming and YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igtwOdqboT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnV2SChfTM

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Just fedex like ten timed Rube Goldberg shield x lasgun contraptions to your most hated house. One of them is bound to nuke’em, who cares in which contrived configuration.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1758202725718700342?t=Cpe8LYxm0pEdc6V2D9cLpA&s=19
How many characters are left that she could play?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Finally, the speculation of Alia is over. Lady Jessica gave birth to a full grown woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Older Alia from Children of Dune via talking head exposition dump a la Lynch's Dune.