Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well if it’s universally acknowledged by the gods of football who am I to point out the obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's also, uhh, universally acknowledged that the Packers urgently need to draft a left tackle in April.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well if it’s universally acknowledged by the gods of football who am I to point out the obvious

What is your obvious point? That a glaring need on that team wasn’t actually glaring?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's also, uhh, universally acknowledged that the Packers urgently need to draft a left tackle in April.

Inshallah

And seatte needs to trade back and draft the future all-pro and current running-like-Naruto Center; JPJ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is your obvious point? That a glaring need on that team wasn’t actually glaring?

That one draft pick was not, and never had a chance, to suddenly fix the Packers issues

The fact people think an obviously stupid talking point is in any way true is dumb as hell

This is just an excuse to cry about the live pick as if it mattered

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think what he meant by that is that Jayden's good at finding running lanes and avoiding hits when he's in the open field. He absolutely gets plastered but it's evident he can run past guys.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

The added bonus to this is also that the packers took AJ Dillon in the 2nd that same year. A guy whose only noteworthy thing is having huge legs in camp.

edit: it fit into a pattern from at least 2016 through that year where the packers seemed to show a complete unwillingness to draft more than a single offensive skill position player before the 5th round. It always seemed weird to me how little they appeared to try and make a serious upgrade to put the offense over the top rather than spend their 1-3 rounders on DL/CB/LB in whatever order for what seemed like 5 straight years when Rodgers was still amazing

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 16, 2024

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I'm new at this. I did a bunch of tape watching last year and had a rough tier ranking.

Very logical. Makes sense to me.

Doltos posted:

Here's how I do it:

1. Turn on youtube video of the prospect's toughest match up, watch it
2. Look to see if they're faster/stronger/quicker than everyone else around them or if they display great body control
3. Go google what the offensive and defensive scheme was supposed to be
4. Look up injury history

Appreciate it daltos. It's almost fun to develop those rules of thumb just to have guys who break them succeed every once in a while so that you can use the world's best phrase "exceptions prove rules"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

Very logical. Makes sense to me.

Appreciate it daltos. It's almost fun to develop those rules of thumb just to have guys who break them succeed every once in a while so that you can use the world's best phrase "exceptions prove rules"

I'd say it's less exception proves the rule and more that there are no rules. I think it's equally as silly to drat someone for having an ugly girlfriend as it is for having small hands. The short arms thing on linemen is bad in my opinion because I've yet to see anything that short arms are that debilitating in the NFL. Against my own preference, body catches are totally viable and plenty of guys catch with their body who also snatch the ball out of the air. I just think that grabbing the ball away from the body displays hand eye coordination and mindfullness to utilize your arms to create separation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Canopus250 posted:

The added bonus to this is also that the packers took AJ Dillon in the 2nd that same year. A guy whose only noteworthy thing is having huge legs in camp.

edit: it fit into a pattern from at least 2016 through that year where the packers seemed to show a complete unwillingness to draft more than a single offensive skill position player before the 5th round. It always seemed weird to me how little they appeared to try and make a serious upgrade to put the offense over the top rather than spend their 1-3 rounders on DL/CB/LB in whatever order for what seemed like 5 straight years when Rodgers was still amazing

I feel like this only works with hindsight since we know those defensive players aren’t going to work out. If those defensive players had worked out then maybe a seasoned defense can protect the packers offense when they inevitably have bad games

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I'd say it's less exception proves the rule and more that there are no rules. I think it's equally as silly to drat someone for having an ugly girlfriend as it is for having small hands. The short arms thing on linemen is bad in my opinion because I've yet to see anything that short arms are that debilitating in the NFL. Against my own preference, body catches are totally viable and plenty of guys catch with their body who also snatch the ball out of the air. I just think that grabbing the ball away from the body displays hand eye coordination and mindfullness to utilize your arms to create separation.

To be fancy, it's a heuristic, not a law

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The one true law of the draft is to get the defensive linemen with the biggest asses!!!

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like this only works with hindsight since we know those defensive players aren’t going to work out. If those defensive players had worked out then maybe a seasoned defense can protect the packers offense when they inevitably have bad games

I think it's fair to say hindsight helps some, but it also wasn't a total surprise how it went with regards to anybody who wasn't Adams. In 2016-2020 they drafted one single receiver in the 1st-4th rounds and took a few random shots in the 5th and the 6th and the receiver room pretty heavily collapsed.

Between those drafts and FA during those seasons, I perceived them as being very passive about looking for potential pieces and I don't think that's solely retrospective is all.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 16, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

For me, what I see in actual play is going to be the biggest component. I liked Skoronski a lot last year, and he's got short arms. Where I don't like short arms are guys who don't have good tape. I agree it's very hard to make any definitive casual links to arm length, and it's not the most precise measurement in the first place. Some guys with short arms play longer because of good upper body flexibility or just good technique. A more nuanced version of my stance is that I don't tend to like developmental OT's with short arms that play short on tape. Then you're into the question of how many developmental OT prospects are ever good at all. It's not a lot!

I agree with the larger point. there's not sone platonic form of any position in football or some magic metrics a prospect has to hit to be good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've always been a believer in technique and effort over talent and athleticism.

When lightning strikes and you get all 4 you're getting a god though.

But I'll take the guy who'll work his rear end off to succeed over the dude who doesn't have to.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

I've always been a believer in technique and effort over talent and athleticism.

When lightning strikes and you get all 4 you're getting a god though.

But I'll take the guy who'll work his rear end off to succeed over the dude who doesn't have to.

not me, I want the Laziest Player Available

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1758557915567309110?s=20

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yissssss

Such a good freaking turnaround

gently caress that company

Who was the goon that kept defending them last year? Name and shame!!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If "failing" this dumbass test contributed to Carolina taking Young, it might ironically have helped Stroud. Since he clearly landed with the much much much better coaching staff and supporting cast. But yeah I am glad to see guys boycott this nonsense.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yissssss

Such a good freaking turnaround

gently caress that company

Who was the goon that kept defending them last year? Name and shame!!!

nice try buster. it was you...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It was me?!?!

All along?!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

not me, I want the Laziest Player Available

Eh, we both know the draft has been littered with guys who tried to coast at the NFL level who were drafted high that coaching staffs and front offices thought they could motivate and there's a whole lot of guys who were too small or too slow who ended up hall of famers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BlindSite posted:

Eh, we both know the draft has been littered with guys who tried to coast at the NFL level who were drafted high that coaching staffs and front offices thought they could motivate and there's a whole lot of guys who were too small or too slow who ended up hall of famers.

There are not actually that many guys who were too small or too slow, who end up hall of famers lol.

Like there are maybe people who are like a couple percentage points lower than optimal in like arm length or burst speed who made up for it with instinct and tryhardyness , but were not actually too small or too slow, just not a 1% of 1% athlete.

like if a "T-Rex Arm" Tackle makes the hall, where people talk about man that dude had short arms, he's usually an insane athlete in other ways, and his "T-rex arms" amount to being like an 8th of an inch shorter than the "given standard" minimum.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

Most of the small/slow guys never make it past the practice squad but there’s certainly a ton of them who just can’t hack it physically at the NFL level no matter how hard they work.

On the flip side you’ve already got to be extremely dedicated to make it to the NFL no matter how talented you are and I think you’re overstating the number of super talented guys who just refused to try. For every high profile lazy guy there are 10x the number that are talented and also work super hard.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That reminds me of J Peppers - unstoppable defensive end for Carolina who was apparently lazy and didn’t even try until some years into the league.

Like Frieza…

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

There are not actually that many guys who were too small or too slow, who end up hall of famers lol.

Like there are maybe people who are like a couple percentage points lower than optimal in like arm length or burst speed who made up for it with instinct and tryhardyness , but were not actually too small or too slow, just not a 1% of 1% athlete.

like if a "T-Rex Arm" Tackle makes the hall, where people talk about man that dude had short arms, he's usually an insane athlete in other ways, and his "T-rex arms" amount to being like an 8th of an inch shorter than the "given standard" minimum.

Yeah the Mendoza Line for football is what I think the Combine is most useful for. I don't believe there's a massive difference between a 4.2 guy and a 4.6 guy since all routes have to wait on football time in the air. It's when players drop below like a 4.7 they become undraftable as a WR since their 10 yard split and top end probably isn't enough to make up for the ball in the air time or the bumps and jostling in a route.

For OL I think t-rex arms can be negligible if someone just simply steps up a bit more in their initial set. If they have some weird tiny arms that are so small that they'd have no hope then they have a lot more to worry about than being drafted in the NFL.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

idk, I'd think having film of every game a kid played over the last 2 years or so would give you an idea if the boy could play

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fat Jesus posted:

idk, I'd think having film of every game a kid played over the last 2 years or so would give you an idea if the boy could play

I kinda dislike looking at past tape unless there was a season ending injury. Humans develop physically typically until 25 years old when sarcopenia starts kicking in. It stands to reason that they're completely different players year to year. Like Myles Garrett was big coming out of high school but he got absolutely massive by the time he left college. Kind of unfair to judge him on his freshman year stuff when he put on 35 pounds of muscle by the time he graduated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like to do, as far as like things more related to a player's mental/technique than pure physical.

Watching someone's growth is cool, or watching something and wishing you could talk to the player, as to why something got worse.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I know there's an athletic and size baseline my dudes. Try not to take everything used as an informing general idea as a hard and fast data point. Shits not a science try as they might.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

I know there's an athletic and size baseline my dudes.

if only Tepper knew that

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i figure the bryce young pick wasn't really tepper trying to be a galaxy brain, it was tepper (a 5'10'' man) trying to prove a 5'10'' QB could dominate the league for vicarious reasons

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Bryce ain’t 5’10”.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here is Bryce standing next to an actual 5’10” QB

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Mr. Nice! posted:

They both measured 5’ 10 1/8” at the combine

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

look at the types of shoes they are wearing.

Kyler has Foams with decent lift on them, Bryce is in slides.

They are both like the same height, Kyler is just far more built.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Delmar Glaze. Learn the name.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

look at the types of shoes they are wearing.

Kyler has Foams with decent lift on them, Bryce is in slides.

They are both like the same height, Kyler is just far more built.

if we need to dock kyler an inch or so for the lifts we also need to dock bryce the same amount for his hair

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

if we need to dock kyler an inch or so for the lifts we also need to dock bryce the same amount for his hair

I wasn't looking at the hair at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

speaking of IOL what's up with Matt Lee? Why is he so far down on the consensus big board? He looks a little awkward when he's really in space, but he climbs to the second level really well and delivers meaningful blocks. Even when he's looking goofy in space he still manages to get in the way enough. He's also the best pass blocking center in the draft.