Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What weapons do you bring to terminator planet? I played a couple rounds there yesterday and it felt like half the enemies had my LMG rounds bouncing off their armor. How do you deal with, like, the AT-STs if they're coming right for you? I tried shooting them in the legs but that bounced off too.

First DMR or the slower but higher damage one handed smg. You just need to click heads for most of them. For the at-st you just sprint behind them and use your one handed to get the driver. Can also use ot to magdump the medium armor bots when they rush you. The grenade launcher+ammo pack is also killing machine. Real problem is the robo-dreadnoughts as they are tough as hell. 2 AT disposables seem to bring them down if you hit them in the face area thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jokes posted:

I currently have about 300 premium currency, and I just bought a chest armor for like 250 I'd like to just buy everything all of the time and accrue a bunch of fun and cool armors

You can get a bunch of the money easily by doing solo/duo level1 missions. This is also the best way to get common resources. They take ~6mins with 2 people splitting up to do objectives and open dual doors, and yield ~12 common resources and anywhere between 25-100 funbucks per run.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol at them grinding to level 30 already and being this salty about a random death thats their own fault.

I would be willing to concede it might have been too close but they ran towards it and I was in the middle of apologizing mid-kick, it seems like a lot of the ultra sweatlords are either nice and helpful or huge fuckwads with not a lot of inbetween

Spanish Manlove posted:

Today's just not your day

I seem to have bad luck in that regard. Right after that I got a weird bug where I was stuck in first person with no weapon, just been a cursed afternoon

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Exodee posted:

Also sweet democracy those robot extraction missions :stare:

Just tried one on 4 with pubbies. Just dropship after dropship after dropship, never got more than 5 of the hostages out. Total chaos. Really need to rethink my loadouts for those missions/save up for the rocket turret

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I need friends.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, at this point I'm halfway suspecting that the planet defense missions are outright bugged. We've literally had new dropships coming in before the last one even had time to leave, with an absolutely absurd amount of walkers and chainsaw guys, and several hulks as well. Genuinely feels like it's a full difficulty tougher than any other mission type.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah we tried one on medium and it just seemed kinda silly. Absolutely ate poo poo from start to inglorious end.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Took me a while to realize quickplay just searches the planet you're currently on, not across the system. Was wondering why I only kept fighting bugs.

Also ran into a weird bug where the dropship landed and none of us could enter it. So we just ran around doing objectives until the time expired.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Has anyone determined a weapon tier-list yet? I just unlocked the burst AR with medium penetration and it seems like a flat upgrade over the base AR and DMR, like no reason to ever use either now that I have this thing. Best thing about it is that you can just chonk through the red armored bugs without having to waste call-in weapon ammo. Additionally, both SMG's can gently caress right off, do poo poo damage and being able to shoot them one handed is rarely useful when the pocket-uzi exists.

Sgt. Cosgrove fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 15, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
IIRC robot defense missions weren't too bad before but the bug defense missions were really screwy; way under difficulty level because the spawns were borked. Maybe the quick patch last night fixing bug defense missions borked the bot missions in the opposite direction?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Taking those dropships out with an EAT is so good

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Has anyone determined a weapon tier-list yet? I just unlocked the burst AR with medium penetration and it seems like a flat upgrade over the base AR and DMR, like no reason to ever use either now that I have this thing. Best thing about it is that you can just chonk through the red armored bugs without having to waste call-in weapon ammo.

the tier list basically goes

very strong: breaker shotgun, autocannon, railgun, maybe stalwart

ok: most guns

trash: break-action, laser rifle, super citizen smg, starter pistol, sg-8 punisher, ??flamethrower??, laser cannon?

The penetration liberator is very strong against medium targets, but struggles to kill trash efficiently; its a good choice if you trust your teammates to clear the field.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Has anyone determined a weapon tier-list yet? I just unlocked the burst AR with medium penetration and it seems like a flat upgrade over the base AR and DMR, like no reason to ever use either now that I have this thing. Best thing about it is that you can just chonk through the red armored bugs without having to waste call-in weapon ammo. Additionally, both SMG's can gently caress right off, do poo poo damage and being able to shoot them one handed is rarely useful when the pocket-uzi exists.

smg in burst mode rules

iirc the game director said the intent is all the primaries have some kind of niche and are roughly similar in power, I don't think any of them are intended to be wildly better than the others (ymmv of course), depending on the opponent type/mission type/your loadout

this may also change if/when they introduce more enemy races to the game

that said you'll rarely find me without my full auto shotty against bugs or dmr against mechs, but I'll gently caress around with other stuff for fun all the time

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The slug pump shotgun is way better against mechs than the DMR. Weirdly so in fact.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Finally got to try the Scout Handshake emote:

https://i.imgur.com/JzbvdHV.mp4

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did the automaton civilian extraction with too much problems... with pubbies

Maybe I was just lucky?, they where high level players, all high than 20. The entrances where permantly radiated.
Everyone with me had the shield, I was in the landing pad killing elite enemies with the autocanon and spaming eagle attacks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The shotgun from the first warbond pack is surprisingly solid against the standard bots. I really don't have the loadout to support it though.

Disposable AT comes down fast enough it's like having a second heavy weapon slot and its calldown is super easy for me to remember. Also it's great watching a fresh reinforcement immediately grab one and blast the hulked out robo running at him with dual chainsaw arms. gently caress yeah: the freedom dispensers are for everyone!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Our group also got completely folded like laundry doing those scientist rescue missions. We literally could not kill fast enough to keep from getting overwhelmed, only making some headway when we managed to kite the gigantic ball of hulks/walkers/rocket robots to the corner of the map and had another player smashing the door buttons.

Freakin' dropships were flying in before our pods even landed.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I managed to do one on medium, but challenging was just too much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
After countless absurd failures, got two (medium) scientist rescues cleared in quickplay :buddy: (And also saw.... whatever planet that was hit 100%) Also justifying my insane plan of bringing a recoilless to reload on my own, to curse myself with bad reloads in exchange for easy snapshots.

Doing that back to back with "Kill 100 robots" using the disposable to shoot things down instead really reinforced the feeling the disposable has worse deploy to aim delay, and worse aim in general when you have to 180 degree spin to track an air target then pray they only bob up and down a little instead of a lot.

Disposable I need to have out and ready before the dropship shows up, not shooting anything else in the meantime. Recoilless I just whip out and 3rd person camera the engines to death... But it is always such a chore to get it back if I die :sigh:

Though "I am literally shooting down dropships as fast as I have ammo for them. How did I end up in this role I am the idiot machinegun lover!" still left things loving insane even on just medium without a tank in sight, and thanking god for people with autocannons handling the ground.

JBP posted:

I like to do dumb things so it's going to be heavy for me. I also think being a big chonky diver is cool.

The trick might be to specifically pick a heavy suit that outright says it has explosive resistance (which... might be the only kind in the default warbond anyways?), because that was my cause of "What do you mean ZERO deaths!?" barely standing ragdolls. Including "Oh poo poo, did I kill you by walking in front of your autocannon shot?" "No I think it was a rocket bot. How are you alive!?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 15, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Little Ampton posted:

I couldn't get past the first obstacle in the tutorial, and after comparing footage with a friend it turned out this barbed wire spawned too low for me to go under, even going prone didn't work lol

LMAO

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CheeseSpawn posted:

Lots of new players dont understand how crucial it is to not engage patrols as that runs the risk of reinforcements. On bug planet, this can lead to charger/bile titan cascades. Another drawback is when I'm out stealth solo striking objectives on the far side, occasionally teammates, try to sync with me to help not understanding that they are have a large chance to be spotted vs myself wearing light/stealth armor.

Yeah, it's brutal to do recon for a team of randos, point out a patrol and a moment later a pub starts taking potshots at range. :negative:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I feel like this is the one game where i am never going to apologize for a TK, regardless of circumstances. There could be zero enemies on the map and if i died to friendly fire i would just be like " Eh, i probably deserved it"

I use the Frown Face auto-comm, but that's it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just did a hard defence mission and for those saying 380s don't kill anything lmao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just stealthed a robot mission low-crawling through the grass with the anti-materiel rifle :ninja: really impressed at how well stealth can actually work in a game that seems finely tuned for chaos

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

How is this with normies? There's a 0% chance I'm convincing any friends to jump on this game with me at the moment

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

w00tmonger posted:

How is this with normies? There's a 0% chance I'm convincing any friends to jump on this game with me at the moment

Mostly fine when the matchmaker actually works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Matchmaking seems 100% on PC today if that helps. Pubbies are fine too. Haven't had too many mindless idiots.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It varies wildly. Sometimes you get a squad of ice-cold operators who instantly split up and do every objective alone in dead silence and with zero apparent effort, but occasionally you get the Keystone Kops.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yeah it’s just the way of things. Today on a run I accidentally caught a guy in an Eagle strike, called him back in, and was killed by his pod. This is managed democracy in action.

I feel like I've had a guy deliberately aim his pod at me when he's died at my hand.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

megane posted:

It varies wildly. Sometimes you get a squad of ice-cold operators who instantly split up and do every objective alone in dead silence and with zero apparent effort, but occasionally you get the Keystone Kops.

It's actually pretty funny when you get a squad of stooges all throwing airstrikes at each other or at themselves.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The beautiful thing about the game is that as long as everyone is chill and you don’t mind losing occasionally to shenanigans, even the Keystone Kops can be enjoyable. Definitely not the case in many horde games.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Matchmaking seems 100% on PC today if that helps. Pubbies are fine too. Haven't had too many mindless idiots.

The mindless idiocy is the best bit. Maybe even the whole point

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Grumbles posted:

The mindless idiocy is the best bit. Maybe even the whole point

It definitely helps that the background narrative is that everyone's like 18 years old and had 5 minutes of training before being thrust into a forever war with mutant bugs and killer robots with chainsaws for arms.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
:patriot:
https://i.imgur.com/KZa9rzu.mp4

Bruc
May 30, 2006
How are people going about taking out the cannon towers on the large bot bases? I know there are weakspots and I have no problem actually killing them but they seem to have crazy range and can track you at full speed without a problem so we end up dying to them a whole lot before actually getting an angle on them or in range for a strike of some kind.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Games great and all for sure but can we take a moment to appreciate how drat good it looks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bruc posted:

How are people going about taking out the cannon towers on the large bot bases? I know there are weakspots and I have no problem actually killing them but they seem to have crazy range and can track you at full speed without a problem so we end up dying to them a whole lot before actually getting an angle on them or in range for a strike of some kind.

Cover. Always Be Covering. If you're targeted and that thing is already pointed near you, you've got maybe 4 seconds. So you get up, watch the turret, and if it starts looking at you with deadly intent, get into cover.

And you can keep doing this to keep it busy on you while your buddy runs over and drops a 500kg on it or ACs the weak point in the rear.

Edit: Also I need to test this but I think smoking your path to the tower covers you as well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

They kind of need to do something about hosts having authority to kick people for no reason. I can't complete a Hard operation to get the next difficulty level unlocked even when:
  • I kill more enemies than the rest of the team combined
  • I do not kill anyone by accident
  • I do not even hit anyone by accident
  • I break all the legs on Chargers to help everyone kill them faster
  • I bring all of the samples to the extraction point that they carelessly left behind when they died
  • Etc.
I come back to the ship, ready to start the third mission and... see that I've been kicked from the game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there was a suggestion on the steam forums that kicking people should just be disabled when main objectives are complete or after extract is called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

there was a suggestion on the steam forums that kicking people should just be disabled when main objectives are complete or after extract is called

Doesn't really help, they do it when we get back to the ship. The public community in this game is really wearing me down...