Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guavanaut posted:

See also: Flat screen televisions. :wankah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
as old as it is, i still laugh. and have to point out a hell of a lot of people don't own that fridge, their landlord does

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

World Famous W posted:

as old as it is, i still laugh. and have to point out a hell of a lot of people don't own that fridge, their landlord does

99% of "poor" people rent apartments!

Especially like how "poor" is in quotes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DarkHorse posted:

There's also the "on food stamps but driving a Mercedes" where if you've been doing well for yourself but suddenly unemployed, like a lot of people were with the GFC, you're not going to turn in a paid-off reliable vehicle you already have. You won't get anywhere near as much vehicle for what you could sell it for, and you'd be stupid to get rid of it out of some sense of economic martyrdom

Yeah, part of my job is looking up KBB values for vehicles as part of resource evaluation and it's hilarious how quickly they drop in value. Dude's 60k brodozer is worth about 5000 after maybe 5 years. I saw a 2018 Ford truck that was hovering about 2500, I forget the exact model but lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, part of my job is looking up KBB values for vehicles as part of resource evaluation and it's hilarious how quickly they drop in value. Dude's 60k brodozer is worth about 5000 after maybe 5 years. I saw a 2018 Ford truck that was hovering about 2500, I forget the exact model but lol

I think the main bulletpoint is that it all boils down to "the cruelty is the point."
If you're poor or on hard times or however you want to phrase it, then they think you should also be forced to wear the Shame Hat and forfeit any nice things you have until you "earn" them back, even if they're things you had before the bad times hit. Drive a beater car that needs to go into the shop every 30 miles, subsist on gruel, dress poor, and never be allowed to enjoy yourself ever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm only happy if poors are eating tinned crackers over a paupers grave with a contract that ensures no escape and no upward mobility

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The old saw about how some people would be happy living in a cardboard box under a bridge as long as someone else doesn't get a box

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Not having a fridge is an indicator of being super rich, not poor.

When you eat out every night or order takeout / have someone cook for you, you don’t need to store ingredients or leftovers.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Red Oktober posted:

Not having a fridge is an indicator of being super rich, not poor.

When you eat out every night or order takeout / have someone cook for you, you don’t need to store ingredients or leftovers.
I realized some time ago that the few people on that side who even think far enough to realize having a fridge saves money like that it hurts them not to have it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Last year, our municipal government sent everyone who was on the low income programme a gift card that could only be used for a high efficiency rating refrigerator. It basically covers the price difference between an E or F rated fridge and an A or B rated one in the same price category. Not the worst investment, considering an A or B rated fridge uses twice as much electricity as an E or F rated one, and the refrigerator is one of the most energy hungry appliances to run. I can only imagine what American right-wing media would do with a news story like that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

My right wing and rich relatives don't do leftovers ever. Whatever it is, after dinner, is trashed.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Last year, our municipal government sent everyone who was on the low income programme a gift card that could only be used for a high efficiency rating refrigerator. It basically covers the price difference between an E or F rated fridge and an A or B rated one in the same price category. Not the worst investment, considering an A or B rated fridge uses twice as much electricity as an E or F rated one, and the refrigerator is one of the most energy hungry appliances to run. I can only imagine what American right-wing media would do with a news story like that.
Orgasm

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Upsidads posted:

I'm only happy if poors are eating tinned crackers over a paupers grave with a contract that ensures no escape and no upward mobility

I loved replying with this Onion article to posts complaining about this. The mental knots people would tie themselves into trying to explain why they're actually not like that were incredible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I can just hear the chorus of, "I'm not racist, but..." posts.

Like even if it was true, suck it up. This is the cynicism of capitalism, which will embrace performative diversity in the name of a few extra bucks. Don't worry, it's still overwhelmingly white guys calling all the shots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember one guy on twitter who was fully "I'm not racist, but I have analyzed the racial makeup of 100s of hours of commercials in a spreadsheet and they are non-representative of the population demographics"

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
They highlighted a wealthy attractive white couple during one of the biggest televised sporting events of the year and it just made them angry, what the gently caress do they want?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

disposablewords posted:

I can just hear the chorus of, "I'm not racist, but..." posts.

Like even if it was true, suck it up. This is the cynicism of capitalism, which will embrace performative diversity in the name of a few extra bucks. Don't worry, it's still overwhelmingly white guys calling all the shots.

It's wild that I can still be bewildered by how stupid the non-issues people can get worked up over are.
Like, believe me, I don't need to see a fat white guy on tv to know that they want me to buy a box of hot pockets. Literally anyone can be on there yelling "Croissant crust!" and I will be more than willing to decide that maybe I should go to the store.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
1950 seems like a reasonable start for when TV started becoming a thing you’d expect a household to have or aspire towards. Now show me the amount of white vs non-white or mixed race couples on tv from 1950-2024

Not gonna check the stats myself bc I already know it’s 95% straight whites and to get to national representation ae have a lot of catching up to do

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Willatron posted:

They highlighted a wealthy attractive white couple during one of the biggest televised sporting events of the year and it just made them angry, what the gently caress do they want?

Their angle always seems to be grievance politics so to that end there's never gonna be a point they're satisfied with since their gimmick dies with their grievances in that scenario.

Like there was a Christian commercial in the super Bowl that tried to promote Christianity as kind and empathetic, but chuds called it Satanism because of the racial makeup of the AI generated feet washing couples.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The only acceptable kind of Christian charity is where you make some homeless people sit through a 90 minute sermon where you just berate them constantly for being druggies and then give them some expired Safeway food.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, 'lmao woke bs'

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Willatron posted:

To be angry

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

DarkHorse posted:

To be angry

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Feel good that strangers are worse off and they are not them

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

1950 seems like a reasonable start for when TV started becoming a thing you’d expect a household to have or aspire towards. Now show me the amount of white vs non-white or mixed race couples on tv from 1950-2024

Not gonna check the stats myself bc I already know it’s 95% straight whites and to get to national representation ae have a lot of catching up to do

WASPy boomers grew up with the TV targeting them specifically and it really pisses them off that other people watch it now too

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Can I just say how much I fuckin love the Taylor Swift war? It really is the pinnacle of stupidity

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

How is she fairing vs most fortune 500

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I cared deeply about climate being affected by private jets UNTIL Taylor did it. Now I have my own private jet that I idle on the tarmac so I can continuously refuel it. I am a self-consistent person and not a warped amalgam of conservative hatreds.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm more worried that celebrities will outdo major corporations in planet loving

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what % are ALL the private jets CO2?

like yeah its a thing, but seems like another distraction thats trying to use classism as lazy support

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PhazonLink posted:

like yeah its a thing, but seems like another distraction thats trying to use classism as lazy support

Two tons per hour of flight time for the averagely loaded jet. More than five million hours of flight per year.

Or in words us normies who ride commercial planes can parse, a private jet passenger spends up to 40 times the co2 of a commercial passenger for the same route, or the average EU resident spends just over 8 tons of co2 per year using all energy besides flying. Car, public transit, electricity, cooking, heating, internet, washing, everything

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 16, 2024

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

Well what's really the harm in making GBS threads on billionaires? If we're going to give the side-eye to someone driving an F-450 then surely we can extend the courtesy to private jets and mega-yachts. It's not like airtravel in general is absent from environmental or climate discussions so giving private jets a pass would be an odd exemption.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

One Weird Trick to get CHUDs to pretend like they give a poo poo about the environment

e: it’s not that it would be wrong to give a poo poo about the effects of private jets, it’s that conservatives absolutely do not give a poo poo about the effects of private jets they just think if they recite the spells correctly it will own the libs who usually use them

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LonsomeSon posted:

One Weird Trick to get CHUDs to pretend like they give a poo poo about the environment

e: it’s not that it would be wrong to give a poo poo about the effects of private jets, it’s that conservatives absolutely do not give a poo poo about the effects of private jets they just think if they recite the spells correctly it will own the libs who usually use them

I mean, it's no different than when they were yelling "Aha!" because Al Gore talked about climate change but also flew to places in a plane or because Greta Thunberg didn't eat her fruit cocktail out of a biodegradable pudding cup or whatever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

And you can only accuse gop of corruption or crimes if your background check proves your sainthood and that you are ignorant of politics so no bias is possible...even then

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

the_steve posted:

I mean, it's no different than when they were yelling "Aha!" because Al Gore talked about climate change but also flew to places in a plane or because Greta Thunberg didn't eat her fruit cocktail out of a biodegradable pudding cup or whatever.

Or appropriating My Body My Choice for vaccine refusal or X Lives Matter where X is a thing which CHUDs have been told to whine about but is also a thing which in absolutely zero ways could be said to have a Life in the same way a human being does, or

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LonsomeSon posted:

Or appropriating [...] X Lives Matter where X is a thing which CHUDs have been told to whine about but is also a thing which in absolutely zero ways could be said to have a Life in the same way a human being does, or
Or where X is both a choice and a declaration that their lives matter less than other people. Sorry police, but you can't both declare "Blue Lives Matter" and also that you lay your life on the line to keep the rest of us safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

LonsomeSon posted:

If you have more time than sanity you can have fun agreeing wholeheartedly with their concern trolling, then watch them shoot down every idea to fix the problem you two suddenly mutually have. Make sure to emphasize they're not coming up with anything

Please note this accomplishes nothing of value