Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

jokes posted:

You’re right they only offer a hybrid accord now— weird! The insight is dead because it was too pure for this world

Honda pulled the weird move of killing the 2.0T option and making the hybrid motor the upgrade. Maybe the take rate on the more powerful motor was low and they needed the CAFE boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Roseo posted:

Is there even really a functional difference between what's called a station wagon in the US nowadays and the compact/subcompact cuv vehicles? Aside from like 3-6 inches of roof height maybe, they're all about the same dimensions. If you're looking at the outback you may as well start cross shopping cuvs as there's going to be a ton more variety.

I'm not against this, anything in the CUV space that jumps out as worth considering given the above pricepoint/wants?

I'd briefly considered Mazdas (CX-50 a decent option?) but learned that their screens aren't touch screen which bothered me given my 2012 GTI has a touchscreen (or, mb now they are, only if you are using Android Car Play... maybe functionally that makes them touch whenever you'd used them anyway?). Just spec'd a CX-50 Turbo Prem Plus (2024) and with all the options I want, MSRP is ~$47k so in my price range for sure. But I the whole "not having a touchscreen" thing still bothers me if that's true (the Mazda site doesn't say the display is touch...)

e: okay I googled it and looks like the screen is touch... so now the CX-50 seems like a compelling option, appears to have good reviews?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm on my second Audi

Thanks for this, makes me feel a bit better considering the Audi Allroad options - I'm fine with maintenance being a bit expensive (and time consuming lol) if it's just the scheduled stuff, I just don't want a car that is in and out of the shop for dumb poo poo all the time.

Any thoughts on what I really lose going to the A4 Allroad instead of the A6 Allroad? Assume top trim levels for either (think I have to go top trim level to get ventilated seats in either anyway)

black.lion fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not having a touch screen is the correct UIX but you're going to have your own personal taste. No contest, you can't use a touchscreen without putting yourself in danger while a knob and hard buttons are usable with your eyes on the road to do routine UI stuff.

I've been in a few different rentals since infotainment screens became standard and Mazda's is my favorite because of the no-touchscreen and the relative size of screen to dash and physical controls.

They've added capacitive touch back in to some of the later Mazda models but it behooves you to use the dial and buttons which were forged in the UIX fires of not having a touchscreen fallback and work well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

Any thoughts on what I really lose going to the A4 Allroad instead of the A6 Allroad? Assume top trim levels for either (think I have to go top trim level to get ventilated seats in either anyway)

Both mine have been S4s, so I can't speak from authority about the *6-series. My experience has been that I can carry 4 adults in comfort but adding a fifth is uncomfortable. If you need Sorrento-size room for your family, I think you might get pushed to the A6. I've always wished I could get the night vision thing the A6 has, but I also suspect that if I had it, I might think it was an annoying gimmick. That is the only feature I've ever wanted but not had.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

zedprime posted:

Not having a touch screen is the correct UIX but you're going to have your own personal taste. No contest, you can't use a touchscreen without putting yourself in danger while a knob and hard buttons are usable with your eyes on the road to do routine UI stuff.

I've been in a few different rentals since infotainment screens became standard and Mazda's is my favorite because of the no-touchscreen and the relative size of screen to dash and physical controls.

They've added capacitive touch back in to some of the later Mazda models but it behooves you to use the dial and buttons which were forged in the UIX fires of not having a touchscreen fallback and work well.

I agree with this as a matter of design and safety but on my car, I sometimes find Android Auto apps that just don't do well with the scroll wheel. Waze, for example, seems to move the cursor for me, for reasons I don't understand. I think that if I used AA a lot, I'd want a touchscreen, even though I hate them.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

zedprime posted:

I like the idea of using the dial most of the time, just not all of the time (like I'd pretty much only use dial/steering wheel buttons when driving solo, but with wife in shotgun and her trying to get the right Moana song to play on a roadtrip, I'd like her to be able to touch the screen instead of have to mess with a dial near where my hand rests)

Anyway it looks like the 2024 CX-50 has both which is lovely, and I agree with you re: safety ofc

I also love how small their screen is compared to rest of the dash components, and am really glad that there are real buttons for most functions (do not like how the Sorento controls almost everything via screen)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Both mine have been S4s, so I can't speak from authority about the *6-series. My experience has been that I can carry 4 adults in comfort but adding a fifth is uncomfortable. If you need Sorrento-size room for your family, I think you might get pushed to the A6. I've always wished I could get the night vision thing the A6 has, but I also suspect that if I had it, I might think it was an annoying gimmick. That is the only feature I've ever wanted but not had.

Awesome thanks, rn our family is 2x adults, a 2yo, and two small dogs... another kid is prob in the cards in the lifetime of this car, but we will be max'd at 4 humans 2 dogs, so I think space-wise this will work (esp with a Thule thingie on top for luggage, dogs can go in the rear area in the Allroad)

The night vision on A6 doesn't excite me but I do sort of want the HUD feature (projection on the windshield) - have some memory that isn't on the A4 even at top trim level, but otherwise aside from size I don't really see a need for the A6 (my dad keeps telling me A6 only option bc better engine lol)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mazda’s lack of touchscreen is an intentional design choice and IMO a very good one. And now there’s also research data coming out showing that touchscreens are less safe. Much easier to use while driving and doesn’t get fingerprints all over the screen. It works great with CarPlay. I have a CX-5 and like it very much but it’s smaller inside than something like an A6 wagon.

When I bought it I wanted to buy a wagon but there are just no practical options in the USA anymore. The handful of wagons we get are all expensive euro luxury imports, and even those can be thin on the ground when actually looking for one. And also I feel you on Subarus, they’re ugly and bland and quirky but not in an interesting way, and not as cheap to run as their image would suggest.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

Mazda’s lack of touchscreen is an intentional design choice and IMO a very good one. Much easier to use while driving and doesn’t get fingerprints all over the screen. I have a CX-5 and like it very much but it’s smaller inside than something like an A6 wagon.

When I bought it I wanted to buy a wagon but there are just no practical options in the USA anymore. The handful of wagons we get are all expensive euro luxury imports, and even those can be thin on the ground when actually looking for one. And also I feel you on Subarus, they’re ugly and bland and quirky but not in an interesting way, and not as cheap to run as their image would suggest.

Did you look at a CX-50 when choosing the CX-5?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

black.lion posted:

Awesome thanks, rn our family is 2x adults, a 2yo, and two small dogs... another kid is prob in the cards in the lifetime of this car, but we will be max'd at 4 humans 2 dogs, so I think space-wise this will work (esp with a Thule thingie on top for luggage, dogs can go in the rear area in the Allroad)

The night vision on A6 doesn't excite me but I do sort of want the HUD feature (projection on the windshield) - have some memory that isn't on the A4 even at top trim level, but otherwise aside from size I don't really see a need for the A6 (my dad keeps telling me A6 only option bc better engine lol)

A4 Allroad Prestige gets the HUD, at least here in the US. On my 2019, if you are using your phone for navigation, the navigation cues do not show up on the HUD. Only the onboard nav works with it. That was a disappointment for me. It might be something they've improved now, so I urge you to check if it matters to you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

black.lion posted:

Did you look at a CX-50 when choosing the CX-5?

I bought my CX-5 in 2021 before the CX-50 existed. I went with the loaded Signature turbo model because I was cross shopping against entry level lux stuff like the A4 allroad, X3, Q5, etc. It’s maybe not as premium as those but it’s quite nice and cost $35k instead of $55k and will be cheaper in the long run to maintain too. I own a BMW as well so I know the good and bad of that class of car and decided against it for the family hauler.

I like some things about the 50, like being a bit lower and longer is more wagon like. But it’s also wider (bad for cities and my garage/parking) and on a less premium platform with cheaper suspension design. And has a few small aesthetic design details I think are silly. So trade offs I guess.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 11, 2024

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

black.lion posted:

Awesome thanks, rn our family is 2x adults, a 2yo, and two small dogs... another kid is prob in the cards in the lifetime of this car, but we will be max'd at 4 humans 2 dogs, so I think space-wise this will work (esp with a Thule thingie on top for luggage, dogs can go in the rear area in the Allroad

I know you said no to the Volvo, but I’d consider the V60 recharge as an alternative to the A6 Allroad. At least try it if you can find one to test drive. The savings from the phev would put it above the Audi imo.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 11, 2024

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The CX-50 allows for the use of touch in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but it’s disabled by default.

This is also true of the CX-90/70. I believe they added it to the 2024 3 and CX-30 as well if you get a trim with the bigger infotainment screen. Turn it on and touch away.

The rotary knob works fine, you get used to it very quickly, and I don’t miss a touch screen at all. The only place where it really falls down is entering text, but then again touching a keyboard while driving is also super risky.

It’s not just purely a rotary knob either, it has cardinal directions which help along with shortcut keys (back button, favorites, home button).

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 11, 2024

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

A4 Allroad Prestige gets the HUD, at least here in the US. On my 2019, if you are using your phone for navigation, the navigation cues do not show up on the HUD. Only the onboard nav works with it. That was a disappointment for me. It might be something they've improved now, so I urge you to check if it matters to you.

Ah nice that's good info on both points, ty

Guinness posted:

I bought my CX-5 in 2021 before the CX-50 existed. I went with the loaded Signature turbo model because I was cross shopping against entry level lux stuff like the A4 allroad, X3, Q5, etc. It’s maybe not as premium as those but it’s quite nice and cost $35k instead of $55k and will be cheaper in the long run to maintain too. I own a BMW as well so I know the good and bad of that class of car and decided against it for the family hauler.

I like some things about the 50, like being a bit lower and longer is more wagon like. But it’s also wider (bad for cities and my garage/parking) and on a less premium platform with cheaper suspension design. And has a few small aesthetic design details I think are silly. So trade offs I guess.

Rgr - didn't know abt the less premium platform (what does that mean? I am not a car-knower which by now is obvious) - what are the aesthetic details you dislike on the CX-50?

Thankfully I have room where I live for the extra width/length

Mustache Ride posted:

I know you said no to the Volvo, but I’d consider the V60 recharge as an alternative to the A6 Allroad. At least try it if you can find one to test drive. The savings from the phev would put it above the Audi imo.

So this car is sexy af and checks all my boxes I think, the reason I nix'd Volvo in my head is I was told maintenance was expensive, sometimes frequent, and hard to find someone to work on them not at the dealer - maybe the cost of maintenance/reliability are not that bad? Or mb not so bad for the Polestar? But then like, the cost of getting a charger installed at home is a thing at that point, correct?

e: Wait no ventilated front seats!!! Sweden is not at my latitude lol

kefkafloyd posted:

The CX-50 allows for the use of touch in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but it’s disabled by default.

This is also true of the CX-90/70. I believe they added it to the 2024 3 and CX-30 as well if you get a trim with the bigger infotainment screen. Turn it on and touch away.

The rotary knob works fine, you get used to it very quickly, and I don’t miss a touch screen at all. The only place where it really falls down is entering text, but then again touching a keyboard while driving is also super risky.

It’s not just purely a rotary knob either, it has cardinal directions which help along with shortcut keys (back button, favorites, home button).

Yeah I'm fully on-board with knob for my solo use, but again would really like my wife to be able to plug her phone in from shotgun and control things without having to fox with the knob

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
CX-50 is mostly positives and overall more car from the width and length and you also pay for it. They are pushing hard to get it to replace the CX-5 in popularity probably so they can focus on manufacturing only the Mazda 3 platform while still reaping market differentiation.

I got a CX-5 also in 21. Looking at just the specs, I'd probably get a CX-50 now unless the piggier dimensions removed all the zoom zoom. While you're on the lot its worth trying both if only cause it's like $5k less for a signature CX-5.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

black.lion posted:

Rgr - didn't know abt the less premium platform (what does that mean? I am not a car-knower which by now is obvious) -

The CX-50 is built on the same basic chassis platform as the Mazda 3 but stretched out. It has a torsion beam rear suspension instead of independent rear suspension. In practice Mazda is generally quite good at suspension tuning so it may not matter much, but from an engineering/car dork point of view it is a cheaper and more limited design that may mean a less smooth ride especially over rough roads or when you're pushing the car harder. On the plus side its a very simple and reliable design with fewer long term maintenance parts.

Platform sharing is all the rage among all the automakers these days for cost reduction, and it's not inherently a bad thing, but it can mean some compromises. The CX-5 is its own platform and has an independent rear suspension. How much any of it matters in the real world is debatable. Drive both back to back and see if you can even tell a difference or care. Other feature differences are probably more important in the real world.

quote:

what are the aesthetic details you dislike on the CX-50?

The fake vents front and (especially) rear bug me a little bit, plus the ever-growing size of the black plastic cladding all around. But in the scheme of new car design it's pretty minor and there are many many worse offenders. I like the overall shape and profile of the CX-50, maybe more than the CX-5, but the CX-5 has fewer "overstyled" elements IMO.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2024

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Awesome thanks on both points, will def test drive both when I get to that point - I agree the fake vents are dumb af but they don't bother me much in the overall scheme, same with the extra black plastic trim or whatever (and I'd be getting black paint so would be less noticeable)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Here buy this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2022-audi-rs6-avant-10/

Edit: ew red interior never mind

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ioniq 5 / N

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

black.lion posted:

Rgr - didn't know abt the less premium platform (what does that mean? I am not a car-knower which by now is obvious) - what are the aesthetic details you dislike on the CX-50?

Thankfully I have room where I live for the extra width/length

So this car is sexy af and checks all my boxes I think, the reason I nix'd Volvo in my head is I was told maintenance was expensive, sometimes frequent, and hard to find someone to work on them not at the dealer - maybe the cost of maintenance/reliability are not that bad? Or mb not so bad for the Polestar? But then like, the cost of getting a charger installed at home is a thing at that point, correct?

e: Wait no ventilated front seats!!! Sweden is not at my latitude lol

Yeah I'm fully on-board with knob for my solo use, but again would really like my wife to be able to plug her phone in from shotgun and control things without having to fox with the knob

If she is using Android Auto / Carplay (which you really should) you just type on your phone, it’s the better experience anyway for a passenger.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How big of a deal is it for a car to have like 80k kilometers on it? A lot of the cars I'm being shown in my price range ($35k CAD) are 2019ish with around that many k on them. I just see it as 80k I don't get to use, but the people trying to sell to me assure me that it's not that much.

I kind of liked this one but I haven't test driven it yet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
YMMV but the dash and steering wheel setup on those HRVs was terrible for me and my wife. The top of steering wheel blocks top half of the speedometer. Also going from 60mph to 75 is terrifyingly slow if you actually need to do it merge safely.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/bala-cynwyd-2003-acura-cl-type-2003-cl/7711425076.html
On a scale of 1-10, how bad of an idea is this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pixelante posted:

How big of a deal is it for a car to have like 80k kilometers on it?

What matters is maintenance. 80k km isn't a lot on a modern car. Most will easily go to 200k miles if maintained properly.

It's a cheap old honda. Not sure what you're looking for other than "get a PPI", which is what the other poster needs to do also.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The main failure point on the J is the timing belt so I would definitely check to see when that was last done. "PO did timing belt" could have been a year ago or could have been eight.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The main failure point on the J is the timing belt so I would definitely check to see when that was last done. "PO did timing belt" could have been a year ago or could have been eight.

Yes, encountered that on my Civic.
"I changed the timing belt 30,000 miles ago"
So I figured it was good. When I double-checked the Carfax, 30,000 miles was 13 years ago.

Whats the worst case scenario for that airbag light being on? I don't have any experience with trying to fix those.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's a few options for absolute worst case scenario, but a code pull can usually give some detail as to what is wrong.

Actual worst case: SRS is inop and instead of a nice squishy airbag your body slows down by hitting the steering wheel when you are in a crash
Expensive and annoying worst case: some module buried deep within the car is dead, NLA, and needs to be replaced

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Whats the worst case scenario for that airbag light being on? I don't have any experience with trying to fix those.

Anything from a bad airbag, to a bad airbag module to rodent damage to literally missing airbag(s). This is why you get a PPI. Someone who knows what they are looking at and has the appropriate equipment can quantify the problem with that specific car.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Motronic posted:

Anything from a bad airbag, to a bad airbag module to rodent damage to literally missing airbag(s). This is why you get a PPI. Someone who knows what they are looking at and has the appropriate equipment can quantify the problem with that specific car.

Could someone recommend a good mechanic for a PPI in the Philadelphia area? I realize probably a long-shot.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's a car that was in an accident, then rebuilt and put on the road. It also came from a state other than Pennsylvania and was never legally driven on the roads there. And I can tell all that just from looking at the ad

It was an expensive car when new, and it's going to continue to have expensive replacement parts, so if you're looking for reliable economical daily driver, this is not it.

It is going to need to pass inspection, and it's not going to do that unless the warning lights are resolved. Then it's going to need to pass emissions. So expect to pay hundreds of not thousands more just to get it on the road legally.

I can recommend several reputable mechanics in Philadelphia area, but my advice is to walk away from this car unless you're looking for a project.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2024

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
A family member specifically wants a 3 row SUV for carpooling reasons and they would like it to be hybrid for gas mileage reasons.

Proposed Budget: 50k or under
New or Used: New
Body Style: 3 row hybrid SUV
How will you be using the car?: Carpooling, errands, general "around the town" driving. Possibly a couple roadtrips to neighboring states on vacations (probably 4-5 hours away or so, not talking cross-country here or anything)
What aspects are most important to you? : Reliability, fuel economy

They said they would buy a Toyota Highlander Hybrid immediately if they could, but there are none in stock in the nearby area and apparently Toyota does not let you place one on order. (I think they were looking at the LE trim which is about $40k but at this point would probably spend a bit more just to get something, as long as it was known to be reliable). Any thoughts here? How are the Kia/Hyundai/Mazda equivalents regarded in this area?

edit- Minivans are not acceptable (honestly not sure why but it's what they're saying...)

FPS_Sage fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 15, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sounds like they actually want a minivan

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It sounds like they actually want a minivan

That was the first thing I said to them as well, but "they don't want one"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I guess I’d recommend the SUVs that are minivans with worse ergonomics like the Chevy Traverse or a Toyota Highlander

I don’t have much to offer in this, apart from steering them away from any “sporty” three row vehicles or that have truck-like driving dynamics. Basically you just wanna stick to the larger midsize market with lower ground clearance.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 15, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nitrox posted:

It was an expensive car when new, and it's going to continue to have expensive replacement parts, so if you're looking for reliable economical daily driver, this is not it.

It's an Acura, not a Porsche. Anything truly Acura CL specific might be higher demand / lower availability but the bulk of the parts needed for day to day maintenance are going to be as cheap as they would be for a V6 Accord.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

FPS_Sage posted:

A family member specifically wants a 3 row SUV for carpooling reasons and they would like it to be hybrid for gas mileage reasons.

Proposed Budget: 50k or under
New or Used: New
Body Style: 3 row hybrid SUV
How will you be using the car?: Carpooling, errands, general "around the town" driving. Possibly a couple roadtrips to neighboring states on vacations (probably 4-5 hours away or so, not talking cross-country here or anything)
What aspects are most important to you? : Reliability, fuel economy

They said they would buy a Toyota Highlander Hybrid immediately if they could, but there are none in stock in the nearby area and apparently Toyota does not let you place one on order. (I think they were looking at the LE trim which is about $40k but at this point would probably spend a bit more just to get something, as long as it was known to be reliable). Any thoughts here? How are the Kia/Hyundai/Mazda equivalents regarded in this area?

edit- Minivans are not acceptable (honestly not sure why but it's what they're saying...)

You basically go to a Toyota dealer and say I will buy the next one that you get if it is trim X, Y or Z. Then you wait. Then give them $500.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I think I hate my broker. She keeps throwing stuff at me that doesn't meet my requirements (too big, too old, too manual transmission) and is saying I'm pretty much on my own for test driving, which she warns is risky because the dealerships won't work with me if they find out I have a broker. If I'd known that I would have done things differently.

Gonna try to deke around her to reach her boss and ask him for help. The brokerage has hundreds of 5-star reviews, but they all mention him or other staff, never the woman I'm stuck working with.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pixelante posted:

I think I hate my broker. She keeps throwing stuff at me that doesn't meet my requirements (too big, too old, too manual transmission) and is saying I'm pretty much on my own for test driving, which she warns is risky because the dealerships won't work with me if they find out I have a broker. If I'd known that I would have done things differently.

Gonna try to deke around her to reach her boss and ask him for help. The brokerage has hundreds of 5-star reviews, but they all mention him or other staff, never the woman I'm stuck working with.

Don't mention a broker. Say you had your eye on a particular car and would like to test drive it. If they ask, tell them you saw it in their online inventory. After the drive, tell them you're in the early stages and just getting a feel for the market. Then you can go home and talk to the broker about it if you liked it. You're allowed to be devious.

Test driving is not a big deal. You need to do it before you buy one, but it's a routine thing that goes on every day at a dealer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seconded. Dealers generally only get sketchy about test drives if you're a 19 year old boy walking up to a V8 Mustang. If you're test driving regular cars most of them should just want to see your driver's license and call it good.

Also, a broker in this transaction is a luxury, if you don't like yours get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

DildenAnders posted:

Could someone recommend a good mechanic for a PPI in the Philadelphia area? I realize probably a long-shot.

Any reputable mechanic, particularly ones with large enough volume of weekly business, should have no issue understanding and delivering a PPI. I usually search Google Maps with a zip or area to narrow down new go-to mechanics if I move or am in a different area. Barring a recommendation from a Philly goon of course. I also politely confirm price over the phone if they don't mention it. Typically for an average econobox vehicle, I would expect around ~1 hour labor.

Also, if you are opening up to the entire area and have the luxury of choosing a mechanic, a good option is a manufacturer-affiliated dealership, they can do PPIs. It will be more expensive but they do tend to find some things that are more specific to the make.

Essentially, a PPI is basically a "diagnostic" that any mechanic could charge someone for a random problem. Instead they find possible problems, and if they're very good, they can help tell you based on the offer price if it sucks or not.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 16, 2024