Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Okay there are two things about QCF motions in tekken:

1. If your move is a stance, you need to do the motion to get into the stance, and then press the button you want. See: Paul forward sway, King crouch dash, mishima crouch dash, etc. These cannot be buffered, so you must fully wait for recovery from a previous move before doing them.

2. If your move is an actual qcf / qcb motion that is not going into a stance, you should hold the final direction as you press the punch/kick button for consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Turning on the opponent's input window in the replays to see what buttons they mashed before you left the ground for the last time in a match can also be illuminating to learn what moves to look out for.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I took a break for a few days because I was feeling a little burned out and now I'm having anxiety about jumping back in. which is stupid, I need to just boot the game up pick kuma and go

the bears are so good in 8

e: I really wish kuma had better customization options though. at least give us the skeletonbear back

Revins fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the art of reviewing replays, this is how I've been going about it, if there are any other aspects worth considering it would be cool to hear!

When a move blows me up:

1. Is that move unsafe and I could have just blocked and punished?
2. If the move is safe, can I duck or sidestep it?
3. What was the situation before? Did they use that move as a follow-up after the same one consistently? Does that move come out more at the wall, in heat, at low health?
4. Why did I get hit? Did I lose in neutral? Did I guess wrong in a mix up situation, or press when I was disadvantaged?

These are all really good!

I'd add that I only turn on frame advantage and opponents inputs (and even that last one only sometimes). I want to only focus on the situation and what I can do about it, not get caught up in any other numbers. But I'm also easily distracted and if I see someone just mashing all the buttons I don't want to give myself any excuses.

Oh and it's also really handy for testing your own pressure! You can load up a time where your opponent pressed a button and beat your option even though you were slightly plus or whatever, and then try a different frametrap to see what works and what doesn't.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I need to practice breaking chain throws. a king landed a 6 or 7 chain throw on me and it hurt a lot. I lost that round but I think that was the only one in two matches tho. Going into hunting a lot is a pretty good counter to a king that really wants to land throws

still sitting through a long throw sequence mashing 1 and 2 to no avail is never fun

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

1. If your move is a stance, you need to do the motion to get into the stance, and then press the button you want. See: Paul forward sway, King crouch dash, mishima crouch dash, etc. These cannot be buffered, so you must fully wait for recovery from a previous move before doing them.

2. If your move is an actual qcf / qcb motion that is not going into a stance, you should hold the final direction as you press the punch/kick button for consistency.

This actually makes Reina's df3 to enter stance really helpful, because unlike the regular input it can be buffered for when you want the move to come out ASAP. It also seems like a bad habit to form so I try not to do it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The rule of Steve is - Any time you think it's your turn, it's not your turn.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think ironically it's probably harder to get your turn in the lower ranks, where people tend to just mash buttons a lot. A frame trap would be a good way to teach them, but it can be hard to get even those out if they're mashing.

Maybe some nice high crushing moves? If they're beating you to the punch it's got to be with a high attack. Or just grab them, nothing wrong with turning it into a wrestling match.
I'm playing Asuka at the moment, and I'm only in Green rank with a 50%ish win rate, so take this with a pinch of salt, but...
I've struggled to do much with Asuka's jab other than use it to frame trap into B3. I don't know if its slower than others jabs, but I definitely am using it way too often to take me turn and getting blitzed when I'm pushing, but blocking forever just lets people chip me down and mix me up into lows. I should probably try and learn a combo or something, because not being able to punish anyone with anything when I do read well isn't a winning strategy, have to get too many guesses in a row right to win a round (or hit the lucky rage art, which also happens a lot at green rank).

Basically, what has worked well for me is B1, DB3 and DB4, F4, and F1+2 for the high and medium crush. I should deffo use the counter stance and D3+4 more. If I land 1, then the frame-trap into B3 works more often that not, but I don't often land the 1 at a distance it can hit from without getting hit back first.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

After sleeping and cooling off a bit. I was playing and my dumb lizard brain finally realized I can duck. I am bad at following up after a knock down though. I struggle with hit confirms in SF6 also.

tekken id: 5emD-f7Me-HNh8

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 15, 2024

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Gonna start playing a couple friends this Saturday, neither of us have played since very early tekkens and we're jumping in relatively blind. Hoping this time I'll get past that initial hurdle and get to a level where I can play anytime and have some wins with my losses. I kinda bounced off street fighter 5 - was doing ok at launch, then took a break and after a couple weeks I came back and couldn't win a match.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For the second time, I've played against and totally crushed a TTV streamer in ranked. Both times, they plugged just before I could get in one final hit.

They really gotta do something about this :argh:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing Asuka at the moment, and I'm only in Green rank with a 50%ish win rate, so take this with a pinch of salt, but...
I've struggled to do much with Asuka's jab other than use it to frame trap into B3. I don't know if its slower than others jabs, but I definitely am using it way too often to take me turn and getting blitzed when I'm pushing, but blocking forever just lets people chip me down and mix me up into lows. I should probably try and learn a combo or something, because not being able to punish anyone with anything when I do read well isn't a winning strategy, have to get too many guesses in a row right to win a round (or hit the lucky rage art, which also happens a lot at green rank).

Basically, what has worked well for me is B1, DB3 and DB4, F4, and F1+2 for the high and medium crush. I should deffo use the counter stance and D3+4 more. If I land 1, then the frame-trap into B3 works more often that not, but I don't often land the 1 at a distance it can hit from without getting hit back first.

Asuka's jab is one of the rare jabs that is not + on block, it is actually -2. It's a very significant weakness of the character and very much limits her up close quick offense startup.

Edit: for frametraps with Asuka, try f4, into standing 4, or ff1 into b4. Those are a bit slower and require a bit more space to set up but they they are solid. Beginner friendly combos with Asuka are pretty easy, she can pickup from most situations with db4,3 then 2,1,2 for the T! and then your finisher: maybe ff2,1+2; or ff2,3 if near a wall tot pop them onto it. (This is T7 stuff, so there is probably better but it seems to work fine still).

Autsj fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2024

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was once again fighting Steve, trying to press db1 and eating b1, and I think this time I saw a sliver of d1 come out

Turns out if I am not paying attention, my directional inputs will be off because I'm sloppy as hell

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

After sleeping and cooling off a bit. I was playing and my dumb lizard brain finally realized I can duck. I am bad at following up after a knock down though. I struggle with hit confirms in SF6 also.

tekken id: 5emD-f7Me-HNh8

So I watched 3 of your matches, 2 vs the Xiaoyu that were most recent (unfortunately I happened to pick the losses), and one vs the Steve

I'm not the best Tekken player, but there's a couple of big glaring things that I think would really help:
  • You never seem to go low? only really as part of strings at least. You gotta use your low pokes to force your opponent to duck if you want to set up bigger punishes. They also allow you to get chip damage you need to close the round
  • Obviously you gotta block snake edges, but that just comes with time! As a general rule, if you see someone crouch down and start to spin I feel like most of the time that's a low launcher that you can block and launch punish, so worth looking for that. Especially when you've seen an opponent like that Xiaoyu, who went to it constantly. Free damage when you practice the punish!
  • I know it's a super easy habit to get, but don't rage art at the end of rounds near as much. You can close a round with it sometimes, but they're -15 on block so lots of opponents can absolutely kill you if they don't press a button
  • Just general practice stuff of course like getting your launch stuff down. But way more importantly than that: make sure you're challenging sometimes at the end of strings. Use your df1 as a nice mid poke to dissuade them from just ducking your jabs
  • Honestly use more mids in general. Most of the mids you were using (while I dunno much about Asuka) were big launcher attempts or homing kicks. Try to look for a few pokes you can setup with frametraps and stuff that are mid, just to stop your opponent from running their game forever on you

I really liked the patience though! You were willing to sit there with a life lead and make them come to you rather than running right at them and taking big risks.

I'm sure someone more experienced could give you wayy better advice, this is just the stuff I saw

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This video popped up on my feed and I gotta say even just the first five minutes or so made me understand Tekken far better than I did previously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEw98pnmtyo

Anytime BoxBox went "But wait, whuhhhhhh?????", that was me irl

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Also this video is from Tekken 7, but I like this guy's breakdown of Tekken fundamentals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_LAMfapdY

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Is there an easy way to tell which case is which? Like I expect all of Leo's qcf moves are case 1 but not sure how to confirm

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Urethane posted:

Is there an easy way to tell which case is which? Like I expect all of Leo's qcf moves are case 1 but not sure how to confirm

If you do the motion and they do a sway or step that would be the former scenario

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Weasling Weasel posted:

B1 is a knowledge check in my opinion. I'm almost in orange ranks and the following WR3 pretty much always hits.
DB3 is great for psychic damage.
I'm experimenting with 1,2,3 because it's 0-2 on block, but there's a huge delay between 2 and 3, you can be interrupted easily. I don't know what makes it 0 and what makes it -2.

I use a lot her DF2 because it's pretty safe.

My go-to combo when juggling with DF2 / F2 / WR 3 is FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2,1+2.
Sometimes I can't connect with the last FF2 and I don't yet know how or why.

Other moves I tend to use a lot are DF1 for mid checking, 1+4 for a low hitting string, SS2 and FF1+2 when I have the install.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I hate hell sweep. The worst part was I did crouch for the block 3 times but I was too far and so the mid tagged me at the end

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm actually loving psychic at tracking hell sweeps. I'll crouch at the right time and perfectly track the enemy rise up with me, letting go of db, effectively ending my low defense and getting launched into the stratosphere.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

So I watched 3 of your matches, 2 vs the Xiaoyu that were most recent (unfortunately I happened to pick the losses), and one vs the Steve

I'm not the best Tekken player, but there's a couple of big glaring things that I think would really help:
  • You never seem to go low? only really as part of strings at least. You gotta use your low pokes to force your opponent to duck if you want to set up bigger punishes. They also allow you to get chip damage you need to close the round
  • Obviously you gotta block snake edges, but that just comes with time! As a general rule, if you see someone crouch down and start to spin I feel like most of the time that's a low launcher that you can block and launch punish, so worth looking for that. Especially when you've seen an opponent like that Xiaoyu, who went to it constantly. Free damage when you practice the punish!
  • I know it's a super easy habit to get, but don't rage art at the end of rounds near as much. You can close a round with it sometimes, but they're -15 on block so lots of opponents can absolutely kill you if they don't press a button
  • Just general practice stuff of course like getting your launch stuff down. But way more importantly than that: make sure you're challenging sometimes at the end of strings. Use your df1 as a nice mid poke to dissuade them from just ducking your jabs
  • Honestly use more mids in general. Most of the mids you were using (while I dunno much about Asuka) were big launcher attempts or homing kicks. Try to look for a few pokes you can setup with frametraps and stuff that are mid, just to stop your opponent from running their game forever on you

I really liked the patience though! You were willing to sit there with a life lead and make them come to you rather than running right at them and taking big risks.

I'm sure someone more experienced could give you wayy better advice, this is just the stuff I saw

Thanks for taking a look! The Xiaoyu was from this morning, but I haven't had time to play due to work. Prior to that I was trying to play through being frustrated.

I am not sure what do when going low with Asuka? She does have a WS launcher but it has a pretty long wind up? I keep telling myself to stop using rage arts and heat unnecessarily, but I still mash sometimes.

I feel like I need to test the opponent with 1; uf2; df1,2. I know f4 is plus but its wind up is 17 (?) frames. I am trying to focus on learning which feels a bit rough while playing. Also I am the most impatient person ever...

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just poke the gently caress out of them with db3 as a start. Then mix in db1 and other poo poo as you get comfortable testing them with db3. It doesn't have to lead to a 70 damage combo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

inthesto posted:

Also this video is from Tekken 7, but I like this guy's breakdown of Tekken fundamentals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_LAMfapdY

Need a depiction of Tekken fundamentals in the style of the Sefirot. Keter is replaced with Kuma, obvs

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Audax posted:

Just poke the gently caress out of them with db3 as a start. Then mix in db1 and other poo poo as you get comfortable testing them with db3. It doesn't have to lead to a 70 damage combo.

Yeah this for sure, especially as players get better and better you'll get less super easy launches. All those low pokes will add up a ton over the course of a match

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’m muddling my way through and if it weren’t for low pokes and df1s and frame traps, I’d be dead as dead can be every loving time. I drilled some combos off launch, and combos are easy in this, but I’m so overloaded dealing with the gorilla offense that when I do launch I forget to do the combo I drilled. At least I can juggle.

Point is I still win, and win more than I did even three days ago so yeah, poke and annoy to your heart’s content. It’ll win you matches.

Also thanks for the hellsweep talk folks I am so frustrated at not blocking lows right now it is the biggest thing that I need to address. Like I’m gonna start low parrying rather than even trying to block them haha. I weirdly feel like I might have an easier time with that. But, eh, I gotta learn the while rising punishes eventually too so hmm.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Also thanks for the hellsweep talk folks I am so frustrated at not blocking lows right now it is the biggest thing that I need to address. Like I’m gonna start low parrying rather than even trying to block them haha. I weirdly feel like I might have an easier time with that. But, eh, I gotta learn the while rising punishes eventually too so hmm.

One thing to point out here is that hellsweep is kinda a 50/50. It starts up in 16f but does give a full punish if blocked

What you really gotta avoid is snake edges, as an example Bryan's df3. It's got something like 29f of start up and if you block it he's a whopping -26 so you can do literally anything. Lili, Bryan, Law and I think a couple others have them? I'm not sure if Xiaoyu's low combo starter really counts, but I'm pretty sure it's mega launch punishable as well

It honestly doesn't really matter that much, but just to make sure you're practicing versus the right thing! Though man, if you can block a hellsweep on reaction I gotta find out the secret lol

Edit: Yoshi has a similar move too come to think of it, I punished a yoshi the other day when he went for it too much

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 16, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

One thing to point out here is that hellsweep is kinda a 50/50. It starts up in 16f but does give a full punish if blocked

What you really gotta avoid is snake edges, as an example Bryan's df3. It's got something like 29f of start up and if you block it he's a whopping -26 so you can do literally anything. Lili, Bryan, Law and I think a couple others have them? I'm not sure if Xiaoyu's low combo starter really counts, but I'm pretty sure it's mega launch punishable as well

It honestly doesn't really matter that much, but just to make sure you're practicing versus the right thing! Though man, if you can block a hellsweep on reaction I gotta find out the secret lol

Oh no I’m just talking about any old fuckin low. I eat snake edges all the time. The worst was watching a Law get me with it over and over again and I just…..kept….eating it like an idiot lol.

My blind rear end can barely manage the telegraphed ones right now, is what I’m saying.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Oh no I’m just talking about any old fuckin low. I eat snake edges all the time. The worst was watching a Law get me with it over and over again and I just…..kept….eating it like an idiot lol.

My blind rear end can barely manage the telegraphed ones right now, is what I’m saying.

Oh yeah, totally fair! honestly when I was getting into T7 a long time ago punishing snake edges was one of the first move types I really drilled because I was just SO sick of eating them lol, so I feel the pain

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A lesson I was taught is that in a lot of cases you should just "eat the low." Most low pokes don't do that much damage and are minus on hit, so if they are spamming them then you should try to take the momentum back.

Snake edges are a major exception since they're reactable and launch you lol. Hellsweeps and knockdown lows are in the middle and can be managed with reads and movement

Edit: oh yeah one of the memes about tekken god Knee is that he never blocks low

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 16, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They're also INCREDIBLY satisfying to punish since you get to use your big WR launcher if you have one and do a super huge combo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Cruised into reds with Feng pretty quickly since I didn't touch ranked til quite recently and I've been playing a lot of quick match in general. Some observations- There's still a lot of not very solid players in reds. Each level still has a bit of a log jam going on with legacy players playing ranked at their own pace and really good players using secondary characters who start at very low ranks but a lot of reds and oranges I saw are coasting on knowledge checks and throwing out random launchers. I've been caught by some instant RAs and weird launchers because I forget all the wild poo poo newer/lower level players will do since at the end of t7 you wouldnt see reckless stuff like that as often. I think I could slide into purple with Feng without too much trouble but probably going to do a lot of quick match for the time being til eddy launches. One of the bad things about ranked, that I am also guilty of, is you want to win so bad that you stop trying the new stuff you want to use and stick to the rigid stuff you know works. Definitely not the best mindset for getting better. I've only really scratched the surface on feng. I'm gonna focus a lot on playing with his shifting clouds and kenpo step stances now in quick play because I only really use them in a few niche areas atm and I know Kenpo especially is quite good (the one where you step back into stance). Also thanks for that guy earlier for reminding me that 33(4) can go into backturned. At this level 50% of people eat the 4 and 45% crouch every time no matter how many times you hit them with the BT mixup.

e- there are def some decent players in red too though. On re-read I made it sound like thats not the case but there are, but there are people clearly coasting on super flowcharts and gimmicks. Like how are you going to let me hit you with the same setup 6 times in a row in a match where you get counter hit and still press a button.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 16, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
sidenote- Feng's suits always rule

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Weasling Weasel posted:

You really need a combo to make people respect you. Nothing calms them down quite like being juggled in the air for a little while. Don't worry about how much damage the combo does, pick the easiest combo possible to start. It's more about the psychic damage of being comboed than the actual damage, not that the damage doesn't matter but it sounds like your opponents need some psychic damage.

Now that I'm in purple ranks I've got to unlearn all the bad habits I picked up getting here. Like oh yeah, maybe I should mix up my followups sometimes and I should probably stop yoloing those last hits quite so often. I've also got to get better at side walking, people are literally walking circles around me. I used to side walk a bunch as Feng for the dodge+mixup, but I just can't convince myself to do it as Reina because it feels less rewarding.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love that Feng is just kind of an evil martial arts dude who hangs around, never really involved with the main story of any game he's just out there to punch some dudes and be angry.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoy that Feng's story is that he put Asuka's dad in the hospital for going too far in a duel like the most stereotypical martial arts movie villain, and then was defeated by Leroy because he didn't understand the power of heart

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Artelier posted:

This video popped up on my feed and I gotta say even just the first five minutes or so made me understand Tekken far better than I did previously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEw98pnmtyo

Anytime BoxBox went "But wait, whuhhhhhh?????", that was me irl

Not once have I thought to press back after a sidestep...

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

You really need a combo to make people respect you. Nothing calms them down quite like being juggled in the air for a little while. Don't worry about how much damage the combo does, pick the easiest combo possible to start. It's more about the psychic damage of being comboed than the actual damage, not that the damage doesn't matter but it sounds like your opponents need some psychic damage.

I've grabbed the two combos from the thread above (Launch into FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2 1+2 and DB4,3 2,1,2 dd2, 1+2) and I'm going to practice them and just throw a my ranked sessions today just to try and get them out regularly. Good thing about being at green rank is there's no loss penalty, so it feels like free practice.
Like wise, I'll trry the F4 4 and FF1 B4 frametraps on top of the 1 B3 to see if they feel any better and add a bit more variety to the kit. Looks like's a few goons in here who have picked Asuka as beginners so hopefully we can trade notes as we get better.
Only thing can stop me is my unyielding itch to want to try someone new all the time.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Weasling Weasel posted:

I've grabbed the two combos from the thread above (Launch into FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2 1+2 and DB4,3 2,1,2 dd2, 1+2) and I'm going to practice them and just throw a my ranked sessions today just to try and get them out regularly. Good thing about being at green rank is there's no loss penalty, so it feels like free practice.
Like wise, I'll trry the F4 4 and FF1 B4 frametraps on top of the 1 B3 to see if they feel any better and add a bit more variety to the kit. Looks like's a few goons in here who have picked Asuka as beginners so hopefully we can trade notes as we get better.
Only thing can stop me is my unyielding itch to want to try someone new all the time.

If you manage to consistently time the first juggle combo tell me how you're doing it, I can land the final FF2 like once in four attempts, it should be an easy combo therefore if I'm failing it means I'm doing something very wrong.

Anyway I'm liking Asuka as a training character because she forces me to stop trying to rushdown everything, ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there a Goon FG Discord? I feel sure there was...

I need to programme my brain to use WR3 as Jun, not WR4. I can't help myself, I keep pressing 4, and it gives up so much damage on duckable poo poo.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 16, 2024