Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BonoMan posted:

She is absolutely an A-lister, wth y'all talking about??

Oh yeah? Please remind me, which superhero did she portray and how much money did that movie make?

I genuinely can't remember if she was in any cape poo poo movies, would be kind of impressive if she circumvented them until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's a weird term that everybody seems to have their own definition for.

The overall point I think is indisputable though, which is that none of the lead actors in Avatar are people that anybody will remember 50 years from now. Nobody will be saying "I'm gonna show my kid some Sam Worthington movies that I grew up with".

Kinda funny given Sam Worthington was for a while seemingly Hollywood desperately trying to push a leading man despite have no real personality traits or appeal whatsoever, which at least worked for Jakesully, and by the time the sequel came out it's almost a throwback to cast him given iirc he ain't done poo poo since then.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given Sam Worthington was for a while seemingly Hollywood desperately trying to push a leading man despite have no real personality traits or appeal whatsoever, which at least worked for Jakesully, and by the time the sequel came out it's almost a throwback to cast him given iirc he ain't done poo poo since then.

He's been in Things, I'm sure of it. But it's all more appropriate to what he can do and what audiences might want from him. During this brief period where he was pushed hard, he might as well have been Taylor Lautner. Except Terminator Salvation, he kind of was one of the better parts of that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh yeah? Please remind me, which superhero did she portray and how much money did that movie make?

I genuinely can't remember if she was in any cape poo poo movies, would be kind of impressive if she circumvented them until now.

She was in those Divergent movies when YA novel adaptations were really big, but nothing based on a comic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Worthington's a decent actor... when he gets to use to natural accent. Or, at least, he's strong in Somersault and Love My Way, and they're both pre Hollywood.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

He's been in Things, I'm sure of it.

Pretty sure that was Joel Edgerton.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He was good in Under the Banner of Heaven. That’s all I can think of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

He was good in Under the Banner of Heaven. That’s all I can think of.

Oh yeah, that was a solid US production with him. I'd forgotten about that, and also the season of Manhunt he was in.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
From a couple of pages back, sorry...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

note i'm not saying anything about quality, I think Titanic is the better film of the two by far.

that said, it's an original property [...]

Calling 1997 Titanic an original property is a bit of a stretch. It was the third film about the Titanic called just "Titanic", and the idea of a romance set aboard the ship had already been done. Hell, most of the disaster movies of the 70s probably have romances too.

I find Jack and Rose's love story insufferable, but fortunately there's a version without it - it's called A Night to Remember, and it's a much better film.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I do think he is bad but the dude was one of the leads in a Terminator and the lead in Avatar. He's probably gonna be fine

Would take a lightning strike from God to whip that bag outta his hands

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
A friend of mine worked with Worthington and said he's dumber than a sack of rocks.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
orson welles said as much about laurence olivier

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's fine. People should probably stop expecting movie stars to be avatars (no pun intended) for their beliefs about, like, science and politics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Actors are talking props, we should expect no more from them, and insist that they be buried in unconsecrated ground

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

That's fine. People should probably stop expecting movie stars to be avatars (no pun intended) for their beliefs about, like, science and politics.

Right. That's pop stars' job. That's why we need Taylor Swift to endorse Joe Biden or else we get Civil War 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

I do think he is bad but the dude was one of the leads in a Terminator and the lead in Avatar. He's probably gonna be fine

Would take a lightning strike from God to whip that bag outta his hands

Oh yea for sure, Sam Worthington will be just fine and he's had a very solid career all things considered. Clash of the Titans was actually pretty successful, and it got a sequel. Now he's about to do multiple Avatar sequels. He's consistently worked for something like 20 years now, so his career is fine.

It's just not what they were clearly shooting for in those early days after the success of Avatar. He was trying to be like the next Russel Crowe, which didn't happen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

The definition of what a "movie star" is has changed a lot in the past 25 or 30 years too, so naturally then the idea of what people consider to be an A-lister shifts as well. Like, if we're going by how many movie stars can get a movie greenlit and make it a box office hit all on the strength of their name alone, you could almost argue that there are currently zero A-listers. Even the mighty Tom Cruise has become dependent on his nostalgic franchises.
I think that bankability is still a thing, but perhaps not nearly as much so for the biggest-budget, highest-grossing movies. Like, Cameron Crowe would not have gotten $50 million to make an embarrassing turd like Aloha if it didn't star Bradley Cooper.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't know exactly why but I feel deeply that Bryan Cranston is an genuinely stupid man but I think he's an amazing actor and feel only love for him and want him to act in more things

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know exactly why but I feel deeply that Bryan Cranston is an genuinely stupid man but I think he's an amazing actor and feel only love for him and want him to act in more things

Anthony Hopkins posted:

"People ask me questions about present situations in life, and I say, 'I don't know, I'm just an actor. I don't have any opinions. Actors are pretty stupid. My opinion is not worth anything. There's no controversy for me, so don't engage me in it, because I'm not going to participate.'"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a weird way to go through life

Not enviable

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think what he's saying is yea I have opinions like any other idiot out there, but if I give you my opinion in this interview/public setting, it's then going to be reported as if my opinion has some sort of weight to it when it really doesn't. And I don't want my opinions to be used that way because I don't think they have any more validity to them than any other random person on the street.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Basebf555 posted:

I think what he's saying is yea I have opinions like any other idiot out there, but if I give you my opinion in this interview/public setting, it's then going to be reported as if my opinion has some sort of weight to it when it really doesn't. And I don't want my opinions to be used that way because I don't think they have any more validity to them than any other random person on the street.

Yeah. And it goes back to the whole celebrity worship that happens in this country. There's an idolization of celebrities and from that, a belief that their views carry more weight than a "normal" person. Look at Swifties. If Taylor Swift came out and said "Hey everyone, I have come to believe that eating three pears a day is the key to health and beauty" every single grocery store would be sold out of pears before the day was out.

People are loving idiots. Celebrities are people. Celebrities are loving idiots.

People worship those they see as better off than themselves and assume that the person who is better off is in that position because they are smart and made the right decisions. It doesn't matter if the truth is nepotism, old money, or just that this person lucked into their position by random chance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's exactly the kind of thing celebrities should be doing. They should all be trainwrecks with terrible opinions about everything, to snap us out of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn it’s been ages since I ate a pear

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn it’s been ages since I ate a pear

We got these huge Asian pears at Costco last month, they were incredible. Juicy, perfectly crisp and honey sweet.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with Avatar is it just had a big sequel that everyone knows about. So that gives it a natural advantage in terms of awareness that Titanic doesn't have. The teenage girls who went crazy over Titanic are like 40 now and their kids probably don't give a poo poo about Titanic.

They re-release it every few years and it always does great (including last winter). Titanic is absolutely a movie people still watch, and those parents show it to their kids. I mean, come on, the loving Titan sub disaster last year.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/nation-world/titanic-movie-streams-my-heart-will-go-on-amazon-spotify-titan-submarine-20230623.html

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/james-cameron-dominates-box-office-titanic-re-release-avatar-2-1235520488/

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 16, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Titanic also only just came out on UHD recently and it looks loving incredible. Maybe a little over-sharpened, I guess, if you care about that poo poo? But it’s easily one of my demo discs these days

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Demoing what?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Saw this on twitter, and thought some of you might get a kick out of it

https://x.com/HariSel57511397/status/1758251273617375340?s=20

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
“Satire only works if they’re ugly” is an argument I hadn’t heard before

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pretty people can do no wrong, and if you side with the uggos, then you're a terrible person, clearly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that account is very clearly not just a dumbass but a reactionary arguing in bad faith, presumably because they're the target of Starship Troopers' satire and they know it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that account is very clearly not just a dumbass but a reactionary arguing in bad faith, presumably because they're the target of Starship Troopers' satire and they know it

Or because they’re a Twitter Premium subscriber and they know the engagement makes them money.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pirate Jet posted:

Or because they’re a Twitter Premium subscriber and they know the engagement makes them money.

hardly a contradiction

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"only a contrarian would argue that we shouldn't kill a sentient creature that is frightening by human standards" fuckin yeesh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've been on twitter too long to assume someone is arguing in bad faith when they might just be stupid. I'd say it's even odds for either

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

I've been on twitter too long to assume someone is arguing in bad faith when they might just be stupid. I'd say it's even odds for either

Could be both!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching She Devil. Movies from the 50s are wild. The patient is a young unmarried woman and the doctor is a man in a position of authority over so I guess he’s basically her dad? Or, like, owns her a little bit?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol it’s a plot point that the pineal gland has no known function. People in the past were so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

Watching She Devil. Movies from the 50s are wild. The patient is a young unmarried woman and the doctor is a man in a position of authority over so I guess he’s basically her dad? Or, like, owns her a little bit?

If you want to see an older movie that's actively commenting on that kind of stuff the original Cat People from the 40's is great.