Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For a horror fan just starting in on getting into physical, what does everyone consider essential 4K UHD horror movie blu-rays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Thing
Alien
Halloween
Every Evil Dead movie
Dawn of the Dead (original)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Shining

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

texas chainsaw massacre
the exorcist
cemetery man

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Suspiria (77)
The Blob (85?)
The Mist
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (78’ and 04’)
The Lighthouse
Poltergeist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 & 2
Return of the Living Dead
Tenebrae
God Told Me To
Malignant
Phenomena
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78’)
Halloween Ends
Doctor Sleep
Dead & Buried
The Birds
Psycho
The New York Ripper
House By The Cemetery
Prince of Darkness
Possessor
Possession
Gremlins
Hereditary
Maniac
The Invisible Man (2018)
Christine
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
The VVitch
Shaun of the Dead

I just scrolled through all of the Horror UHD releases id recommend on picture quality and overall quality.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/umbrellaent/status/1758269029029163205?s=46

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh god yes

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

dorium posted:

I bought the Muppets Take Manhattan for the express purpose of supporting any future Muppet movie releases in 4K even if its not my favorite muppet movie.

it had to be done :colbert:

I, for one respect you for your sacrifice as I wait for a 4K of the restored Muppet Christmas Carol to get a physical release. :patriot: (And getting the rest of the Muppet movies in 4K would be good, too.)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
88 Films releasing a 4K of American Pie.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Sigh. We're not getting a steelbook of the Aliens 4k, are we?

I blame Best Buy for this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1758192135637971282?s=46

Homeybeef posted:

Sigh. We're not getting a steelbook of the Aliens 4k, are we?

I blame Best Buy for this.
We’ll get a $50 one from Amazon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd say that The Shining is still the most impressive horror UHD out there, but I've also been very happy with all of the Shout Factory UHDs I've bought so far. Even if they aren't always going to melt your face off like a Kubrick film will, I appreciate that stuff like Alligator or Halloween 4 can look this good.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say that The Shining is still the most impressive horror UHD out there, but I've also been very happy with all of the Shout Factory UHDs I've bought so far. Even if they aren't always going to melt your face off like a Kubrick film will, I appreciate that stuff like Alligator or Halloween 4 can look this good.

My only criticism is that the Shining doesn’t feature the mono soundtrack option. At least Full Metal Jacket does.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Child’s Play 2 looks so good, it’s absolutely wild.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Return of the Living Dead's UHD blew me away. I know it's not necessary to be able to read what the posters in the background say of any given scene, but it's crazy that you could. And any scene involving fire especially looks gorgeous.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Horror from the practical effects era is the whole reason I started buying UHD. Jaws, Tremors and Bram Stokers Dracula are probably my most viewed 4k discs.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The review for the Criterion edition of The Heroic Trio didn’t paint either movie as particularly great on the PQ level. Maybe I’ll save my duckets and wait for a sale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

The review for the Criterion edition of The Heroic Trio didn’t paint either movie as particularly great on the PQ level. Maybe I’ll save my duckets and wait for a sale.

I assume a part of that is the lack of HDR. Always a bit of a bummer when a UHD doesn't have HDR but sometimes there's a good reason for it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I assume a part of that is the lack of HDR. Always a bit of a bummer when a UHD doesn't have HDR but sometimes there's a good reason for it.

I suppose it’s some of that and also apparently the regrading done on it really flattens the image and takes away from the very striking lighting choices made of heavy reds and blues into more of a 2024 presentation of evenly balanced colors. A shame. I got to see a 35mm print of it last year that was an original English run print from the 90’s and despite the age looked terrific.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1758550748399337705

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Splurged a bit yesterday. Got the Decline of Western Civilization boxset, Iron Monkey bluray, and The People Under the Stairs bluray.

May need that new Fletch release.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

dorium posted:

I suppose it’s some of that and also apparently the regrading done on it really flattens the image and takes away from the very striking lighting choices made of heavy reds and blues into more of a 2024 presentation of evenly balanced colors. A shame. I got to see a 35mm print of it last year that was an original English run print from the 90’s and despite the age looked terrific.

I haven't seen the new disc myself but I will say I have semi-frequently disagreed with that particular reviewer. My copy is supposed to come tomorrow but I don't have a discerning enough eye to feel like I could really review the PQ myself in any meaningful way. I'm not sure what source he is referencing to know what the "correct" grading is.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If it's the same copy as how it looks on streaming, it looked great on the Channel. Maybe if I saw comparison shots I'd be more critical but I'm strongly considering picking it up nonetheless.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I saw it in theaters last year with what I’m assuming was the remastered picture and thought it looked great

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Vinegar Syndrome finally got here. Despite shipping out v late, it got through internationally very quickly, which rules.

Gorgo looks awesome for what it is. I've just started eXistenZ but it's kicking off strong with the Pussystation Portable and tooth-gun murdering Doctor Who

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Watched The Shining today in 4K with surround sound and despite being one of if not my favorite movie ever it’s like watching it for the first time. Now I’ve ordered a load of horror movies in UHD suggested earlier in the thread. Gonna be an expensive hobby but it’s totally reinvigorated my love for movies and I wanna watch a least one a week now and start returning to the theater

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Watched The Shining today in 4K with surround sound and despite being one of if not my favorite movie ever it’s like watching it for the first time. Now I’ve ordered a load of horror movies in UHD suggested earlier in the thread. Gonna be an expensive hobby but it’s totally reinvigorated my love for movies and I wanna watch a least one a week now and start returning to the theater

Kubrick films have fortunately been treated very well on the format. Check out 2001 if you haven't already, it's stunning.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Big Bizness posted:

Kubrick films have fortunately been treated very well on the format. Check out 2001 if you haven't already, it's stunning.

The sound track in 5.1 is amazing, especially as Jack starts chopping down the door. The insanity of the strings swirling around you showing he’s completely lost his mind is near overwhelming and put me on edge even though I’ve seen the film a thousand times

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Big Bizness posted:

Where is my 4k Barry Lyndon :mad:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Sirotan posted:

Where is my 4k Barry Lyndon :mad:

At least Barry has that relatively recent and nice transfer courtesy of Criterion. Eyes Wide Shut's last HD release was in 2007 and looks marginally better then a DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99% sure we're getting Eyes Wide Shut from either Warner directly or Criterion before the end of the year for the 25th anniversary. Also good chance Barry Lyndon gets a 4K upgrade by the end of the year or next for its 50th. Lolita would be the only one left and I'd expect that to be a Criterion license from Warner.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Went to an Antiques store today and found a sealed copy of There Will Be Blood on Blu-Ray for $5. Easy purchase.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Barry Lyndon blu-ray looks awesome, for the record

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got my Heroic Trio set in the mail today and watched the first movie-- I'm a layman but I thought it looked great. I didn't think the color grading was obnoxiously different than what I remembered, but I am admittedly comparing it to my somewhat distant memory of the Tai Seng and Miramax DVDs.

It's wild to me that this of all things got a Criterion release, I know there's precedent for Johnnie To but my original exposure to this was seeing it on TNT Monstervision and thinking it was the most bizarre movie I had seen at that point, and it was pretty much my entree into martial arts cinema. I'm thrilled to see stuff like this get a decent release though.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

dorium posted:

Went to an Antiques store today and found a sealed copy of There Will Be Blood on Blu-Ray for $5. Easy purchase.

I'm just patiently awaiting that rumored 4K release that never came. :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Egbert Souse posted:

Really cool how Bob Iger turned out to be full of poo poo when he expressed interest in licensing and physical media.

What he meant is shutting down their in-house distributors and use third parties to print them. All Fox and Disney physical media in Italy is no longer done by them but by Eagle pictures (which isn't the worst local to be honest but not the best either) for instance.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheOneVader posted:

I'm just patiently awaiting that rumored 4K [There Will Be Blood] release that never came. :colbert:

Hell, just a remastered BD. The old one is rough..

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

What he meant is shutting down their in-house distributors and use third parties to print them. All Fox and Disney physical media in Italy is no longer done by them but by Eagle pictures (which isn't the worst local to be honest but not the best either) for instance.

Dies Disney or Fox releases even come out on UHD? I thought they only do basic blu-ray still?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Dies Disney or Fox releases even come out on UHD? I thought they only do basic blu-ray still?

For some weird reason of all recent disney output, only elemental do not have a UHD physical release here. Everything from Fox beside the creator has a UHD.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Steen71 posted:

Hell, just a remastered BD. The old one is rough..

It's rumored that PTA dislikes 4k as a format and if that's true then he is probably perfectly happy with the current one :(