Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I finally allowed myself to shuffle my tarot deck in a manner that allows for reversed cards (for the first time since I got them like three years ago) and the spread I did for myself just now was all reversed and it's extremely challenging and indicative of a bunch of things I've been feeling lately.

why this poo poo gotta be so Real, immediately after I wrote in my journal "ok I'm doing this even though it is making me feel anxious because I want to allow myself to be emotionally messy"

I'm like well drat you got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

please don't troll the multidenominational witchcraft thread

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

but if all the cards in your reading are reversed, what if the thing that's really in reversal... is you

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

whoa

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am being flip of course but also is there a perspective from which you can look at the unified message of the card reading as more positive or encouraging for you? Is that perspective one that can be interpreted as specific changes in your life and if so are those changes you think it would be healthful to make? If so, consider.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

when i draw too many reverse cards i simply rotate the table 180 degrees, the fates hate this one weird trick

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: I know I know. But imagine it as a conversation with another human person. Sometimes if enough things seem to be going wrong all over the place, and you're talking to someone about it, they'll suggest making a change a little more fundamental than you were expecting in order to help that uh, change.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jan 29, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its true that random number generators dont present any problems more significant than rolling them again, or perhaps looking at the results differently.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lmao: I know I know. But imagine it as a conversation with another human person. Sometimes if enough things seem to be going wrong in one particular place, and you're talking to someone about it, they'll suggest making a change in one particular place will make all that uh, change.

i talk a lotta poo poo but my last tarot reading was accurate enough to give me pause, i dont know how this stuff works but we apparently live in a much weirder world than i thought

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blatman posted:

i talk a lotta poo poo but my last tarot reading was accurate enough to give me pause, i dont know how this stuff works but we apparently live in a much weirder world than i thought

no you're just gullible

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i choose to believe this post at face value

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ohtori Akio posted:

its true that random number generators dont present any problems more significant than rolling them again, or perhaps looking at the results differently.

Looking at results differently together is what the multidenominational do best

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
While that's true, that fails to consider is that the mind is inherently capable of a great deal of non-conceptual understanding given appropriate stimuli. The most important parts of a human being are very simple, and a lot of hard to understand things are staring us in the face. Something like divination when used appropriately can bypass a lot of unhelpful cognitive processes, to get at say an emotional truth, or a different angle on a problem.

So Imo when someone says that a tarot reading was eerily accurate they may sometimes be describing a genuine experience, just not caused by something outside of the mind.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I read the horoscope in the paper when I was 11, and it said I would meet an old friend that day. later that day, i indeed met a friend i'd had from summer day camp the year before. i think that's a mystical experience.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
mystical experiences come from prayer to God, of course.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/sporadicalia/status/1744328103839584604
https://twitter.com/DilettanteryPod/status/1744479793226322425

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

fact: the emperor killed horus with a game of tarot cards

cards op plz nerf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure that's the finale of Yu-Gi-Oh where Kaiba builds a space elevator to reach the Egyptian afterlife and demand to play a children's card game one last time

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the finale of Yu-Gi-Oh where Kaiba builds a space elevator to reach the Egyptian afterlife and demand to play a children's card game one last time

literally the exact same finale as the horus heresy, it just took 20 years and hundreds of novels to get there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hamas ftw posted:

literally the exact same finale as the horus heresy, it just took 20 years and hundreds of novels to get there

y'know that explains a lot

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
correction: the emperor killed horus with a psychic card game on the astral plane in the middle of a sword fight in our universe, thus making the tau take a distant second place in the most japanese things in warhammer competition

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

correction: the emperor killed horus with a psychic card game on the astral plane in the middle of a sword fight in our universe, thus making the tau take a distant second place in the most japanese things in warhammer competition

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2024/01/31/mike-johnson-appears-hate-group-summit-pastor-who-suggests-demons-responsible-lgbtq-pride

quote:

MIKE JOHNSON APPEARS AT HATE GROUP SUMMIT WITH PASTOR WHO SUGGESTS DEMONS RESPONSIBLE FOR LGBTQ+ PRIDE

U.S. House Speaker Mike Johnson appeared Wednesday with pastor Jonathan Cahn – whose sermon highlighted three ancient deities which Cahn equated to demonic spirits that have now “come to America” – at the anti-LGBTQ+ hate group Family Research Council’s National Gathering for Prayer and Repentance.

At the FRC event, Cahn suggested abortion and LGBTQ+ health care, are particularly representative of these demonic activities, describing contemporary progressive and secular activism in the U.S. as a form of demonic “repossession.” Cahn claimed three ancient deities named Ba’al, Ishtar and Moloch compose “a dark trinity” of spirits currently operating in the U.S. to drive God from public life, seduce the culture through “sexual revolution” and drive parents to “sacrifice their children.”

Cahn claimed the activities of Ishtar in particular are represented by abortion, gender-affirming care and LGBTQ+ pride month. “She was connected with” the rainbow, Cahn said, and she was “the goddess of parades, parades that celebrated the alteration of gender.” He also said she would “possess the culture” in “one month of all months: the month of June.”

FRC provided copies of Cahn’s latest book to attendees.

Members of the anti-LGBTQ+ movement, including media figures, activists and politicians, often demonize members of the LGBTQ+ community. Cahn speaks literally about demonic spirits operating in the United States. He claimed that Ishtar, an ancient Sumerian goddess whom some ultra-conservative Christians view as a demon, has returned to earth to seek vengeance on Christians, the CBC reported.

Cahn believes Ishtar and other pagan deities were able to return to the earth because the 1969 Stonewall riots – which birthed the modern LGBTQ+ movement – opened a portal to another realm, the CBC said.

Speaker Johnson followed Cahn on the FRC stage. Johnson’s remarks emphasized “cultural upheaval” in the United States. Before voters elected Johnson to Congress, he was a litigator and spokesperson for the anti-LGBTQ+ hate group Alliance Defending Freedom.

At least 16 members of Congress joined Johnson at the event. Some of the 16 Congress members prayed either against feminism and homosexuality, abortion rights or “alternate lifestyles,” a derogatory phrase typically used to refer to LGBTQ+ people.

Now I understand you might be reluctant to worship Ishtar or Moloch or Ba'al for real. I get it, believing in something is a trust fall with your heart. It can be scary and it's not always worth it. But what if I told you worshipping Ishtar, or maybe even just saying online that you worship Ishtar, might also start giving conservative politicians nightmares

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

*every deity from every tablet, cylinder seal, and book reality comes in for a HUGE party* :bahgawd:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

whom would each god main on smash ultimate

i know in my bones that apollo picks the dragon quest hero every time

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

*every deity from every tablet, cylinder seal, and book reality comes in for a HUGE party* :bahgawd:

I'm glad you included "book realities" because otherwise including Moloch would make that Cahn guy seem preeeetty foolish, worrying about the return of a God who exists only within a handful of academically contested Old Testament translations

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ishtar otoh :hmmyes:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Squizzle posted:

whom would each god main on smash ultimate

i know in my bones that apollo picks the dragon quest hero every time

feeling like mercury is extremely good with bowser

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Pretty sure this is what summoned Ishtar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sherbert Hoover posted:

feeling like mercury is extremely good with bowser

vanth was like, girl with a giant key, h*ck yeah!! and mains sora

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

specifically

this costume

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Squizzle posted:

specifically

this costume

i dont know who this is but it looks like cloud and goofy got merged in a transporter accident

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

blatman posted:

i dont know who this is but it looks like cloud and goofy got merged in a transporter accident

yep that's kingdom hearts alright

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You know what, end of the day, whatever did it, I'm being told Ishtar's here and that it seems like great news for trans healthcare, queer pride, the right to choose, and parades. Hail Ishtar, welcome back, this is part of consensus reality now and there's no takebacks damnit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

it is wednesday, my druids

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

still wednesday as far as i know

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
we are all woden on this blessed day

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
great news for this thread

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1758203022943871160?t=NR7XdfwcYfFvHdhDCpWfpQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
would expect a country with this flag to be a little more chill