Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When does Master Chief fire the reverse pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'll find the show more believable when I see him backpack reload.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

RBA Starblade posted:

It's Halo, she just respawned ten seconds later

Depends on what skulls they have equipped.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

First two episodes of season 2 look promising. I'm a bit of a rube in that I was able to look past a lot of the warts from season one and find enough of it compelling. Honestly I was surprised season 2 got greenlit given how down the reception for season 1 was.

Things I liked: The show is still anti-fascist, though jury's out as to if it's as anti-war as season 1.

CGI got a bump out of the basement tier that season 1 had. The cold open action sequence was snappy, fast, and brutal while still letting you appreciate the choreography that went into it. I hope to not get anything like that s1 finale sequence's Xbox graphics again. Also, I haven't noticed any obvious "static wide shots of people standing and talking against rear projection" which season one was plagued with.

I'm not expecting this show to ever get near The Expanse in terms of quality. But hey, for a pulpy milSciFi with imitation expanse sprinkles it's still got my attention. Kate Kennedy and Pablo Schreiber are definitely fun to watch, at least.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Season 2 was greenlit before Season 1 even started airing. It's the new thing they do now with their tentpole streaming shows. I think the idea is to build up hype. "Oh this show must be a really big deal, it's such a success it's got a second season already, I think I'll watch it after all!"

Despite getting an automatic season 2, these types of shows seem just as likely to be cancelled without a S3 as anything else.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Back in the day that was just the first season and all 17-23 episodes would run in a row, with an occasional split winter break

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Professor Beetus posted:

Back in the day that was just the first season and all 17-23 episodes would run in a row, with an occasional split winter break

I prefer today's format since there was way too many filler episodes of stuffs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was a fan of filler episodes. It let them do crazy stuff.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

counterfeitsaint posted:

Season 2 was greenlit before Season 1 even started airing. It's the new thing they do now with their tentpole streaming shows. I think the idea is to build up hype. "Oh this show must be a really big deal, it's such a success it's got a second season already, I think I'll watch it after all!"

Despite getting an automatic season 2, these types of shows seem just as likely to be cancelled without a S3 as anything else.

Rings of Power got 5 seasons off the bat l o l

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The filler episodes are what let shows breath and build your characters up. Trying to picture something like DS9 condensed to 9 episodes each season, you'd miss out on so many character moments, so many things that made them rounded people and not a stereotype moving the plot along that you have to get through. I miss a lot of filler episodes for episodic shows. A 22 episode season of Trek SNW, or the orville or whatever kind of thing, is really missed.

I know its not feasible in the modern day to do huge seasons, and something like Halo should be more mini-series like, to get to the point and tell the story, not have "on this weeks HALO... 'John, we got a problem! Its the admiral's birthday and we gotta try to throw him a suprise party!" (which frankly makes season 1 all the more baffling).

I think a big problem with modern prestige TV is when, ok you've got 8 episodes or whatever for your big story, but then they write it with rambling episodes that don't move the plot along or do anything as if it was a 24 episode show. Season 1 of Halo suffered from that badly.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm glad this show got a second season. It's certainly no masterpiece, but it's interesting enough and is doing some fun things with the concept.

I feel like it has a lot going against it, what with story concepts that really don't translate all that well to a tv show, a pretty loud toxic fanbase who hate anything different and the legacy of the 20 years of development hell that Halo movie went through.

Curious to see how this season goes and if they're able to shake the negative reputation that the first one has.

Regardless of how well it's received, I expect a Season 3 is probably unlikely, what with Paramount imploding.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tom Guycot posted:

I think a big problem with modern prestige TV is when, ok you've got 8 episodes or whatever for your big story, but then they write it with rambling episodes that don't move the plot along or do anything as if it was a 24 episode show. Season 1 of Halo suffered from that badly.

I think a lot of this is born out of production realities. You can only afford so many high quality sets/actors/costumes/CGI assets per season, so you have to meander about in/with those you can afford.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't the girl just a hologram of some limited AI? I really hope we're not going down the clone pipeline because that tends to get tiring real fast and the way Halo handles AI:s is basically clones anyway.

Halsey specifically calls her a clone.

Also, why would a hologram have a blood nose?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Flash clones only last a short time after waking up, a matter of hours. We saw Halsey use one as a decoy to get away last season, and we were told that all the spartan kids were replaced with flash clones as well. Nu-Halsey keeps sending in flash clone copies of the same girl to "attend" to Halsey, who keeps trying to interrogate them asap before they fall over dead. She's not actively trying to hurt or kill the clones, she knows they just have minutes left to live by the time they get to her.

I'd guessing its some kind of psy-op, it must be annoying to have to start the questioning process over at the beginning each time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they girl was someone Hasley knows/knew for extra hosed-up-ness, that seems like the kind of thing ONI would do.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Saw a teaser for tonight - lol Chief was wrong, no Covenant on Reach

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

Ugghhh better not be this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But in the last episode, we saw them attack Sword Base. As far as I know, that's on reach.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If only Chief had a trusting, functional relationship with some kind of AI system who could see everything he sees. Wouldn't that make everything simpler.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
drat, they aren’t wasting any time with the Fall of Reach, huh?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Goddamn, first scene's so loving dark.

edit: still can't bring myself to give a poo poo about Kwan Ha and Soren's wife and child. After all the mystical bullshit and Burn Gorman bullyman from season 1, then the planet being glassed and all of that not meaning a goddamn thing, they could have had Kwan die in the Covenant attack and all it would have changed would have been more time watching the entertaining part of the show.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 15, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do wonder if somebody insisted that they need "a human element" which did not include all the, y'know, humans in the military.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I do wonder if somebody insisted that they need "a human element" which did not include all the, y'know, humans in the military.

I understand the motivation to show characters who exist outside the UNSC, but Kwan's character is wrapped up in some four-quadrant marketing nonsense that doesn't help things. The actress sells her fights really well this season, and I'm assuming based on the knife tapping that she's connecting to whatever is going on with that noise or impulse or whatever that seems buried in the Covenant signal.

Jessica Hyde, on the other hand, I don't get. Great actress, but the character doesn't seem to have any strengths. She can't fight, she can't negotiate, she lies for absolute poo poo. She's got some resilience, but she also spent her entire arc this season steadily failing to succeed at everything she attempted. She and Soren's relationship seems mostly like a narrative conceit to pull Kwan into Halsey's orbit. Which could pay off pretty well, given Halsey's scientific predilections.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

If you involve the military that much you start having to deal with things like, "If the military thinks Master Chief is such an absolute war beast death machine Who Gets The Job Done, how come everybody display like zilch loyalty to him? You telling me he hasn't got some favours and poo poo built up? Bullshit!"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Every single person in this show is so completely incompetent and disregarding of the existential threat that I am fairly sure we are meant to be rooting for the Covenant

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oh yeah, anybody know the reason who so many British and Irish people are in this show?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monica Bellucci posted:

Oh yeah, anybody know the reason who so many British and Irish people are in this show?

Because they weren't able to cast transdimensional being Chips Dubbo as the resident Space Australian

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

Reach is a colony

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ratjaculation posted:

Reach is a colony

Technically Reach was colonized by Hungarians

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So I guess Ackerson hates Halsey because she kidnapped his sister?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

So I guess Ackerson hates Halsey because she kidnapped his sister?

Kidnapped, traumatised him and his family with a flash clone replacement and them experimented on the original sister unto death.

I suspect he resents the entire ONI endeavor given that he clearly knew about this for years and would have been... discouraged from telling his family.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thom12255 posted:

It's going to be a fakeout as the 4th episode is named Reach. if you recall the game Halo: Reach was not an exploration of how Reach is covenant free and a great place to live

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Kwan is a much better character than in the first season. Less talk, more assassinating.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
riz is making real friends and I'm happy for her.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

boo boo bear posted:

riz is making real friends and I'm happy for her.

I sure hope it goes well for her and they have a long, fulfilling friendship that lasts many years to come!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This episode.... was good?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've been out of the loop about this show until starting it last night. I assume we'll be seeing Spartan-IIIs later this season? Hope they go into how hosed up they are due to their origins.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 16, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SpartanIvy posted:

This episode.... was good?

Last minute of the episode had me all :sickos: legit stoked for next week!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
“I know what I saw!” Chief is infinitely more compelling than video game Chief.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Gravemind holding up two Chiefs: Game Chief and Show Chief.

"This one is machine and nerve and has its mind concluded."

"This one is but flesh and cheeks and is the more deluded."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

video game Chief was initially envisioned as the faceless cypher for the player so yeah

this season is more interesting and less WTF but we're only on episode 3. Lol that they humanized Ackerson