Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Does this mean we can't have Pearly King Patrick Stewart?

Oh Jesus, again with the Klingons, um, sorry for the bum wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I liked how he showed up as the leader of a neo-nazi gang in Portland in green room for some reason. With his Picard voice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Discovery returns April 4th

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1757812600790802725

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Huh. I thought Tilly left the main cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe they’ve put the Academy show on the back burner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The closest we ever got to Cockney Picard was his role in Masterminds.

"UNITED! UNITED!"

https://youtu.be/Cegk6G94FC8?si=3bbOumpkQGnT3r0X

Thank you for this, I was gonna dig it out if someone hadn't already done it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

drat, I was looking forward to eventually seeing "Killy Academy", the Mirror-Universe companion series of the academy spin-off of the third season of the beloved cancelled seventh Star Trek series, "Discovery"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys should do like me and not watch yet another season of the terrible show you hate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

You guys should do like me and not watch yet another season of the terrible show you hate.

:yeah:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

what and do something productive or enriching??

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So how about those detached nacelles, eh?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Kind of a waste of that re-watch during the run-up, then!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zoux posted:

I am a slave to canon. If I don't watch the show how will I twist myself into knots figuring out how all the dumb new stuff could make sense in light of all the dumb old stuff?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s me, I don’t hate Discovery. I like it, I’m just constantly disappointed by it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s me, I don’t hate Discovery. I like it, I’m just constantly disappointed by it.

:agreed:

Each season has been a marginal improvement on the last, maybe this one will finally be lower-case good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I meanwhile will be doing what I've done for the last five years every time Discovery airs: not watching it and shitposting in this thread about other things until an actual good Star Trek show emerges once it's finished.

Wake me when Lower Decks, Strange New World or Prodigy are back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discovery is fun to watch even when it's still bad. They at least have a very slow upward trajectory.

Plus it's "season 5" in dog years but they're really just a ways into season 3 in real seasons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

:yeah:

I stopped watching the last season because honestly I just couldn't be bothered.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The_Doctor posted:

Two pages back there's an interview with Tawny Newsome where she says she's writing for it...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eej posted:

Two pages back there's an interview with Tawny Newsome where she says she's writing for it...

Written for it, it seems. She mentioned she finished her script and I think mentioned she wasn't really sure where the production was after that (although I could be misremembering that last part.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zoux posted:

It's way too much fun finding everything wrong with it. :sigh:
But more seriously, I know I've posted many a positive thing about episodes of the show. I may hate it, it may disappoint me, but there is good here and there and I've sunk enough cost to simply ride the fallacy into the sunset.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat, I really liked the last two seasons of Discovery. And this is after I dropped it for a couple of years because season two was possibly the worst season of television I've ever sat through in my life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Tilly is in a few episodes but not every episode, however she's in enough to be featured in promotional materials because she's a fan favorite

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Bad TV can be more fun to watch than mediocre TV. I don’t care for Lower Decks. I still watch it, but it’s very mediocre overall. A couple episodes have been decent, and I think one episode I’ve found pretty good.

Versus Discovery that’s terrible every episode and constantly makes me laugh by how bad it is.

When Book and Genius-man sneak onto Discovery into a hallway where the lights are freaking out like the TNG warp core is so inept it’s wonderful.

Not that I’d ever watch one, but if you think of it like a NASCAR race, Lower Decks to me is just a bunch of people driving in a circle not doing anything particularly great, just going, but not crashing. Discovery has half the drivers going around the track backwards. I can’t turn away.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Super Deuce posted:

Bad TV can be more fun to watch than mediocre TV. I don’t care for Lower Decks. I still watch it, but it’s very mediocre overall. A couple episodes have been decent, and I think one episode I’ve found pretty good.

Versus Discovery that’s terrible every episode and constantly makes me laugh by how bad it is.
Discovery as the CSI: Miami of the franchise might have made me warm up to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

When Book and Genius-man sneak onto Discovery into a hallway where the lights are freaking out like the TNG warp core is so inept it’s wonderful.

Not that I’d ever watch one, but if you think of it like a NASCAR race, Lower Decks to me is just a bunch of people driving in a circle not doing anything particularly great, just going, but not crashing. Discovery has half the drivers going around the track backwards. I can’t turn away.

Target this poster and fire

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Written for it, it seems. She mentioned she finished her script and I think mentioned she wasn't really sure where the production was after that (although I could be misremembering that last part.
Sounds like actively writing, but doesn't know about the schedule beyond that.

quote:

Let’s switch shows, are you still at work writing Starfleet Academy?

I am indeed. I am very writing for Academy. My brain is smoking right now writing for Academy. We’re in the throes of it, yeah.

That was originally planned to shoot early this year. Is that still possible after the strikes?

I don’t understand how that works. I know when my episode was due. I pay attention to my deadlines. I don’t know anything about production timelines. That all is new to me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

___________________________________________________________/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's fine, as long as they don't insist it's some kind of objective fact about Lower Decks like some do.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

That's fine, as long as they don't insist it's some kind of objective fact about Lower Decks like some do.

The person saying that was Super Deuce previously

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
That guy that called Mariner the worst character in all of fiction was my favourite.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think I went that far that but I will stand by S1 Mariner being awful and the changes since then aren't 'character development' but the show finding its feet and moving away from what it thought it wanted to be back then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I don't think I went that far that but I will stand by S1 Mariner being awful and the changes since then aren't 'character development' but the show finding its feet and moving away from what it thought it wanted to be back then.

Disagree, because all of the recent Mariner stuff was pretty clearly seeded heavily from the start. But I do think they have tuned presentation as they found themselves.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 16, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember watching the first few LDSes and being like "god this is terrible" but I saw so many people, everywhere, hype it up that I went back to give it another shot and for the most part I couldn't even tell what it was I didn't like (the power of expectations perhaps) BUT I will say that Mariner is extremely annoying in the pilot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't hate Disco. I don't like it very much, but it's pretty to look at and sometimes they do an okay episode. Last season had three?four? good episodes and then a bunch of boring mess between them, I'm assuming season 5 will be similar. But with how much Disco changes year to year who the gently caress knows, maybe it'll be good this time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The first episode is legit bad, so I don't count it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Disagree, because all of the recent Mariner stuff was pretty clearly seeded heavily from the start. But I do think they have tuned presentation as they found themselves.

I don't think Mariner being a hyperactive Memory Alpha nerd constantly making fourth wall jokes about the series was because of her trauma

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The character hasn't actually grown, they've done the comedy show thing of pretending to have growth while secretly resetting everything after the episode ends because the core character traits and the resulting cast dynamics are where all the comedy comes from. And that's not really a bad thing, it's why every comedy show does this!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I always say that the pilot episode is how they got the suits to agree to the show before quickly pivoting from "what if family guy was star trek" to "TNG in 25 minutes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeOkuda/status/1758205719755833556

And only four years since Picard season 1 undercut the entire point of it