Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

That loving Sned posted:

Haven’t seen the films but 10 year old me would have loved to see a movie based on SA2. I might have to watch them to see if it lives up to how I imagined it would be like.

Also, when characters in Puyo Puyo Tetris “fight”, how exactly are they doing it? In the Sonic Mania boss fight, it looks like you and Eggman are sitting in a machine and moving the pieces with an arcade stick.

Puyo Puyo is a spin-off of a fantasy RPG so my assumption has always been that the game matches are abstractions of wizard duels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoctorWhat posted:

Puyo Puyo is a spin-off of a fantasy RPG so my assumption has always been that the game matches are abstractions of wizard duels.

yeah when you chain with arle she's casting fire, ice storm, etc

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Although I enjoy Puyo Puyo more than Tetris, I absolutely loved Meteos on the DS. It was great fun firing rockets into the enemy planets, especially chaining multiple ignitions to get an entire screen full of blocks to escape velocity. It’s way more tangible and less abstract than games like Tetris, although that shouldn’t affect the quality of the game or how much you enjoy it.

I know it doesn’t matter at all, but every fight in the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode feels like those Kingdom Hearts cutscene compilations. They include the cutscenes before and after the battle, but not the fight itself. It looks like the characters suddenly became exhausted just from the idea that they’d have to fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I know it doesn’t matter at all, but every fight in the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode feels like those Kingdom Hearts cutscene compilations. They include the cutscenes before and after the battle, but not the fight itself. It looks like the characters suddenly became exhausted just from the idea that they’d have to fight.
the fight is the puzzle game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of the RPGs puyo puyo spun off from (and radically overtook) is that satan is like, the fakeout final boss that helps you beat the real villain, so when he does so you get everyone going 'thanks, satan,' 'you arent such a bad guy, satan'

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are there any comic villains Knuckles encounters that could be the miniseries baddie?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

the best part of the RPGs puyo puyo spun off from (and radically overtook) is that satan is like, the fakeout final boss that helps you beat the real villain, so when he does so you get everyone going 'thanks, satan,' 'you arent such a bad guy, satan'

and of course to bring it all back together

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://note.com/beep21/n/n98e2ac3214bd

Part 2 of an interview about Sonic 2 was released. The Sonic Retro forums got the full text:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...87#post-1064822 (People posting their google translated stuff starts here)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Larryb posted:

The live action movies are surprisingly decent honestly (and I was ready to write off the first one the second we got the first summary), you should watch them

The first one was fun enough but also a pretty generic buddy road trip movie, you could've swapped Sonic & Eggman out for any other protagonist/villain combo and like 80% of the plot could remain untouched

The second movie, however, was much more like what I'd imagine a Sonic movie would be like

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Are there any comic villains Knuckles encounters that could be the miniseries baddie?

Unless they dip into the UK stuff, most of Knuckles' solo enemies have the Penders stank, so it's probably going to be an original character.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Relyssa posted:

please do an effort post on how not to suck at puyo

genuinely asking, because i cannot comprehend how to do well at that game

Stairs

Start by learning stairs. The board starts with a flat floor so it's always easy to slap stairs together and set them off quickly. You generally build the chain first and the trigger last. Trigger here is reds on the right.

If you get really good at belting out one layer of stairs you can make it through enough of the story modes.
If you're good or lucky, your stairs have a flat-ish ceiling. This makes it possible to snake it around on a second layer of stairs going the other direction. This is easy to gently caress up though. Stairs are also prone to getting your entire plan ruined by garbage puyo in just the wrong spot.

GTR

Learn this shape, really just of the yellows and reds. Practice it a little. The blues in this example could be any color other than red, and the only one that's actually important is the bottom one holding up the red.
The yellows are the trigger. On top of the yellows build anything else, say a column or row of three purple, with one yellow on top of that.
The benefits of this setup are not immediately apparent. You can build whatever you want to the right like stairs or just a whole bunch of groups of three. You're starting with the trigger in place first and then building the chain after it. Or you can build a trigger to your trigger. One stray garbage puyo is less likely to throw a wrench in your plans. In the example with three purples stacked on top of the yellow you're much safer from garbage than other setups.
GTR is deceptively easy to set up and execute. Something about the RNG makes it almost always possible to set up quickly. There are other ways to stack puyo, but these reasons make it usually the optimal play.

Pretend I cropped the top part of this so it's just the GTR stuff.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 9, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thank you! This is a big help.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/froaklies/status/1755709643391717411

Comments posted:

I hope there's a combo blu-ray release called Sonic 3 & Knuckles

...god dammit

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am not a Puyo expert, but I think it’s easy to set up GTR once the series moved from five colors to four, which is why the Mania boss was more difficult since it was based off the OG puyo (which is what Mean Bean Machine used for rules)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1756872652268900426

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The (original) Mario movie came out out in 1993, so I have to assume that put the brakes on a Sonic film.

Wild to imagine a movie trilogy that early in the franchise. Like Sonic 3 just came out in ‘94, and even the comic was still in its infancy. Like, would it just be the whole Death Egg saga and you prayed George Lucas didn’t sue you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a 95 treatment thats different from this one that uhhh

quote:

Eggman then runs into Hal, who reluctantly accepts Eggman's offer to be the park's main research and development designer. Using Hal's XRI technology, Eggman develops a virtual reality ride to draw kids to the newly revived theme park. The park opens to huge crowds, with kids all across town attending opening day. However, when Josh and Sonic manage to inspect the ride, they discover Eggman is using the ride to turn the kids into his Badniks, calling them Kinder-Bots and forcing them to look around the park to find the Chaos Emeralds. After further inspection, the duo discovers that Eggman, using the Chaos Emeralds, will program the XRI to turn the world's natural landmarks, such as Mount Everest and the Amazon rainforest, into digital replicas so that he can make virtual reality experiences and profit off of people wanting to see them, so that they wouldn't have to visit the landmarks themselves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder if it has any similarities with the OVA 'film'

(Still holds up, by the way - highly recommend (re)watching it if you haven't seen it lately - never hurts to rewatch things you like every 5-6 years)

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder if it has any similarities with the OVA 'film'

(Still holds up, by the way - highly recommend (re)watching it if you haven't seen it lately - never hurts to rewatch things you like every 5-6 years)

I like the ending song from the credits a lot, almost as much as Knuckles' hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Honestly that seems perfectly in-line with his plots from the games.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AzureFlame posted:

I like the ending song from the credits a lot, almost as much as Knuckles' hat.

:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUENLoRGvvs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Strange, isn't it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

can't believe eggman was going to make nfts of world heritage sites

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that seems perfectly in-line with his plots from the games.

Eh Eggman has never been about making profits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but what about eggman land

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

The man just likes amusement parks, that’s all

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Begging Sega for an Eggman Land management sim

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Sonic movie pitch is wild. Kid gets infected with hedgehog dna and turns into sonic when excited. His scientist father is kidnapped by Robotnik, who's Doctor Moreau and needs assistance working on a DNA experiment.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like the 95 movie would still have Jim Carrey in it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

As far as we know he doesn't make any money off Eggmanland!

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like the 95 movie would still have Jim Carrey in it.

That's because the plot is a half-step away from Batman Forever Riddler and the BRRRRAIN DRRRAIN

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Palmtree Panic posted:

Begging Sega for an Eggman Land management sim

Only if it comes with 3000 more lines akin to the ones from Sonic Colors

"No aliens were harmed in the creation of this park. They were all harmed AFTER the park was created."
"The unfiltered starlight from the lovely constellations above is full of deadly radiation! Help yourself to our complimentary SPF 3000 starblock. And by 'complimentary', I mean 'quite expensive'."
"We know they look delicious, but please refrain from licking the rides. That would be disgusting. Do you know where those rides have been? People have been sitting on those rides! WITH THEIR BUTTS! Okay, go ahead. Lick them. Don't say we didn't warn you."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

there is no universe where eggmanland isnt operating at a loss

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Augus posted:

there is no universe where eggmanland isnt operating at a loss

eggmanland is clearly a loss leader for the eggman empire as a whole

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Only if it comes with 3000 more lines akin to the ones from Sonic Colors

"No aliens were harmed in the creation of this park. They were all harmed AFTER the park was created."
"The unfiltered starlight from the lovely constellations above is full of deadly radiation! Help yourself to our complimentary SPF 3000 starblock. And by 'complimentary', I mean 'quite expensive'."
"We know they look delicious, but please refrain from licking the rides. That would be disgusting. Do you know where those rides have been? People have been sitting on those rides! WITH THEIR BUTTS! Okay, go ahead. Lick them. Don't say we didn't warn you."

Speaking of, I like that they kind of brought those back for Ego City in Dream Team (though sadly there were a lot less of them)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1758196969808544072?t=XoA-jY9xVW-rU8iUGlp4iw&s=19

Could've given us actual classic Shadow smdh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Classic shadow is stuck in a tube

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You're not even good enough to be my fake!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Classic Shadow has a chance to stop in his tracks and quietly stare into the distance as he gets flashbacks of Maria.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But does it turn gold (or Shadow's gold, at least) when going Super?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, they really should have left Super Shadow silver like in SA2