Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

So skimming the thread has made me want to dive into the extended Universe again, as I started down a rabbit hole of plot summaries for the Rage War series.

Seems kinda dumb but could be fun. Any good? Specifically I'm interested in the anthology "bug hunt" as it seems to contain lots of random references /world building ( my prized alien possession is my original print Technical Manual, so that's my jam).

Haven't read any Alien /Pred stuff since around when SD Perry joined her dad. No particular reason, just the last ones I remember reading.

Edit also took me a while to realize this was the same post I lurked in from the other subforum, I just thought we had two separate places for pedantic arguments about WY omnipotence 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did anyone here ever read Alien Phalanx? The one where Aliens land on a colony that regressed to a medieval society? It's really good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

McGann posted:

Seems kinda dumb but could be fun. Any good? Specifically I'm interested in the anthology "bug hunt" as it seems to contain lots of random references /world building ( my prized alien possession is my original print Technical Manual, so that's my jam).

If that's your jam, buy the Free League books. They're concentrated worldbuilding with some cool, well-written stories in the campaigns to boot. They're really really good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

McGann posted:

So skimming the thread has made me want to dive into the extended Universe again, as I started down a rabbit hole of plot summaries for the Rage War series.

Haven't read any Alien /Pred stuff since around when SD Perry joined her dad. No particular reason, just the last ones I remember reading.

Edit also took me a while to realize this was the same post I lurked in from the other subforum, I just thought we had two separate places for pedantic arguments about WY omnipotence 😂

As I recall, Bug Hunt had maybe three stories I enjoyed and the rest of them I thought ranged from average to pretty bad.

If you can find a copy for really cheap, it’s alright. I see it’s $8.99 on kindle right now, which is not worth what I got out of it personally.

On a different note, it’s not an anthology, but I can definitely recommend Aliens: The Cold Forge

It’s the best Aliens novel I’ve ever read, and I think several people who post in this thread have also read it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrMojok posted:

On a different note, it’s not an anthology, but I can definitely recommend Aliens: The Cold Forge

It’s the best Aliens novel I’ve ever read, and I think several people who post in this thread have also read it.

Bug Hunt was okaaaaay, but Cold Forge is a good novel that happens to have xenomorphs in it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cold Forge is pretty dang good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just watched Legend (original US cut) and having that film as context makes Covenant seem a little more perverse. :lol:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Cold Forge it is. Thanks for the recommendations, all - now if only hoopla carried the ebook. They do have the audiobook available for check out, but I'll keep hunting.

I do wonder if the Earth war books are worth revisiting? I read them when I was a teenager, and vaguely recall the NotHicks/NotNewt characters, Ripley showing up, and royal jelly being used as a designer drug, and the requisite MIC attempt To use xenos.

Which sounds silly as hell in retrospect but I recall being entertained

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

Just watched Legend (original US cut) and having that film as context makes Covenant seem a little more perverse. :lol:

Haven’t seen legend since I was a kid, what do you mean

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everything in Legend is coated with shiny lube.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

McGann posted:

Cold Forge it is. Thanks for the recommendations, all - now if only hoopla carried the ebook. They do have the audiobook available for check out, but I'll keep hunting.

I do wonder if the Earth war books are worth revisiting? I read them when I was a teenager, and vaguely recall the NotHicks/NotNewt characters, Ripley showing up, and royal jelly being used as a designer drug, and the requisite MIC attempt To use xenos.

Which sounds silly as hell in retrospect but I recall being entertained

The Earth War saga is indeed entertaining. I don’t know if you can find them for your particular e-reader, but you can normally find the paperbacks at a used bookstore for just a couple bucks apiece.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

Haven’t seen legend since I was a kid, what do you mean

The big one is how the prelapsarian forest paradise of Legend looks quite similar to the planet David ended up stranded on in Covenant.

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything in Legend is coated with shiny lube.

Not everything. Some were only coated in glitter.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Edit: wrong thread. Prometheus is always an entertaining watch, but if you try to make the science fit the film you’ll come up disappointed on both fronts.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 13, 2024

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
:filez: but I am pretty sure the full 11 hour audiobook of cold forge is on YouTube. search the title and audiobook. At least a few years ago it was when I crazy sick with COVID it was and I listened to it while in a half asleep fever haze.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

The big one is how the prelapsarian forest paradise of Legend looks quite similar to the planet David ended up stranded on in Covenant.

Not everything. Some were only coated in glitter.
It was glittery lube. That coven of vampires from Lost Boys? There were actually like two dozen of them before they made Legend.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Blood Boils posted:

I think Scott and co stated they were the same universe once or twice, off handedly not like, strictly.

Animals are pretty much extinct in Blade Runner.

So is Jonesy a real cat? Or a synthetic?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cessna posted:

Jones is absolutely a real boy. :colbert:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xenomrph posted:

Not that being a synthetic disqualifies you from being a good boy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cessna posted:

Nothing we ever build will be as malicious as the xenomorph, and when it saw Jonesy there was a real “game recognizes game” moment.

Jonesy is real, but (as an orange cat) had access to their one collective brain cell for FAR longer than any have before.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

How does a freighter crew afford a real cat in the Blade Runner 'verse?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cessna posted:

How does a freighter crew afford a real cat in the Blade Runner 'verse?
Ripley was independently wealthy and just worked the job because she loves spaceships.

Fun fact: Jones legit is Ripley’s cat specifically - on her bridge terminal, you can spot a photo of Jones as a kitten.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Like merchant ships on the sea, every deep space hauler has a cat on board to catch mice. Space mice. Ripley just loves Jonesy the most, which is why she has the picture up.

This is my headcanon because I want more cats in this franchise which has sorely been lacking them since the 80s :colbert:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The photo of Kitten Jones is just a hint that Ripley is synthetic

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: Jones legit is Ripley’s cat specifically - on her bridge terminal, you can spot a photo of Jones as a kitten.

I've watched the movie hundreds of times but never noticed that. Thanks!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MO-TH-UR wasn't malicious or under any kind of company directive, she was just malfunctioning because Jones kept pissing all over the consol in the yellow light room.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

banned from Starbucks posted:

MO-TH-UR wasn't malicious or under any kind of company directive, she was just malfunctioning because Jones kept pissing all over the consol in the yellow light room.

Which he did on the explicit orders of Jim! :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

Ripley was independently wealthy and just worked the job because she loves spaceships.

Ripley, keeping a photo of the cat she brought with her on her terminal, whilst having no signs of the daughter she left behind.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PriorMarcus posted:

Ripley, keeping a photo of the cat she brought with her on her terminal, whilst having no signs of the daughter she left behind.

Why do bash “dead-beat” dads mums for not being there for their kids but we never question if the child has bad vibes? Or if they’re just unpleasant to be around?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Here lies Ripley's daughter, she never scored.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

I’d have to do some digging to confirm this, but I’m not sure that the idea that Ripley had a daughter was part of her backstory when ‘Alien’ was being made, Cameron might have created that for the sequel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I’d have to do some digging to confirm this, but I’m not sure that the idea that Ripley had a daughter was part of her backstory when ‘Alien’ was being made, Cameron might have created that for the sequel.

That feels right. The parts in the script were all famously gender neutral. I don’t know what reason someone would have had to add that detail to her backstory in Alien since it never comes up in the movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

That feels right. The parts in the script were all famously gender neutral. I don’t know what reason someone would have had to add that detail to her backstory in Alien since it never comes up in the movie.

It might have been something that got added by Ridley Scott as part of character backstories after casting had happened, but again I’d have to do some digging to fact-check it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

I assumed this was the case, I was just having some fun with the disparity.

If anyone feels like it they should release a fan cut that's exactly the same film except an image of Amanda from Alien Isolation has been added to the console in that shot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves; maybe her daughter is a cat?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves; maybe her daughter is a cat?

I think the more important question is, were we in Ripley’s shoes, would we have gone back to save Jones?

I would have died for that cat. Even if the Alien was a threat to him (it wasn’t) or afraid of him (it was), I absolutely would have put myself between Jones and the Alien in order to make sure Jonesy lived.

For more on this topic, see the following book:

Jonesy: Nine Lives on the Nostromo https://a.co/d/5uskh3r

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

david_a posted:

Men, famously not able to have daughters?

e: but yeah, Alien is not about Family so it's just an irrelevant detail that has no reason to come up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I bought the premade adventures for the Alien RPG. There is apparently a race of like black goo infected humans called the evolved trying to destroy humanity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

I bought the premade adventures for the Alien RPG. There is apparently a race of like black goo infected humans called the evolved trying to destroy humanity.

I wish them all the luck in the worlds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Covok posted:

See, this is why even the most die-hard EU consumers should be celebrating the Ridley Scott prequels: there's new toys in the toybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

I’d have to look it up, but that might be an adaptation of an idea from the 90s comics where there were Royal Jelly infected humans trying to destroy humanity but I don’t know if they called themselves “the evolved” off the top of my head.