Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Canon Price Watch is great for checking prices/price history at all the reputable dealers/used sellers

Canon refurbs are usually virtually brand new and often cheaper than used, so I'd start there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was a lot of links thrown in this thread (I think) recently, and I went through them all to see what price I could get an x100 series camera for and settled for Used Photo Pro (Roberts Camera). They graded the camera as good and said it had a bit of body wear and light scratches… it came and they definitely seem to follow the model of ‘grade under condition’ and I’m really happy with the service and price. Zero hesitation to recommend them based on that transaction.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

looks like you can get refurb from Canon for $1169: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/re...mpaign=13505864

or if you have a Prime Visa you can get 10% back buying new from Amazon which also comes out to... $1169: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0BTTTH5G6/cpw-20/?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

both are as cheap as anything you'll find outside of maybe Facebook Marketplace

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
This is super late, but yeah I find it hard to autofocus the 70d I got with an electronic ring focus dial lens (I've been using the 28mm crop because that's close to a wide fifty standard and it's also super light). It's miserable, flimsy, so untactile. 😖 The ring just glides and sometimes the focus moves in a way that's unintuitive.

I use manual a lot with wider lenses, because the autofocus is bad at intuiting what I want to highlight about a scene.

I wish I had a rangefinder with split prison.... That's the dream. With no assist on the viewfinder I find I usually mess up the focus. With the digital 5x center zoom I can land it. I've been shooting manual with the live view more often because it's easier to compose (I'm near sighted and the diopter adjustment isn't enough compensation).

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 9, 2024

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for options for a camera that gets me a step or two above what I can do with a smartphone. The youtube algorithm pushed me towards the X100V but I don't want to pay a scalper and I also would like to be able to swap lenses. I think basically something on the smaller side that I can use for travel, street photography, some videography, dog pics, taking pics of birds and mushrooms at the cottage, etc. Ideally would be able to double as a webcam. I've had DSLRs in the past but the bulkiness kept me from taking them many places. Seems like nowadays there's smaller cameras that are pretty drat good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

prom candy posted:

Looking for options for a camera that gets me a step or two above what I can do with a smartphone. The youtube algorithm pushed me towards the X100V but I don't want to pay a scalper and I also would like to be able to swap lenses. I think basically something on the smaller side that I can use for travel, street photography, some videography, dog pics, taking pics of birds and mushrooms at the cottage, etc. Ideally would be able to double as a webcam. I've had DSLRs in the past but the bulkiness kept me from taking them many places. Seems like nowadays there's smaller cameras that are pretty drat good?

Ricoh GR III (fixed lens) and Sony RX VII (big zoom range, lesser image quality arguably) tick the most boxes on your list. If video and birds matter more, go for the Sony. If image quality and simple but fun user experience matter, the Ricoh really punches above its weight (a lot of people compare it favorably or above the X100V).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's the most important part? If it's something pocket sized, X100V is a great option--you're right about the prices/scalper situation, but Fuji is announcing a successor to it later in the month so the V should become a lot more reasonable. The Ricoh GR III and Canon G7X Mk II are also pretty popular in the same vein.

If you want interchangeable lenses, mirrorless cameras are smaller than DSLRs. I've been very happy with the Fuji X-T4, capable of everything I've tried to do and it's not huge. I've carried it around all day on vacation without an issue. Used ones aren't too expensive.

Sony's cameras are pretty compact. No personal experience with them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just want something budget friendly that does everything I want it to perfectly with no compromises, is that so much to ask? also it should look cool

edit: but realistically i think i'm probably leaning more towards going mirrorless size to keep the interchangeable lenses vs. going all the way down to compact size

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 9, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

prom candy posted:

I just want something budget friendly that does everything I want it to perfectly with no compromises, is that so much to ask? also it should look cool

edit: but realistically i think i'm probably leaning more towards going mirrorless size to keep the interchangeable lenses vs. going all the way down to compact size

Sony A6700 would be my rec there. Great camera with a great family of lenses for it while still being very small.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i sold off my x100f to move up to an x-t4 before all the zoomer fuji trend inflation and drat am i regretting that

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hope and vaseline posted:

i sold off my x100f to move up to an x-t4 before all the zoomer fuji trend inflation and drat am i regretting that

it was an X-t3 for me but yeah, same. the t3's a great camera but even with the pancakiest pancake lens it lacks the spontaneity of an x100.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Consider the X-T30, I actually like it better than my X-T3 due to the compactness

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
x-t30 and a6700 both look pretty great. i love the fuji stuff and I also want something that my wife is going to want to shoot with too and she loves all that retro stuff since she was a big dark room nerd in high school. the x-t30 also looks smaller than the the a6700 and i like the way the screen tilts for shooting from the hip. on the other hand i do want to shoot video too and the a6700 seems like a way better choice for that, watching some examples between the two the a6700 just seems way better suited for the job. really the two biggest downsides i can see with the a6700 are i don't think i like how the screen flips out (but i've never owned a camera where the screen flips out so i have no idea) and it's new and more expensive.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

the a6700 has ibis also which would be a huge advantage over the x-t30

on the other hand it is a $500 price premium over the x-t30

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

hope and vaseline posted:

the a6700 has ibis also which would be a huge advantage over the x-t30

on the other hand it is a $500 price premium over the x-t30

yes but like a -$1200 price premium if i buy the x-t30 and then later buy the a6700 because i decide i made the wrong choice.

which of course begs the question why don't i have any cheap hobbies

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

You can always rent from a place like LensRentals, or go into your local camera store to see how the cameras feel in your hand before you drop bags on a camera and more money later down the line on lenses.

I did this when shopping for my current setup. I probably would've gone with Fujifilm if I had not rented one based on how cool the cameras looked, and the praise they get online. When I rented multiple Fujifilm cameras, I found out that actually using them made me feel like I was fighting the camera the whole time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of these cameras take ridiculously good video now, it’s not as bad as it was when DSLRs first added the feature. If you’re a pro and know what you need, you’ll know which is better, but as an amateur, both will be more than enough.

$500 difference is a good lens.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

prom candy posted:

How about an x100f? I got one of those used recently for a decent price and I don't think for the way I use it that I'm missing out not getting the V. If you can find a good deal on one that might be worth looking at. I've had a few mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (and film rangefinders) and I very rarely actually change lenses away from the 35-40mm range. If it's supposed to be a 'carry everywhere' and 'spontaneous photo' camera that in my experience doesn't go with fumbling the change lenses all the time, or having to carry around a bunch of glass that you almost never use.

Ideally get your hands on them to see how they feel, I'm a big fan of buttons and knobs and switches which is why the fuji appealed to me, and I like their film simulations. But if those things aren't important to you then there are quite a few options as people have pointed out.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Blackhawk posted:

How about an x100f? I got one of those used recently for a decent price and I don't think for the way I use it that I'm missing out not getting the V. If you can find a good deal on one that might be worth looking at. I've had a few mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (and film rangefinders) and I very rarely actually change lenses away from the 35-40mm range. If it's supposed to be a 'carry everywhere' and 'spontaneous photo' camera that in my experience doesn't go with fumbling the change lenses all the time, or having to carry around a bunch of glass that you almost never use.

Ideally get your hands on them to see how they feel, I'm a big fan of buttons and knobs and switches which is why the fuji appealed to me, and I like their film simulations. But if those things aren't important to you then there are quite a few options as people have pointed out.

yeah it's near impossible to find the x100 line affordably right now, check ebay listings and keh. grats on lucking out with one though!

https://www.keh.com/shop/fujifilm-x100f-digital-camera-silver-24-3-m-p-1.html

the x100vi should help alleviate used prices when that launches, if it has enough stock to satisfy retro tik tok trends

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 12, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume the trend will pass and the youths will find some other dumb expensive token to show how cool they are and prices will return to earth. I sold my X100F for under 700 bucks on this very forum 2 years ago.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

You can always rent from a place like LensRentals, or go into your local camera store to see how the cameras feel in your hand before you drop bags on a camera and more money later down the line on lenses.

I did this when shopping for my current setup. I probably would've gone with Fujifilm if I had not rented one based on how cool the cameras looked, and the praise they get online. When I rented multiple Fujifilm cameras, I found out that actually using them made me feel like I was fighting the camera the whole time.

Conversely, as a Fuji shooter I actually find the 'retro' control layout way more logical than PASM, so preferences will vary :v:

Seconding renting something before committing though.

I'll also say re: IBIS, even good IBIS still isn't really enough to make up for a bad camera operator. Taking good video is very much a matter of skill and knowing what you're doing, and it's this whole other world from regular photography. Phones do a lot to punch up their video with post-processing that you're going to need to learn how to do yourself if that's something you're interested in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

When I rented multiple Fujifilm cameras, I found out that actually using them made me feel like I was fighting the camera the whole time.

This is how I've felt with all of them as well, but I will say handling the GFX 100 II in B&H felt great. It's a massive, stupidly expensive camera without much of a lens lineup for my uses, but that thing felt really good in hand.

But so did the Nikon ZF, maybe even better. I think that kinda perfected Fuji's film aesthetic on digital bodies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ishikabibble posted:

Conversely, as a Fuji shooter I actually find the 'retro' control layout way more logical than PASM, so preferences will vary :v:

Yeah I went from Canon to Fuji and much prefer having all the controls manual. I like not having to interact with menus. I have one lens without an aperture ring and it annoys me badly.

All just personal preference though, the result's the same.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I went from Canon to Fuji and much prefer having all the controls manual. I like not having to interact with menus. I have one lens without an aperture ring and it annoys me badly.

I really like the canon RF lens rings for this too. In manual I have the shutter on the top dial, aperture on the lens ring, and ISO on the rear wheel. In aperture or shutter priority I set it to exposure compensation for easy and quick exposure adjustments.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would get annoyed but then I learned about putting the shutter speed to the T setting and that lets me use the rear dial to adjust shutter speed freely, which is the one 'classic DSLR'-style control I find useful. Aperture on the lens is great, other controls are pretty straightforward and almost instantly show you what the setup is. I just have an X-T20, so things like ISO are in a menu instead of a dial, but otherwise all visible on the top or front.

The other nice thing on (at least some of?) the Fujis - the "AUTO" lever as a full-automatic mode override if you need to hand the camera to somebody for a snapshot, something like that. Small detail but useful.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I got a trailer for my big camera. It's much easier to get everything to a decent location now. No more lugging things from my truck anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare:

I am deeply impressed

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TomR posted:

I got a trailer for my big camera. It's much easier to get everything to a decent location now. No more lugging things from my truck anymore.

Surprised the X100VI is this much larger than the V

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It will get all the fuji hipsters back into bikes in a big way!

Also dig the Thinktank retro, great bags

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

I use the R7 with the RF 100-400 and it's pretty darn good, but the 100-400 is not weather sealed and Canon don't provide any standardized rating for the R7's weather proofing either so I'm not sure if I'd want to rely on it in such a wet environment.

I mostly shoot birds too and I've been eyeing the OM-1 as an "if I could start all over again" camera. It's got a proper IP rating and apparently they have some nice weather sealed lenses around without dipping all the way into the "professional" price bracket. As a bonus, the OM-1 MkII just got announced so there should be a lot of panic selling around. :v:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 20, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

RillAkBea posted:

I use the R7 with the RF 100-400 and it's pretty darn good, but the 100-400 is not weather sealed and Canon don't provide any standardized rating for the R7's weather proofing either so I'm not sure if I'd want to rely on it in such a wet environment.

I mostly shoot birds too and I've been eyeing the OM-1 as an "if I could start all over again" camera. It's got a proper IP rating and apparently they have some nice weather sealed lenses around without dipping all the way into the "professional" price bracket. As a bonus, the OM-1 MkII just got announced so there should be a lot of panic selling around. :v:

i was also looking at olympus as my second option because they seem very reasonably priced but i was unsure about micro 4/3rds as a tradeoff - not sure how i feel about crop factor meaning bigger subjects vs fov. glass seems really reasonably priced too.

after you posted this i watched a video where duade paton talked about this exact thing and showed olympus footage of them just deadass shooting a mister at the om1 which was definitely a selling point

how's the om5 compare to the om1?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

i was also looking at olympus as my second option because they seem very reasonably priced but i was unsure about micro 4/3rds as a tradeoff - not sure how i feel about crop factor meaning bigger subjects vs fov. glass seems really reasonably priced too.

after you posted this i watched a video where duade paton talked about this exact thing and showed olympus footage of them just deadass shooting a mister at the om1 which was definitely a selling point

how's the om5 compare to the om1?

Apparently their compact wide lenses are pretty good as well, but obviously you're not going to get the artsy ~depth of field~ of a larger sensor.

I've looked at the OM-5 and I'm not quite sure the price difference is worth the trade-off in features/performance. Fewer AF points, fewer controls (no AF stick), etc. But it's apparently weather sealed to the same spec as the OM-1, so that's a point in its favor for outdoorsy stuff.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'll say that I've shot in decent rain with the R7 and 70-200L for a few hours without issue, but yeah, if you're talking proper weather sealed lenses you're mainly looking at the RF100-500 or its precursor, the EF100-400L

Depending on how patient you're willing to be, the R7 and RF100-500 have been on refurb sale for a smidge under 3k recently. The EF version would hit that much more easily, especially used. It's a pretty killer combo, probably unbeatable for the price/size/weight since you're presumably going to want something that can be easily shoved in a dry bag

At that price point and for something that will regularly be on a kayak I'd probably get into the "don't buy something you can't afford to replace" mindset though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

did the embargo lift on the Fuji X100VI today? My youtube feed is full of it this morning.

I checked my pockets, but I dont have a spare $1600 in them :smith:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

This might fit your wants without killing the bank - but it's not as good as a full blown 2-3k+ setup
https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product-archive/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=interestingness-desc&safe_search=1&text=Nikon%20coolpix%20p900&view_all=1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Beve Stuscemi posted:

did the embargo lift on the Fuji X100VI today? My youtube feed is full of it this morning.

I checked my pockets, but I dont have a spare $1600 in them :smith:

I saw someone say one of the big stores (Adorama I think) had a working check out for 2 minutes before it closed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I actually do have a spare $1600 but I was a good boy and didn't press any buttons to buy something I don't need.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i looked at bridge cameras but was kind of unenthusiastic about the shots i was seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i looked at bridge cameras but was kind of unenthusiastic about the shots i was seeing

Right on - just an outside option for portability and price

Welcome to the bird shooting crew, post in both bird threads often when you get your gear. I'll warn you, the first 6 months of getting into this is ridiculously addictive.