Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

ps if anyone with an android phone wants to try it out themselves, termux makes it pretty easy (it's not quite debian-based, but it uses apt)

only thing is, don't install termux from the play store, it's deprecated. grab builds from github releases (https://github.com/termux/termux-app) or f-droid (not recommended, apparently these are not up to date because f-droid has a really stupid policy wrt updates)

then just `apt install qemu-system-i386 virglrenderer-android pulseaudio x11vnc xrdp` … etc etc

absolutely nobody wants to run Linux in an x86 emulator on an iPhone or whatever the hell it is you're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Beeftweeter posted:

ps if anyone with an android phone wants to try it out themselves, termux makes it pretty easy (it's not quite debian-based, but it uses apt)

only thing is, don't install termux from the play store, it's deprecated. grab builds from github releases (https://github.com/termux/termux-app) or f-droid (not recommended, apparently these are not up to date because f-droid has a really stupid policy wrt updates)

then just `apt install qemu-system-i386 virglrenderer-android pulseaudio x11vnc xrdp` … etc etc

F-Droid rebuilds all APKs themselves rather than shipping upstream's directly. This tends to make project maintainers touchy because they're control freaks (like how they get about Debian stable or RHEL or whatever), but it does admittedly slow things down

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

absolutely nobody wants to run Linux in an x86 emulator on an iPhone or whatever the hell it is you're doing

thats running qemu on android (which is linux, albeit aarch64) but thanks for playing

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

fdroid will allow developers to ship their own signed binaries -- if the binaries are reproducible.
https://f-droid.org/en/docs/Reproducible_Builds/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

well it can, it uses the same implementation of directx that wine does

but

right now i'm having a hell of a time getting it to connect to the internet, although i suspect that's because my phone isn't rooted. but still, i'm pretty sure QEMU supports userland networking, and i do have it able to see a local connection, it just can't reach anything outside of it

qemu's networking options have changed considerably since the last time i had to do something like this though, so i'm not sure where i'm going wrong. my command line looks like this right now

code:
qemu-system-i386 -machine pc -cpu pentium3 -vga virtio -hda reactos.qcow2 -usb -net nic,model=e1000 -audio driver=pa,model=ac97,server=127.0.0.1 -boot menu=on
which yields a normal boot, but this on stderr

code:
qemu-system-i386: warning: hub 0 is not connected to host network
...and admittedly i haven't really looked through all of the various new networking options, but in the olden days (of like last year), that would've automatically created and connected to a hub, iirc (i could be wrong, i usually set this poo poo up in a script and then don't touch it)

so any help there would be appreciated, and then i can try to run some games because the virtio acceleration seems to work fine (the typical GL-based text screensaver that like, NT4/2K had works fine)

not sure you can do anything other than user-mode networking without root, since you'll need to be able to create bridges and tap devices.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pretty sure that non-root emulation on android has some pretty severe performance and permission limitations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well, it doesn't need to be high performance or anything, but i figured out what i was doing wrong

i just had a -nic and -netdev defined, without connecting the two

so the proper command line looks like this

code:
qemu-system-i386 -machine pc -m 1G -cpu pentium3 -vga virtio -hda reactos.qcow2 -usb -audio driver=pa,model=ac97,server=127.0.0.1 -boot menu=on -netdev user,id=en0 -net nic,model=e1000,netdev=en0
:doh:

networking works now. but it's also dinner time, so i'll play around with it some more later

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hi thread. since I've been doing more serious coding in vim i've been learning more of the advanced features, like indenting blocks of text and stuff. it's good software. thank you for reading my post

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
eh it turns out networking "works" with that configuration (i.e. qemu doesn't complain about it not being connected to a hub anymore) but it still can't reach any outside hosts, so it doesn't work

but idk, it should be able to, it's at least aware enough of android's actual network connection that it won't let me dhcp the same address range. bleh. whatever, i don't feel like spending any more time on this today

e: this obviously doesn't deserve its own post and if you think the whole endeavor is asinine then don't bother reading,

anyway, i was thinking about this a bit and i actually have a rooted android phone here, but it's a little older and slower (android 7 and snapdragon 617/3 gb ram in the rooted phone, android 9 and kirin 970/6 gb in the one i was using earlier). i guess i can try reactos on there over the weekend or tomorrow or something, but tbh i'm actually more interested in seeing if i can get arm windows running on it not unbearably slowly with kvm

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 16, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Silver Alicorn posted:

hi thread. since I've been doing more serious coding in vim i've been learning more of the advanced features, like indenting blocks of text and stuff. it's good software. thank you for reading my post

nano is the best EDITOR

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i legit use vims regexes more than any movements or actual feature and its why i cant use any other editor or things without vim regex support

theyre inside me and all over me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

$EDITOR is the best EDITOR

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Share Bear posted:

i legit use vims regexes more than any movements or actual feature and its why i cant use any other editor or things without vim regex support

theyre inside me and all over me
every now and then someone tries to sell me on this or that thing and i'm always like "ok, but does it have a fully functional vim plugin" because 20 years of muscle memory for things many editors can't even do is horrible lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use a full IDE and sleep in a big bed with my wife.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

euroshopper posted:

general question I have a bunch of Pentium 3 and 4 machines that I dunno what to do with. I know Linux on anything earlier than a P4 is spotty but what are some good distros I can put on them? I thought about putting Red Hat Linux on them for period-accuracy but then I'd end up limiting myself to the pre-installed software.

install windows 2000 and play nolf1 on them OP

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
notepad++ and geany fan, hjere.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Progressive JPEG posted:

install windows 2000 and play nolf1 on them OP

reactos seems like it'd be fine for this kind of thing. it's more xp-ish than 2k (and supports xp themes, etc.) but it'll run on a pentium and includes modern-ish device support/drivers

plus it can read ext volumes and one of the install options lets you use btrfs for the os for some reason, so its not like you can't try it alongside linux or something

e: huh it actually supports older hardware than that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Truga posted:

every now and then someone tries to sell me on this or that thing and i'm always like "ok, but does it have a fully functional vim plugin" because 20 years of muscle memory for things many editors can't even do is horrible lol

I wanna like helix editor but they altered the commands just enough to make switching back and forth between it and vim really annoying

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

reactos seems like it'd be fine for this kind of thing. it's more xp-ish than 2k (and supports xp themes, etc.)

hard pass

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well, it uses the 2k start menu and you don't need to enable themes at all. or text antialiasing (it uses freetype's cleartype mode), the shutdown dialog is the dropdown server/2k type by default (although you can turn the xp-like graphical buttons on if you really want to), and the explorer clone is more in line with 2k's than xp (it has a normal search interface, no MSAgent there) etc. so it's really like a blend of the two i guess, the theme support is just to make it look more modern. one of the included themes makes it look kinda like windows 10 etc.

but really, 2k and xp aren't really all that far apart anyway

idk, it's like a 50mb download if you wanna try it, and there's a livecd that comes with a few utilities and poo poo. but installing it took less than 5 minutes under qemu on a relatively old phone, i have no doubt it'd be even faster on a "real" vm platform

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool that there are crazy people making stuff like reactos but I don't think there's any logical reason to actually use it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

It's cool that there are crazy people making stuff like reactos but I don't think there's any logical reason to actually use it

it's a windows-compatible os for older hardware that supports newer windows software (it shares compatibility with wine), i think that has some utility

but otherwise yeah, i don't think anyone should use it for anything serious. imo it's still neat though, and it was easier to grab a reactos image than to pirate win2k or whatever from the internet archive to play with qemu on android

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maybe call a loved one this weekend instead

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

I use a full IDE and sleep in a big bed with my wife.

Another reason to use vim: ides are for straight people :barf:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Another reason to use vim: ides are for straight people :barf:

Non straight/binary people can have wives as well. It’s true!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really should learn how to use vim properly because all I do is insert and :wq!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ziasquinn posted:

I really should learn how to use vim properly because all I do is insert and :wq!

dd deletes a line out of insert mode! Now you know as much as me!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the only other thing i do is like open and close panes within vim as scratch space

imagine like remembering which vimbuffers youre yanking text to like a madman instead of putting it in a pane to refer to

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i use vim because it pisses off my vs code loving data scientist coworkers, and i am but a temp here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Its a Rolex posted:

i use vim because it pisses off my vs code loving data scientist coworkers, and i am but a temp here

This tracks with a typical VIM user.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Its a Rolex posted:

Luckily they won't be able to figure out how to get you to quit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't find myself working any faster with vim than with vscode

the one thing i do like about vim is that i can record a sequence of commands (qq <commands> q) and then replay it e.g. a dozen times in one shot (12@q). handy for a number of tedious text processing tasks and much quicker than writing a one-off script.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok so here’s what you do is like

press control v, that takes you into visual block mode. then you press down and you’re selecting lines. once you select a block, press shift + i and it’ll go into edit mode. type a hashtag and then press escape twice. now the whole block is commented! isn’t that easy? to undo it, press control v, select all the hashtags, then press x

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

lmfao

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

press control v, that takes you into visual block mode. then you press down and you’re selecting lines. once you select a block, press shift + i and it’ll go into edit mode. type a hashtag and then press escape twice. now the whole block is commented! isn’t that easy? to undo it, press control v, select all the hashtags, then press x

If you have relative line numbers you don't even have to select all the lines, just type the number next to the line you want to go down to and then k or down arrow

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

mystes posted:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I use vim.... with a colmak layout :twisted:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Silver Alicorn posted:

poe's law in full effect - i cannot tell if that "isn't that easy?" is ironic or not, because I could see a vim user genuinely believing that

for the latter type, every halfway modern text editor lets you hold down a modifier (typically ctrl-alt) to create multiple cursors, which will do this stuff trivially and more

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

NihilCredo posted:

poe's law in full effect - i cannot tell if that "isn't that easy?" is ironic or not, because I could see a vim user genuinely believing that

for the latter type, every halfway modern text editor lets you hold down a modifier (typically ctrl-alt) to create multiple cursors, which will do this stuff trivially and more

reject modernity return to teco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

mystes posted:

lol