Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

They also are revealed with a certain chest piece
Is that the assassin chestpiece hidden under the bridge at the back? Because I've been using both, like a complete knob.

I've slept on it and I think the problem is I want to be able to do everything. I had STR at 20 'in case' I came across a neat weapon that needed it, and ARC at 20 for the only other good non-int katana, which is Rivers of Blood. I have a few spells memorised but mostly 12 faith ones that cure statuses.

Does a higher ARC affect the weapon's damage, the damage of the status effect (eg poison / rot / bleed), or just how fast it procs? I use the serpent bow to cheese enemies at a distance by applying poison & rot, and then just putting my controller down and waiting.

I am glad of the opportunity to respec, but ironically it has led me to try out so many weird stat spreads and now I only have 2 left (I checked the wiki) I kind of need to get it right and am overthinking it.

Ordinarily in souls games I use a claymore and like to be able to stagger enemies occasionally, but was enjoying katanas this time round because they're faster - I just feel like I've hit a wall in terms of their usefulness compared to my playstyle. Or maybe I just need to go all-in on one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

As someone who also went with a dex/arc status effect build for my first playthrough I can confidently say that’s the worst way to do a first playthrough. It requires a lot of game knowledge (and wiki diving) to maximize status buildup and use the right statuses for the right enemies. The question of what exactly Arcane does is a good example.

So my honest advice would be, if your current playthrough is no longer fun, don’t be afraid to abandon it and start a new one. The Zweihander is sold by the merchant at the westernmost point of the weeping peninsula, so you can get Torrent and then beeline straight there.

EDIT: Since this is an open world game, the experience of restarting it is nothing like the experience of restarting a Dark Souls game. There’s no sense of “ugh I did all this already” except maybe when it comes to getting map pieces.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Ariong posted:

EDIT: Since this is an open world game, the experience of restarting it is nothing like the experience of restarting a Dark Souls game. There’s no sense of “ugh I did all this already” except maybe when it comes to getting map pieces.

also riding your horse back and forth between rya and boggart so you don't miss out on boiled crab later

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is that the assassin chestpiece hidden under the bridge at the back? Because I've been using both, like a complete knob.

I've slept on it and I think the problem is I want to be able to do everything. I had STR at 20 'in case' I came across a neat weapon that needed it, and ARC at 20 for the only other good non-int katana, which is Rivers of Blood. I have a few spells memorised but mostly 12 faith ones that cure statuses.

Does a higher ARC affect the weapon's damage, the damage of the status effect (eg poison / rot / bleed), or just how fast it procs? I use the serpent bow to cheese enemies at a distance by applying poison & rot, and then just putting my controller down and waiting.

I am glad of the opportunity to respec, but ironically it has led me to try out so many weird stat spreads and now I only have 2 left (I checked the wiki) I kind of need to get it right and am overthinking it.

Ordinarily in souls games I use a claymore and like to be able to stagger enemies occasionally, but was enjoying katanas this time round because they're faster - I just feel like I've hit a wall in terms of their usefulness compared to my playstyle. Or maybe I just need to go all-in on one thing.

In general what Ive seen is most people specialize into 2 stats for a build, 1 physical and 1 "magic". So youll see str/fth and dex/int as 2 popular ones as they complement eachother really well.

It doesnt help that arc seems to do barely anything until something like 25-30, and then the breakpoints are weird compared to other stats.

When I ran an arc build what i generally noticed is bleed falls off in favor of occult once you got to around ~50ish arcane.

Imo lategame arc works best with a weapon that has innate status like deadly poison/rot/bleed and occult affinity for damage. Your high arc will offset the status buildup reduction you get when you infuse the weapon with occult.

Bu you can do perfectly fine with normal weapons. I finished my arc runthrough with 2 occult epees so status is not required for occult.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 15, 2024

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ariong posted:

There’s no sense of “ugh I did all this already” except maybe when it comes to getting map pieces.

There's also golden seeds, sacred tears, crystal tears, certain ashes of war, the initial smithing stone collecting, cracking open the Greyoll rune piñata, etc. The first 2-3 hours can be fairly samey.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Paracelsus posted:

There's also golden seeds, sacred tears, crystal tears, certain ashes of war, the initial smithing stone collecting, cracking open the Greyoll rune piñata, etc. The first 2-3 hours can be fairly samey.

I recommend the "one region at a time full clear" a goon posted in this thread a few months back. Plot a journey, stick to it, don't cheese Torrent to get twice as much healing as you need to beat first half of the game bosses, force yourself to use and level weapons you find instead of bolting to the Royal Overstatted Stick in Caelid or Atlus.

Hell, it's what we all did once on our first runs. Don't let meta brain control you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mogh, lord of blood, is full of blood. So much blood. You can help him do something about all that blood...

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Party Boat posted:

The whip is great from horseback and my go to for taking down wandering mausoleums

:yeah:

And for invisible scarabs I really like using Fire's Deadly Sin. You only need to stand in the way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Mogh, lord of blood, is full of blood. So much blood. You can help him do something about all that blood...
See I figured he'd be immune to bleed for that very reason but I guess counterintuitively the reverse could be true. Like the poison testicle things that explode when you poison them.

Currently playing about in limgrave with a claymore, seeing how the moveset feels.

E: oh poo poo, apparently I can still buy things from Berhal's abandoned sword at volcano Manor, so I now have Assassin's Gambit.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 15, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Paracelsus posted:

Randomiser supremacy, in which the first 45 minutes or so is always the same but then it diverges enormously

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't care if the best talisman in the game's in there with him, that dung eater fella doesn't seem right to me snd I will not be letting him out.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't care if the best talisman in the game's in there with him, that dung eater fella doesn't seem right to me snd I will not be letting him out.

He's a product of his environment. It's not his fault

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You cannot kill him and take his stuff if you don't open the door.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For any weapon that scales with arcane, it affects the damage.
For any weapon with a status effect aside from frostbite(which scales with int), it also increases the amount of status inflicted, IF the weapon has arcane scaling, allowing you to apply the status in fewer hits.
It does not affect the damage that the status does once applied. Not that it matters because bleed does huge damage regardless.

If a weapon has bleed/poison/rot, but does not scale with Arcane, higher Arcane will not increase the amount of status it inflicts. But if you apply arcane scaling to it with an affinity like poison/blood/occult, now it will.
Weapons with innate bleed in particular are great choices for blood/occult affinity, because in the case of blood affinity, you just wind up with higher buildup than a weapon that didn't originally have bleed, and in the case of occult affinity, now the innate bleed on that weapon is scaling with arcane and you're using arcane as a direct damage stat.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Dung Eater wants the whole world to burn.

Just because he has bad hygiene and a terrible diet doesn’t mean he can’t live más.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Nah, the fire guy is a different guy. Pooman wants the whole world to be poo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

See I figured he'd be immune to bleed for that very reason but I guess counterintuitively the reverse could be true. Like the poison testicle things that explode when you poison them.

Currently playing about in limgrave with a claymore, seeing how the moveset feels.

E: oh poo poo, apparently I can still buy things from Berhal's abandoned sword at volcano Manor, so I now have Assassin's Gambit.

Mohg wants things to bleed, it empowers him, why would it matter if its his own blood. (Seriously, bleed procs increase Mohg's damage, whether it's you or him that are bleeding, and he has a huge weakness to Bleed because thematically it is appropriate for him to want to bleed himself just as much as he wants to make others bleed for his divine patron).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This sacred relic sword certainly kicks rear end.

Is there anywhere in game I can see what % i've done? The PS dashboard says 100% but I've done none of the haligtree and I don't think I've completed the sewers either.

Oh and the reason I couldn't find summons for Radagon / blob was because I was looking at the stake outside Godfrey's arena, didn't realise there was a whole other one inside the thorns.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This sacred relic sword certainly kicks rear end.

I thought it was hilarious and awesome that the reward for beating the game is the Sword of Albinauric Farming. If you want to roflstomp NG+, take it to the ledge

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm about to beat the game for the second time and I struggled with Malenia with my otherwise amazing full INT sorcerer. Respecced to a blood build and chumped her on the first try. Crazy how night and day the experience was.

Think I'll switch back to INT though, I love the way casters play in Elden Ring.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just recently completed my first playthrough with an int build and Malenia was tough. I ended up summoning Oleg as a tank, using Ranni's Dark Moon as an opener and then casting Adula's Moonblade whenever I felt confident. The heal effect meant I had to be quite aggressive to stop her attacking Oleg too much and dragging the fight out.

For the second phase I drank the no FP cost physick, dodged Scarlet Aeonia and went to town with Comet Azur. Oleg was basically dead by this point so lots more dodging and when she went for Scarlet Aeonia again it left enough of an opening for me to finish her off.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I almost always play some kind of caster in fantasy games and goddamn try as I might to do anything else I just keep coming back to it. I really need to play again, I still have some goals I want to achieve.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm the exact opposite - never used magic in a souls game before, having gone with strength in DS1/DS2 and a fast spin2win dex build in DS3. I really enjoyed sniping enemies from miles away with a giant magical railgun, or arcing shots on top of buildings with a magical mortar, or pulling dooters off the branches of the Haligtree with gravity magic, but part of me missed the simplicity of unga bunga smash.

I saw a video the other day with a giant candlestick that absolutely pancakes fools and has a special that shits flame everywhere and I'd love to try a build that uses that. Oh - oh no. I think I've convinced myself I'm going to play Elden Ring again. gently caress! I have so many other games to play! No!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I WANT to use magic but I feel like there are only three good spells and I never have the patience to slog through it to get my stats up to use them or to acquire them.

You can beat the game with your starter weapon on any melee build.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dialhforhero posted:

I WANT to use magic but I feel like there are only three good spells

You feel wrong lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dialhforhero posted:

I WANT to use magic but I feel like there are only three good spells and I never have the patience to slog through it to get my stats up to use them or to acquire them.

You can beat the game with your starter weapon on any melee build.

You can beat the game with glintstone pebble fairly straightforwardly

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
there are so, so many good spells in ER. people mostly talk about a few but I gave them all a fair crack over my playthroughs and only a very few felt questionably useful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't know about the glintstone teacher in Limbgrave and got into the Altus Plateau with just the starting astrologer spell, they're good. And when I co-oped with a friend that was going full strength, in Nokron, they were impressed with what the glintstone arc, a starting spell, can do against large swarms. It's a starting spell but it really is a game changer compared to trying to melee a crowd.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Glintstone arc gets outmoded by the sword spells but yeah it’s useful at the start. magic glint blade (the delayed fire one that prisoner starts with) is also quite useful early on for dealing with enemies that block. I was really impressed by the power curve for sorcery in this game, especially after DS3’s which was awful. Right from the start you can get a great selection of spells and it never lets up, there’s way too many good ones to slot at once even with all the memory stones.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I have played sword+shield or colossal sword 2h in almost every souls game but this time around I went with str+faith and the amount of viable spells that I had at my disposal was almost overwhelming (in a good way). Tons of stuff that supplements a sword+shield or big sword build quite nicely too so it's not like you have to choose unga bunga sword man or super squishy mage.

I was tossing around the idea of a ranged build for my second runthrough without the mod, are there any decent options for that?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Oh - oh no. I think I've convinced myself I'm going to play Elden Ring again. gently caress! I have so many other games to play! No!
I am resolute that I am not going to do NG+ yet. I have so, so many other games to play.

But also this one is so good and I want to play it again and again and again...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Incantations have an enormous variety of viable spells, highly recommend if you want a magical moveset that is more than the equivalent of just spamming R1. Everything from a screaming dragon head that hits hard and massively debuffs enemies to optic blast to Odin's lightning to grabbing a boulder and hurling at your foe, all with surprisingly low stat requirements and access to every element.

Sorcery technically has some good variety, but mostly people stick to some mix of carian and glintstone spells. Sorcery is really well suited for spell blade builds, with incants feeling like the choice if you never want to pollute your flesh with a barbarian lump of iron. All casting pure faith build is imho the most OP build in the game, and also the most fun.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

my corollary is the all-casting int/fth build, but we are different people and not everyone is as addicted to spamming ancient call of rancor

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

doomfunk posted:

my corollary is the all-casting int/fth build, but we are different people and not everyone is as addicted to spamming ancient call of rancor

It thought the stat requirements were such that it only really did appreciable damage in NG+ or after a whole bunch of grinding, that get changed? It's just the mage equivalent to a balance build.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

it did rock solid damage for me with the prince of death's staff from the moment I got it, but I guess for some the metric of comparison will always be comet azur, which it is not. basically doesn't ever miss, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

doomfunk posted:

:hfive:

Epic High Five posted:

It thought the stat requirements were such that it only really did appreciable damage in NG+ or after a whole bunch of grinding, that get changed? It's just the mage equivalent to a balance build.

INT/FTH takes forever to reach its power ceiling if that’s what you want—prince of death staff only really starts to pull ahead from others at like 50/50 lol.

But, while you’re working on it, you can use other casting tools and are also building a guy who can cast almost everything in the game.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah it rules to be like "oh I wonder if these magma spells from volcano Manor are any good?" and very quickly find out that no, they are of specific and dubious utility at best. rykard's rancor aside, it's pretty good against the big boys

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

INT/FAI needs some more love from both directions imho. Discus of Light is one of the best spells in the game post-buff, but even then it's 5-6 levels dedicated just to using it because everything else is either dreadfully useless or requires even more levels (and is still only mostly useless)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess the other issue for me is that it is difficult to switch on the fly the spell you want. At least on kb/m combo for PC, you can’t scroll forwards AND backwards through your spell list.

Same with equipment.

This means if my list is too large I can often scroll the wrong way (up only affects magic, down only affects equipment) as a natural reaction OR scroll past what I want on accident, causing me to keep scrolling and often losing precious time in attacks irndefense. This has very often lead to me using a bottle instead of a jar or maybe cast a heal when I meant fireball.

So of course, path of least resistance means bonky boi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you press and hold the d-pad direction it quickly jumps to the first thing in the list. I always put my most important spells first so I could quickly switch to it when I needed to by holding the d-pad direction down. Same with flasks/items.