Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Libluini posted:

Yeah, early RPGs were often a wild mix of genres. Ultima II was set in the Solar System and you had to travel between planets, Might and Magic I-V all were set on giant world ships (IV and V on different sides of the same one, even) and VI-VIII dealt with an alien invasion and the resulting fallout.

I wonder how much of that is due to those early games not really having graphics, so everything was already in the player's imagination, so why not make it weird af?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder how much of that is due to those early games not really having graphics, so everything was already in the player's imagination, so why not make it weird af?

I think it is less that and more than 'fantasy' and 'sci-fi' were pretty intertwined for a long time, to the point where a lot of fantasy stuff had sci-fi elements and sci-fi stuff had fantasy elements. If you look at a lot of the biggest stuff from the genres there's a not unsubtle amount of overlap.

Like Dune is a great example, it's a far-future story with space travel but also psychic magic witches and swordfights and so-on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Sure, but that doesn't explain the later games! M&M VI-VIII had nice (for the time) looking 3D-graphics with sprites, Wizardry VIII even 3D-models (the game still looks good, the price was that it's loving slow if you don't use mods to speed up the combat). The medium games had at least SNES-level graphics, and being attacked by space ladies riding air bikes in Wizardry VII was some seriously weird poo poo.

The dev of Ultima was just turning his P&P-campaigns into games, the devs of the later Wizardry-games were weird as gently caress, and I think M&M was just in love with its "pretends to be fantasy, is actually SF"-gimmick.

That's one of the reasons M&M IX was so despised: That was the game where the SF-ride finally stopped.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Wizardry creators weren't shy about the early games cribbing heavily from D&D (it has THAC0!), presumably they just didn't do the sci-fi modules. But even if they didn't have too much of the hidden futuristic early on, Wizardry 1-4 were also kind of (deliberately) goofy at parts; the first game has things like a Blade Cusinart, a Monster Allocation Center, TREBOR SUX!, and this message right outside the final boss's room:

quote:

A DISCREET SIGN ON THE WALL READS:
LAIR OF THE EVIL WIZARD WERDNA! OFFICE
HOURS 9AM TO 3PM BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
THE WIZARD IS * IN *!

The later Wizardry games starting being handled by different teams, even before the IP found extended life in Japan.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hogama posted:

The Wizardry creators weren't shy about the early games cribbing heavily from D&D (it has THAC0!), presumably they just didn't do the sci-fi modules. But even if they didn't have too much of the hidden futuristic early on, Wizardry 1-4 were also kind of (deliberately) goofy at parts; the first game has things like a Blade Cusinart, a Monster Allocation Center, TREBOR SUX!, and this message right outside the final boss's room:

The later Wizardry games starting being handled by different teams, even before the IP found extended life in Japan.

The Wizardy’s they put out in Japan now seem like they’d be fun, but there’s no way it’s worth them translating them. I’ll take all the dungeon crawlers I can get.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Getting to play alpha smash Bros melee at a gc preview event was the closest to a holy event I ever had

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TheMightyBoops posted:

The Wizardy’s they put out in Japan now seem like they’d be fun, but there’s no way it’s worth them translating them. I’ll take all the dungeon crawlers I can get.

If you haven’t played them, the Wizardry Gaiden games all have fan translations. 4 is pretty cool, they backported all the new races and class from the later Wizardry games into the classic style gameplay.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Over halfway through February and no Direct. Nintendo is over

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
leakers said that Nintendo moved the direct due to Microsoft's podcast lol

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

given ms is porting hi-fi rush and pentiment to the switch, seems worth it. they seem perfectly at home here.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

abelwingnut posted:

given ms is porting hi-fi rush and pentiment to the switch, seems worth it. they seem perfectly at home here.

They’re gonna sell like crazy, especially if they’re featured in an upcoming Nintendo Direct.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

hatty posted:

What came of that podcast? I’m Out off the loop. Is Microsoft done with consoles?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

What came of that podcast? I’m Out off the loop. Is Microsoft done with consoles?

No, they are working on a new next gen console currently, but that is still years out.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Nope.
Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment, and two other games I don't remember are going multi-platform.

Confirmed they're working on a new console.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wildtortilla posted:

yes, the wars are over

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

pooch516 posted:

Nope.
Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment, and two other games I don't remember are going multi-platform.

Confirmed they're working on a new console.

Grounded and Sea of Thieves

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SkeletonHero posted:

D&D had an entire famous module where a routine dungeoneering trip ends up leading to a crashed UFO, alien creatures, and super advanced tech.

I had that one. Owned it just for the novelty value

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

pooch516 posted:

Nope.
Pentiment...going multi-platform.

HELL YES!! :dance:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hatty posted:

I am sick of all these podcasts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

a.lo posted:

I am sick of all these podcasts

Nintendo just announced that the upcoming Switch 2 is just a podcast.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It will have 300 million subscribers and you will never hear about it in a face to face interaction with another human being.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Nintendo just announced that the upcoming Switch 2 is just a podcast.

Can’t wait to listen to Switch 2 while I play Switch 1

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m traveling over the weekend and my bag doesn’t have enough room for my Switch so I packed my DS with Chrono Trigger!! I’ve been meaning to replay it for a long time and I think it’s finally here!

:getin:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Like Dune is a great example, it's a far-future story with space travel but also psychic magic witches and swordfights and so-on.

Dune is actually not a good example. The prenatural powers are grounded in superior training, mathematical ability and copious volumes of drugs, with not a lick of psychic powers or other space magic that were common in the genre at the time. It's best understood as science fiction with the only super science involved being sociology so it feels radically different to the rest.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
idk why anyone would use dune as an example when star wars is right there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Dune is actually not a good example. The prenatural powers are grounded in superior training, mathematical ability and copious volumes of drugs, with not a lick of psychic powers or other space magic that were common in the genre at the time. It's best understood as science fiction with the only super science involved being sociology so it feels radically different to the rest.

That is absolutely incorrect. Humanity is established to have the powers of foresight as a natural thing, just a rare one. Being prescient isn't the same thing as being a Mentat. It's straight-up psychic powers. Melange has the ability to supercharge it but it's a stated plot point that it existed before Melange, but Melange is so effective (and addictive) that it renders all other methods useless.

(And that isn't even counting the stuff you can do while on Melange, like how a Reverend Mother can transform a poison into the water of life). There's a psuedoscience behind some of it but that's like saying Star Wars doesn't count because Midiclorians.

Edit: Also the non-Frank books obviously are just loving full of nonsense space magic but there's no reason to count them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 16, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Now I'm thinking how Foundation had the very smart man use math to see the future, only to have his plans dashed by a psychic.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
MvDK is so neutered compared to the original. Shame because the OG was one of my favorite games.

Nintendo I'm begging you to make a game that's the tiniest bit challenging for a person who has been playing video games for more than 6 months.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was extremely common in the 70's and 80's yeah, Terry Brooks Shannara books are actually post apocalyptic Earth where radiation mutated people into Tolkien fantasy races, Raymond Fiest's Magician books involve an invasion by inter-dimensional aliens etc

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

[gives the entire thread a simultaneous swirlie]

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m fine with “it was future earth the whole time” if it’s established, but getting hit with it as a twist is “it was all a dream” tier.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harvestella owns actually

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sakurazuka posted:

Harvestella owns actually

Yeah it does, I just wish some of the pacing was better. It feels like the game isn't really open until the end of the story.
Sure that doesn't take super long but, I dunno, maybe I was being impatient.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
hello, little croppies

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I should try Harvestella. What’s the ratio of farming to combat and how much watering before I can make a machine that does it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's basically an action rpg where instead of buying your healing items you have to grow them. Don't remember how soon you get automatic watering machines but it's definitely before the halfway point.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

It's basically an action rpg where instead of buying your healing items you have to grow them.

Oh that’s cool. I’ll try this, I feel like I see it go on sale on the eshop once and awhile.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Harvestella has also a bit of trading sim in its DNA: At some point you realize that the seeds you need to buy come in different prices, depending on region. So if you buy seeds from region A super-cheap, grow cash crops from them, you can then sell them to region B, where that poo poo is super-expensive, and make tons of money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls was alright but Samurai were just comically overpowered because they not only had a spammable AOE move but they got what was by far the most powerful weapon (Muramasa) as a rare drop (took maybe 30 minutes for me to farm one) which made the aforementioned skill turn into probably the strongest AOE in the game. I never got the DLC so maybe they tweaked things but for about 80% or so of the game it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I could use a cozy game with mild social interaction right now, and I'm starting to look at Palia. How's the gameplay loop once you get through tutorials, and what does actually playing with other people entail?