Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

No idea but Avengers/JLA is a masterwork in Perez art with a decently hokey plot to get them there with all that sort of *gee whiz* characterization that makes it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't remember the quality of the Amalgam books. Dark Claw is really the only one that I think people remember.

I'm glad to see these back though. Especially JLA/Avengers.

But the best crossover that's ever been done remains Teen Titans/X-Men

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Amalgam is as hit or miss as the rest of the 90's comics from Marvel and DC. A lot of it depends on your familiarity with and fondness for the characters.

Either you're all in for Etrigan, Ghost Rider, and The Flash getting mushed together and actually kind of working, or you have a lot of Wonder Woman and Elektra as CIA operatives to suffer through.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Years ago I found a second copy of a DC/Marvel crossover tpb which had that X-Men/Teen Titans crossover. My fave though was the Spiderman/Superman crossover which mentioned that they lived on the same world and Supes just never had time to see what Spiderman was up to.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That's awesome news, I figured it'd probably never happen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

That's awesome news, I figured it'd probably never happen.

DiDio and Quesada both being gone from places of power probably helped.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

No idea but Avengers/JLA is a masterwork in Perez art with a decently hokey plot to get them there with all that sort of *gee whiz* characterization that makes it good.

Their reactions to each other's legacy in their respective universes are great, especially what it ultimately says about the Marvel universe.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What are the reactions?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bring back Generation Hex.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have the original trades of Crossover Classics 1-4, Marvel vs DC and all four of the Amalgam trades. But this makes me happy for higher quality printings. The early trades aren't the greatest.

What I need is All Access and Unlimited Access. Never collected at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 13, 2024

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Mr Hootington posted:

What are the reactions?

If it is the one I remember, whatever caused the crossover made characters more in time with their universes to exaggerate a bit, so captain America saw the perfect-ish DC universe where people make museums and monuments to the heroes as an example of secret fascism, while Superman saw the marvel universe with the inequalities sand loving marvel Canada she was disgusted by the heroes being unwilling or incapable of making the world a better place.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Siegkrow posted:

If it is the one I remember, whatever caused the crossover made characters more in time with their universes to exaggerate a bit, so captain America saw the perfect-ish DC universe where people make museums and monuments to the heroes as an example of secret fascism, while Superman saw the marvel universe with the inequalities sand loving marvel Canada she was disgusted by the heroes being unwilling or incapable of making the world a better place.

Yeah, that's the gist.

At the end they all realize they're about equal and the same in terms of effort but the Marvel universe just doesn't appreciate its heroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's official!

quote:

Burbank, February 13, 2024 — The vast and varied history of DC versus Marvel returns to print for the first time in decades with two massive volumes collecting the universe-bending comic book crossovers between the greatest characters in pop culture! These fantastic stories, originally co-presented by the two powerhouse comic book publishers, have been highly sought after and hard to find for most readers—but they’re making their return in DC Versus Marvel Omnibus and DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus, both publishing on August 6, 2024.

Who would win: Superman versus Spider-Man? Batman versus Captain America? The X-Men meeting the Teen Titans? DC Versus Marvel Omnibus collects crossovers between the core DC and Marvel characters, from 1976’s Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man to 2000’s Batman/Daredevil. Included are stories from some of comics’ most revered talents, namely Dennis O’Neil, George Pérez, Dan Jurgens, Chris Claremont, Walter Simonson, J.M. DeMatteis, Mark Bagley, Gerry Conway, John Romita Jr., and more. DC and Marvel fans alike can’t miss these thrilling pieces of unearthed comic book history!

DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus features stories, first told in 1996, of the two superhero universes fused together into a new Amalgam Universe, combining DC’s and Marvel’s heroes, villains, and mythologies. The result was a series of unforgettable one-shot comic books starring the likes of Dark Claw (Batman and Wolverine), Super Soldier (Superman and Captain America), Iron Lantern (Iron Man and Green Lantern), and many more! These stories, from creators such as Peter David, Dan Jurgens, Mark Waid, Dave Gibbons, Ron Marz, José Luis García-López, Gary Frank, Bill Sienkiewicz, Claudio Castellini, and more, represent one of the most fun and unlikely periods in comic book history, and now are available in one omnibus. Included in this volume are the historic DC Versus Marvel miniseries and its sequels, perfect for fans of both DC and Marvel!

DC Versus Marvel Omnibus collects Batman/Captain America #1, Batman/Daredevil #1, Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire #1, Batman/Spider-Man #1, Daredevil/Batman #1, DC Special Series #27, Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger #1, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances #1, Incredible Hulk vs. Superman #1, Marvel and DC Present Featuring the Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans #1, Marvel Treasury Edition #28, Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights #1, Silver Surfer/Superman #1, Spider-Man and Batman #1, Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man #1, and Superman/Fantastic Four #1.

DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus collects DC Versus Marvel #1-4, DC/Marvel: All Access #1-4, Unlimited Access #1-4, Bat-Thing #1, Bruce Wayne: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, Bullets and Bracelets #1, Challengers of the Fantastic #1, Doctor Strangefate #1, Iron Lantern #1, Legends of the Dark Claw #1, Lobo the Duck #1, Speed Demon #1, Spider-Boy #1, Super Soldier #1, Thorion of the New Asgods #1, X-Patrol #1, and more, plus a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes material.

DC Versus Marvel Omnibus (9781779523259) and DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus (9781779523266) will both be published on August 6. The two volumes will each have a direct-market-exclusive cover available only in local comic book shops, while supplies last.

About DC

DC, a Warner Bros. Discovery Company, creates iconic characters, enduring stories, and immersive experiences that inspire and entertain audiences of every generation around the world and is one of the world’s largest publishers of comics and graphic novels. As a creative division, DC is charged with strategically integrating its stories and characters across film, television, consumer products, home entertainment, interactive games, and the DC Universe Infinite digital subscription service and community engagement portal. For more information visit dc.com. © 2024 DC

About Marvel
Marvel is one of the world’s most prominent entertainment brands, built on an unparalleled library of iconic characters and stories that have shaped pop culture for 85 years. The Marvel brand spans entertainment, including film, television, publishing, licensing, games, live events, digital media, and more. For more information visit marvel.com. © 2024 MARVEL

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/02/13/dc-marvel-omnibuse-summer-2024/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Well that's gonna break the bank

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm hoping this means future crossovers are possible down the road. And maybe another printing of JLA/Avengers.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just setting the stage for the 2030 Secret Crisis teased in Doomsday Clock!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Both are peaking or running close, so do X-Men vs Titans again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Good to see Ben Affleck starring in this week's Batman. Sorrentino dresses it up much much nicer than Land or Larocca but tracing is tracing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Tracing, Steven universe, or anime. These are the 3 styles of art now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ooh, omnibuses. That's brutal, but honestly probably one of the few things that'll get me to buy another omnibus. I love my Fourth World one, but they really are kind of a pain to read.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darkseid vs. Galactus is well worth the read.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I can't wait for my X-men 2099 Omnibus. If that gets printed anything can happen.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

catlord posted:

Ooh, omnibuses. That's brutal, but honestly probably one of the few things that'll get me to buy another omnibus. I love my Fourth World one, but they really are kind of a pain to read.

I bought the ROM omnibus on Kindle and it's delightful

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Beerdeer posted:

I bought the ROM omnibus on Kindle and it's delightful

Romnibus

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Digital omnibuses should be offered for all titles as a default

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have to wonder if these omnis will be released digitally. One company tends to do so and the other does not. I guess we'll see.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh for gently caress sake. Well add another log on the pile of Joker's origins in this week's Batman. This one being Joker gets trained by one of Batman's (and Ghostmaker's) last trainers who helped him master his fear and emotions (including developing nestled personalities like Zur En Arh) and tried to get him to kill. Bats rebuked him and now he recruits a still developing Joker to be the force of chaos to challenge Batman. Joker develops his own personas. Three of them.

Zdarsky does some good stuff, but this? This is getting too indulgent with the Joker jacking off. It's getting as bad as the Batgod stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was all the way on the Zdarsky train with the failsafe story but now I'm all the way off it. I just can't take any more loving stories about how incredibly complex/evil/greatest villain ever the motherfucking Joker is.

Of course I say that but I also love the current arc in Action Comics where the world gets Bizarro-fied and Superman seeks out Joker to help him be sane

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

People keep trying to explain why the Joker is the way he is when Morrison already came up with the perfect explanation. Just stop trying and let it go.

I like Zdarsky but his whole Batman run has been pretty bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I was all the way on the Zdarsky train with the failsafe story but now I'm all the way off it. I just can't take any more loving stories about how incredibly complex/evil/greatest villain ever the motherfucking Joker is.

Of course I say that but I also love the current arc in Action Comics where the world gets Bizarro-fied and Superman seeks out Joker to help him be sane

Reverse Jokers are honestly fun because each writer has their own idea what a sane or properly heroic Joker looks like and it's still fairly fresh compared to Reverse Batmen which are basically a dime a dozen at this point and has essentially peaked with the Batman Who Laughs. It's played out.

City of Madness also ended and is probably non-canon as it posits its own vision of the Joker that doesn't really mesh with anything, but it's a neat diversion nonetheless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh for gently caress sake. Well add another log on the pile of Joker's origins in this week's Batman. This one being Joker gets trained by one of Batman's (and Ghostmaker's) last trainers who helped him master his fear and emotions (including developing nestled personalities like Zur En Arh) and tried to get him to kill. Bats rebuked him and now he recruits a still developing Joker to be the force of chaos to challenge Batman. Joker develops his own personas. Three of them.

Zdarsky does some good stuff, but this? This is getting too indulgent with the Joker jacking off. It's getting as bad as the Batgod stuff.

So that's why he deleted his Four Jokers tweet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman and Robin has been quite delightful with Bruce actually trying to be a normal dad instead of some obsessed psychopath. I mean it is quite a radical change of character compared to how he is in every other book but it's nice seeing Bruce trying to be just a regular dad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

See, I'm lukewarm on the Joker Year One stuff but I can't stand the Bizarro arc. It has a semi-novel pitch in the first part (Superman is vulnerable to magic, so Bizarro is a natural at wielding magic and getting boosted by it) and then when everyone gets Bizzaro-fied it doesn't seem like anything was thought out in any coherent way and it's just a bunch of clever/shocking/'clever'/'shocking' vignettes of how wild and uncrazy a Bizarro Not-World or unwild and crazy a not Unbizzarro Opposite of World would never not unbe and then even that incoherent proposition is set aside to do the big badass Joker reveal at the end of the second issue.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Why can’t Joker just be a clown who thinks crime is funny? Why do writers need him to be significantly more complex?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Why can’t Joker just be a clown who thinks crime is funny? Why do writers need him to be significantly more complex?

Same reason as why Batman just can't be a guy who fights crime with his wits and gadgets.

Edge & Christian posted:

See, I'm lukewarm on the Joker Year One stuff but I can't stand the Bizarro arc. It has a semi-novel pitch in the first part (Superman is vulnerable to magic, so Bizarro is a natural at wielding magic and getting boosted by it) and then when everyone gets Bizzaro-fied it doesn't seem like anything was thought out in any coherent way and it's just a bunch of clever/shocking/'clever'/'shocking' vignettes of how wild and uncrazy a Bizarro Not-World or unwild and crazy a not Unbizzarro Opposite of World would never not unbe and then even that incoherent proposition is set aside to do the big badass Joker reveal at the end of the second issue.

It honestly feels like a thing that might've been pitched as a crossover event, but was downgraded to an arc because there wasn't enough ideas for stories in it, so all of the ideas just get shoveled into this one arc and stitched together haphazardly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Batman and Robin has been quite delightful with Bruce actually trying to be a normal dad instead of some obsessed psychopath. I mean it is quite a radical change of character compared to how he is in every other book but it's nice seeing Bruce trying to be just a regular dad.

Him getting excited watching Damian try out for soccer was :3:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

thetoughestbean posted:

I agree that for me going back to the past and lore and stuff like these guys Snyder, Hickman etc always do is a pet peeve. The retcons and extra nutty stuff, sometimes there's an elegance in simplicity for sure.

That said, on Joker's characterization, I do think there's a bit more to him as a villain than that. And even going back to 70s stuff, the guy has often been pretty scary, and I don't always think finding stuff funny is his sole motivation. He often has quite a sourpuss on at times even in classic comics.

I personally also really like the take on Killing Joke, so I think that's the Joker in my headcanon. So I guess a maniac who does ponder things a little bit, I dunno, I'm not the writer here, not sure how to keep Joker fresh for the next 100 years. But I think stuff like him being bored or dejected or trying different things etc seems interesting for example.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

:hmmyes:

I was pretty hopeful for this Aaron run, but so far it has been a big disappointment. Bizarro is one of my favorite DC characters but I much prefer the fun humor based take vs the edgy mean spirited take. Classic Deadpool "OK, this is my serious arc" mistake.

Batman Off-world is still solid at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like the layer of pathos and some life drama stuff in Deadpool, but there is a balance. Right from the beginning of Kelly's run it looked cartoony but could get quite heavy, which is a nice vibe.