Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pryce posted:

I understand why they did it and I can't disagree with the decision, but I do miss the 8-man versions since it was a larger group to chat with/gently caress around with during the 10-minute cutscenes. Felt like there was a lot more joking around with the larger groups; ever since it turned into a 4-man it became ghostly silent. Maybe I've just been unlucky though.
That has been my experience as well, TBH. Praetorium sometimes gets veterans talking about the old version, and making fun of Nero and Gaius in those lengthy cutscenes, but during the earlier parts and usually for all of Castrum Meridianum and Porta Decumana, it's no different or worse than in regular dungeons ie. if you're lucky you get "hello/gg". And because there's no loot, everyone just rushes the exit, like in story trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I always wait til everyone is done with cutscenes because I'm fishing for comms.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After you've run something 30+ times I don't blame people for just wanting to get through it as quick as possible.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I will always remember the castrum run where the tank went on a WILD rant about Livia for the entirety of the final cutscene. Other than that the run was pretty normal.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm gucci with quick and dirty runs of main scenario now. It finally feels worth it

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I miss Cape Westwind being a trial. Or more specifically, I miss hyping up the fight as being the toughest to newbies.

Now it legitimately is a proper fight as a solo duty.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pryce posted:

I understand why they did it and I can't disagree with the decision, but I do miss the 8-man versions since it was a larger group to chat with/gently caress around with during the 10-minute cutscenes. Felt like there was a lot more joking around with the larger groups; ever since it turned into a 4-man it became ghostly silent. Maybe I've just been unlucky though.

More people also meant seeing more goofy costumes. I do kind of miss it too.

Not 8-man meridium though. Between Cid being buggy, people forgetting to interact with the shinies, and the real terrible bosses 8-man meridium is definitely trash.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I reached the end of ARR right after the Hatching Tide where they gave away the Chicken suit so I got the 8-person Castrum and Prae filled with chickens

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

More people also meant seeing more goofy costumes. I do kind of miss it too.

Not 8-man meridium though. Between Cid being buggy, people forgetting to interact with the shinies, and the real terrible bosses 8-man meridium is definitely trash.

I dunno, I appreciated the feeling of chaos as 8 people dash around loving things up, causing big explosions, pulling absurd numbers of enemies (and sometimes dying for it). It was a very unique experience and the remade Castrum Meridium feels kinda lifeless. Also, now we never get to fight (or even see?) Livia on her iconic white Reaper mech, which was, like, her "thing."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I will always remember the castrum run where the tank went on a WILD rant about Livia for the entirety of the final cutscene. Other than that the run was pretty normal.
I do so much shitposting during the cutscenes, it's exactly why I still enjoy CM and Prae.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i have fun in prae. yelling GET IN THE ROBOT SHINJI during the middle bit etc

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like in Castrum the cutscenes are long enough to be annoying but not long enough to go and grab a drink or get some good shitposting going.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i have fun in prae. yelling GET IN THE ROBOT SHINJI during the middle bit etc
"Mom, Dad, please stop fighting" is a joke one of my FC friends made during the Nero/Cid cutscene and I've stolen it a few times.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, I appreciated the feeling of chaos as 8 people dash around loving things up, causing big explosions, pulling absurd numbers of enemies (and sometimes dying for it). It was a very unique experience and the remade Castrum Meridium feels kinda lifeless.

you should check out eureka and bozja

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got to 50 (though my main story quests are still upper level 20's) and unlocked Samurai and Red Mage. Samurai is fun with the positional stuff and the abilities (at least at level 50) really fit nice conceptually on the cross bar since I can position the abilities to correspond to their positional requirements or which ability they combo off of with the LT+RT hold toggle layout switch. Though there doesn't seem to be a good 3-step front facing combo for solo work. I guess you can still use the 3rd combo step, but you don't get the positional boost to potency.

Red mage seems really complicated with a lot of temporary buffs to reduce cast time, white/black bars you have to keep track of, ability combos, and cast time interrupts you have to avoid since it's a spellcasting class. Not a huge fan of it in the short time I played with it. Samurai seemed to "click" much better for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Red Mage is one of the simpler DPS jobs to glom despite its outward-facing complexity: you use one of your fast casting spells to gain the Dualcast buff, which then lets you cast one of the slower casting spells instantly, alternating between White and Black spell schools to keep the two bars in balance. Once both bars are sufficiently high, you can execute your melee combo to reset your bars and repeat. It's a very straightforwards rotation once you get the hang of it, which may or may not be to your liking depending on how much complexity you like in your gameplay.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I also found Red Mage kind of overwhelming at first but it quickly snapped into focus and it's now my main class. My general tips:

• If you don't have Verfire Ready/Verstone Ready, cast Jolt, then dualcast into whichever spell has the lower mana.
  • If you do have one of the Ready buffs, cast that, then dualcast into whichever spell has the lower mana.
  • Use Acceleration more-or-less on cooldown.
  • Don't unbalance your gauge. If you're getting close to unbalancing it, it's ok to drop a little DPS or negate a buff by casting the correct type of spell.

It's got a really fun rhythm to it once you get it though, and after a while keeping your gauge balanced becomes pretty second-nature. It's super satisfying at high levels to leap towards the boss, carve them up with your sword, and then drop a series of huge explosions before backflipping back out to start casting again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Agreed that Red Mage is a fun job that's simple once you get the hang of it but requires learning several concepts at once.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yall have intrigued me to the RDM that i have not really touched. Thanks, i got a weekend project

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’ve found that a big downside with the later starting classes is that because they get all their abilities at once (and have them dumped onto the hot bars in order of acquisition by level), it means you have to spend a bunch of time rebinding, reading everything carefully, and effectively deducing the class from first principles.

Red mage took me a bit to grasp and I never really started levelling it, but the idea seems to be that you never want to hard cast anything with a spell timer. Instead, you weave black and white spells between casts of Bolt, which gives you a swift cast state after each cast.

Counter-intuitively too, you actually swap your normal binding positions for melee with the magic buttons, because the melee is the burst phase.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just as a small heads up, you’ll also probably want to learn to get in the habit of leaving your black/white meters slightly imbalanced before that becomes a core part of their gameplay at 70+.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I’ve found that a big downside with the later starting classes is that because they get all their abilities at once (and have them dumped onto the hot bars in order of acquisition by level), it means you have to spend a bunch of time rebinding, reading everything carefully, and effectively deducing the class from first principles.

Red mage took me a bit to grasp and I never really started levelling it, but the idea seems to be that you never want to hard cast anything with a spell timer. Instead, you weave black and white spells between casts of Bolt, which gives you a swift cast state after each cast.

Counter-intuitively too, you actually swap your normal binding positions for melee with the magic buttons, because the melee is the burst phase.

Once you've unlocked a class you can dip into Palace of the Dead with it for an admittedly grindy way to learn what it's like to build the class up from basics. It's like learning an ARR class but faster!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

On the other hand, Palace of the Dead loving sucks and is boring poo poo.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Using two hotbars just for tracking cooldowns and procs made red mage so much easier for me. Just a quick glance to the left of my character gives me so much information. I don't really need the Jolt icon but I had it there when I took the pic to remind myself i was in content that allowed the finisher combo.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IMO one of the more interesting bits about RDM is that Dualcast works with any spell with a cast time. The most common application of this is RDM being able to cast more Raises Per Second than any other job, but it also means, for example, being able to gain and spend dualcast on spell Lost Actions in Bozja.

Really fun class, it's my favorite magic dps.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Regalingualius posted:

Just as a small heads up, you’ll also probably want to learn to get in the habit of leaving your black/white meters slightly imbalanced before that becomes a core part of their gameplay at 70+.

???

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

If your meters are unbalanced when you cast verholy or verflare, you will get an associated verstone/verfire proc. If they are balanced, you do not.

IE, if your black is higher than your white, and you cast verholy, you get verstone ready.

There's still a sweet spot you want to be in, so you don't want 80 white 20 dark or the like, but you don't want to be perfectly balanced.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If your meters are unbalanced when you cast verholy or verflare, you will get an associated verstone/verfire proc. If they are balanced, you do not.

IE, if your black is higher than your white, and you cast verholy, you get verstone ready.

Oh huh, I assumed that was just a random proc chance! Good to know!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It is a random proc chance otherwise, but it's guaranteed if you line it up.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
And by unbalanced it only means they need a difference of 1. No need to go horribly lopsided to ensure procs.

Edit: 2 White and 3 Black is enough difference to get Verstone Ready from Verholy, for example.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You do still have a chance of getting a free proc of the element if your meters are balanced/you cast from the dominant color, but it’s only 20% compared to the guaranteed one.

Also, yeah, you really don’t want to let your meters get super out of whack, because all of your meter generation shits the bed if they ever get too far apart.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

"Mom, Dad, please stop fighting" is a joke one of my FC friends made during the Nero/Cid cutscene and I've stolen it a few times.

"SAY THE LINE, GAIUS" is one I tend to use in Porta Decumana.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

On the other hand, Palace of the Dead loving sucks and is boring poo poo.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

"It's a boy!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like making TLDR guides for jobs but I’ve still not managed to make something easier or less clunky for Red Mage than the one split into three separate images.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazinsal posted:

"SAY THE LINE, GAIUS" is one I tend to use in Porta Decumana.

I donno, I think he might have intended it this time.

"If you need amusement while waiting, imagine Nero climbing through the rafters figuring out where to hang the hammer. There's a little bit of masking tape on the floor." got me a lot of comms back in the day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"THE TENDERIZER!" is my go-to for that one

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've made jokes about a death claw just hanging out up there ready to drop the hammer, which is still my go-to mental image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nero Speech Ends: "Long have I endured this cutscene, but no more."

Gaius Speech Begins: "It's the most wonderful time of the day!"

Every single time. I am but a humble roulette-smith peddling my wares.