Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Top down co op shooter, with full and very very deadly friendly fire. You drop in to combat zones in drop pods after choosing a loadout (including things like deployable turrets that can kill you), and accomplish whatever objectives before calling for evac. The evac can kill you. The game leans really hard into the Starship Troopers comedic insane nationalism angle, and everyone gets cool capes.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The recently released sequel takes it to a third person over the shoulder view but maintains the silliness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Top down co op shooter, with full and very very deadly friendly fire. You drop in to combat zones in drop pods after choosing a loadout (including things like deployable turrets that can kill you), and accomplish whatever objectives before calling for evac. The evac can kill you. The game leans really hard into the Starship Troopers comedic insane nationalism angle, and everyone gets cool capes.

The sequel is a behind the shoulder shooter more like mass effect, just as deadly though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Sounds like it has some EDF vibes

but does Helldivers have a singing button?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Crowetron posted:

but does Helldivers have a singing button?

Sorry, too busy singing the praises of DEMOCRACY while fighting killer robots and endless swarms of bugs.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can yell at the enemy to have a nice cup of DEMOCRA-TEA, which feels close enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"The enemy" being one of three alien races that you're constantly at war with in 3 fronts, and when you win one of the wars you just start another.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know it's part of the series' whole shtick, but I love it every time a Metal Gear character talks about videogame mechanics to me without breaking character. I'm finally playing MGS1 several decades after it came out, and I got to the point where a hostage forgets the codec frequency to contact someone, then goes "oh, right - you can just find it on the back of the CD case". And sure enough, I can just flip around the game's virtual manual to see it in that same game art :unsmith:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it's part of the series' whole shtick, but I love it every time a Metal Gear character talks about videogame mechanics to me without breaking character. I'm finally playing MGS1 several decades after it came out, and I got to the point where a hostage forgets the codec frequency to contact someone, then goes "oh, right - you can just find it on the back of the CD case". And sure enough, I can just flip around the game's virtual manual to see it in that same game art :unsmith:

Hahaha, that one tripped up so many people, since if I remember right, the same guy who tells you that also gives you a disc in game.
So many people spent so long trying to figure out how to look at that disc.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I love that the Riddler puzzles in the Arkham games are not presented as some sort of real-world problem to be solved. Usually devs try to include the plot conceit that this color matching minigame is somehow breaking the encryption on an ancient alien supercomputer or whatever, but here you have to solve puzzles because you are being harassed by an insane puzzle nerd.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pulsarcat posted:

Hahaha, that one tripped up so many people, since if I remember right, the same guy who tells you that also gives you a disc in game.

Yeah, the optical disc! I hadn't even thought about that adding another level of confusion, coming in knowing about the game after the fact. It's a big one I wish I could experience fresh, the Psycho Mantis stuff would've blown my mind.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ms Adequate posted:

Sounds like it has some EDF vibes

It's pretty EDFish, it's goofiness is in a different direction. My favorite weapons is the machine gun because my character just screams louder and louder the longer I hold the button down. They also yell stupid poo poo like "Freedom never dies!" after getting body slammed by a bug the size of an elephant.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, the optical disc! I hadn't even thought about that adding another level of confusion, coming in knowing about the game after the fact. It's a big one I wish I could experience fresh, the Psycho Mantis stuff would've blown my mind.

As someone who played MGS1 right after it came out, it's hard to overstate how cool the Psycho Mantis stuff was.
Him using his amazing powers to move your controller across the table, then later figuring out that you needed to switch which port you pluged the controller into stop him from dodging.

Mantis reading your memory card mind was fantastic.
I just started laughing when he commented on how I enjoyed Suikoden and Azure Dreams.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nameless Pete posted:

I love that the Riddler puzzles in the Arkham games are not presented as some sort of real-world problem to be solved. Usually devs try to include the plot conceit that this color matching minigame is somehow breaking the encryption on an ancient alien supercomputer or whatever, but here you have to solve puzzles because you are being harassed by an insane puzzle nerd.

There's even NPC dialog about how they keep stumbling over weird question mark trophies and almost getting killed by question-mark-themed deathtraps

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pulsarcat posted:

As someone who played MGS1 right after it came out, it's hard to overstate how cool the Psycho Mantis stuff was.
Him using his amazing powers to move your controller across the table, then later figuring out that you needed to switch which port you pluged the controller into stop him from dodging.

I just started laughing when he commented on how I enjoyed Suikoden and Azure Dreams.

Imagine if he could see MGS 2 and 3 data in the rereleases and package deals. "Ah! You can see into the future? Your power rivals my own!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Imagine if he could see MGS 2 and 3 data in the rereleases and package deals. "Ah! You can see into the future? Your power rivals my own!"

3 isn't exactly the future...

Extra lol if the various remakes updated the dialogue, for every platform.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In the Japanese version you'd get a hidden thank you message from Hideo Kojima if you had both Snatcher and Policenauts saves on your memory card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zkhE4Y-kg

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pulsarcat posted:

Lmao all his gimmicks are great but when he reeled off all the other Konami games you'd played it was just peak.

E; Appreciate the info on Helldivers, goons!

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

I just realised you can pass cards between different characters in Slay The Spire. I thought the hole in the wall was just for saving a card for later if it didn't fit your build, but I finally decided to take the Defend I put in there on one of my first runs, and it's a different colour?! Coooool!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Some more Helldivers things:

In the tutorial, there's one point where you have to crawl under machinegun fire. If you get hit (and of course instantly killed) by the gunfire you restart that bit of the tutorial, but the corpse of your previous guy doesn't get cleaned up and just stays there. If you keep dying you just build up a huge pile of bodies in what's just a training ground, which fits the tone of the game perfectly.

You get to name your ship, but it has to be from a set of pre-defined words in the "X of Y" format, so you have all sorts of corny poo poo like the "Fist of Patriotism", "Sword of Truth", "Hammer of Family Values" or "Herald of Individual Merit". I considered naming my ship the "SES Dawn of Dawn" but went with something more boring in the end.

Also, the robot faction's patrols sing as they wander the maps :allears:

And of course you can't forget the intro cinematic, which is a pitch-perfect combo of both Starship Troopers and army recruitment ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9STizATKjE

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I had never really heard of hell divers or the sequel, but this is really making me want to play the new one at least

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

HD 2 is a surprise hit for me, we've been playing it for 10 hours now and blasting aliens is either tactical precision work of frantic panic, no in between. There's many little details that make it work so well, and killing your own teammates because your grenade from the launcher bounced off of an aliens head directly into them never gets old. Yesterday we had a perfect run slightly soured by one of us getting squashed by the escape shuttle because he didn't pay attention :allears:

My favorite current thing is that the Terminator robots mission of extraction civilians is (I assume) bugged so that you get absolutely pounded by endless waves of new troops, which are also resistant to normal weapons and tough as balls. We did this mission as our second ever mission and got completely destroyed. 9 levels later we decided to get revenge and got ground to dust because they just. Keep. Coming.

And it's in the dark, in a jungle, and the robots are red eyes murderbots with chainsaw arms. It's legit unsettling.

What a game, such a great time.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I had never really heard of hell divers or the sequel, but this is really making me want to play the new one at least

The only review I read online says it makes you install some insane spyware from a third party that you will have a difficult time uninstalling, in the name of anti-cheat. But don't worry the third party program run by some random foreign corporation promises not to just keylog your whole life when you install it.

Idk I might be paranoid but no thanks.

BigHead has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Feb 17, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BigHead posted:

The only review I read online says it makes you install some insane spyware from a third party that you will have a difficult time uninstalling, in the name of anti-cheat. But don't worry the third party program run by some random foreign corporation promises not to just keylog your whole life when you install it.

It's gameguard. You probably won't have a difficult time uninstalling it, but it is really weird that they used it because it's old, not particularly effective, and generally just sucks and causes more problems than it solves. It's an old favorite of japanese MMOs like PSO2. It's basically on par with every other lovely DRM thing companies still use like easy anti-cheat and the like.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BigHead posted:

You have to have Steam to run the game, yeah

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anti-cheats drag down most video games with them imo. You'd be able to play as CJ from San Andreas on day one if anti-cheat weren't such a walled garden of a thing!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

Anti-cheats drag down most video games with them imo. You'd be able to play as CJ from San Andreas on day one if anti-cheat weren't such a walled garden of a thing!

Seriously, who the hell cares about cheating in a coop game? You are going to be playing with friends anyway so you can just tell them off if they do some bullshit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha Gameguard, what a blast from the past. All the terrible KMMOs used that too and it never worked, all it did was gently caress with average/honest users while cheaters blatantly botted the gently caress out of those games 24/7.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hel posted:

Seriously, who the hell cares about cheating in a coop game? You are going to be playing with friends anyway so you can just tell them off if they do some bullshit.

People who want to sell you cosmetics, presumably.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hel posted:

the excuse I usually see is that it prevents malicious people from loving with your machine after they connect to you, which isn't nothing

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

flatluigi posted:

the excuse I usually see is that it prevents malicious people from loving with your machine after they connect to you, which isn't nothing

Sure , but once again, most people are going to play with their friends that they hopefully can trust at least somewhat, but also stuff like anti cheat opens up more way for people to gently caress with your computer.
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/research/22/h/ransomware-actor-abuses-genshin-impact-anti-cheat-driver-to-kill-antivirus.html

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In EDF it was possible for people in pub games to use cheatengine to tell the game “Yes, I picked up $MAX_INT health upgrades and weapon drops this mission”, which would then be awarded to everyone once the mission was over. It could be pretty annoying if you wanted to play the game for real! But those people pretty much all stopped playing after a week, so I don’t think it would have been worth making everyone install some anticheat for that.

It sounds like Helldivers is more of a gaas/battlepass/microtransaction thing? I would assume that’s the real reason they care.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hel posted:

I heard the given reason is that hackers don't interfere with the global campaign/metagame of % liberated.

I don't think it is a good reason, but it seems the game is good enough that most people don't care about the anti-cheat.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ms Adequate posted:

Lmao all his gimmicks are great but when he reeled off all the other Konami games you'd played it was just peak.
You like Castlevania, don't you?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
EDF is fun, I wish the game was better.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ichiban is kinda something like Luffy levels of 'excellent social intelligence, rock stupid in almost everything else'. That said, in 7 I remember him having quite a few moments of cunning and logic that surprise and impress people, and he does well with the business management. And one of his signature stats is Intelligence, in some ways he might be one of the most intellectual Yakuza protagonists.

I think the trick is that he's also extremely passionate, impulsive and sentimental, as well as being canonically a little unhinged, so he's prone to making hilariously dumb snap decisions.
I've been realizing Ichiban is similar to Waymond in Everything Everywhere All At Once where what people see as gullible or stupid is partly a gamble that they are well aware they're taking. They know it could backfire but they're willing to take the chance anyways.

I have been loving Infinite Wealth but can't post in the thread because I don't have the willpower to skip all the spoilers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

It sounds like Helldivers is more of a gaas/battlepass/microtransaction thing? I would assume that’s the real reason they care.

Helldivers has microtransactions and a battle pass but you can earn/find premium currency through just normal playing and you pay for the premium battle pass with premium currency so if you play a lot you don't actually have to put any money in. Like I've only been playing off and on since Wednesday and I already have a quarter of the amount needed for the premium battle pass.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Supposedly, the battlepasses are never going to go away either. They will always be available to buy in the store and once you buy one it will never go away so you can take as long as you want to work on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pulsarcat posted:

That was also during a time when many people were renting the game from Blockbuster and had no case.

1stGear posted:

Supposedly, the battlepasses are never going to go away either. They will always be available to buy in the store and once you buy one it will never go away so you can take as long as you want to work on it.

Someone else may have done it before, but Halo Infinite is the first big game to do it and I hope it catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finally getting around to Tomb Raider 3, I have got partway into the second level the Temple Ruins. I like the enemy escalation so far, I've already fought a giant statue, which is amusing. Not a fan of the status effect snakes though.