Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Vib Rib posted:

This must be a joke

Nope, FTB:I gates platinum and palladium behind the Chaos Guardian. Apparently they changed Astral Sorcery's Mantle of Stars to greatly nerf the Chaos Guardian's chaos element attacks, but it's still just the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen. And it's a hard block for anybody playing the pack who doesn't want to deal with it, as you can't change pack difficulty and the Chaos Guardian can kill you even in creative.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

the Chaos Guardian can kill you even in creative.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol that's loving stupid

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you don't want people to play your modpack, just say so

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Update:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 11, 2024

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Finally got the tinker's slimesling in GT:NH and what the hell, it sucks. What happened to the incredible overpowered slimesling I remember? :negative:

What was that one two-item combo where they both lowered your friction but if you used both at the same time they interacted in a way that would just absolutely send you flying hundreds of thousands of blocks in a second

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend a modpack that is a pretty simple and chill experience? I've been trying a bunch but they don't seem to fit exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like to just chill, build some cool looking buildings, farms, mining shafts, etc. Have some sort of low tech engineering like maybe just steam or water powered mechanics to make irrigation or canals, extra poo poo to build, and some dungeons and skill progression. A cherry on top would be maybe some town building and npc trading.

A lot of mods I've tried have some variation of these but I'm not trying to grind for hours to get some part for a nuke generator or something crazy. Just want to relax after work and disappear into a little world I can build and fight in.

Maybe there's a mod like this someone is using and can recommend or was thinking of smashing a bunch of mods together to make what I'd like but I wouldn't know where to start.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
GT:NH has gotten down to a slow slog and I'm not even out of LV yet. Feels like 70% of my play time is just spent running between chests plucking out items. Omnifactory putting AE relatively early was more of a godsend than I ever realized, and GT's much more limited power and item distribution is hitting hard. Even with backpacks my inventory feels constantly limited so I'm making frequent trips to the mines and not coming back with as much as I'd like. I know this is mostly my fault -- I know that batch processing is important in GT, and here far more than even Omnifactory it makes sense to make whole stacks of wires, circuits, etc. I know that if I just did more at once instead of tiny bits here and there I'd have to spend way less in the interim, but I keep waiting for that one moment of calm between all the spinning plates where I can deal with the stuff I've been putting off. Hell I haven't looked into cropsticks or even harvestcraft stuff because there's always a coke oven or primitive blast furnace that needs restocking.

I do wish it was a little more clear on the best ways to get certain early materials. Lithium is an 11% side effect on spudomene or some such, which means I'll need to process over ~100 just to do the quest.
With so, so many recipes in NEI, most of them either reprocessing, recycling, or some weird hosed up method no one would ever use, it feels like I often have to search through pages just to find the one "intended" recipe in a chain. If a quest doesn't explicitly tell me how I'm supposed to get something it's a cointoss if I'll overlook the right way to do it while browsing recipes on my own.
On that point: Where do you get silicon at this point? I guess I have to process silicon dioxide with manganese? I've got quests asking for silicon but nothing pointed me towards where to get it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

GT:NH has gotten down to a slow slog and I'm not even out of LV yet. Feels like 70% of my play time is just spent running between chests plucking out items. Omnifactory putting AE relatively early was more of a godsend than I ever realized, and GT's much more limited power and item distribution is hitting hard. Even with backpacks my inventory feels constantly limited so I'm making frequent trips to the mines and not coming back with as much as I'd like. I know this is mostly my fault -- I know that batch processing is important in GT, and here far more than even Omnifactory it makes sense to make whole stacks of wires, circuits, etc. I know that if I just did more at once instead of tiny bits here and there I'd have to spend way less in the interim, but I keep waiting for that one moment of calm between all the spinning plates where I can deal with the stuff I've been putting off. Hell I haven't looked into cropsticks or even harvestcraft stuff because there's always a coke oven or primitive blast furnace that needs restocking.

In terms of chest hell/tedium, there's a few things you can do to make it a little easier. I've forgotten if I've already mentioned any of these, so I'm just going to make like an old person and tell the same drat stories I always tell again.

* Use the T key. If you're in NEI, and you hover over an item and press T, it will dump you out of the UI and display sparkly things on each inventory nearby that has that item. Given the sheer breadth of items in GTNH, this functionality is essential before AE2.
* Make a TiCon crafting table, and put the biggest chest you can make next to it. The TiCon crafting table can pull items from adjacent chests. Load the chest up with stuff you use a lot (circuits, circuit components, tools) and it'll save you a lot of time.
* Forestry Worktables are also good for recipes requiring tools.

* Automate the coke ovens. The easiest way is to use XU's retrieval nodes. There's one for items and one for fluids. Put one of these on a chest/barrel or fluid container (fluid trash can), and it will pull from an arbitrarily large number of inventories connected by XU's transfer pipes and dump them to their connected inventory. It's not fast, but neither are coke ovens. I believe you can use the same transfer pipe for both retrieval nodes. You can use regular transfer nodes to fill the coke ovens the same way, but in reverse. If that's too expensive, then use hoppers and tin/brass item pipes and pump covers/wooden fluid pipes.
* Compress your coke oven outputs. Compressed fuel in a BBF is more fuel efficient, giving you 10 smelts for 9 fuel. More importantly, they compress the tiny ash dusts into full-sized ash dusts, vastly increasing the time between BBF chores. You'll actually run out of iron before the BBF fills up with ash. It's worth making a second (low pressure) steam compressor and just putting it inline in your coke oven output pipe so everything that the coke oven makes gets compressed immediately.
* Use coal coke specifically. Other BBF fuels are a +50% speed penalty on steel production. (Though, this adds an additional required amount of mining, so that's a judgement call on your part.)

* Forestry mining backpacks are extremely cheap and you can have as many of them in your inventory as you want. (Regular backpacks are max 4.) Each holds 15 slots and has autopickup. Don't bother with the woven variants, they need bee poo.
* Shift right click a chest or other inventory while holding a Forestry mining backpack (or any Forestry backpack) to dump its contents to the chest in one click.
* Make a Forestry builder's backpack. Hold it and shift right click until it is in supply mode (yellow arrow.) Fill it with torches and put an additional stack in your inventory. The builder's backpack will resupply the torches as you use them from your inventory. All Forestry backpacks have this mode, but this is the most useful application.
* Make a voiding drop filter. There's a quest for it off of the assembler quest. Set this to cobblestone, gravel, etc. and put it in your inventory while mining to destroy garbage.
* Don't forget that you can equip a (Backpacks mod) backpack in a special, dedicated equipment slot. (Check the keybinds, I believe shift + open backpack key lets you equip it.) I use this backpack for tools. In particular, carry a TiCon crafting table and whatever ingots you need to repair your mining hammer. When your hammer needs repairs, place the TiCon crafting table down, and place the hammer in the center square. The other 8 squares can be filled with repair material, letting you repair the tool in the field.

Vib Rib posted:

I do wish it was a little more clear on the best ways to get certain early materials. Lithium is an 11% side effect on spudomene or some such, which means I'll need to process over ~100 just to do the quest.
With so, so many recipes in NEI, most of them either reprocessing, recycling, or some weird hosed up method no one would ever use, it feels like I often have to search through pages just to find the one "intended" recipe in a chain. If a quest doesn't explicitly tell me how I'm supposed to get something it's a cointoss if I'll overlook the right way to do it while browsing recipes on my own.
On that point: Where do you get silicon at this point? I guess I have to process silicon dioxide with manganese? I've got quests asking for silicon but nothing pointed me towards where to get it.

Skip the battery quests and pick them back up once you're in MV. MV's electrolyzer lets you zap most of the random stuff you're mining for adjunct elements like lithium with a lot less work. Clay dust, in particular, has lithium, and there are entire biomes made out of hardened clay you can bulldoze for it.

For silicon, you can use a chemical reactor to react it with magnesium (not manganese) to separate out the silicon, then electrolyze the magnesium oxide to get the magnesium back.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 11, 2024

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Clay electrolysis was the go-to for silicon, lithium, and aluminum in Nomi. See if it works in GTNH.

Derp, missed a post. Ah well. Of COURSE you’d need an MV machine to do it.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 11, 2024

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

NJersey posted:

Can anyone recommend a modpack that is a pretty simple and chill experience? I've been trying a bunch but they don't seem to fit exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like to just chill, build some cool looking buildings, farms, mining shafts, etc. Have some sort of low tech engineering like maybe just steam or water powered mechanics to make irrigation or canals, extra poo poo to build, and some dungeons and skill progression. A cherry on top would be maybe some town building and npc trading.

A lot of mods I've tried have some variation of these but I'm not trying to grind for hours to get some part for a nuke generator or something crazy. Just want to relax after work and disappear into a little world I can build and fight in.

Maybe there's a mod like this someone is using and can recommend or was thinking of smashing a bunch of mods together to make what I'd like but I wouldn't know where to start.

Haven't played with it a whole ton but I think the Create mod with some add-ons is relatively chill as far as tech mods go. You can use Create mod trains to fake having boats on canals, etc. It wouldn't have NPCs or town-building though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NJersey posted:

I explicitly only do "vanilla and/or quality of life expansion" type mods, so you might want to start with the mods I use as at least a ground point, then add things from there. I haven't been playing for a bit due to life stuff but my current build is on 1.19.2, which has most of the relevant modern minecraft stuff like the much deeper worldgen depth and such. here's my mod list:

it significantly increases the variety of biomes, structures, and things to find that are generated in the world, without really loving around with the core treepunching concept. no ridiculous tech mods, no RPG mechanics, it's very standard but vastly expanded while adding things like backpacks to accomodate the insanely larger item count in the game, that sort of thing.

some posts about the mods I use that I made in the GOTY thread

Captain Invictus posted:

I really want to encourage you to switch from Realms to modded online minecraft. like I play using very outdated mods and even then it's incredibly robust, far more than vanilla. Oh The Biomes You'll Go and Biomes o' Plenty both add dozens of biomes each, totaling well over a hundred new biomes that with the requisite Terralith(iirc that's the required core mod for them) create immense, sprawling environments to explore. plus, with things like Yung's improved constructs, it spawns much more elaborate versions of the existing Ocean Monuments, Desert/Jungle/etc Temples, and the like. And that's only scratching the surface. If you want, I can provide my complete modlist(and even make a rar file of it all for you to cut down on getting it all), thanks to the extremely easy to use Prismlauncher, it's incredibly easy to select and update mods and keep a particular build of MC cohesive, it does a ton of the difficult work for you.

I don't even use the technical mods that are for building nuclear reactors or having to whet stones to create stone tools like Terrafirmacraft, all the mods I use are only for enhancing basic Survival mode and exploration, for creating more variety in the core gameplay loop of "wander, discover, loot, build". Like, I have been playing in the same Minecraft World for well over a year now, I've not felt the need or urge to start a new one at all. It's still the game I boot up almost daily as my relaxation game, and the mods make it so, so much better, which Bedrock MC just cannot compare to. Having the ability to craft backpacks that are modular and upgradeable is so unbelievably useful, especially with these mods that increase the total number of block variety to multiple thousands of types.

some screenshots(ones with shaders on aren't mine, the rest are):

I built a sandstone temple to protect the exposed nether portal I appeared in in the middle of a ruby crystal nether biome. the ruby blocks emit light, so can be collected in large amounts to act as bootleg Glowstone in a pinch.

do you like flower variety? because OTBYG and BoP add hundreds of new flower varieties. I have a central village I have fortified and turned into my main beekeeping village and flower town, where I bring all the new varieties of flowers to to expand the flower field there for the bees.

pumpkin patches are a biome, with huge pumpkins!

an unbelievably massive mountainous Dark Forest biome gave way to an even larger cavern beneath it via a massive gorge that cuts through it, somewhat hidden by all the giant mushrooms and dark oaks. it's this huge and the floor doesn't even start getting to Deepslate yet. I spent literally over a week mapping it out and illuminating it.

the Sophisticated Backpacks Mod lets you craft initially small backpacks, which can be upgraded and have tons of modular inserts to increase carrying capacity per stack, automatically pick up and sort specific items, and auto-feed you or auto-smelt things. I wander around with a backpack designed specifically to smelt all netherrack, clay, sand and stone into bricks, glass, and smooth stone, and I only need to swing by the nether every few weeks to load back up on lava buckets and loaded lava sponges to keep the fuel in it going for another few weeks.

one of my favorite biomes in Oh The Biomes You'll Go is called Lush Stacks, and it's huge crags and loopy stone eruptions out of the ocean, which make for incredible build sites:

my PC isn't strong enough anymore to be able to handle the pretty shaders mods, sadly. maybe once I upgrade it, but until then, default visuals it is, which don't really bother me.

but yeah, modded minecraft is still going strong and still phenomenal. I don't think I've put more time into anything as I have modded MC.

Captain Invictus posted:

in my opinion, never go into minecraft without some idea of what you want to do. whenever I go in, I think to myself, "what is my goal this time? what do I want to accomplish this session?" whether it be acquiring specific resources for adding on to one of the many villages I've fortified, or harvesting a ton of flowers to stockpile for later usage for dyes, or restocking on important supplies like iron/diamonds/nether bricks, etc, I always go in with a specific idea of what I want to do. sometimes my goal is "okay, look at my Xaero's World Map, and see if I want to flesh out an area that's currently fog of war. or maybe I bought a special map from a traveling merchant months ago that's been sitting in my backpack for ages, and decide it's finally time to trek across literally a dozen miles ingame to find what it takes me to. I do sometimes just go "gently caress it, let's wander in an unexplored direction for a few miles and see what we find" which is also valid, but again, at least when you start, something like "I want to build a safe shelter" or "I want to get iron tools" is a great beginning point.

recent session goals I've had:
- build a single nice house for a villager in one of my villages
- organize a new stockpile in a new village to leave a bunch of stuff from my backpacks in, so I can stop by and pick up things I might need later and to make room
- build a bridge with "support beams" across an 80-block-deep chasm between two mountains
- clear around a new nether portal I created on the nether side and build a safe area around it to keep potential Ghast attacks from turning the portal off, and also make the entire area around the portal look like the Overworld is encroaching into the nether around the portal

stuff like this is the kind of thing that keeps me playing the game. I let my creativity give me an idea and then roll with it.

My current character is in fully enchanted netherite gear and netherite tools all with mending, so I no longer need to worry about that stuff(yet, anyways. I recently found there's even further upgrades in some of the mods I have that require...some crazy poo poo), it's purely for building for me now. there's a potion mod I use that lets you craft Oresight potions to see specific ore blocks through walls, so it makes finding resources a lot less bullshit, but you can only see within a 20ish block radius, so it's not TOO ridiculous.

the thing about Minecraft mods is that there's something for everyone at this point. You want more elaborate cooking? Pam's Harvestcraft and Farmer's Delight have you covered. You want insane technological poo poo that looks almost like a completely different game? Create is your mod. Do you just want to loving put Pokemon in Minecraft? Pixelmon is a thing, I guess.

hell, there was a mod that turned minecraft mobs into anime girls you could date at one point, I believe. just...if someone has an idea, it's probably been made a minecraft mod at some point.

there are quite a few RPG and technology mods you could most assuredly slide in amongst these ones to further complicate the world you create, if you want. other posters in this thread can help with that though, they're way more experienced on that front.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Great list, shame that some of them haven't (to my knowledge) been updated for 1.20

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

[Very helpful tips]
I was already doing most of these, though yeah, a voiding filter and multiple ore backpacks would really have helped me carry home materials in large quantity that I should've been doing all along. Likewise I just feel I should have taken batch crafting more seriously -- the easiest part of the pack was when I made 16 beginner circuits in one go and suddenly the next several machines were a ton easier. It's not that they don't tell you to do this!

That said, between the old version jank, the super ramped up difficulty, and the overall slow progression, I think GT:NH has finally beaten me. I might go back to Nomifactory (or even try NomiCEU) for the simpler and more streamlined experience.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NJersey posted:

what's your tolerance for versions? like, are you happy to go back to 1.7?

Regrowth is a chill farming modpack where you have to turn a dessicated wasteland lush again. there's no worldgen ores, so you have to grow everything - lots of botania and magical crops, with a bit of mariculture under-the-sea stuff to start.

it's more magic/tech-disguised-as-magic than it is lowtech. it also has no dungeons, iirc

vaguely recall forums goon Black Pants (i think?) put together a terrafirmacraft pack which had some limited windmill/power technology at its highest tech level - that was viable to play on Peaceful where your only enemy was your stomach, and that's definitely low-tech and chill. it was terrafirmacraft though so there's a lot of running around looking for materials thousands of tiles from your base, and again, no dungeons.

finally, i remember quite liking Exoria (https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/exoria); this one definitely needs building, as some blocks need to be in sealed rooms to be placed, and it's relatively low-tech, low-automation. you start on an ash planet and need to portal onwards to new and weird biomes to progress.

definitely dungeons involved here, but it's not the usual minecraft green-and-pleasant-land aesthetic, and no villages iirc

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

me and a few other goons are having a good time solo playing Create: Arcane Engineering, it's quite chill but also with some surprisingly complex crafting chains.

It's very well put together for a Create based pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's your tolerance for versions? like, are you happy to go back to 1.7?

Regrowth is a chill farming modpack where you have to turn a dessicated wasteland lush again. there's no worldgen ores, so you have to grow everything - lots of botania and magical crops, with a bit of mariculture under-the-sea stuff to start.

it's more magic/tech-disguised-as-magic than it is lowtech. it also has no dungeons, iirc

vaguely recall forums goon Black Pants (i think?) put together a terrafirmacraft pack which had some limited windmill/power technology at its highest tech level - that was viable to play on Peaceful where your only enemy was your stomach, and that's definitely low-tech and chill. it was terrafirmacraft though so there's a lot of running around looking for materials thousands of tiles from your base, and again, no dungeons.

finally, i remember quite liking Exoria (https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/exoria); this one definitely needs building, as some blocks need to be in sealed rooms to be placed, and it's relatively low-tech, low-automation. you start on an ash planet and need to portal onwards to new and weird biomes to progress.

definitely dungeons involved here, but it's not the usual minecraft green-and-pleasant-land aesthetic, and no villages iirc

Nah wasn't me, I just remembered TechnodeFirmaCraft which prompted someone else to dredge up a download of it. I'm not sure I'd call TFC any kind of chill, though. Zen, maybe, when you're hammering thousands of iron slag chunks and furnacing metal into ingots, but not really chill.

There's a Harvest Moon-ish modpack called Farming Valley which is pretty nice and chill though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

old thread posters kinda merge together in my memory. it's a small mercy i didn't mix you up with rutibex

i found the pack quite chill on peaceful; having to deal with enemies would make it a lot worse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For no good reason whatsoever I spun up a new Vault Hunters world on Sky Vaults and ohhh boy this game loop still isn’t very good is it? Running vaults isn’t very satisfying, the quest line is weirdly paced, there’s no B part to spend non-vault time on, and the vaults themselves are tedious and repetitive. I wish there were custom rules for vault gen, or at least a room size option. Adding a back half system that feeds off of and back into the vault system would also go a ways to making both runs and everything other than runs more enjoyable. I’ve run maybe 10 or so vaults so far and I’m ready to never look at one again.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

For no good reason whatsoever I spun up a new Vault Hunters world on Sky Vaults and ohhh boy this game loop still isn’t very good is it? Running vaults isn’t very satisfying, the quest line is weirdly paced, there’s no B part to spend non-vault time on, and the vaults themselves are tedious and repetitive. I wish there were custom rules for vault gen, or at least a room size option. Adding a back half system that feeds off of and back into the vault system would also go a ways to making both runs and everything other than runs more enjoyable. I’ve run maybe 10 or so vaults so far and I’m ready to never look at one again.

I've bounced off it these last few months, for me I enjoy the skinner box dopamine of opening loot crates and finding rare poo poo.

But the mid to late game is suffering from that classic ARPG problem where there is so so much stuff to keep track of and manage it gets to be a real chore. Seals, Focus', Catalysts, Inscriptions, Gems, ALL THE FUCKIN GEMS, Gear, Coins, Souls, Knowledge, Orbs and all the useless junk you get from vault running. It just gets too much tbh.

Also, while not as bad as straight vanilla, it's still vanilla MC combat which sucks absolute balls.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Vault Hunters has so much potential but there's some incredibly stupid and needlessly punishing mechanics to it, bad design choices they've hardcoded, and the balance is so slow that you seem to be expected to run an utterly ridiculous amount of vaults just to make a little progress.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

To be fair, that's always been a "feature" of Draconic Evolution - the Chaos Guardian is designed to be more or less impossible unless you have the most end-game DE materials (or the completely invincible armor from Avaritia). But most modpacks either don't put any progression on the Chaos Guardian, make the Chaos Guardian optional and provide other ways to get its Chaos Shards (e.g. Omni/Nomifactory), or make the Chaos Guardian an extremely late-game fight (e.g. Enigmatica 2: Expert). FTB:I is the only one that makes the Chaos Guardian a gate for mid-game materials and won't let you change the difficulty. It's the dumbest progression decision I've ever seen in a game.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I started up Cuboid Outpost and... there's no mod options menu.

Looks like they changed it again and you can only change the configs from the main menu?
edit: unbelievable. that doesn't change mod config on existing worlds. So you just can't change mod config at all on existing worlds in this modpack. Who did this and can I slap them?
edit2: Wait this doesn't make sense there's no config folder in my save file!
edit3: ...new worlds don't use the config change.
edit4: apparently I had to restart minecraft to get the config change to work. All I did was move The One Probe's display to the bottom right. I used to be able to do that in the middle of playing the game, what the hell is going on!?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It was a really weird time for Forge mods. That said I think you can config TOP in-game by using the item itself.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Does anyone know where ProjectE keeps it's emc value data? I don't mean for items added via [/projecte setemc x] but for items it already knows before doing anything.

I want to transfer that data from a modern 1.20 version of ProjectE to an older version and don't feel like adding EVERY item the newer one already has (all mekanism items for eg)

[edit] best armor for Chaos Guardian is the one from Overloaded, it lets you noclip. It's attacks fly right through you, while the Infinity Armor still lets you get hit and the sound of 100's of attacks is annoying.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 14, 2024

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I can't check right now but I believe its somewhere in the world folder. At least it used to be

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AceClown posted:

I've bounced off it these last few months, for me I enjoy the skinner box dopamine of opening loot crates and finding rare poo poo.

But the mid to late game is suffering from that classic ARPG problem where there is so so much stuff to keep track of and manage it gets to be a real chore. Seals, Focus', Catalysts, Inscriptions, Gems, ALL THE FUCKIN GEMS, Gear, Coins, Souls, Knowledge, Orbs and all the useless junk you get from vault running. It just gets too much tbh.

Also, while not as bad as straight vanilla, it's still vanilla MC combat which sucks absolute balls.

Vib Rib posted:

Vault Hunters has so much potential but there's some incredibly stupid and needlessly punishing mechanics to it, bad design choices they've hardcoded, and the balance is so slow that you seem to be expected to run an utterly ridiculous amount of vaults just to make a little progress.

Vault Hunters seems like it’s designed to be streamed and recorded, not played. It’s paced so slowly and is so bloated that the only reasonable explanation is that it’s maximum content with minimum effort for the sake of perpetuating long-term youtube series. It’s a deeply unsatisfying game loop otherwise.

Which is a shame, cause I like the core idea of Sky Vaults - instancing small, tightly-scoped challenges as a way to secure resources and outfit your base is way more fun than the hypercraft grind that all skyblocks end up as. It’s just executed poorly. Are there any similar mods that do it all better? I’ll even take suggestions for completely different games.

Edit: Like, Vault Hunters is gonna have to do at least the following to make it more tolerable:

- Ditch all the cosmetic/junk loot, that poo poo’s just annoying and chest hell is absolutely dire in this mod
- Size down the rooms, 47x47x47 is way too loving big and tedious without movement upgrades
- Shorten corridors between rooms to like 1/6 the current length
- Limit rooms to 1 or 2 vertical “floors” max
- Don’t gate mods behind like 2 hours of grinding one specific material per point, like what the christ

This is all intended to cut out as much downtime as possible, where nothing is happening other than travel and sheer movement. I swear to god like 80% of your time in a vault is spent walking up and across rooms in between hitting up chests and objectives. It’s loving boring.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 15, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh and another thing is that they need to ditch the gilded/wood/whatever affinity system entirely and just make every chest mineable by default. They already have a quest that gives you four affinity gems that you’re supposed to immediately put in your first tool, they know that functionality is baseline for a decent experience.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Vault Hunters is very much a mod pack designed around being played by streamers. Also you cannot separate the amount of donations streamers receive on the official Vault Hunters SMP from how they handle balancing and overall game design.

The game design is also weird in that it encourages farms for all the materials for vault crystals, but everyone and their mother needing farms on a server hurts performance. Honestly the “feed the altar 700 beetroots” is definitely there because iskall loves grinding (and RNG bullshit).

In the end, if the dynamic of the vaults and leveling in Minecraft appeals to you you’d probably try vault hunters and then get frustrated because it is not designed for solo play by people that just want to run vaults. It is an ARPG in Minecraft, but designed by and for a very niche community.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I thought. Think I’ll play something else.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

Vault Hunters seems like it’s designed to be streamed and recorded, not played. It’s paced so slowly and is so bloated that the only reasonable explanation is that it’s maximum content with minimum effort for the sake of perpetuating long-term youtube series. It’s a deeply unsatisfying game loop otherwise.

Which is a shame, cause I like the core idea of Sky Vaults - instancing small, tightly-scoped challenges as a way to secure resources and outfit your base is way more fun than the hypercraft grind that all skyblocks end up as. It’s just executed poorly. Are there any similar mods that do it all better? I’ll even take suggestions for completely different games.
I know "extraction" or raid-based games are just Escape from Tarkov-likes for the most part, hardcore shooters with a sharp PVP focus, but I feel like that overall gameloop of having to go out on random runs to build up a stash of items and equipment is one that could work with all sorts of different games, including this. It's the ways Vault Hunters is similar to that genre that make it really fascinating and appealing, but they completely dropped the ball on balance. Still, I really hope we see more attempts at the concept from other genres.

As for mapping in the Vaults I'd probably remove corridors entirely, because amusingly they're sort of emblematic of the whole padding problem to begin with.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The balance in vault hunters can be tuned, to the point that your first vault completion will give you about 20 levels (out of 100 max) and far more resources than you can carry out, even if you focus on a specific thing and bring several pouches. Pretty much all of those resources have some use though. Once you hit level 25(?) you unlock catalysts so you can build custom vaults targetting certain resources, or just a theme that you enjoy. The more recently added quest line walks you through all this stuff, and prepares you before entering your first vault. Also, if the vaults were any smaller, most of the movement abilities you can get would be utterly useless. The combat might start out as default minecraft, but you can (and probably should) build a character that never needs to use their default attack. Outside of scavenger vaults or guardian vaults, combat is technically optional anyway. Vaults are by their nature very fast-paced, though obviously at level 1 you haven't unlocked any of the things that enable you to move, fight and loot chests very quickly.

The pack is built around giving you a reason to build farms for vanilla resources. But if you don't like that you can turn down the required resources with another in-game setting, or even turn it off entirely. This does remove like half the game loop though so feels a bit weird, much like the Sky Vaults world gen. It also makes most of the in-vault resources pointless, since these generally help you scale up your resource generation, alongside big QoL improvements in and out of vaults. These are supposed to provide progression so they feel good when you unlock them. There are several options to essentially delete any items or resources that you don't want, though they require some exploration or investment to set up.

The one place it does get grindy though is at end-game. The final vault requires 25 unique artifacts, which are rare and you can get duplicates. If you actually get that far I wouldn't feel too bad about cheating in a full set.

Obviously if you don't enjoy running the vaults this is not the mod for you, but a lot of the complaints posted in this thread are incorrect. The default settings for experience gain and resource drops are aimed at a fairly long playthrough, I suppose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vib Rib posted:

As for mapping in the Vaults I'd probably remove corridors entirely, because amusingly they're sort of emblematic of the whole padding problem to begin with.

I'd be fine with that. They're just more and more time between The Good Stuff, and what Vault Hunters really needs is to always be doing The Good Stuff.

..btt posted:

The balance in vault hunters can be tuned, to the point that your first vault completion will give you about 20 levels (out of 100 max) and far more resources than you can carry out, even if you focus on a specific thing and bring several pouches. Pretty much all of those resources have some use though. Once you hit level 25(?) you unlock catalysts so you can build custom vaults targetting certain resources, or just a theme that you enjoy.

The XP scaling is actually not a problem I ran into at all - for the first 10 or so levels, at least, it's pretty speedy.

The problem is how running vaults feels. Whenever I try to play the modpack, vaults become a matter of double tapping to sprint from one room to the other, keeping an eye out for obvious and easy to reach chests+objectives, traversing the room where necessary to engage with interesting things, repeat. So there's a solid like, 20-30 seconds minimum between the interesting parts of each room, and that gets even longer when POIs are spread out around 47 blocks of height.

That, plus the verticality, plus room size, plus the special room and POI spawn rate, means that the pace of running vaults scales proportionally to traversal speed. (Not to mention loot bloat and inventory management toil, which is its own separate problem.)

Which leads me to my next point:

quote:

Also, if the vaults were any smaller, most of the movement abilities you can get would be utterly useless.

Then why are they present at all? Obviate their need and simplify the game loop.

quote:

Vaults are by their nature very fast-paced, though obviously at level 1 you haven't unlocked any of the things that enable you to move, fight and loot chests very quickly.

Disagree as discussed above. And the fact that there are unlockables designed specifically to enable vaults to be fast-paced means that they are by definition not fast-paced by nature - the player has to take specific actions to make that. It's not a core part of the vaults themselves, and that means there's a baseline potential for an unsatisfactory game loop.

quote:

The pack is built around giving you a reason to build farms for vanilla resources. But if you don't like that you can turn down the required resources with another in-game setting, or even turn it off entirely. This does remove like half the game loop though so feels a bit weird, much like the Sky Vaults world gen.

Well that's a bummer because I'm a hunter-gatherer, not a farmer. I play Minecraft weird compared to everyone else. I find fun and enjoyment in exploration, resource runs, and survivalism. I don't find designing and building large-scale automation to be particularly engaging, I do that poo poo for my job and I've already spent my spoons on that for the day.

And if the problem is how the design of the mod interacts with the Sky Vaults ruleset, then Sky Vaults is underbaked and needs some revision.

quote:

It also makes most of the in-vault resources pointless, since these generally help you scale up your resource generation, alongside big QoL improvements in and out of vaults. These are supposed to provide progression so they feel good when you unlock them. There are several options to essentially delete any items or resources that you don't want, though they require some exploration or investment to set up.

It's really not a great point in the game's favor when the early game is a mess by default and you have to invest time and effort to make it not a mess.

quote:

Obviously if you don't enjoy running the vaults this is not the mod for you, but a lot of the complaints posted in this thread are incorrect. The default settings for experience gain and resource drops are aimed at a fairly long playthrough, I suppose.

It's not the sheer numbers that bother me, it's the overall system design. It's bloated and tedious, and it's clear that the reason for this is to enable long playthroughs for maximum creator content and engagement metrics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The fact you have to unlock basic QoL is a bad sign right off the bat but it really makes it painfully expensive, too. A ton of the things you can unlock are just for automating or farming the stuff that lets you enter the vault, which feels weird as hell to even have that exist. "Because you have enough successful raids, now you can afford to go on raids more often". Aren't the raids the point?
The fact that unlocks make everything else in the same "category" more expensive is stupid as hell, you buy one little quality of life unlock and now all the others that the dev thought were thematically similar are way more pricy. I dunno what the balance is at now but it was something like 2-3 points for the first unlock, and then 16+ for the next one.

..btt posted:

The combat might start out as default minecraft, but you can (and probably should) build a character that never needs to use their default attack. Outside of scavenger vaults or guardian vaults, combat is technically optional anyway.
Just lol, lmao
I dunno who you're trying to convince, but I actually played the pack so I don't buy it

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 16, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

The problem is how running vaults feels. Whenever I try to play the modpack, vaults become a matter of double tapping to sprint from one room to the other, keeping an eye out for obvious and easy to reach chests+objectives, traversing the room where necessary to engage with interesting things, repeat. So there's a solid like, 20-30 seconds minimum between the interesting parts of each room, and that gets even longer when POIs are spread out around 47 blocks of height.

That, plus the verticality, plus room size, plus the special room and POI spawn rate, means that the pace of running vaults scales proportionally to traversal speed. (Not to mention loot bloat and inventory management toil, which is its own separate problem.)

To be fair, this is less a Vault Hunter issue specifically and more "this is how ARPGs in general play" and Vault Hunters is very transparently an attempt to boltstrap the ARPG formula onto Minecraft. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

To be fair, this is less a Vault Hunter issue specifically and more "this is how ARPGs in general play" and Vault Hunters is very transparently an attempt to boltstrap the ARPG formula onto Minecraft. :shrug:

Yes, and a well-designed ARPG will specifically design their system to maximize awesome-per-second.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

The fact you have to unlock basic QoL is a bad sign right off the bat but it really makes it painfully expensive, too.

If you don't like it then fine, but it's quite common in ARPGs and minecraft mod packs - you start out without much QoL but unlock it as you progress. This is what makes the actual progression feel worthwhile, and makes you look forward to reaching your next goal. If everything was unlocked from the start it would be a rather flat experience.

Vib Rib posted:

Just lol, lmao
I dunno who you're trying to convince, but I actually played the pack so I don't buy it

There are several builds you can put together that will allow you to passively kill mobs by walking into them. They generally require support from both vault gear and abilities though, and aren't available until you have a few levels. They mostly become viable at level 30+, but get better as you have more levels, but even just stacking thorns on vault gear can get you there. If you want to completely bypass most enemies, you can make a small nerdpole using a solid block (e.g. unobtainium) and use the mega jump specialisation "dig" to destroy all the ground block around you so no enemies can reach. This strategy can be enhanced by getting some +reach on your vault gear so you can loot/dig from further away. At higher levels you can just outrun all the mobs and ignore the tiny amount of chip damage if you spec into it. There are plenty of videos online of people employing all these strategies. For my playthough I didn't mind the combat so I just got a little thorns to handle packs of weak enemies and relied mostly on chain and later, lucky hit.

Like, I also played vault hunters 3 (and the one before it though much more briefly) but apparently I had a completely different experience from you. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of anything.

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly I think it's just not the mod pack for you, but at higher levels you will be crossing rooms in 5-10 seconds (or less with high level dash and gear support) and jumping about half the height of a vault room (if it had no blocks in it other than the bedrock seams). You also start to recognise the room generation and where you likely need to go for PoIs or vault objectives. It is RNG though so some rooms/vaults will sometimes be annoying.

e:

Pollyanna posted:

And if the problem is how the design of the mod interacts with the Sky Vaults ruleset, then Sky Vaults is underbaked and needs some revision.

P. sure Iskall (the mod designer) hates skyblocks, thinks it breaks the mod experience, and only added this due to endless requests.

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2024

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

..btt posted:

P. sure Iskall (the mod designer) hates skyblocks, thinks it breaks the mod experience, and only added this due to endless requests.

Sounds dumb. If that guy was here right now I'd give him a piece of my mind.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When you said there were alternatives I didn't think you were going to suggest nerdpoling in every room.

..btt posted:

Honestly I think it's just not the mod pack for you
See, you're correct, and that's the problem. It's so close to being good and the idea is sound but the execution and balance are just not there. When a novel idea is so close to being good it's much more aggravating than if it were just a terrible idea through and through that you can just write off. It's why people complain so much about Minecraft itself, there's that drive of it being so close to a perceived ideal but faltering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Started a non-Sky Vaults playthrough to see how different it might be, and...I think I like it even less than the skyblock version.

I tried Vault Hunters because I wanted to run vaults. Sky Vaults immediately gets you running vaults. Non-Sky Vaults requires you to trek all the way through a large chunk of vanilla to get your first fault, and that poo poo can take like an hour for someone like me who completely loving sucks at Minecraft. The whole time I was like, I could be running vaults if this was Sky Vaults.