Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PhazonLink posted:

what % are ALL the private jets CO2?

like yeah its a thing, but seems like another distraction thats trying to use classism as lazy support
I hope nobody is being classist against private jet owners! That’s just like being racist. You can tell, because they both end in “ist”. The word “classist” is almost exclusively used to refer to predjudice against the poor, just like how “racist” is used with regard to people prejudiced against non-whites. Using these words to refer to the rich or whites, respectively, is either extremely disingenuous or extremely stupid.

But seriously, of course billionaires’ CO2 output is going to tiny compared to the vast throngs of the world’s common people. It’s still orders of magnitudes more than the average person, however. Not only that, but our entire global socioeconomic system is hurtling human civilization off a cliff just to stroke their egos. Their influence is the primary reason why nothing substantial is being done about the collapse of the biosphere where we all live.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

If you have more time than sanity you can have fun agreeing wholeheartedly with their concern trolling, then watch them shoot down every idea to fix the problem you two suddenly mutually have. Make sure to emphasize they're not coming up with anything

Please note this accomplishes nothing of value

Sometimes they get so pissy that you're 'talking back' to them and not giving them the RESPECT THEY DESERVE they throw a fit and leave, then refuse to ever speak to you again.
I love when that happens :D

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does it taste better? Id rather we make flu vacc lettuce then it killing thousands

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Eat your goddamn vegetables!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

idk man seems like lettuce still contracts a regular terminal case of Human

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

If only there were a collection of people working together, like some sort of agency or administration, that you could entrust with a safe food system.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Owing to the Sources Cited: Meth, I have no idea even what "they put a human vaccine in a lettuce" even means.

I assume it's similar to what British-American Tobacco were working on with modifying the tobacco mosaic virus to create proteins for the vaccine, then spraying that on a tobacco plant and the virus multiplies making trillions of times more, which can be then extracted and made into vaccines. Finally putting all those decades and billions of dollars of research to something other than "sell more cigarettes".

So I imagine it's something similar to that but with a lettuce, which would then be destroyed to gather the material, rather than whatever they imagine which is someone injecting random lettuces with the flu shot and then putting them on shelves.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I remember from some kids' magazine back in the 90s, I think maybe Disney Adventures, that they were talking even then about engineering vaccine production into food plants so the vaccines could be produced, preserved, and delivered way more easily. Just have a kid eat a banana! And that sounded incredibly cool, it was very positive coverage at the time in that magazine. So the idea of literal vaccine foods has been hanging around for a while. Too bad we've got all this *waves hands wildly* about everything now.

I mean I guess we've always had it but it's just more and dumber, always.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've had the polio vaccine on a sugar cube since the 60s, so yeah the idea has been out there for a while that this is a good way to give vaccines to kids where possible.

It's still in a clinic though, so while one day we might have bananas as a delivery route, I really doubt they're just going to be out in the produce aisle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guavanaut posted:

They've had the polio vaccine on a sugar cube since the 60s, so yeah the idea has been out there for a while that this is a good way to give vaccines to kids where possible.

It's still in a clinic though, so while one day we might have bananas as a delivery route, I really doubt they're just going to be out in the produce aisle.

Yeah but that was back then when vaccines were healthy, now that they're poisonous and only used to kill Americans it's a bad thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt the sugar vac less effect than the injection?(but also easy to transport into rural areas with no cooling)

I seem to recall 2021 and an old science lady that was old enough to get the sugar vac and said thats a example of science engineering , gov. policy., and business

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

wasnt the sugar vac less effect than the injection?(but also easy to transport into rural areas with no cooling)

I seem to recall 2021 and an old science lady that was old enough to get the sugar vac and said thats a example of science engineering , gov. policy., and business

There's two main polio vaccinations that I know of, the oral vaccine that doesn't need to be refrigerated and uses attenuated live virus, and the injectable one that needs to be refrigerated but has completely killed viral particles.

The main downside to the former is there's a small but non-zero risk of the attenuated live virus reverting/mutating to a pathological form, which actually happens occasionally and resulted in a small outbreak (n=4) in Indonesia in recent years

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The president of a whole-rear end country?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who was also a TV actor/comedian beforehand so presumably earned a reasonable amount of money

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

Owing to the Sources Cited: Meth, I have no idea even what "they put a human vaccine in a lettuce" even means.

I assume it's similar to what British-American Tobacco were working on with modifying the tobacco mosaic virus to create proteins for the vaccine, then spraying that on a tobacco plant and the virus multiplies making trillions of times more, which can be then extracted and made into vaccines. Finally putting all those decades and billions of dollars of research to something other than "sell more cigarettes".

So I imagine it's something similar to that but with a lettuce, which would then be destroyed to gather the material, rather than whatever they imagine which is someone injecting random lettuces with the flu shot and then putting them on shelves.
They did surgery on a grape

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah because it had a vaccine reaction and was rejecting the mind control.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Did it wine about it?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BiggerBoat posted:

Did it wine about it?

People are raisin the question for sure

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress yeah, need that good direct admission poo poo right in my veins

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

really, David Irving? people are quoting him?

I’m done

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not to hand it to the holocaust denier, but in WW2 the white Americans were so racist against black people that it caused serious military readiness issues due to needing multiple of every structure to maintain racial segregation even inside England while Operation Overlord was in full swing, so I won't say he is wrong.

You could have told them a black man was president at some point and they would have just sunk their own boats.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 29, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
There is zero chance the person spreading that meme knows who Irving is. There is a reasonable probability that the person who made the meme didn't know. Someone probably just Googled (let's be real here) Binged for "Quotes about Soldiers" and found some listicle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Supposedly this incident TOTALLY HAPPENED and community notes on Twitter is even backing it up. Apparently in the land of the free you can't even state your sandwich preferences without getting a finger snapping ostracism for it :qq:

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
I was anticipating that the Super Heebster was going to be some horrendously racist take on a traditional Jewish deli sandwich, so the Chik-Fil-A ending was kind of a letdown.

Glad this person was class conscious enough to think about the optics of food expense while totally forgetting all other social issues.

D-, please revise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's where my mind went with 'Super Heebster', but the place was originally founded by Polish Jews. Could easily be that it was then taken over and decided to capitalize on that without concern for the optics though.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Supposedly this incident TOTALLY HAPPENED and community notes on Twitter is even backing it up. Apparently in the land of the free you can't even state your sandwich preferences without getting a finger snapping ostracism for it :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e40mTZxpGTo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

David Brooks posted:

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Immediately thought "that doesn't sound anything like the Welsh football (soccer) player" although he also plays on the right wing.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Freaking chain sub places offer capicola. Most of those ingredients are going to be available at supermarket delis, never mind fancy sandwich shops, and people certainly know the word "baguette" without higher education. David Brooks just sounds like a dumb classist prick who doesn't realize he tried to dump a giant expense for a sandwich on a poorer "friend."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

That is actually a real quote.
:monocle:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Sopressada is too hard but empanada is fine?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Big Cabbage is desperate to cut into that Lettuce market share.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

disposablewords posted:

David Brooks just sounds like a dumb classist prick who doesn't realize he tried to dump a giant expense for a sandwich on a poorer "friend."

All he had to say was "I'm buying" but that wouldn't be David Brooks

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

That Paddington Bear royalty money is pretty sweet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The grand conspiracy of living in NY in March and remembering your childhood summers in CA.

Or lizard people replaced the sun, at night of course so nobody could see.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Guavanaut posted:

The grand conspiracy of living in NY in March and remembering your childhood summers in CA.

Or lizard people replaced the sun, at night of course so nobody could see.

Could also maybe be an early stage of cataracts sapping some of the color out of her vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirk the Average posted:

Could also maybe be an early stage of cataracts sapping some of the color out of her vision.

There's probably some visual changes just from improved air quality since the 70s.