Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sparrowing down the rainbow road is the real final boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I think tedious for the sake of being tedious is the main reason why I don't really bother with dungeons.

I paid my dues raiding in my teens/20's raiding in vanilla WoW. I just want to shoot aliens in the face and not think too much about it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've done Ghosts exactly once and Warlord zero times. I just don't have the patience for that kinda poo poo anymore.

I would run Pit of Heresy to exhaustion if they gave patterns for the moon guns, though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So tedious and unpleasant!

But for real, I think they incorporate one sucky take-too-long bit into each dungeon on purpose. For what reason, I'm not exactly sure. To make farming less prevalent? Even though they chose to make dungeons farmable? Who knows.

I think it's just because "traversal" is sort of an aspect of Destiny design. It's basically a set piece. They're a cool bit of flavor. I doubt the conscious design is "we want farming to be painful" but more "we want this to be cool and memorable for the players who do it a few times" with less consideration for the ones who do it 3 times a week for many weeks.

I still think they should make dungeon guns craftable.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

I've done Ghosts exactly once and Warlord zero times. I just don't have the patience for that kinda poo poo anymore.

I would run Pit of Heresy to exhaustion if they gave patterns for the moon guns, though.

:hmmyes:

Speaking of which, I need to run that with my friends so they can get Xenophage. I did it solo and glitched my way through it so idk how the dungeon actually is.

Oxyclean posted:

I still think they should make dungeon guns craftable.

100%

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Warlords is one of their best dungeons, and I highly recommend trying it if you haven't run it yet. It feels like they took the feedback from Ghosts to heart.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I loving despise sparrows. Absolute garbage to maneuver. They're fine to use like horses to move from one zone to another but once you have to use them in activities- ESPECIALLY when there's a timer- I check out. Vehicles just shouldn't be a part of any actual gameplay in Destiny, they're just developed enough and miserable to use.

(At least with the Drake tank you get to shoot stuff, but those parts still end up feeling like agonizingly slow filler when you do them more than once.)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
how soloable is warlords? I usually play in the middle of the night with a sleeping toddler on my lap, so I stay mic off and usually don't go harder than nightfalls.

e: mama wants that rocket pistol, really

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You might be able to join a "no mic" fireteam through the fireteam finder, though it might be a bit tougher finding one willing to teach. Me and my buddy were just dragging whoever would fill our third slot while we were on discord and didn't really want to deal with chatting with a rando.

Might also be some people in overchill that might be okay with you being off-mic as well.

Can't really give you a good idea on how soloable it is. Have you solo'd other dungeons? I suspect it's less bad then Ghosts and maybe Spire, but still a pretty tough solo.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

doomfunk posted:

how soloable is warlords? I usually play in the middle of the night with a sleeping toddler on my lap, so I stay mic off and usually don't go harder than nightfalls.

e: mama wants that rocket pistol, really

Speaking through a mic isn't necessary, although if you can listen to voice chat through headphones it would make learning go a bit smoother. Either way, if you ask for a group in the discord server there are lots of people who are happy to teach it.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I know your all talking about fun stuff but

Sorry F2plailures Bungie still hates us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRgpMvZcbQ

And the new Crucible changes look great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

life_source posted:

I know your all talking about fun stuff but

Sorry F2plailures Bungie still hates us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRgpMvZcbQ

And the new Crucible changes look great.

What an annoying voice but also lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Good or bad, it's crazy that they're trying this level of foundational sweeping change for Crucible at this age of the game. It's like when the Uno people come out of nowhere and change how draw two works after 50 years on the market

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It is a last grasp heading into Final Shape but it can’t be taken seriously when they didn’t say a word about Titans or cheaters lmao.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ugh seriously. There are players who literally can't die, shooting through walls, flying around the map landing 100% crits or getting OHKs for no discernable reason

Also there are cheaters, like you mentioned

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They said when they made the PvP Strike Team that they were gonna be shifting PvP more towards a hardcore experience where the PvP people can play the version of PvP they want and other players don't have to engage with it. I hope they keep their word on that second part!

The timing is what it is. If it were up to the people actually working on the game, they probably would've put the PvP strike team together years ago, but I assume they kept asking the executives and kept getting told no until the numbers and fan backlash got so bad they had no choice but to actually allow them to do stuff.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i feel like crucible went to poo poo right when pc crossplay was introduced

I tried turning it off recently and it took over 5 minutes to source players on ps5

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

^burtle posted:

It is a last grasp heading into Final Shape but it can’t be taken seriously when they didn’t say a word about Titans or cheaters lmao.

what's wrong with titans in crucru

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

what's wrong with titans in crucru

I got punched by one and that sucked so I think they should lose their melees and bubbles so I can shoot them and they can't punch me.

Also legit the only problem I've been having in Crucible besides being bad is how fucken annoying finding the weekly comp matches are. They need to cut that poo poo down or something because ugh the timeouts are so frequent.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
every titan charged melee is a one shot, meanwhile as a warlock *lightly scorches u*

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also instant void overshield for you and allies with barricade

lock: *stands in a rift for 5 seconds waiting patiently for overshield to charge*

I've long accepted that warlock pvp is d2 hard mode

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
go lightning mode and enjoy game again

zap slide, funny grenades, "no, you do not get to use your super" super

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ex post facho posted:

every titan charged melee is a one shot, meanwhile as a warlock *lightly scorches u*

this has not been true for at least a year (possibly two years) unless they're using a very specific and very easily identifiable pair of pants that should inform you that getting into melee range with them is perhaps a bad idea

ex post facho posted:

also instant void overshield for you and allies with barricade

lock: *stands in a rift for 5 seconds waiting patiently for overshield to charge*

I've long accepted that warlock pvp is d2 hard mode

said overshield does not heal you and warlock rift does. all things equal, a void overshield will lose to a warlock rift in a straight duel. the only thing a void overshield does that a healing rift does not is make roughly 20% of the available one-shots into two-shots

also warlocks easily compete w hunters for best pvp class b/c they get like twenty different turrets and their buffs/benefits do not interfere with other players

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ex post facho posted:

I've always been annoyed by the fact that titans can just drop a barricade and run off around the map with 20 seconds of overshield, while if you step outside the rift for one second as a lock, it's gone. If there was a grace period it would make more sense, but unless you're using it to spawn a void/arc buddy, it can be pretty useless.

Nobody at Bungie regularly plays a warlock, you can tell by the amount of sections in coil where overhead geometry stops warlocks getting the height they need to make the jump.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

oh and the void overshield sticks to you, which is definitely an advantage

still, saying warlocks are the least favored class is extremely laughable

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like traversals in dungeons alot where you're fighting and moving, i dislike overly long traversals with no combat though. I think the transition from Gardens-3 to the boss is really fun and contains one of the most beautiful vistas in the game but I think the underwater drop forever in Ghosts is bad and makes me sad bc i ususally try to hop off the side to go all the way down to early and end up killing myself and way behind my fireteam

Also, from a design perspective, I hate the like WoW/FF style ~ raid is 4 rooms 1 boss each room, no trash~ thing that seems to have happened in the last 20 years. I like having low stakes combat in between encounters and giving everyone a second to breathe and reset.

I am also sad that like ~pull teams~ and pulling/breaking camps/using CC is not a thing anymore in modern MMO raids but that is a different topic

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
whatever class you usually play is objectively the weakest one that the designers hate. everyone knows this

e: that said, as someone who usually plays Hunter, unlocking the stasis super was a pleasant surprise as it feels fairly well like a warlock super in a way that doesn't retread existing ground

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kith posted:

still, saying warlocks are the least favored class is extremely laughable
I'm not saying that, at least not in PvP because in that respect I am a maidenless scrub. The rift / overshield is an annoyance at most.

However I'm sticking to my guns that nobody tests the levels - especially the seasonal activities - with a warlock jump. Or at the very least, their complaints about 'that rock makes it impossible for me to get enough height to clear the gap' is not being listened to.

One of the areas, titans and hunters can literally go straight forward then left across a gap, while warlocks have to go right, through a bunch of blight cannons, down and then backtrack later on. And there's one of the bonus chest areas where it's drat near impossible to get the timing to get across because of the rock overhead.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hackan Slash posted:

Humble is selling literally every expansion + this year's annual pass for $40. A good deal if you don't have.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...rdestiny_bundle

If you need this, I am begging you to not start playing destiny

I tend not to game on my PC but this might be convenient for when the TV is otherwise in use. Anyone have a good recommendation for a controller that's PC compatible? Simply an Xbox controller or what?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
You should be able to just plug in whatever controller you use on console, I wouldn't get a new one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Both Xbox and PS5 controllers should work fine with a PC

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
I'm using an Amazon Luna, but I've used a PS3 controller before.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Had no idea that you could use PS5 controller with PC, that's awesome, thanks!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Hatchling changes are pretty great. No longer requiring precision kills but instead proccing from either 1 crit or 3 normal kills is RAD. Old Sterling and the Neomuna SMG are gonna be a lot more fun with this tweak.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I play PC with a controller and let me tell you, idk how people live without back pedals/buttons so you can explicitly map CHARGED vs UNCHARGED melee, especially if you play literally any titan or void hunter.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

i just simply dont play the game instead

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Posting about the game is part of playing the game. There is no true escape.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Posting is the new meta

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A strange game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

syntaxfunction posted:

Posting about the game is part of playing the game. There is no true escape.

Shame on you sweet Nerevar