Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fuzz posted:

It's 2024, people still care about a few extra gigs?

i mean, the game itself is like 1gb, so if it quadruples in size with the egs version that seems fair to point out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i love playing fallout tactics on egs

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The General posted:

I'll stop caring about space when you start sending me bigger SSDs. As it is, I've only got 232gigs to work with. Currently sitting at a dire 23gigs free :ohdear: I should probably clean some poo poo out.

where do you live? Getting a 250gb ssd is the expensive option in most places, you can usually get a 500gb cheaper than the 250gb version

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I live in the fabled Canadas. :canada:

I haven't priced out a new SSD, I just use whatever came with my machine. It's extremely low on my priority list of things to actually fix. The rest of my computer ain't up for running most 100+gb games either. But yeah, for some people space is at a premium and another extra couple of gigs here and there really adds up.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The General posted:

I live in the fabled Canadas. :canada:

I haven't priced out a new SSD, I just use whatever came with my machine. It's extremely low on my priority list of things to actually fix. The rest of my computer ain't up for running most 100+gb games either. But yeah, for some people space is at a premium and another extra couple of gigs here and there really adds up.

You can pick up a new 1TB SSD for like $100 CAD.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lemme check my bank account. $47.56. Don't got $100 kicking around ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And if I did, I have other hobbies I'd rather put the extra cash towards.

Regardless of my financials or current hobby spendings, just tacking on 5gigs to a game for no real reason isn't best practices. Just because something might be in abundance doesn't mean you should just waste it just because you can.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pretty sure my old disc copy full installs at 600 or so megs. God, remember when games had installers that let you pick various install sizes?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
retvrn to installing the exe and running the rest off the cd

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The General posted:

I'll stop caring about space when you start sending me bigger SSDs. As it is, I've only got 232gigs to work with. Currently sitting at a dire 23gigs free :ohdear: I should probably clean some poo poo out.

https://github.com/IridiumIO/CompactGUI

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

drat, how did I not know about this

Thanks for linking!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The General posted:

Lemme check my bank account. $47.56. Don't got $100 kicking around ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And if I did, I have other hobbies I'd rather put the extra cash towards.

Regardless of my financials or current hobby spendings, just tacking on 5gigs to a game for no real reason isn't best practices. Just because something might be in abundance doesn't mean you should just waste it just because you can.

Windirstat is good for that, I have a tiny C drive and use it all the time to tidy it up

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wiztree is a good bit quicker than windirstat (in my experience at least) but yeah a visualisation tool so you can see what's eating up space is basically a must

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tarnop posted:

drat, how did I not know about this

Thanks for linking!

It doesn't help with all games, but for some the results are impressive. For example Stellaris keeps loose uncompressed textures on disk so it compresses very well. And even on atom tablet with small emmc drive there was no noticeable performance difference.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey y'all no stress but can we get back to discussing the games themselves? Cheers

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Theres been a change in plans

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1758670030970196433

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lol sucks

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm pretty sure that I still have both of my CD-ROMs for Fallout 1 & 2. Both games on full install were significantly less than 700mb.

The install size for Fallout on Steam is 562mb and 564mb for Fallout 2.

3gbs for language packs?!?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Depending on the compression used audio can take up a lot of space. The original Titanfall had like 35GB of audio when installed because it was completely uncompressed, and to add insult to injury it wasn't even better quality, it was just because the Xbox couldn't handle the ogg format used on the disc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fuzz posted:

It's 2024, people still care about a few extra gigs?
Hi. When people complain about a thing, you can just not do this.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Depending on the compression used audio can take up a lot of space. The original Titanfall had like 35GB of audio when installed because it was completely uncompressed, and to add insult to injury it wasn't even better quality, it was just because the Xbox couldn't handle the ogg format used on the disc

Microsoft does not care for .ogg. I made one the other month and it completely seized my machine if I even tried to select it, let alone open it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

LividLiquid posted:

Hi. When people complain about a thing, you can just not do this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm pretty sure that I still have both of my CD-ROMs for Fallout 1 & 2. Both games on full install were significantly less than 700mb.

The install size for Fallout on Steam is 562mb and 564mb for Fallout 2.

3gbs for language packs?!?

Steam is the only game store that can reduce download & install size by selectively installing languages.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

pseudorandom name posted:

Steam is the only game store that can reduce download & install size by selectively installing languages.

Sadly doing so killed the entire portal 3 team in a tragic file compression accident

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, yes? Storage is not as cheap as you may believe for most of the world. Storage for the latest SSD standards even less so.

Imagine thinking you need a PCIe4 drive to run Fallout 1 and 2, though. You can get a 4TB external drive that will run the game perfectly fine with zero load times because it's still 20x faster than the drives from 1998, and it will run you barely $100 USD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

tokin opposition posted:

Sadly doing so killed the entire portal 3 team in a tragic file compression accident

_______/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fuzz posted:

Imagine thinking you need a PCIe4 drive to run Fallout 1 and 2, though. You can get a 4TB external drive that will run the game perfectly fine with zero load times because it's still 20x faster than the drives from 1998, and it will run you barely $100 USD.

You missed the point entirely, but okay. You do you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fuzz posted:

A hundred dollars is a lot of loving money.

But also? It's not my loving job to spend that hundred dollars because these assholes have decided that a game that fit on one CD should now be several gigs.

Don't defend companies. Like, pretty much ever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Put me on team "Games that shipped on a CD shouldn't be gigabytes in size". I did a similar double take when I learned that the only way to play Warcraft 3 from the same CD key I've used since 2002 is a 30GB install.

Apple charges $200 to upgrade from a 256GB disk to 512GB.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2570630/20_Small_Mazes/

this is a really fun, relatively short puzzle game

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I think games should be bigger. Let's get fallout to fifty gigs. fallout 2? more like fallout 2 terabytes!!! This is living in the future, baby!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you can probably find some ai upscale pack that fits that requirement while also looking like poo poo

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Fuzz posted:

Can we not? $100 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

If you have the games digitally then I dont think anyone will care if you download the disc images of the games and run them that way to save on space. Even if you dont own the games digitally I'm sure that no one will care if you download them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Don't defend companies. Like, pretty much ever.

Look at this jabroni who's clearly never heard of Corporate Social Responsibility

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Twerk from Home posted:

Lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I agree that ballooning file sizes of games while sufficient SSD storage, which is becoming more and more necessary for modern games, is still somewhat hard to afford is an issue but

How much gaming you doing on that Mac, bro

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Waffleman_ posted:

How much gaming you doing on that Mac, bro

I actually used to play CS: GO on it regularly until they dropped Mac compatibility. I do wish that Valve would bring TF2 to Macs, seems like it should run well on just about anything. Maybe they could celebrate porting TF2 to Mac by giving out an in-game Apple Vision Pro or something?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
I like it when games are free, big games small games I'll take em all!! No downloads refused!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i think the free games thread is probably the most acceptable place to post about being frugal without judgement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Twerk from Home posted:

that's nearly $1/gigabyte lol, apple's hardware division is just criminal
i recently paid 65 bux to add a second 1tb drive into an old laptop and just screwed it in myself without having to pay some dope at a "genius bar" to undo the special proprietary no-third-party-repairs-allowed glue
that's literally 1/12 the price per gig as they're charging