Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

:shaka:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol that's cool

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

us east coast bus drivers just do what they want because they are driving the larger, more rigid vehicle and it works pretty great. dedicated bus lanes are best, but this game of chicken works for most drivers too.

AreWeDrunkYet has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Feb 15, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hell yeah

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

busses here are mandated to stop at every train crossing and people go batshit insane over having to wait a few more seconds, extremely aggressive merging over into the left lane without looking and a honking symphony

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

busses here are mandated to stop at every train crossing and people go batshit insane over having to wait a few more seconds, extremely aggressive merging over into the left lane without looking and a honking symphony

A twelve year old child got run over here Tuesday getting off a bus because people lose their minds in the manner you described when buses stop. Check if you can find the editorial slant in this piece of "news"

https://www.wtae.com/article/hazelw...le%20condition.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

i like buses, more buses please
The bus system in my county is free this month, even the bus that usually costs $7 to connect with the transit center the next county over.

It's awesome. I never rode these local busses before now. Public transit should be free all the time.

Starting next month the main routes will be getting 15 minute headways too!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Public transit should be free all the time.

It's so, so stupid that it's not. Let's introduce a cost and point of friction to something that's an obvious public good when consumed more by people! It won't pay for the system anyway, but people will be discouraged from using it!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's so, so stupid that it's not. Let's introduce a cost and point of friction to something that's an obvious public good when consumed more by people!

Ah, but did you consider all the jobs created by the bureaucracy involved in charging people for basic mobility? You even get computer touchers to develop apps these days! Why do you hate jobs?

I have good memories of free Sundays on the Copenhagen trains when I was a student. Just get some friends and beers and go on a train to wherever, maybe check out the place and then back to chilling in the train. That was some good afternoons.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

drat “everyone who isn’t at church rides the commuter trains around drinking” sounds like a day in the life of a society i could get behind

all it lacks is for the passenger cars to be rapidly redressable into church cars and the whole shebang could be on rails

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the good lord turned water into wine to keep a party rolling, I’m sure he would approve

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If I ever find one of these as surplus, I’m putting it on my bike.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

us east coast bus drivers just do what they want because they are driving the larger, more rigid vehicle and it works pretty great. dedicated bus lanes are best, but this game of chicken works for most drivers too.

Bus drivers are just taxi drivers with more isolation from liability.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CopperHound posted:

The bus system in my county is free this month, even the bus that usually costs $7 to connect with the transit center the next county over.

It's awesome. I never rode these local busses before now. Public transit should be free all the time.

Starting next month the main routes will be getting 15 minute headways too!

Twin Cites maybe? I heard they are running a free transit pilot on a route or two. I think they saw like a 30-40% uptick in rider miles.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

is there a new law or something that all new cars have to have headlights with little angry eyebrows?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kreeningsons posted:

is there a new law or something that all new cars have to have headlights with little angry eyebrows?

yeah you gotta drive in a vtuber rig and the lights track your face. drivers just always look mad

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kreeningsons posted:

The funniest are the little aftermarket ones you can install on the round headlights of a Jeep to make it look ANGERY.

Jeep people are loving stupid even among the carbrained.

Feb 16, 2024
100% Mechanical. Force then to break Perfection

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Groda posted:

Bus drivers are just taxi drivers with more isolation from liability.

:hmmwrong:

bus drivers and other mass transit operators are heroes society won't recognize

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

silicone thrills posted:

I still feel guilty - in 2018 i was making a left turn and i came like 5ft from someone who was crossing in the crosswalk. because you know, the loving insanity of a marked left hand turn while people have a loving walk light in this area.

It made me hyper aware of every left turn I take though and totally realigned my view that "im a good driver" because none of us are good drivers. The very nature of how cars are designed and made and our systems around them are inherently unsafe and make us all unsafe.

I've had a couple times where a pedestrian was concealed by my car's A pillar, so now I make it a habit of moving my head to see around it. I also now expect drivers to also have me in their A-pillar blindspot

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I also now expect drivers to also have me in their A-pillar blindspot

dibs on your stuff

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

drat “everyone who isn’t at church rides the commuter trains around drinking” sounds like a day in the life of a society i could get behind

all it lacks is for the passenger cars to be rapidly redressable into church cars and the whole shebang could be on rails

Literally no one who isn't 80 years old goes to church over here though. And based on rush hour experiences with the trains, it definitely can't be everyone on the trains. poo poo's packed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thinking about not driving for the last I think 10 years now... feels good.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

horrified to find out today that this nice gravel path with trees and a stream that i run and bike commute on is going to be turned into a road, because the city "needs" another arterial street

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

Public transit should be free all the time.

Ah, but have you considered that if it was, then some of the people who currently ride bikes might take public transit instead? And we can't risk that. (This was an argument presented by a Danish politician not long ago.)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rauros posted:

horrified to find out today that this nice gravel path with trees and a stream that i run and bike commute on is going to be turned into a road, because the city "needs" another arterial street

thats extremely depressing. I am sorry.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

If I ever find one of these as surplus, I’m putting it on my bike.
YES! I want to flash it every time some leaves a safe braking distance behind me.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Thinking about not driving for the last I think 10 years now... feels good.

#blessed

when I lived in BC I didn't own a car. I biked and walked everywhere. I was fit and my bank account was full.

now I roam the pre-apocalyptic wasteland in a dirty honda civic, trying to remain human

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1757546124724916543?t=Ed1S3qbTGA9VplHB_uX4vA&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

become ungovernable

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Shoplifting is worse than potentially killing someone with my car, I am very smart

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

https://x.com/PaulStephensWMO/status/1757558873941315781?s=20

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

These are the same people that want universal voter ID. Cars and guns? Do whatever the gently caress you want, it’s a free country. Voting? That’s going too far, let’s be careful here.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

These are the same people that want universal voter ID. Cars and guns? Do whatever the gently caress you want, it’s a free country. Voting? That’s going too far, let’s be careful here.

Yeah, but votes in America can actually cause real material harm, unlike cars and guns.

The theft angle to auto fines is pretty stupid, just reply with your receipt from when you reported it stolen and they'll waive it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but votes in America can actually cause real material harm, unlike cars and guns.

The theft angle to auto fines is pretty stupid, just reply with your receipt from when you reported it stolen and they'll waive it.

Here they take a photo and compare it to your drivers license and if it’s not you then the ticket is immediately dropped

You’re supposed to identify the driver if you can so they can send the ticket to the right person, and the letter you get heavily implies in very strong language that this is mandatory, but if you read closely and are savvy enough to know your legalese enough to know may/must, you can tell it’s optional

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

BonHair posted:

Unrelated, and I know you're being facetious, but this is what's so stupid about the whole "if voting changed anything they would make it illegal :smug:" attitude some people have. They are trying to make it illegal! You imbecile. you loving moron.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

khazar sansculotte posted:

Unrelated, and I know you're being facetious, but this is what's so stupid about the whole "if voting changed anything they would make it illegal :smug:" attitude some people have. They are trying to make it illegal! You imbecile. you loving moron.

syq

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Voting works
California Proposition 213, Limit Drunk Drivers and Felons' Abilities to Sue for Damages in Accidents Initiative (1996)

ballotpedia.org posted:

California Proposition 213 was on the ballot as an initiated state statute in California on November 5, 1996. It was approved.

A "yes" vote supported prohibiting an uninsured driver or a driver subsequently convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of an accident from suing someone at fault for the accident for non-economic losses and prohibiting a person convicted of a felony from suing to recover any losses suffered while committing the crime or fleeing from the crime scene if these losses resulted from another person's negligence.

A "no" vote opposed prohibiting an uninsured driver or a driver subsequently convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of an accident from suing someone at fault for the accident for non-economic losses and prohibiting a person convicted of a felony from suing to recover any losses suffered while committing the crime or fleeing from the crime scene if these losses resulted from another person's negligence.

## Election results
Yes 76.83%
No 23.17%

quote:

The term “non-economic damages’’ refers to that class of damages in a personal injury claim that you do not determine by financial charges, expenses, or losses contained in documents. They encompass a variety of very real damages that result from personal injuries, such as:
  • Emotional distress
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Damage to relationships with family members or spouses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of consortium
  • Diminished quality of life
  • Permanent disabilities and impairments
  • Permanent disfigurement

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

khazar sansculotte posted:

But not really. They’re trying to make it more inconvenient and unpleasant, as much in an attempt to placate idiot movement conservatives who don’t understand how this poo poo works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But not really. They’re trying to make it more inconvenient and unpleasant, as much in an attempt to placate idiot movement conservatives who don’t understand how this poo poo works

Not just that, but if they want to successfully gaslight people into thinking that voting matters and this is the most important election of our lifetime, etc., then there needs to be a visible battle around the concept of voting, eligibility, etc. to show how serious it is.