Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

For me True Detective is still something I'm unsure about, it's going to be decided by the finale. I generally like it but I definitely don't want a no answers ending

Yeah everything is really going to hang on the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Evil's fourth season is coming in May, and will be its last. I'm pretty excited, it's an excellent and loving wild show, and I'm keen to see how -- or, to be honest, if -- they wrap things up. Still hanging in there in hope that the kids form a vigilante mob and go and murder Leland.

Honestly, the show's love of random non-explanations to things is one of its great strengths, though I can see why it would drive people mental if they're watching it as a mystery show. I love that it'll just sometimes casually drop an explanation to a subplot four episodes after the episode aired, and other times it'll just shrug and say stuff like "Oh hey, yeah, I guess that random dude's wife didn't turn into a pillar of salt, and he's just a serial killer and I guess he's still out there somewhere? Oh well, not our problem."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's older, like 80s older, but Tenko is a classic. MASH too.

I've always had a soft spot for The Unit, but I gather that's a bit more contentious. Though weirdly not because of the two episodes that dip into the straight up supernatural.

If you can find mash without the laugh track, it's even better

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm with you, the Cyclops voice actor sounds dead-on to the original to me.

The Wolverine voice actor, on the other hand....

Look he only has one line in the trailer, but I refuse to believe they couldn't find another voice actor that could get the voice closer to the original than this guy

That is the original guy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh hell yeah, Evil is such a fun show. The daughters are great and Michael Emerson looks like he's having a good time as Leland.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil's fourth season is coming in May, and will be its last. I'm pretty excited, it's an excellent and loving wild show, and I'm keen to see how -- or, to be honest, if -- they wrap things up. Still hanging in there in hope that the kids form a vigilante mob and go and murder Leland.

Honestly the scene in Evil where Leland is pretending to be friends with the little girl in the online game and it flips the trope upside down when her sister asks "Who's that?" "Oh it's Leland pretending to be a friend, I'm loving with him" is in my top 10 laughs over the last few years in TV. Was not expecting it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I gather they just let those girls improv their overtalking chatter and it really works to make them feel more like real people than actors. Normally I, at best, tolerate a child character but I do enjoy the family dynamics in that show quite a bit.

Well, not the husband, not much too him

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It truly makes me sad to think of the amount of money wasted on branding shenanigans.

Fandango Media (jointly owned by NBCU (75%) and Warner Bros Discovery (25%)) bought Vudu in 2020 and shuttered FandangoNOW.

Today, they announced, Vudu will be renamed Fandango at Home.

So, you killed one brand name and then turned around and named it something else. They say libraries are staying the same as always, but they are also talking about this being a “one stop shop for Movie Tickets and OnDemand”. To me, that feels like they are going to lessen the emphasis on ownership and put more on trying to get that sweet money for temporary viewing of first run content.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

It truly makes me sad to think of the amount of money wasted on branding shenanigans.

Fandango Media (jointly owned by NBCU (75%) and Warner Bros Discovery (25%)) bought Vudu in 2020 and shuttered FandangoNOW.

Today, they announced, Vudu will be renamed Fandango at Home.

So, you killed one brand name and then turned around and named it something else. They say libraries are staying the same as always, but they are also talking about this being a “one stop shop for Movie Tickets and OnDemand”. To me, that feels like they are going to lessen the emphasis on ownership and put more on trying to get that sweet money for temporary viewing of first run content.

I honestly wonder how much money was spent going from HBO Now, to HBO Max, to Max.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Max: The One to Watch for HBO

mystes
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

hey, you can eliminate homelessness in the US or you can rebrand your service back and forth a couple times, which do you think is more important?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For the last 25 years our name has been synonymous with prestige tv and movies. But I personally didn't make it like that so let's change it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Utterly baffling. Literally like Coke changing it's name to Fresca.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Definitely dethroned SyFy as the worst name change ever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're not making HBO, they're making TV.

The name had to go, or else people would get the wrong idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the final season of Umbrella Academy drops Aug 8

mystes
May 31, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think SyFy is even that bad. Like I think the actual reasons for it were dumb and their programming strategy around that time was also dumb but in itself changing to SyFy would probably be reasonable just to be able to trademark it

muscles like this! posted:

I guess I'll watch it it but it's really a show where I like the idea of it but hate the actual execution

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It's a surprise they even got a second season much less 4.

It doesn't appear to be insanely popular either, I can only guess it's cheap to make since they have all the main sets for use.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That loving guitar riff rules so hard and is probably 70% of why I enjoyed the show back in the mid 90s.

It’s superb but still not at the level of CRY FOR THE MOON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKQHN4BFd4

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

socialsecurity posted:

My mother can’t help but pronounce sci-fi as sky-fy, so at least one person benefitted from that

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

X-O posted:

That is the original guy.

drat, then it’s sad that he sounds so different.

Again, judging this all of one line in the trailer so maybe it’s not that bad

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DogsInSpace! posted:

It’s superb but still not at the level of CRY FOR THE MOON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKQHN4BFd4

Wow that is a terrible upscale. I didn't know bad upscales could ruin cartoons the same way they do live action. Everything is smoothed out it looks terrible.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of Tokyo Vice is way better than season 1 so far. I loved the moment at the end of the latest episode where Adelstein belatedly realizes what he is asking Sato and makes his peace with it. That's some good acting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SimonChris posted:

Season 2 of Tokyo Vice is way better than season 1 so far.

That's good to hear because I thought season one grew weaker as the season progressed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe I shouldn't judge because my father's not a serial killer, but this seems like a loving weird way to process that trauma.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's something bad about the notion of "reckoning with the impact it had on families" and "making public entertainment of it too."

And the usual what good is it to make a celebrity of a killer and spectacle of the family's pain. I didn't know about this guy before at all and I can't imagine anyone else's life improving with the knowledge either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol at Death and Other Details latest episode. At this point I'm starting to wonder... Am _I_ secretly working for Victor Sims?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ToonHive/status/1758526609299067194

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe I shouldn't judge because my father's not a serial killer, but this seems like a loving weird way to process that trauma.

I’m trying to work out which trauma you mean, I assumed Dennis Quaid but I’m not seeing any connection to a serial killer on his wiki?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paracock+

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m trying to work out which trauma you mean, I assumed Dennis Quaid but I’m not seeing any connection to a serial killer on his wiki?

I'm talking about Melissa Moore. i.e. the woman who's producing a TV series that uses her own life as a jumping off point for a series that imagines that perhaps her dad may have actually done even more murders and that a fictional version of herself is the only one who can prove he did them.

Like, I get the idea of creating a fantasy life where you, sort of, I dunno, have this cathartic experience of combating your serial killer father (even after you've helped put him in prison IRL), but it's really strange to broadcast that internal life as part of an ongoing, fictional, TV series. I guess maybe it's therapeutic?

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Love to subscribe to Mountcock plus

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
peacork

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SkyShowtime

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just cancelled paramount after accidentally paying for showtime instead of getting a free month. Only time they ever just let me cancel too, usually they try to trick you into sticking around one way or the other. In hindsight maybe that's why it was so easy to cancel this time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*thinking as hard as I ever have*

Cockmount

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*smiling serenely* "Max"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

*smiling serenely* "Max"

HBO+

Not like WBD is using it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
In a few years there's just going to be Disney+ and Not Disney+ as the two streaming services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The two worst-designed and worst-performing apps merging? What could possibly go wrong?