Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
It's his first published novel and never got an official English translation but I found some translation on archive.org lol

And yeah The Morning Star and The Wolves of Eternity are both excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007

Blurred posted:

Last year I had the urge to get back into reading 'real literature' after several years of reading almost exclusively non-fiction books. I have two young children which makes it difficult to find any consistent, quiet reading time, which really discouraged me from getting stuck into any long, dense novels. So I decided to buy the Penguin Little Black Classics box-set, because each of the books are only ~50 pages long, and I thought it would be a great chance to expose myself to authors I've never read before without needing to invest too much of my (rare) free-time.

Thank you very much for this! Inspired me to order the modern box set.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Morning Star

What do you like about it? I'm in the middle and finding it dreary and dull. The elaborate description of mundane things has it's charm but it runs out quick.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

thats how we transcribe the sound in English

"aa" is also how we wrote the sound in norwegian up until between 1917 and 1938

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gleisdreieck posted:

Thank you very much for this! Inspired me to order the modern box set.

What do you like about it? I'm in the middle and finding it dreary and dull. The elaborate description of mundane things has it's charm but it runs out quick.

His characters come off as deeply human and his eye for making the mundane seem poetic

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

"aa" is also how we wrote the sound in norwegian up until between 1917 and 1938

Weird did something happen during that time

This is a joke btw

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Weird did something happen during that time

This is a joke btw

phoneposting, so you almost baited me to elaborate

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

phoneposting, so you almost baited me to elaborate

its been so long I forgot how to do spoilers on here

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His characters come off as deeply human and his eye for making the mundane seem poetic

He's annoyingly good. My Struggle is mesmerizing.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jon Fosse is far superior in this regard, just by the by

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Knausgård is fascinating because he is basically the archetype of a sloppy writer but is so immensely instinctually gifted that he makes it work. The first 70-100 pages of every book of his I've read are an awkward slog and then at some point he catches the wind and you're off.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nitevision posted:

Knausgård is fascinating because he is basically the archetype of a sloppy writer but is so immensely instinctually gifted that he makes it work. The first 70-100 pages of every book of his I've read are an awkward slog and then at some point he catches the wind and you're off.

Like I said, it's loving annoying. He's one of very few people I've ever read, as someone who writes and is good at it, where I think "why am I bothering to even try"

There's a point early in volume 1 (I think) of My Struggle where a writer friend of his says "well you could write about taking a poo poo and it would sell". Or something like that. Exactly right.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I remember seeing him at a writers festival shortly after book 2 or 3 came out and he was getting hugely popular, and someone asked why he began book 1 with this section about the heart. His answer was something like "so people know I can write before they get to the rest"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thehoodie posted:

I remember seeing him at a writers festival shortly after book 2 or 3 came out and he was getting hugely popular, and someone asked why he began book 1 with this section about the heart. His answer was something like "so people know I can write before they get to the rest"

I read the whole thing. And hell, I might even read it again later in life.

It's frustratingly good. You are like "why am I reading about this dude's family life" and then suddenly it's seven hundred pages later and he's talking about something profound and you realize you've been had

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This all sounds very boring

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

This all sounds very boring

Go on. Read the first chapter of Volume 1 of My Struggle.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

I've only read book 1 and it is very good. But if I'm going to read a 6+ book series it is going to be Harry Potter In Search of Lost Time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mdemone posted:

Go on. Read the first chapter of Volume 1 of My Struggle.

this unironically.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

any recommendations for specifically nordic authors? I hadn't heard of Fosse until he was mentioned and Septology looks fascinating, albeit nothing I would want to commit to right now. My knowledge of Nordic writers doesn't go very far beyond Hamsun and Knausgaard really.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hanne orstavik, the pastor and love are both extremely good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Halldor Laxness is a good icelandic writer. for norwegian authors,Tarjei Vesaas is a must if you also like Jon Fosse, obviously Henrik Ibsen, his later plays are party great. Dag Solstad is both funny and good, so definitely check him out. beyond that i’m struggling a bit, because I don’t exactly know what’s translated or not.

my overview of swedish literature is shockingly poor compared to Danish, but you could give Kerstin Ekman a try, Blackwater does a similar thing to Drive your plow (…) by Tokarczuk, where it’s a crime fiction on the surface only, but is actually more about the people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Herman Bang is fantastic, also really liked the few Henrik Pontoppidan short stories I've read (both Danes)

I'm not so familiar with Swedish authors either, but I remember liking P.C. Jersild.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Doktor Glas was a good swedish book I read

I can also recommend Havoc by the danish Tom Kristensen. it’s an almost horrifying read about a journalist/editor who decides to completely ruin his life with alcohol

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Svend Åge Madsen! See if you can track down a copy of Virtue & Vice in the Middle Time, the only work of his that has been translated to English and one of my favorite books ever. It's basically the Count of Monte Christo, but set in 1970's magical realist Denmark as imagined by a fictitious author writing a thousand years in the future, where the 20th century has become this ill-defined age of wonders known as The Middle Time. Unfortunately, the hardcover is out of print, and there is no e-book edition.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 15, 2024

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Per Petterson

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Tosk posted:

any recommendations for specifically nordic authors? I hadn't heard of Fosse until he was mentioned and Septology looks fascinating, albeit nothing I would want to commit to right now. My knowledge of Nordic writers doesn't go very far beyond Hamsun and Knausgaard really.

Tove Ditlevsen

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Inger Christensen, a danish poet, has also become something of a thread favourite. Alphabet is going to blow you away guaranteed. her poetry is so insanely loving good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

one day I will ascend as an aesthete and actually read poetry

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

I read book 1 of My Struggle and I thought it was pretty good but I did not feel compelled to read all the other ones. It's me, the Knausgård heathen

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

ulvir posted:

Inger Christensen, a danish poet, has also become something of a thread favourite. Alphabet is going to blow you away guaranteed. her poetry is so insanely loving good

can confirm. cant think of any other longform poem that i immediately started reading again when i got to the end like this one, so good

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Volcano posted:

I read book 1 of My Struggle and I thought it was pretty good but I did not feel compelled to read all the other ones. It's me, the Knausgård heathen

Give Vol. 6 a try. It's a reflection on what happened to him and his family life after the early volumes became huge hits. And then suddenly he breaks off into a 350-page essay on Hitler

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Tosk posted:

Probably a 101-level answer for the actual nords here but I was surprised by how much I loved The Wreath by Sigrid Undset (trans. Nunnally). Seems like a book that genuinely achieved timelessness. Would love to read more of her

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isnt Stoner like the pre-eminent sad professor fucks his students book that most people joke all American literary fiction is

now that i've finished it, this isn't really that. he is the sad professor, but he only ever has one single affair, and it's with a member of faculty

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isnt Stoner like the pre-eminent sad professor fucks his students book that most people joke all American literary fiction is

No, that's Don Delillo.

New Yorker style litfic peaked with The Night the Bed Fell on Grandfather

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I can smell Jonathan Franzen talk, and I just want to say right now that I won't have it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you know he was friends with DFW?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

never have and never will read that guy

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Just finished journey round my skull by frigyes karinthy. His autobiographical account of discovering he has a brain tumor and the process of its removal. Mostly he is in a state of bewilderment. Very funny

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ulvir posted:

now that i've finished it, this isn't really that. he is the sad professor, but he only ever has one single affair, and it's with a member of faculty

u liked?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you know he was friends with DFW?

If that's a veiled criticism, I won't hear it, and I won't respond to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The corrections remains really good in a way that feels almost like a cosmic joke