Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

I didn't forget it. I own it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just watched First Contact for the first time in years and lol, I forgot it was where the tommy gun scene came from.

Also, why did Worf have a self-destruct authorization code for the Enterprise-E? :psyduck:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Spock seems to get laid on occasion in TOS but he still goes through pon farr. It seems like the seven years is independent of the frequency of sex.

He's half-Vulcan so maybe he gets the worst urges of both.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AlternateNu posted:

I just watched First Contact for the first time in years and lol, I forgot it was where the tommy gun scene came from.

Also, why did Worf have a self-destruct authorization code for the Enterprise-E? :psyduck:

Picard never changed the locks.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if some Starfleet officer's command codes were the Trek equivalent of your luggage lock being set to 1234.

If we can't teach people how to make good passwords after 20+ years of the internet being real then maybe we'll never be able to.

"Computer: authorization delta, gamma, alpha, beta - engage"

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
He was temporarily assigned to the E as a bridge officer. His code comes along with that assignment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Accipiter posted:

He was temporarily assigned to the E as a bridge officer. His code comes along with that assignment.

And he was the highest ranking officer on ship at the time. Riker, LaForge and Troi were down on Earth, while Data was MIA.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some Starfleet officer's command codes were the Trek equivalent of your luggage lock being set to 1234.

If we can't teach people how to make good passwords after 20+ years of the internet being real then maybe we'll never be able to.

"Computer: authorization delta, gamma, alpha, beta - engage"

They make this joke with Pike on SNW

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Maybe the vulcans could jack off

I wanted plomeek soup, I compromised. I ate grilled cheese off the radiator. I wanted to gently caress a human woman, I compromised. I jacked off into a tissue once every 7 years.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

They make this joke with Pike on SNW

Sounds like it's already time for me to rewatch SNW.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

He's half-Vulcan so maybe he gets the worst urges of both.

I'm only one episode into season 2 of Enterprise, so I can't say for sure, but T'Pol's answers to questions about her own sexuality are incredibly diplomatically phrased, so much so that meaning can easily be hidden in her responses. There's also the exchange between Archer and T'Pol when Archer sneaks into her room to tell her that the mission isn't being canceled after all. When he first enters, he mentions that her neighbor likely saw him sneaking into her room. T'Pol replies by describing her neighbor as "discrete". You can read a lot into that descriptor.

There's also copious intimacy between Spock and T'Pring in SNW, and that certainly wasn't happening in seven year cycles for her.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rudeboy Detective posted:

In Lower Decks, Captain Freeman's authorization code was 06107.2. Which may well be her birthday stardate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would think with the computer's voice recognition capabilities the actual password doesn't matter that much. Except when Data flips out and takes over the ship.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

In Lower Decks, Captain Freeman's authorization code was 06107.2. Which may well be her birthday stardate.

There's 51 years between that date and the stardate of Moist Vessel... it's totally her birthdate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have to wonder if the prefix number is combined with something else to make it more secure, since '16309' is laughably weak.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 17, 2024

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It works like Bluetooth pairing

Wait, poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You figure with the level of scanners they have, biometric auth should be child's play.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ridiculously short code to unlock the ship may also be a callback to the Reliant's prefix code

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I would think with the computer's voice recognition capabilities the actual password doesn't matter that much. Except when Data flips out and takes over the ship.

data gets the code wrong at least once so it probably cares more about the voiceprint than the code

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That was what I meant, Data can replicate everyone's voices perfectly.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe it's just a confirmation code so the ship doesn't accidentally self-destruct because someone casually mentioned it. Kind of like a safe word.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I wasn't fond of the bit where Mariner uses Freeman's code in LDS because I always figured it was more about the biometrics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I wasn't fond of the bit where Mariner uses Freeman's code in LDS because I always figured it was more about the biometrics.

She’s got lots of experience from forging her mom’s signature on the letter she had to take home about her bad grades in Stellar Cartography, duh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Nah the biometric scanners count people of the same immediate family as the same person. The people who design starfleet ships like creating family drama as they get a bit bored sometimes you see.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

I've always figured the pon farr was an evolutionary response to Vulcan's lack of a libido due to logic but there really hasn't been enough time since Surak's reforms for such a drastic evolutionary change and it doesn't seem to be a problem for the Romulans so what's the deal there

I feel like the Vulcans, even if they had successfully eliminated libido, would realize that having a civilization endure requires procreation and would just lie back and think of Vulcan to ensure a sufficient population.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There seems to be a pretty clear corralation between academics/intellectuals/nerds and freaky sex stuff. Vulcans have hella libido, they just really like edging and have settled on 7 years as the optimal amount for Vulcan physiology.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 18, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thotsky posted:

There seems to be a pretty clear corralation between academics/intellectuals/nerds and freaky sex stuff. Vulcan have hella libido, they just really like edging and have settled on 7 years as the optimal amount for Vulcan physiology.

Come to think of it, I’d be down seeing Sting portray a Vulcan on SNW or wherever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Nah the biometric scanners count people of the same immediate family as the same person. The people who design starfleet ships like creating family drama as they get a bit bored sometimes you see.

Its because otherwise weird space poo poo would lock you out too frequently. If someone gets tuvixed they can still do their job

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Carbon Creek was a really good TOS throwback episode of Enterprise. I know people have said even good Enterprise is just cribbing from other shows, but I guess I don't hate that. This episode, along with the episode where an AI steals Mayweather's brain to run a computer network, show that you can repackage a premise and still get some life out of it. Plus, between this and SPOCK'S BRAIN I guess we learn that there is just like a whole branch of space technology built on the assumption that brains can be readily stolen from people and integrated into computer networks.

I have to give "A Night in Sickbay" credit for trying something different with the format of the show, and I guess exploring themes of "getting laid in space" is actually relevant since, yeah that's a thing we'd have to figure out for years long deployments. But man that's two encounters with the Kreetassans we've had now and both have resulted in unwanted pathogens onboard Enterprise. I guess they have to be polite because they're a filthy, filthy people. Also, Dr. Phlox was loving mental in that episode. I feel like the writers must have recognized how popular he was and just went hogwild with it, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Between this and his antics in Two Days and Two Nights, I think it's time for them to be a bit more conservative on how much exposure he gets.

Spock's Brain? Spock's Brain. Spock's Brain!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, they kept Mayweather's brain inside his skull the whole time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They were really going for that low-budget Matrix vibe.

It's also funny because they were talking earlier in the episode about how big of a room the computer would need to accomplish what it does, but there just isn't a room that size on the station. Then they find the neural network and it's... a very large room filled with racks of bodies occupying a space that a computer better than Enterprise's could easily utilize.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
"Dead Stop" also features the fantastic comedy beat of a snooping Reed and Tucker getting transported directly onto Enterprise's bridge and T'Pol giving one of the best "These two loving dipshits" eyerolls of her career.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It was a nice twist on the "people sneaking around pop out in an unintended and awkward location" gag

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I love Carbon Creek but I’m having a hard time thinking of it as a TOS throwback. What’s the connection there? The time period?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are a bunch of TOS episodes where Kirk and team end up on a primitive planet, sometimes literally Earth, and have to blend in while looking for a way home.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Spock being obviously Chinese, for example.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There was at least gangster planet and Nazi planet. Cowboy planet would have fit right in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Apollodorus posted:

Spock being obviously Chinese, for example.

Who got his head caught in a mechanical... rice... picker.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There was at least gangster planet and Nazi planet. Cowboy planet would have fit right in.

Can't forget sex party planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Didn't Enterprise have its Doctor do a genocide, or something war crimey adjacent and then have it go "He did the right thing and this is the basis for the Prime Directive."