Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Tracer feels like a menace until you switch to Hanzo, because holy poo poo it's genuinely hard to miss her head up close now

They should have grown every character's head model to match, like bobbleheads

Edit: just got deleted by Hanzo as Zarya like I had 100hp or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sandwolf posted:

this tweet ends with him saying “hit markers give me dopamine I like more dopamine” so idk if that’s the most reliable take for your average OW player

(It’s incredibly on brand for CoD player, mind)

Jake pretty much never gives the team poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean it's distilling an entire players repertoire of skills and abilities down to a single 'how likely are they to win against various odds' # and yeah no wonder people feel that it oversimplifies things, that's the entire point of it: to simplify a players performance and how winning they are down to a single number. People who don't embrace that are always going to hate it. There's no solution to that that people won't hate as long as, like, 90% of people will self-evaluate as more skilled than the mm will evaluate them as. Doubly so when most people will under-evaluate their team mates. I don't think that 1 or more people or any of those other things really matter, as games very consistently manage to design very good mmr/elo systems regardless of how people play, eg solo vs group or w/e else. Good players rank higher, bad players rank lower. That's the constant of any well-designed mmr system. People just don't like that the mmr system says that they're silver or w/e

The only real exception to that is when games start including elements in the ranking that can be grinded with time invested instead of by winning, at which point all the ratings are garbage and meaningless, even though they'll suddenly be way more popular.

There's always gonna be "problems" that people perceive in these matchmakers that they will hate, even if they implement the best version. More so than not winning, it feels like time is wasted when you get unplayable games, which tilts people that can't deal, which leads to loss streaks, which makes people complain about the system and or quit playing. And yes, some players just don't like to lose.

Personally, I always feel like the best version of the system should be implemented. No smurfs, no balancing teams around one number, no queuing with other players, and no making any concessions to any of these things for faster queue times (unless it becomes a CRITICAL problem). If those specific changes are implemented, there isn't really anything to complain about at that point that can be feasibly fixed; it's just get gud and don't tilt, or don't play the game at that point.

It's the direction of the company however to not address any of those "fixes" that will unequivocally make the matchmaker better, by some amount, so I feel like it is somewhat valid to complain about the matchmaker as long as those problems remain. I don't know if anything will ever get "fixed", it seems Blizz has decided, either through some metrics they've taken or just departmental agreement, that they don't want to fix these things because they believe it to be healthier for the game to put players in matches that more often result in poo poo quality games, albeit at a faster rate.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it is insane to me that blizzard just let the smurfing thing go on for so, so long. imo smurfing's magnitude was always overstated (eg you probably weren't getting gm tracer in your plat games, you probably were just getting a diamond or low masters tracer), but yeah the amount of smurfs was absolutely massive. imo learning to play around smurfs, cheaters, etc. is part of the 'good at fps' skillset to some extent, but it really shouldn't be any more than it absolutely has to be and the open tolerance of smurfing for most of the game's life did so much damage to the quality of games.

imo rage at matchmaking often is just a reflection of how much people dislike the lows of the game.

i don't think there's any perfect mm system that people wouldn't hate. if it's doing its job it's probably going to be unpopular to everyone who thinks that they belong higher than they do

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Free accounts and removing decay made it worse too. Even before free accounts i had 10 just laying around from people who had quit and decided to give me their deets to "gently caress up plats"

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYvR_9mPaY

My friend noticed Youtube autofilled the game as Paladins.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Two random Moira thoughts:

Maybe I'll get used to it, but Moira's ult feels almost useless now to keep the team healed during a fight.

I wonder how new Moira would feel if her healing orb had a slightly shorter cooldown than the damage one.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The way that ranks are displayed and tracked now is so much better. I hated that "hide it for 7 games and then pretend that the number isn't just a number" thing.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Does no one else remember the one patch in OW1 where they tried to add movement acceleration like in other games and people hated it so much the devs quickly backed off that? If anything, it was because they took way too many years before implementing it so everyone said, “it’s not Overwatch, Overwatch is supposed to feel snappy.”

This patch is the response to the response from that old patch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
when was this?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
2018, i think it was this patch: https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/01/18/geoff-goodman-clarifies-overwatch-movement-updates/

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I guess I’m crazy. I swear it was in an OW1 PTR but the best I could find was a comment in an OW2 pre-release video from May 2021, and the many articles that reported on it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2021/05/20/overwatch-2-pvp-everything-blizzard-revealed-during-the-gameplay-stream/

quote:

Elsewhere, movement acceleration has been slowed down a touch for all heroes in the current development build. Overhealth and overshield will now be the same color on the health bar to simplify things.

There are other comments around the Internet, where they say the devs found it a contentious change even amongst themselves, and it was later removed.

Proven fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 15, 2024

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm reserving judgement on the update overall at the moment. But I will say playing healer feels kind of bad now.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

played a few placement matches and playing Ana against any kind of vaguely competent Tracer is nightmarish. I had to swap to Moira just to stay alive long enough to be useful.

EDIT: surprisingly the matchmaker was on point, all the matches were really close

EDIT2: tank continues to be the "melts in seconds" role but only slightly more so than pre-patch. they get focused down, support can't heal enough to compensate. also lol at the enemy team's tank complaining about my DVA potg "you didn't do anything DVA" yeah apart from take massive amounts of space by dominating the highground on Numbani attack you piece of poo poo.

that match was a draw too, tank was probably better than me but had no answer for DVA.

Yeah I was pocketing a Roadhog and despite my healing hose and his breather, his health bar still regularly dipped into critical. And while that was going on, my other three teammates were dying like flies. Team kills are a lot more common now. And the culprit is usually one breakout DPS player dominating the game. Sometimes you luck out and that player gets put on your team. In general it seems like people are still figuring out that survivability in general is much worse now if you're not constantly ducking back into cover.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Support definitely feels better when you're on a team that at least attempts to use cover. I don't know how quickly people are picking up on it, but that might be one of those issues that fixes itself as you get higher in rank.

I *am* noticing a lot of weird desync/lag situations that feel pretty bad rn; Moira's fade has been inconsistent where it feels like I'm taking damage that I shouldn't be when I hit it, and I've had multiple instances of hitscan weapons nailing me when it just doesn't seem possible. One time I was both behind a wall AND had the team's tank standing out of cover and in front of me, and somehow I got hit but they didn't. No noticeable lag spikes during those times so idk what's happening

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

feeling extremely validated by ML7 saying this is Ana's worst season.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Grey Fox posted:

Support definitely feels better when you're on a team that at least attempts to use cover. I don't know how quickly people are picking up on it, but that might be one of those issues that fixes itself as you get higher in rank.

I *am* noticing a lot of weird desync/lag situations that feel pretty bad rn; Moira's fade has been inconsistent where it feels like I'm taking damage that I shouldn't be when I hit it, and I've had multiple instances of hitscan weapons nailing me when it just doesn't seem possible. One time I was both behind a wall AND had the team's tank standing out of cover and in front of me, and somehow I got hit but they didn't. No noticeable lag spikes during those times so idk what's happening

The conclusion of the top ranked Moira one trick about season 9 is "Never heal". Basically it's just so inefficient now you're providing much more value by doing more damage than you are trying to shortly delay the inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwYacqSNcXo

From the description:

quote:

I'm still experimenting, but I believe that this is going to be the only way to get value over the long term, at least until changes are made. The logic is simple...

If you permanently put out huge amounts of reliable damage on the enemy team, the enemy supports will be forced to inefficiently heal instead of dealing damage themselves. This actually INCREASES your team's chances of survival and puts overwhelming pressure on the enemy team.

It's actually very difficult to basically ignore low health targets in front of me in favour of dealing damage to the enemy players, but to heal low health players who you're not going to be able to keep alive anyway is largely pointless and buys time for the enemy supports to heal up their players, or just put out even more damage onto your team.

Blizzard really need to make some changes quickly... I like the general direction they've taken, but the implementation is pretty bad. But that's expected with a patch with so many variables being changes. What matters is how quickly they make adjustments to it.

Also in the comments he mentions how Zen is totally broken right now because not only does he already follow these principles, he also amplifies damage for others. But, I also think there's going to be a big bunch of mid season changes and maybe more stuff to smooth things out over time. It's a lot of things changing, and there's always a lot of tweaks to be made.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

toadee posted:

The conclusion of the top ranked Moira one trick about season 9 is "Never heal". Basically it's just so inefficient now you're providing much more value by doing more damage than you are trying to shortly delay the inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwYacqSNcXo
oh boy lol I was doing something like this for a few matches and it was the angriest I've seen teammates in a long time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

toadee posted:

This is also why I'm getting a lot of value from Lucio. Just existing means my teammates get the same lovely heals as any other support, and he fires giant bullets and has a better boop now so damage is easier.

Contrast this to Ana who has to hit all her shots to provide any value, has no escape ability, and nade, which everyone complains about, has been nerfed so hard that it's barely any better than the DPS passive, but on a gigantic cooldown. I can't wait for every content creator who still put ana in a top tier to realise how badly she's been dumpstered, and then pretend they knew that all along.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Grey Fox posted:

oh boy lol I was doing something like this for a few matches and it was the angriest I've seen teammates in a long time

Honestly just turn off all chat in game, it's not like anyone ever has anything remotely important to say that isn't accomplished by a ping

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

toadee posted:

Honestly just turn off all chat in game, it's not like anyone ever has anything remotely important to say that isn't accomplished by a ping
yeah you're probably right, was only keeping it on for laughs until now anyway

dummies would rather die in a losing fight where they saw me trying to heal versus dying in a fight the team ultimately wins because supports focused more on damage

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I have definitely won more games on Zen than Ana this season, but I'm not giving up hope. Using your nade on teammates to push your team through a fight seems strong. My poo poo tier face-tanking teammates were benefiting from it. She can also burst the person that needs it immediately when they need it unlike most healers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The one way I think Ana benefitted this season is that Nanoboost feels insanely powerful now. It's pretty much impossible to heal through a Nano'd DPS so a well positioned soldier or sojourn can cut through the enemy backline like a knife through butter

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The one way I think Ana benefitted this season is that Nanoboost feels insanely powerful now. It's pretty much impossible to heal through a Nano'd DPS so a well positioned soldier or sojourn can cut through the enemy backline like a knife through butter

You have to be alive long enough to build a nano. Ana feels extra rough right now, kiri too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You really have to use nade on yourself and your team a LOT more often. I just had a good Ana game but only because the other team were running a poke comp. Dive, you might as well swap straight away.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

In my view, Ana is the only one that can overcome the dps passive and increased health pools by nading and really meaningfully increasing uptime against focus fire. That can often swing a fight. Most players that I encounter are still expecting that to happen for them and just stand and take shots.

headcase fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the best healers right now are the ones that can just do it passively while fighting like zen and lucio. brig is okay also but getting into melee range is hard

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That's only if you're playing old OW2. Kiriko's healing is fine if you're keeping to cover like you're supposed to now and her knives are amazing now that everyone has comical bobbleheads.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I have no doubt that zen and kiri are best if you are playing with people that are aware of their health pools and using cover.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's probably reasonable tweaks to be made to moira, like requiring her to pass a threshhold of yellow bar to be able to heal but having it dump a large amount much quicker so that you have to be more strategic about it

i don't think large in-combat heals are necessarily bad if there's some kind of restriction around them, and the changes they've made have given them a real opportunity to differentiate the supports more by giving higher risk healers like moira more in-combat power

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I've been domed several times by Hanzo and a couple others now while inarguably in cover. Not favour the shooter as I ducked, just hitbox interaction when I could not see them but their projectile could clip my headbox. It's a bit ehhh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a nice subtle change to pharah's gameplan now is that she can use conc more aggressively/against enemies more, because since she has a dedicated dash ability now she doesn't need to use conc to get into position

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Thoughts from a lifetime gold/plat shitter on the latest patch after ~50 games (mostly support/tank):

- Playing support has definitely for me been consistent with what the past couple pages of the thread suggests. Playing aggressive supports aggressively and forcing their supports into 'healing mode' seems like a really clear win condition because if they're healing and you're damaging and everything else is equal, you will make their health go to 0 before yours gets to 0 most of the time.
- Playing tank is extremely frustrating. I don't think there has ever been a meta where it felt like you had less impact on tank. I have had quite a few games where I hard outplayed the enemy tank, had an excellent K/D and personally thought I played quite well, but a single strong DPS on the enemy team hard carried the opposing team to a win - bonus unwinnable game points if the DPS carry is duo'd with a pocket support

- Tank role: Heroes with good mobility (DVA, Monkey, Ball) feel strong because it translates to survivability / Heroes with low mobility and larger hitboxes (Hog, Mauga, Zarya almost falls into this camp but at my rank she's still good because people shoot her shield all the time). It really feels if you're not moving, you're just going to melt - particularly with the proliferation of Zenyattas in almost every game. Doomfist is an exception to the mobility rule, because he feels bad for the most part even being highly mobile. I think he's not inherently tanky enough to not just get melted in this meta.
- DPS role: Spammy hitscans feel really strong (Soldier, Sojourn), I can't put my finger on why but Tracer just feels better across the board this season - she's getting a lot of play. Junkrat and Sym have been completely deleted by this patch. They need re-works now for this version of the game or they won't see play
- Support role: Heroes that put pressure on while healing are all strong (Moira, Zen, Lucio, Brig) - Heroes that previously were better at healing (LW, Mercy, Kiri) feel really weak. Ana feels like she's almost fallen into irrelevancy now with antinade because if a whole team+Zen is shooting a tank they just die anyway. Her ult being really strong is keeping her playable imo.

Overall, I think the changes are mostly good, but the tank role desperately needs a deeper look and possibly another overhaul. Most games as tank just feel like you're either the punching bag which the enemy team needs to grind through to get to your team, or your team just dies around you while you flail around like a wet noodle. The big winner with this patch was DPS, who I think have settled into a good place in the meta. As DPS, if your team is coordinating, you should be able to kill the target you're shooting at. That was a huge problem before this patch. Support, for the most part, is doing exactly what it says on the tin - you're still involved in the game and feel impactful but you're less lethal in exchange for a toolbox of utility that you can pull out for your team.

Right now tank feels so impactless because decent players in the DPS and support roles just have a lot of tools to play around tanks and turn them into an irrelevancy or delete them, with little counter-play available to the tank. I think the missing piece is that a good tank should be able to keep a good DPS in check and stop them running away with the game. I have no idea how they would do that without completely changing how the tank role interacts with the other roles. They also need to give the healers who don't inherently apply pressure a clearer win condition.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

toadee posted:

I think i got banned from one of the OW discords for saying this exact thing, because it's "toxic". But you're right

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I am once more begging my stupid loving teammates to stop rushing into 1v5s ESPECIALLY when dps can melt you in seconds

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sojourn is such a boring loving character and now it's even easier for sweats to get value out of her.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I like a lot of the changes in what I've played so far, speaking as a bronze-tier casual QP player. But god loving drat, some of this makes me laugh. They added a timer before you can leave a match. Like, I try my damnedest to not ragequit games, if I feel myself getting that salty I try to just take a break entirely. When my entire lovely team is getting 1v5ed over and over by a Tracer smurf though, six seconds are not going to change my mind on if I want to stick around.

:rubby:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mind over Matter posted:

I like a lot of the changes in what I've played so far, speaking as a bronze-tier casual QP player. But god loving drat, some of this makes me laugh. They added a timer before you can leave a match. Like, I try my damnedest to not ragequit games, if I feel myself getting that salty I try to just take a break entirely. When my entire lovely team is getting 1v5ed over and over by a Tracer smurf though, six seconds are not going to change my mind on if I want to stick around.

:rubby:

yeah they also made it so you can't do "leave as group" during a match anymore, so if you want to drop out of a game, you have to dissolve and then reform your entire group.

that's a frontrunner for dumbest change they've ever made

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, regardless of how you feel about the hitbox and balance changes, the changes to "punish" leavers in quickplay are ALSO among a series of bad decisions the tone-deaf dev team has made recently.

Last time I logged to play a couple games the other day to mess around, I accidentally queued for open queue in QP, immediate got a game, then immediately left because I only wanted normal role queue. The game decided that I shouldn't be able to queue for 30 minutes for whatever reason as a result, which makes me not really keen on trying to play for a few weeks.

I'm not sure exactly who is complaining about people leaving QP games, a mode that is so disconnected from the authentic OW experience that talking on voice for any kind of strategic purpose is usually met with silence, followed by someone else reluctantly responding "You do know this is quickplay right?". You essentially have games full of people that don't really care what happens in their game just playing to mess around, so punishing people who get bored of practice games that don't count for anything, filled with players multiple standard deviations apart in skill level to make the queue be almost instant every time is a pretty nonsensical move.

Players: It's QP mentality
Devs: We'll see about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I've only grumped about leavers because I hate backfilling into a losing game nearly 1/3 of my games, when their stupid dailies/weeklies required wins. They've since changed the dailies/weeklies and I've stopped playing, or giving a poo poo when I cave when my OW friends want to hang out.

But yeah, go on, punish your casuals with not letting them play your game. They'll stop coming around when they get fed up enough. Talk about alienating your audience.