Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hubris dot mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:stonklol:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I came home drunk the other night and somehow managed to get a god run together and welp

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One of those spawned for me, but something around me killed it and I didn't get credit :sigh:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

AceClown posted:

I came home drunk the other night and somehow managed to get a god run together and welp

Heartbreaker bros :hfive:

In other news, I found a wand with always-cast Nuke Orbit in the Coal Pits and welp I don't know what I expected

https://i.imgur.com/votPmlR.mp4

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I at least had the good sense to fire my always-cast nuke orbit wand in an open area. :v:

It's a surprisingly effective weapon as long as you can dodge the launched rocks (including the loving single pixel you can't see that does 80 damage :mad: )

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

This game fun. I like it. Boom boom pow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hubris dot mp4

basically the same sensation I feel when I watch a video of someone working near a lathe

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Nope dont like that. Dont trust that.

It's amazing how deeply ingrained that feeling is. It's like my ancestors spent tens of thousands of years learning to fear and hate sawblades.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean our ancestors hated everything with huge teeth and sawblades are basically overly optimized teeth. :v:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean our ancestors hated everything with huge teeth and sawblades are basically overly optimized teeth. :v:
This is the only good evo psych hypothesis anyone has made; congrats Lt. Lizard.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i am a noita newb and just discovered alchemic precursor in the dumbest way possible

I ran into a lance sentry for the first time in the underground jungle and it killed me with 50k in my pockets before i truly understood what was happening. what's weird is that i chaotic polymorphed into one to sneak out of the holy mountain right before. this one hurts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh yeah those guys are motherfuckers.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

KillHour posted:

It's amazing how deeply ingrained that feeling is. It's like my ancestors spent tens of thousands of years learning to fear and hate sawblades.

Embrace the sawblades

https://i.imgur.com/NtaaYrQ.mp4

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Situation Noita, All Fine Underground

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I apparently keep forgetting that earthquake debris is dangerously janky

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
did you actually get killed by physics damage there?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Teased by another lackluster patch! We've got to be close to getting a big update the main branch, surely!?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Gromit posted:

Teased by another lackluster patch!

What is this bullshit? Every new line of code that lands in Noita is a shimmering, perfect blessing. Even the tiniest complaint cannot be tolerated lest it spook the devs and they don't come back out for another 2 years! Think before you speak!

What you should have said is "I love playing on the beta branch! Maybe they'll add support for saving death replay with sound, maybe as .mp4!"

:razz:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I would really like that actually

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maybe they'll remove healing entirely.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just had a run where fireworks were going off constantly? The screen would NOT stop shaking. It was wild. And then Steve hunted me down and murdered me.

in the MINES

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

likely from a couple puddles of potion in the fungal caves mixing into guiding powder

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
til the homing perk applies to freezing fields, it's pretty sick to have a bunch of them locking down mobs for you on autopilot.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

resistentialism posted:

likely from a couple puddles of potion in the fungal caves mixing into guiding powder

fungal caverns wouldn't cause explosions you could feel all the way in the mines, that would be through a layer of holy mountain or EDR

unseen wand ghost, maybe

Somberbrero posted:

til the homing perk applies to freezing fields, it's pretty sick to have a bunch of them locking down mobs for you on autopilot.

and circle of vigor! that one's less helpful though

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Zamujasa posted:

and circle of vigor! that one's less helpful though

Funniest thing with circle of vigor is to have one or several of the repulsion field/cone perks active

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The sawblade gif has me playing this again.

Even with guides I can't seem to find an idea of what my objective is. I assume the default one is just "keep descending until you kill a big boss and the credits roll?"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

The sawblade gif has me playing this again.

Even with guides I can't seem to find an idea of what my objective is. I assume the default one is just "keep descending until you kill a big boss and the credits roll?"

The straightforward objective is to simply descend to the bottom, kill the endboss, and get the thingy, yeah. There are some funky (and usually pretty challenging) alternative win conditions, too, and tons of secrets and optional bosses. Explore and see what you can find. Discover exciting new ways to die. Commit acts of hubris and earn your rightful reward.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the ultimate losing condition in noita is when death becomes impossible to attain

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

the ultimate losing condition in noita is when death becomes impossible to attain

Clearly I have a long way to go, because I can’t fathom being anything but a little squishy deathmagnet

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is my one major dislike with the game - not knowing any sort of progression to unlock things in a sensible order, so you aren't banging your head against areas that you are underpowered for, and not knowing what to do next. I've made tons of notes about the best way to kill things and what needs to be done to unlock different spells etc.

Here's is what I came up with, and you can Google for key words (in bold) if you want to learn more about what/where these things are or you can try and discover them yourself. But this is purely my own thoughts - there are many ways to play.

Yes, start by just getting down to the bottom (well, not really but it is at this point in the game) and killing Kolmi. Doing that a few times will get you good game experience. You need to learn what different monsters do so you can better kill/avoid them later, and visiting their areas and dying to them is what gives you that.

If the game is pissing you off, consider installing a health regen mod until you get used to playing, then remove it. I had to do this or else I would have shelved this game years ago.

Once you can kill Kolmi on a good number of runs, you are ready to up your game:
1. If you have explosives that can detonate on a trigger wand or something, digging, and teleport by the time you hit the Snowy Depths, go kill the Alchemist by taking the path up on the right of the Snowy Depths. This will unlock the Greek spells, and it is those that will allow you to dominate this game. If the Alchemist hurt you a lot there is a full heal under the big tree in the flooded dark area left of the Collapsed Mines. If you manage that you can probably go kill the Pyramid boss too.
2. Work your way down until you reach Kolmi. You can kill him now or not - up to you but he gets tougher the more of those Heart Orbs you pick up.
3. Now you need to get a good wand build going. You're going to want to learn about spell-wrapping, chainsaws, spark bolt with trigger that dumps multiple payloads, etc etc. You need a wand that really deals it out as at this point you are going to go boss hunting to unlock more good spells.
4. Some creatures/bosses are immune to things, so don't be surprised that you are wrecking everything and then visit somewhere like the Lukki Lair or Power Plant and get your poo poo pushed in immediately. Approach new areas tentatively and try to shoot a lone new enemy a bit first to see if you can kill it before gliding straight in like the reaping wind you think you are.
5. Polymorph is the run killer. Be on the lookup for that pink poo poo, and enemies that produce it. If you have homing weapons, know what the hell that mage fucker with the shot that makes your stuff home back onto you looks like. The shield perk has saved me from that prick SO many times.
6. Some bosses have a gimmick you must learn in order to kill them. Master of Masters (who unlocks the Nolla spell on death, and that is more useful than you might think) has balls that can reflect damage if you don't hit them in the right order (ooooer!), the Gate Guardian requires you to throw 3 eggs at him first, the Pit Boss duplicates your shots back at you, the Forgotten needs to to use the Evil Eye to make him vulnerable and so on.
7. There are some amazing wands at the top of The Tower. With blackholes you can dig in from the top and not have to fight all the stuff in order to get them.
8. The perk that lets you tinker with wands anywhere is the ultimate (Master of Masters drops a stone that lets you do it when wielded, too).
9. Go to the Overgrown Cavern to find tons of wands and health pickups. With tinkering, you can get a ton of useful spells here.
10. Learn the Heart Mage trick to get your health way up there. I will generally have a few thousand health in my runs, but I've gone nuts with visiting parallel worlds and breaking the reroll machines to get millions of health.
11. Realise that some damage scales with your maximum health. Fire damage isn't so bad when you have 90 out of 100 health. But if your max is 1000 and you are on 100, fire will kill you VERY quickly.
12. New Game+ exists, and there is an achievement for getting to NG+++. You need to take the salt from killing Kolmi up to the Mountain Altar.

There is a SHITLOAD in this game, and still some secrets not solved. Advanced players will look at the Sun Quest, which is a very long process and requires serious skills and loadouts. You can load the Crystal Key with music to unlock hidden chests - there's a bunch of stuff you need to do to get access to all the spells. Let alone all the biomes and hidden areas off the beaten path. Don't be afraid to look at a Noita world map online to see what's out there unless you consider that a spoiler.

The Protagonist posted:

Haha, yeah. I've had to quit a run because I couldn't die before, but I have a dark sun now so that helps if it happens again.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 17, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gromit posted:

This is my one major dislike with the game - not knowing any sort of progression to unlock things in a sensible order, so you aren't banging your head against areas that you are underpowered for, and not knowing what to do next. I've made tons of notes about the best way to kill things and what needs to be done to unlock different spells etc.

Here's is what I came up with, and you can Google for key words (in bold) if you want to learn more about what/where these things are or you can try and discover them yourself. But this is purely my own thoughts - there are many ways to play.

Yes, start by just getting down to the bottom (well, not really but it is at this point in the game) and killing Kolmi. Doing that a few times will get you good game experience. You need to learn what different monsters do so you can better kill/avoid them later, and visiting their areas and dying to them is what gives you that.

If the game is pissing you off, consider installing a health regen mod until you get used to playing, then remove it. I had to do this or else I would have shelved this game years ago.

Once you can kill Kolmi on a good number of runs, you are ready to up your game:
1. If you have explosives that can detonate on a trigger wand or something, digging, and teleport by the time you hit the Snowy Depths, go kill the Alchemist by taking the path up on the right of the Snowy Depths. This will unlock the Greek spells, and it is those that will allow you to dominate this game. If the Alchemist hurt you a lot there is a full heal under the big tree in the flooded dark area left of the Collapsed Mines. If you manage that you can probably go kill the Pyramid boss too.
2. Work your way down until you reach Kolmi. You can kill him now or not - up to you but he gets tougher the more of those Heart Orbs you pick up.
3. Now you need to get a good wand build going. You're going to want to learn about spell-wrapping, chainsaws, spark bolt with trigger that dumps multiple payloads, etc etc. You need a wand that really deals it out as at this point you are going to go boss hunting to unlock more good spells.
4. Some creatures/bosses are immune to things, so don't be surprised that you are wrecking everything and then visit somewhere like the Lukki Lair or Power Plant and get your poo poo pushed in immediately. Approach new areas tentatively and try to shoot a lone new enemy a bit first to see if you can kill it before gliding straight in like the reaping wind you think you are.
5. Polymorph is the run killer. Be on the lookup for that pink poo poo, and enemies that produce it. If you have homing weapons, know what the hell that mage fucker with the shot that makes your stuff home back onto you looks like. The shield perk has saved me from that prick SO many times.
6. Some bosses have a gimmick you must learn in order to kill them. Master of Masters (who unlocks the Nolla spell on death, and that is more useful than you might think) has balls that can reflect damage if you don't hit them in the right order (ooooer!), the Gate Guardian requires you to throw 3 eggs at him first, the Pit Boss duplicates your shots back at you, the Forgotten needs to to use the Evil Eye to make him vulnerable and so on.
7. There are some amazing wands at the top of The Tower. With blackholes you can dig in from the top and not have to fight all the stuff in order to get them.
8. The perk that lets you tinker with wands anywhere is the ultimate (Master of Masters drops a stone that lets you do it when wielded, too).
9. Go to the Overgrown Cavern to find tons of wands and health pickups. With tinkering, you can get a ton of useful spells here.
10. Learn the Heart Mage trick to get your health way up there. I will generally have a few thousand health in my runs, but I've gone nuts with visiting parallel worlds and breaking the reroll machines to get millions of health.
11. Realise that some damage scales with your maximum health. Fire damage isn't so bad when you have 90 out of 100 health. But if your max is 1000 and you are on 100, fire will kill you VERY quickly.
12. New Game+ exists, and there is an achievement for getting to NG+++. You need to take the salt from killing Kolmi up to the Mountain Altar.

There is a SHITLOAD in this game, and still some secrets not solved. Advanced players will look at the Sun Quest, which is a very long process and requires serious skills and loadouts. You can load the Crystal Key with music to unlock hidden chests - there's a bunch of stuff you need to do to get access to all the spells. Let alone all the biomes and hidden areas off the beaten path. Don't be afraid to look at a Noita world map online to see what's out there unless you consider that a spoiler.

Haha, yeah. I've had to quit a run because I couldn't die before, but I have a dark sun now so that helps if it happens again.

Quoting this because it's great and I want to find it again

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

drat that’s a great post, thank you! Really helps contextualize wtf I’m even doing in the game.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am still not even at the "Once you can kill Kolmi" part. :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i am firmly of the opinion that there is no shame in using health regen or no-permadeath mods to play this because it really is fuckin hard and mods are there to be used

that said, i would absolutely prioritize learning how wands work before focusing on other things. you don't have to be an expert, but just being able to look at a wand, fire it, and understand why it acts the way it does is essential.

once you know how to make good wands, you can use those good wands to demolish bosses and make great ones.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

The Protagonist posted:

I accidentally did this after smashing the suns together and triggering the ending. Not even rapid-casting touch of gold could reduce my HP below 1. Couldn't stain myself to get rid of the armor, or find an enemy to polymorph me. I ended up corrupting my save trying to end noita's life even harder.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

i am firmly of the opinion that there is no shame in using health regen or no-permadeath mods to play this because it really is fuckin hard and mods are there to be used

that said, i would absolutely prioritize learning how wands work before focusing on other things. you don't have to be an expert, but just being able to look at a wand, fire it, and understand why it acts the way it does is essential.

once you know how to make good wands, you can use those good wands to demolish bosses and make great ones.
adding on to this: one of the guides on the noita wiki that really helped me understand wands better than anything else was an "expert" article that reconceptualizes wands and spellcasting as playing & discarding cards from a deck

doesn't really explain the stats on a wand, there's other articles for that, but understanding what a wand was gonna do when I clicked was always baffling to me until I read that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 17, 2024

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Its not so much a recontextualization as how it is literally implemented.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Its not so much a recontextualization as how it is literally implemented.
i was gonna ask about that but totally forgot to lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Projectile modifiers, utility spells, projectiles etc. are all purely cosmetic terms displayed to the player. Spells are actually cards with associated Lua code, when you click the button the top card is drawn from the deck into your hand and it's Lua code is run (assuming there's enough mana in the wand). The Lua code can modify the current casting context, add projectiles to the cast or do basically anything else the engine allows. It can also recursively draw additional cards, which passes a copy of the casting context on the stack frame to the next card's Lua code. At the end of the cast, your hand is moved into the discard pile. When your deck is empty, the gun reloads. If it's a non-shuffle wand, the contents of your wand's inventory is copied into the deck in the order specified, if it is a shuffle wand, the inventory gets randomly permuted before getting inserted into the deck.

Chainsaw is broken in that it does cast_delay = 0 instead of cast_delay = cast_delay - whatever.

Wand Refresh is broken in that it hand-rolled emptying your current hand and the remainder of the deck into the discard pile and then moving the discard back to the deck, which means at the end of the spell cast your current hand is empty, and when the game looks through your hand for limited use spells in need of decrementing, it doesn't find them. (Wand Refresh also uses "refresh" and "reload" instead of the player-visible term "Recharge", presumably because they realized how badly they hosed up and just threw up their hands and left it in the game.)