Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Thanlis posted:

The policy went up after most of the resignations; it reads a little bit like shutting the barn door after he realized how angry the horses were. And the horses were angry because he wasn’t agreeing to not use AI.

Called it, as did 3 Action Economist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

FMguru posted:

All that weirdness around Evil Genius Games seems to have gotten some journalism done about it: https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-evil-genius-games.702617/

I had definitely been confusing Evil Genius and Evil Hat, and am very thankful that the latter isn't the one having the scandal

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you're doing this on facebook I'd be careful about giving details here. Someone will probably tattle about your posts here and might be able to doxx you from cross-comparing poo poo.

Hey not a bad idea.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lol if I had known this a month ago, none of this would come as a surprise.

(Sorry for the screenshot, ENWorld seems to have some sort of overlay thing that fucks up normal text selection.)

EDIT: these guys are always like this

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 15, 2024

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What the gently caress do you need blockchain and NFT's for in ttrpg development?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Betting on NFTs in 2024...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Of all the possible places for a gang of rich techbros to try their luck at being "disruptors", they chose the famously low-margin/low-sales TTRPG industry for some drat reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pvt.Scott posted:

What the gently caress do you need blockchain and NFT's for in ttrpg development?

I mean if they did it like 2 years ago they likely could have ran some dumb investor for money and gotten a bag

In 2024, loving lmao.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dave sounds like a great boss.

Oh never mind it's just a dozen people making stuff up for no good reason.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Dexo posted:

I mean if they did it like 2 years ago they likely could have ran some dumb investor for money and gotten a bag

In 2024, loving lmao.
You know this whole discussion ended up reminding me that apparently Gripnr is still a thing and Im so tempted to see sign up for it to see what happened with it.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I had definitely been confusing Evil Genius and Evil Hat, and am very thankful that the latter isn't the one having the scandal
Wait until you learn the former editor of Evil Genius Games Owen K Stephens runs Rogue Genius Games. :P

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
He's certainly convinced of his ingeniousness, huh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Oh never mind it's just a dozen people making stuff up for no good reason.

Oh, thank goodness, he investigated himself and found no wrongdoing.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

MadScientistWorking posted:

You know this whole discussion ended up reminding me that apparently Gripnr is still a thing and Im so tempted to see sign up for it to see what happened with it.

I'm still in the discord, it has gone absolutely nowhere as far as being a nft platform, they're basically charging roughly the usual paid GM prices to play the same 3-4 adventures on a vtt over and over.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

xiw posted:

I'm still in the discord, it has gone absolutely nowhere as far as being a nft platform, they're basically charging roughly the usual paid GM prices to play the same 3-4 adventures on a vtt over and over.

This is that service where you pay to have someone give you a level 12 barbarian who earned the scars and magic items because someone played through some modules, right?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FMguru posted:

All that weirdness around Evil Genius Games seems to have gotten some journalism done about it: https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-evil-genius-games.702617/

The link to the 'Web 3 White Paper' gives you insight into some wonderfully stupid ideas for monetizing RPGs. My favorite is the idea that a real chef could make money selling meals to player characters for an in-game buff.

I don't know if it's funnier if Scott was knowingly scamming crypto bros with idiotic ideas, or if he was actually delusional enough to think these were workable concepts himself.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Just Winging It posted:

NFTs in 2024...

Dexo posted:

In 2024, loving lmao.

Holy shiiiit. What a loving moron.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I didn't see this scrolling back, have we talked about it?

https://boardgamewire.com/index.php/2024/02/13/magic-dd-maker-hasbro-lost-over-1bn-in-q4-predicts-wotc-revenue-decline-in-2024/

Latest earnings report from Hasbro is a disaster, they lost a billion last year and whilst Wizards performs well they expect it to be less successful next year due to no BG3-scale release on the horizon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shrug, any losses are going to be mitigated by layoffs(I love this financial system woo)

Also that just said largely WotC isn't going to outperform expectations due to no BG3.

Rip to the rest of Hasbro tho lmao.

Most of this just comes down to we didn't make all the money, and also we took a bath trimming the company down this year from selling that TV and Movie company.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 15, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, they can always make up those losses by firing more creative personnel from the only division showing a profit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Laying people off can juice your numbers but Hasbro doesn't have enough employees left to lay off a literal billion dollars worth.

Like if they literally laid off everyone the average salary at Hasbro would have to be six figures to get a billion dollars. Hasbro don't pay that well.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 15, 2024

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
How the heck do you even lose a billion dollars while owning D&D, D&D Beyond, and Magic?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

So, The layoffs they already made last December and earlier this year were in response to these numbers. This is just when they had to make their report on what happened.

The "billion" dollar loss isn't "real" money lol. It's share price value. *pours one out for the poor Hasbro shareholders*

quote:

Adjusted operating profit of $477 million and adjusted operating margin of 9.5%, including non-recurring inventory costs.

Hasbro made a total of like 477 millon profit last year lol. They just didn't hit their projections and underperformed which in our lovely economic system matters far more than like actually making money.

But the headlines "HASBRO LOSES 1BN DOLLARS" are so much more sexy than "Hasbro's shares drop like 10 bux due to underperformance, and taking a bath writing down and selling a film and entertainment branch."

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 15, 2024

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh, so no real loss at all. Just have to do something pointlessly cruel to get stock traders turned on again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Oh, so no real loss at all. Just have to do something pointlessly cruel to get stock traders turned on again.

:911:

Like it's a "loss". But not something that dooms you at that level.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's time once again for "Hasbro stock price comparisons for lols"

Hasbro stock is down 10% in the last year. The Invesco Leisure and Entertainment ETF (PEJ) (the closest Industry analog I could find) and the Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund (VIMAX) are both up about 4% and 4.4% over the same period respectively.

Over the last 5 years, Hasbro stock is down 39.3%. PEJ is only up .78% while VIMAX is up nearly 48%.

For what it's worth, the S&P 500 was up 20.69% last year and 80.34% in the last five.

lol

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

hyphz posted:

How the heck do you even lose a billion dollars while owning D&D, D&D Beyond, and Magic?

The number must always go up. Always. It's 21st century Captialism baybay!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Terrible Opinions posted:

quote:

Hasbro paid out $388m in cash dividends to shareholders last year, and paid down its debt by more than $500m.

Company CEO Chris Cocks, who earns about $1.5m each year, said, “Guided by our strategy of ‘Fewer, Bigger, Better’, we had important wins across both toys and games while making progress in our transformation during a challenging 2023.

"And by "Fewer, Bigger, Better" we're talking about salary structure!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

The number must always go up. Always. It's 21st century Captialism baybay!

I asked what about slow, steady gains that show an increase overall and would provide a foundation for even more in the future and they tossed me out a window.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

KingKalamari posted:

"And by "Fewer, Bigger, Better" we're talking about salary structure!"

Well they’re certainly not talking about MTG releases.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

hyphz posted:

Like the games, it's all made up by a group of players who agree to a shared fiction it's real.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hasbro wants to be a clearinghouse for their brands, and not actually make anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it’s basically patent trolling but for gamer body pillows.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1758655172992254200

Hasbro is about to make their money back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Only so many board games can be turned into movies. Clue? Sure, classic whodunit. But you couldn't make a movie out of a game like battleship, that would be stupid.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Clue already has a perfect movie that can never be outdone.

Although maybe a Muppet version....

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
IPs should be like Kleenex. Soft, strong, and disposable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ive never heard of this game, it's like among us meets great gatsby? those are popular, they could pull it off. characters moving around different rooms to do the tasks, people caught alone getting killed, the drama of the votes, ejecting the wrong person...

Leraika posted:

IPs should be like Kleenex. Soft, strong, and disposable.

:neckbeard:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's already a Clue movie, Knives Out

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's already a Clue movie, Knives Out

Glass Onion was based on Fireball Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

In video games, it's common to remaster old games when they are so great that remaking them would inevitably be worse.

Why can't they just do that with movies? I'd take my kids to the theater to watch Clue (1985). There's no way whatever slop they make today will be better than that.