Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

supersnowman posted:

Most attritional battle probably go like that. It holds until you run out of at least one key item and then, it all falls down. We will probably see many of these which will slowly create the same effect on the global front over at least many months. My guess is manpower will be the cause for the front to collapse down the line.
Yeah but importantly attrition and defensive fighting has to have a.... point, a strategy, some objectives behind it. e.g. you need to hold [X] to buy time to do [Y] / hope for a better deal.

as far as we've seen, ukraine has no actual defensive strategy other than the The West egging them on to "we're giving the orks a bloody nose!!!" (actual phrase repeated by liberals) which is insanely loving stupid and waste of lives and resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Flournival Dixon posted:

in rts games like starcraft, in a professional match, you'll basically never see the screen that the game puts up when you win or lose a game because people will always surrender when their defeat is guranteed. as a result, most casual viewers of professional play won't often see what the demolition of all enemy structures looks like on the way to the end screen that the game has programmed in

we're currently watching the part that nobody thought they'd see because rational thinking adults all expected a surrender, so it's just been watching Ukraine be slowly taken apart and exhausted on the battlefield. the nazis will probably never surrender so russia's just going to have to keep slowly going and going and going and applying moderate pressure until the state collapses entirely

donestk has finally been liberated though, and that probably wouldn't have happened if Ukraine took any of the huge number of offramps available to them at any point in the last couple years so i guess it's for the best

Can't qq out of real life battles indeed.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ISW went from using literally dozens of sources, including original research, in their articles before 2022, to relying on the Ukrainian military's Facebook page.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the west strikes the russian navy

russia strikes back at navalny

makes u think

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Xaris posted:

Yeah but importantly attrition and defensive fighting has to have a.... point, a strategy, some objectives behind it. e.g. you need to hold [X] to buy time to do [Y] / hope for a better deal.

as far as we've seen, ukraine has no actual defensive strategy other than the The West egging them on to "we're giving the orks a bloody nose!!!" (actual phrase repeated by liberals) which is insanely loving stupid and waste of lives and resources

The strategy now is to hold out and maybe a bunch of miracles happen consecutively that lets Ukraine regain all its territory.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

VoicesCanBe posted:

The strategy now is to hold out and maybe a bunch of miracles happen consecutively that lets Ukraine regain all its territory.

maybe zelensky is very busy planning a new 9/11 to blow up the new WTC or the met and blame it on russia so latvia and finland will join the war...? that'd be a good strategy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well if we take what Zelenskyy's anonymous confidants said in that article that came out last year where the reporter spoke to a bunch of his personal aides and people that work in close proximity to him the plan from Ukraine is to try and limit Russia to capturing 1 significant center (Bakhmut size or bigger) a year.. Avdiivka may or may not count depending on how highly you rate it's importance to Ukraine as a symbol / strategic position / fortress city. If it does count they are off to a bad start in 2024 lol. I guess the rationale is that if they can drag this out there comes a point where Russia decides it's not worth spending months or years trying to capture a town with a pre-war population of 100,000 while there are dozens more to go..

not clear if Ukraine has the resources to accomplish that at this point.. things seem to be going pretty bad, and the word is that the defensive belts that Ukraine has tried to prepare between the current front line and some of these larger objectives are in a pitiable state.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm not as up on the Ukr/Rus conflict especially since Israel stepped up the genocide in Palestine, but what has changed recently in Ukraine? Is it just a matter of Russia finally exhausting Ukrainian resources? From what I've been seeing it seems like Ukraine is getting really desperate in terms of manpower and I don't see how they can come back from not having enough troops to put on the line.

Ukraine doesn't have any artillery shells left because they spent 8 years firing them at civilians in Donetsk before Russia invaded and now their Western allies can't reliably produce and/or aren't willing to supply any

dk2m
May 6, 2009
lol they really sent the azov guys there just to get routed immediately

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Chillgamesh posted:

Who buys this poo poo lol

looking at those engagement numbers, no one lol

no one is even listening to the wests dumbshit propaganda anymore, maybe gbs and the reddit brigade?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ukraine was gay and we never cared about it anyways

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

dk2m posted:

lol they really sent the azov guys there just to get routed immediately

I'd love to know which of these three possibilites it was

1 they wanted to get them killed and sent Azov on a suicide mission
2 they eat their own bullshit and still think Azov would turn it around with their sheer badassery
3 it was an act of desperation like yeah we got nothing else, send those guys in I guess

3 seems most likely but I want to believe 1

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

my bony fealty posted:

3 seems most likely but I want to believe 1
probably both 2 & 3. though it is funny coincidental timing-wise that as soon as the z-man sacked the zz guy (who was protecting them), they were immediately sent in

one thing that it's not clear if azov guys went in, got bombed, and then pulled back on their own accord because they have an independent power structure which no other unit can do. or if they were ordered to do a tactical retrograde maneuver. it seems like they withdrew on their own accord

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

homo joker racking up L after L this week

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/15/rate-of-russian-military-production-worries-european-war-planners

quote:

The transformation has put defence at the centre of Russia’s economy. Putin claimed this month that 520,000 new jobs had been created in the military-industrial complex, which now employs an estimated 3.5 million Russians, or 2.5% of the population. Machinists and welders in Russian factories producing war equipment are now making more money than many white-collar managers and lawyers, according to a Moscow Times analysis of Russian labour data in November.

Hahahahahahhaha

You know whoever wrote this is absolutely seething that there exists a place where blue collar workers make more than someone like him

edit:

quote:

Much of this was baked into Russia’s military-industrial complex, a sprawling behemoth of nearly 6,000 companies, many of which rarely turned a profit before the war. But what it lacked in efficiency, it made up for in spare capacity and flexibility when the Russian government suddenly ramped up defence production in 2022.

Ahahahhahaha

The liberals will learn absolutely nothing from this

Boat Stuck has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Feb 17, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Putin is going to stumble backwards into war communism

just needs a train he can ride around like Trotsky

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao his name is Fail?!?!?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think Russia put alot of elite troops in the Adiivka encirclement. Maybe Putin wanted a solid win before the election.

How many tattoos do troopers need to become elite? I'm thinking at least 3.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Boat Stuck posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/15/rate-of-russian-military-production-worries-european-war-planners

Hahahahahahhaha

You know whoever wrote this is absolutely seething that there exists a place where blue collar workers make more than someone like him

edit:

Ahahahhahaha

The liberals will learn absolutely nothing from this

i hate these loving cunts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

How many tattoos do troopers need to become elite? I'm thinking at least 3.

1. Classic MOM heart
2. Ex wife's name somewhere prominent
3. A tasteful pick from the Nazi iconography page of the catalogue

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

everyone in russie will realize that pure john maynard keynesianism is the extremely easy bingo way to make everyone happy

oh, do you want to make everyone happy? well, guess what,

there is an extremely easy way to do that:

force the billionaire worthless parasite pieces of poo poo from hell to relinquish their pedophile hedonism luxury fund

just force them

FDR did it, its called "inflation"

and the west had told all of its slaves that "inflation" is actually bad

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

and we PUMMEL and PUMMEL russia AGAIN and AGAIN

with this terrible hammer,

where we FORCE THEIR BILLIONAIRES

to GIVE MONEY

TO THE WORKING CLASS

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

WAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Herbert Hoover was on track to be the wealthiest billionaire of the 1930s.

Thats how you know hes the biggest pedophile piece of poo poo who deserves to die, but also, he was president

His wealth relied on his holdings Tsarist russia

He had simply bribed a bunch of pieces of poo poo "boyars" who had no laws

and the "jewish bolsheviks" stole his money

so he and all wealthy people, were sick and tired of this "communism" and the perfidious "JEWS" who created it......

they invaded russia to murder as many as possible in what is called the "archangel expedition" god drat their souls to hell

anti-communism is NOT SEPARATE from anti-semitism

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

FABs > trenches

This is the way.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

HOLD ON HOLD UP

Lets say that i Extremely hate..... JUDEO BOLSHEVISM!!!

Judeo Bolshevism sounds very bad, and , above all, terrifying. It is, terrorism, after all, we all know.

BUT WHAT ABOUT

JUDEO ... anything else?

JUDEO CAPITALISM??? aw haw

aw haw yeah thats.... mmm....

i forgot why we said judeo bolshevism

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

we need bolshevism to have a new brand, because i am now anti-israel, which, is i think sensitive

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

anti-hitler bolshevism

there we go

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*looks at camera* WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

*grabs the camera*

did it?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

but also how relatively poor everyone was, compared to the West, but also just how it was a normal functioning society to grow up in.

what exactly do people mean when they say this do they think westerners are rich because we all own cars

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly do people mean when they say this do they think westerners are rich because we all own cars
there was a misunderstanding

Cool Bear has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Feb 17, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto posted:

looks like there was an ethnic opposition figurehead in the works already

https://twitter.com/freerussia2025/status/1747632673634320874

April 2023:

Majorian posted:

Vyacheslav, Crusher of the Bashkorts.

What did Majorian know, and when did he know it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

:biglips: what should we name our beautiful baby boy honey?
:troll: how about 'fail'?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

ukraine was gay and we never cared about it anyways

russian invaded because they were buttmad over minsk

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

Putin is going to stumble backwards into war communism

just needs a train he can ride around like Trotsky

Russia is using armored trains though I don't think one of them has been in a notable battle yet.

https://twitter.com/DD_Geopolitics/status/1634771065758175235

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it was hopeless enough not even the AFU knew they could attempt to hold it any longer. The problem is just it was such a defensible location, the Russians are just to have easier targets out there.

Also, presumably the Ukrainians may have gotten some troops out but it probably wasn't that many considering how tight the encirclement was. The Russians may have enough time for another smaller scale push before the late spring/summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's weird seeing the entire western media weeping performative tears about Navalny, knowing that he was a completely marginal figure with political opinions that the liberals writing these headlimes would normally reject.