Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

uber_stoat posted:

also look up a Japanese artist name of Sorayama. he sort of took the concept and got nutty with it. and then a fashion designer decided to make it into outfits. people are saying that's the original outfit from back in the 90s which is pretty wild... that it even fits properly if so.

Heh, wonder if that's what Venture Bros was referencing with Mike Soroyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, wonder if that's what Venture Bros was referencing with Mike Soroyama.

maaaaybe

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i dont know much about zendaya, but she seems to rule???

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
:10bux: ATJ is Alia of the Knife and I'm here for it

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Abomination!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

thedangergroove posted:

I just think a role and a star's face that were ripe for some cgi weirdness, it'd be that. More info here: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1758202725718700342
They're supposedly a major character they didn't want to spoil.

That there is Shai-Hulud emerging from the eternal sands to consume a trawler.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
anya taylor joy as The Sandtrout

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nah she’s playing Jeff

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
geoff's gambit, in which you get immediately shanked by my dead friend jamis, is a baffling chess opening

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 16, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm 100% here for ATJ being adult Alia. Absolute brilliant casting.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I wonder what change to the story the film makes for Alia to be an adult.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flakey posted:

In the book she like…leaves pseudo-telepathic prescience messages for Paul so they can communicate while she’s in imperial custody. I forget how this works exactly but there’s no reason why these prescience messages couldn’t be delivered by Anya Taylor Joy as opposed to a freakish chattering infant.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i dont know much about zendaya, but she seems to rule???

lol She definitely does not rule

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Zendaya is Meechee.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, ATJ should at least appear as Alia in prescient visions in Dune 2, and in the flesh in Dune 3.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
ATJ is a model/ambassador where I work and I gotta see her weird face and dumb cheekbones like twelve hours a day and I'm sick of it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Flakey posted:

Maybe it can be like how they revived Colin Robinson in What We Do In the Shadows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The outfit's definitely hinting Alia, right? It's reminiscent of all the previous depictions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Soul Dentist posted:

ATJ is a model/ambassador where I work and I gotta see her weird face and dumb cheekbones like twelve hours a day and I'm sick of it

Lmao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Stephen Mckinley Henderson is a model/ambassador where I work and I get to see his wise face and luminous eyes like twelve hours a day and I'm enamored of it

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Stephen Mckinley Henderson is a model/ambassador where I work and I get to see his wise face and luminous eyes like twelve hours a day and I'm enamored of it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

ask him if you can borrow his sick parasol.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Signed, Fremen in Alia's Arrakeen

Some have started calling her Dark Baron and photoshopping red eyes on her on Frembook

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
IT IS FREMEN, NOT FREMBOMINATION!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Soul Dentist posted:

She looks like Alita: Battle Angel.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

wanna trade jobs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh woe is me I have to see Anna Taylor Joy every day

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's just a picture of her calm down

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

Signed, Fremen in Alia's Arrakeen

Some have started calling her Dark Baron and photoshopping red eyes on her on Frembook

I heard that she is constantly messaging twinks on the melange dating app

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
God emperor of dune was the best book.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I liked the part in the Lynch version where Alia sassed the emperor.

In fact, thinking about it the Emperor really got made into a chump. First he's kissing salamander rear end to the spacing guild (when they say "you are transparent" I am unsure if they mean "we know you are telling the truth" or "they'll see your plan a mile away") then when he's getting punked on by a 4 year old.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That's because Shaddam IV is a chump. He destroys what could have been his greatest ally out of petty paranoia, giving special favors to a monster and basically letting that monster hold blackmail over his head forever despite whatever threats he could make with the Sardaukar. He lost even before Paul came to him with his ultimatum, the only question was who he was going to finally lose to. The Emperor was an idiot coward who would not have passed the gom jabbar.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Yeah, honestly there really aren't plans within plans in Dune. It's pretty straightforward.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He was chumped before the book even began, when the BG arranged it so that he would have only daughters.

Even at the end, Paul scrapes a raw nerve when he tells him that he was only "permitted" to take the throne because he promised to keep the spice flowing, and he's managed to gently caress that into a cocked hat.

quote:

Paul turned back to look at the Emperor, said: “When they permitted you to mount your father’s throne, it was only on the assurance that you’d keep the spice flowing. You’ve failed them, Majesty. Do you know the consequences?”

“Nobody permitted me to—”

“Stop playing the fool,” Paul barked.
Even his own hand-picked assassin and hatchet-man turns his back on him at the end.

Shaddam IV is the chump of chumps.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Maybe inheriting a planet of soldiers isn't a skillset.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
strange women living in space performing pussy magic is no basis for a system of government!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bubblyblubber posted:

strange women living in space performing pussy magic is no basis for a system of government!

mind you, it’s a better one than some others.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Frank Herbert would apparently disagree.

Also put that way, Paul marrying Irulan, even entirely on paper as far as he's concerned, was if anything giving him Shaddam more credit than he deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Matriarchal hyper-eugenicist gynocracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried.
-Space Winston Churchill