Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid they aren't going to address any of the supernatural poo poo and just make the viewer accept that ghosts are real and they sometimes lead people to murder scenes.

That sort of thing can work in a show like Fargo where there's a certain darkly comedic whacky Coen Bros vibe going, but it's done 100% serious here and is just a huge departure from the other seasons in tone. I get that anthologies can have variance between the seasons but it just seems a little too out there, and I would be more apt to overlook it if it weren't kind of lame on top of everything. "Rust's dad leads side character to the bodies" is just so not compelling IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm afraid they aren't going to address any of the supernatural poo poo and just make the viewer accept that ghosts are real and they sometimes lead people to murder scenes.

That's so the first three seasons. In season four, we ponder space heaters and the space they may or may not heat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Despera posted:

jesus christ his name was velcoro

Yeah...season 2 wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
His name is Velcro to hook you, but he's noting but a pile

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah...season 2 wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

If Shakespeare had more characters telling someone they’ll buttfuck their father with their mom’s headless corpse, I’d probably read more Shakespeare.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

ruddiger posted:

If Shakespeare had more characters telling someone they’ll buttfuck their father with their mom’s headless corpse, I’d probably read more Shakespeare.

this

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have an issue that it just never seems that cold outside in the show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m baffled at how many people in this thread like this season. It feels like criminal minds or something other than True Detective. The cinematography is terrible. The lighting is both flat and way too bright. The music choices are awful. The script feels general and stupid. The mystery could potentially be interesting if they stuck to it for more than a couple episodes. There’s points where the script honestly just feels ai generated.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's funny bad, not bad bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The_Rob posted:

I’m baffled at how many people in this thread like this season. It feels like criminal minds or something other than True Detective. The cinematography is terrible. The lighting is both flat and way too bright. The music choices are awful. The script feels general and stupid. The mystery could potentially be interesting if they stuck to it for more than a couple episodes. There’s points where the script honestly just feels ai generated.

You are still going to watch, goon in a well.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

And if I didn’t people would get mad because I didn’t watch the whole thing so I can’t speak on it.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
A lot depends on if they pull off the final episode. So far it is neither the best nor worst of TD, and I like it more than, say, Mare of Easttown. If the ending is good I might like this more than season 1 of "The Killing" (the one with Joel Kinnaman) which i really enjoyed back in the day and recently re-watched. I already like it much better than Broadchurch. I think it probably makes more sense to compare this show to other non-TD detective shows considering it had the TD branding slapped on it late. People are doing themselves a disservice putting it up against season 1 of TD since that was pretty much the Best Show, reaching heights that so many other detective series never come close to.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The_Rob posted:

There's nothing else on

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I like shows where there is one big case in a season and the detectives are driven to the brink trying to solve it. If anyone has any to recommend, please do. I just started watching a Quebecois one on Netflix called "Legacy, a Kate Mcdougall Investigation" which is an awful title but fits my criteria. Within the first 10 minutes of the first episode the female detective finds the body, is revealed to have been lovers with a former superior or partner, and starts drinking hard liquor at like 8 in the morning. extremely my poo poo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The_Rob posted:

And if I didn’t people would get mad because I didn’t watch the whole thing so I can’t speak on it.

No, the thread would actually be better if you stopped.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Nuebot posted:

No, the thread would actually be better if you stopped.

Nah that’s not true.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The_Rob posted:

I've been trying to find a moment to say this and I'm going to choose now: I don't know what's worse, using "ai generated" as the new "it's bad" or the inability to recognize that ai generation evolves into a different vibe almost on a monthly basis. I'm waiting with baited breath for the moment someone watches a bad show from 2008 and says "this feels AI generated."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I dont get the AI generated either. You can hate True Detectives quirks but its quirks are its own. What AI is going "ghost leads to the bodies and never comes up again?"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

nah

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Despera posted:

I dont get the AI generated either. You can hate True Detectives quirks but its quirks are its own. What AI is going "ghost leads to the bodies and never comes up again?"

I mean, probably a lot of them, they're not known for their consistency.

This show aint AI tho.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

The_Rob posted:

I don’t think anyone would care either way honestly but also this thread is more interesting when there’s varying opinions and not just like the 4 people who like the show patting each other on the back about how good the show is lol

Do you have an example in mind of the show’s bad cinematography? Nothing has stood out to me as awful while watching. The lighting could be better I’m sure, that kinda stuff never catches my eye unless it’s egregiously bad. I’m just glad this is a modern show where I can actually see the poo poo on screen for once and it’s not just 90% pitch black darkness.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The cinematography is mostly fine. There's some real good city shots and the title sequence will be as memorable as the first season's. Nothing has occurred that made me think "ugh, this is shot poorly," which is something that I typically do keep an eye on when I'm watching stuff but on the other hand, nothing really stood out as something I would write more than a sentence about.

It's just slightly above par in overall television but below par for True Detective, thanks to that first season's tracking shot.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The reason I say the show has an aI quality to it is because the dialogue has that uncanny feeling to it where it’s competent enough, but you realize characters are acting in ways that no one would act. The scene where the young detective guy and adopted daughter are talking in the ice rink and reminiscing comes to mind because it would be fine if there wasn’t a pile of mangled frozen bodies right in their eye line. Or how it seems like the characters are just doing the same actions over and over again with no real rhyme or reason like Jody foster just loving everyone in town. It feels like something chat gpt would come up with when you type in give me a hard boiled detective character, and I’m not saying is necessarily is ai, it could all just be lazy writing. That doesn’t make it good though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They made a big deal of actually filming in Iceland during the winter and many (most? all?) of the outside scenes are actually filmed in freezing weather.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The uncanny feeling in the dialogue and general detached air of the characters is so distractingly present that it feels like it has to be deliberate, like they’re reaching for a Twin Peaks kind of vibe, but none of it works and it just makes the show unfun to watch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

They made a big deal of actually filming in Iceland during the winter and many (most? all?) of the outside scenes are actually filmed in freezing weather.

Iceland winters aren't like brooks range winters.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Everyone talking about Jodie Foster and it's well deserved but

I'm out here real impressed that Finn Bennet is such a fine actor at only 300 years old

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Everyone talking about Jodie Foster and it's well deserved but

I'm out here real impressed that Finn Bennet is such a fine actor at only 300 years old

He pulls off seeming very young and naive very well for being 35.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Turpitude posted:

I like shows where there is one big case in a season and the detectives are driven to the brink trying to solve it. If anyone has any to recommend, please do. I just started watching a Quebecois one on Netflix called "Legacy, a Kate Mcdougall Investigation" which is an awful title but fits my criteria. Within the first 10 minutes of the first episode the female detective finds the body, is revealed to have been lovers with a former superior or partner, and starts drinking hard liquor at like 8 in the morning. extremely my poo poo

If you want a comedic take on two mismatched female detectives trying to solve a murder in a remote small town, Deadloch is on Amazon and it’s great. It’s Australian.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Deadite posted:

If you want a comedic take on two mismatched female detectives trying to solve a murder in a remote small town, Deadloch is on Amazon and it’s great. It’s Australian.

I watched Deadloch, it owns and is super funny. Definitely fits my criteria. I was actually quite pleased by who the murderer turned out to be, they did a great job with that show!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Turpitude posted:

The Leads Are Cops:
Fortitude
Deadloch (dark comedy)
Top Of The Lake
Prime Suspect
Happy Valley (third season is poo poo)
Cracker (not one case per season, but just three, and it's otherwise a very good example of what you're talking about)
The Killing (if watching the US version, you can actually start with the third season since it's a soft reboot and a far better show; otherwise watch the Danish version)
Spiral

The Leads Aren't Cops:
Shining Girls
Black Bird
In The Dark (CW but quite good for what that means)
Sharp Objects
Search Party (dark comedy)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Turpitude posted:

Mare of Easttown is good, but I'd go season one of Broadchurch over many I've seen.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's more if you want to lean into the absurdities and quirks of this season but Luther is super fun. But there is only a story tying the seasons together while being episodic re: a murder of the week.

If you're willing to give full-on episodic (but at a near movie length each episode) a go you can try Wallander (the Kenneth Branagh version).

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 17, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

(in a very american accent) Monsieur Spade

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Jehde posted:

(in a very american accent) Monsieur Spade

Yes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Leads Aren't Cops:
State of Play

It's a six part British miniseries that they butchered into a forgettable Russell Crowe movie remake. The original is fantastic and has a ton of recognizable actors.

The whole thing is on Dailymotion for some dumb reason.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The first season of the original Danish Swedish The Bridge is on Amazon Prime until the end of the month too

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Bridge is a fun watch because of all the remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Leads Aren't Cops:
State of Play

It's a six part British miniseries that they butchered into a forgettable Russell Crowe movie remake. The original is fantastic and has a ton of recognizable actors.

The whole thing is on Dailymotion for some dumb reason.

State of Play is great and yeah, it has an absolutely stacked cast that is basically a who's-who of 2000s British actors. Also it's kind of crazy that director went on to basically do nothing but Harry Potter stuff for 20 years.