Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Trump wouldn't file bankruptcy because that's the last step to loserdom. He can wave off bankruptcy for his companies, he wasn't in control by the time they filed, it was a strategic decision brought on by the thug banks, my partners hosed me over, etc., etc., but personal bankruptcy? That's for losers. Trump is not a loser. Trump never loses. He could literally be on his last penny and he wouldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

GoFundMe has an interesting rule about what you cannot use it for

https://www.gofundme.com/c/terms

9. the legal defense of alleged financial and violent crimes;

This should be fun!

It says "alleged" not "proven." Badda bing badda boom

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just get a reverse mortgage on Mar-A-Lago

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alina Habba and the 40 Trump's.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Trump wouldn't file bankruptcy because that's the last step to loserdom. He can wave off bankruptcy for his companies, he wasn't in control by the time they filed, it was a strategic decision brought on by the thug banks, my partners hosed me over, etc., etc., but personal bankruptcy? That's for losers. Trump is not a loser. Trump never loses. He could literally be on his last penny and he wouldn't do it.

Exactly, he'd sell his children into literal slavery before he ever filed for personal bankruptcy.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GoFundMe has an interesting rule about what you cannot use it for

https://www.gofundme.com/c/terms

9. the legal defense of alleged financial and violent crimes;

This should be fun!

Hmmm, wonder if Trump could take the money as long as he didn't try to use it to appeal. Wouldn't technically be for the defense of a financial crime it would be to pay the fine, right?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Paying the fine isn’t “legal defense” though, is it?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kw0134 posted:

What are you talking about? Trump has filed for chapter 11 like 4-6 times already.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean yeah it's going to be a mixed bag of lols and disappointments as this whole judgment process plays out, but how I see it in the long run is like

It won't kill him but it sure does hurt. And everybody sees it hurt.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Stoatbringer posted:

Paying the fine isn’t “legal defense” though, is it?

Regrettable posted:

Hmmm, wonder if Trump could take the money as long as he didn't try to use it to appeal. Wouldn't technically be for the defense of a financial crime it would be to pay the fine, right?

Good questions!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Frank Frank posted:

What are you talking about? Trump has filed for chapter 11 like 4-6 times already.
Not personally. He's made strategic filings for his companies.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Trump suing GoFundMe to get the pocket change chuds have deposited is a :lol::lmao:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Chapter 11 is for businesses, we're talking personal bankruptcy here. He doesn't care about business bankruptcy because he can handwave that away as being someone else's fault. Personal bankruptcy is different because he's admitting that he's broke.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Data Graham posted:

I mean yeah it's going to be a mixed bag of lols and disappointments as this whole judgment process plays out, but how I see it in the long run is like

It won't kill him but it sure does hurt. And everybody sees it hurt.
the more you can laugh at trump for objective truths the less chuds will support him.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
The appeal process is going to be hilarious. Last year Trump claimed that he had $400 million in cash available to him. If that were true, that means he should be able to put the necessary funds into escrow for his appeal with no issue. But we all know that's not true.

He's literally going to get caught inflating his worth to appeal the judgement against him for the trial where he was found guilty of inflating his worth. :haw:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Good questions!
The sole arbiter of what qualifies is up to GoFundMe. So now it's on them to clarify their TOS.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

kw0134 posted:

The sole arbiter of what qualifies is up to GoFundMe. So now it's on them to clarify their TOS.

Everything about Trumb is unprecedented because he was UnPresidented!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Good reminder of what happened with the last big Trump GoFundMe:
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/26/1172343738/we-build-the-wall-founder-sentenced-prison

quote:

Kolfage, 41, told Judge Analisa Torres that he was "remorseful, disgusted, humiliated." He said he had not anticipated the scale of donations that would flood in for the cause and soon found himself drifting away from his initial goal, which he said was "putting a spotlight on the country's broken immigration system."

"I made a promise not to personally benefit and I broke that promise," he said.

quote:

Absent from the case was Bannon, Trump's former top political adviser. He was initially arrested aboard a luxury yacht and faced federal fraud charges along with the other men, but Trump pardoned him during his final hours in office.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

loving :lol: when you realize if Trump never became president he would not be facing any of this poo poo

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Gary is a treasure

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Renreeja posted:

something I find entertaining about all this is the right following trump into a complete denial of even understanding how the law works. I guess its just following dear leader in whatever charade hes on, but it smacks of the same sortof expert distrust and derision they feel towards scientists.

Like even though the law can be interpreted and bent many ways these cases are loving serious for a reason.

It goes hand in hand with the zany sovereign citizens and alex jones poo poo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The big thing I've come to believe about Trump is that he grew up in a white collar mob boss household, and has no idea what laws and crime actually are. Fred taught him to do as the lawyer says, which mostly means shutting up when told to shut up, and occasionally paying an insultingly small settlement while admitting no guilt if you've done something egregious enough that they can't magic it away entirely.

He does not understand that this isn't actually how the law works, that he inherited an entire infrastructure designed to shield him from the consequences of his own actions, and he thought he had found a big brain genius loophole when he stopped paying the expensive lawyers who told him not to do the things he wanted to do, and replaced them with idiot sycophants.

He still follows the advice of his lawyers, who, as he understands it, are the actual arbiters of law. That's why he keeps making constant affirmations of "presidential records act," "ironclad disclaimer clause," "perfect phone call," et cetera et cetera, because those are things lawyers told him. Anyone who accuses him of wrongdoing must be either unaware or maliciously disregarding the law in service of an ulterior motive.

The thought that his lawyers could be fallible or incompetent would upend his entire worldview. If he ever turns on them, it will be because he thinks they're deliberaly sabotaging him, not because he's burned all his competent mob lawyers and can only afford the clown car selection.

This all goes to what I keep thinking about whenever we hear stories about the Trump White House ripping the copper wiring out of the walls or selling off national monuments or just plain pretending the rules don't exist or don't apply to them, or that laws and regulations are for suckers.

Their ideal world (as has been said many times, but to restate a bit) is one where the rules are there to keep the riffraff from getting above their station. Themselves, the elect highborn, they don't have to worry about rules. Because after all they're good people. They wouldn't do anything BAD, perish the thought! By definition they can't.

They exist in such an insulated world of zero-consequences, where they've all forgotten what it was ever like to have to worry about speeding tickets or paying a bar tab or what their lease agreement says, that if you gave them a new planet to design they would create one that simply has no rules at all. As far as they're concerned the rules are only there for bad people, and they just wouldn't have any of those.

You read all these TPW and Gofundme comment threads and it's obvious people have convinced themselves that the entire legal and government structure exists only to perpetuate itself, an endless ouroboros of red tape and meaningless recursive rules designed by a high priesthood to confuse and immobilize normal people. They want to tear it all down. They wanted Trump to tear it all down. What they were saying in 2016 was "sometimes you need to just roll a grenade into Washington DC and blow it all up". They literally think the rulebook should be reduced from football-sized to baseball-sized, where there's like one page of (ten) small bullet points and all the rest can be burned.

It's inconceivable that all those rules and laws came about for good reasons, to plug loopholes and avenues of abuse specifically by people like Trump. Those regulations simply shouldn't be there! And until they're gone it's their sacred duty to simply ignore and flout those regulations.

See also Elon taking over Twitter and throwing out all the Trust & Safety stuff, firing 80% of the employees and trashing all the anti-abuse language and reinstating all the banned posting supervillains. It's all of a piece where they think those rules are unfair and lovely restrictions on FREE SPEECH and there should be only one rule which is there are no rules. That tweet about him slowly coming to understand painfully why those rules were put in place to begin with.

Or people who are like "I don't need insurance, I'll just not crash my car. I don't need health care, I'll just not get sick. :chaostrump:" As though people buy insurance for fun. As though it's something you can control. Yeah it sucks to have to plan for contingencies. But if you don't, poo poo has a tendency to happen. And you can point wildly all around you and say it's THEIR fault!!! all you want but nobody's coming to help you if you wouldn't lift a finger to help them.

We've created this rickety edifice called Civilization which is held up by all this scaffolding and gusseting and buttressing in the form of ugly, convoluted legal language. Yeah it would probably be "prettier" if we tore it all out. But then it would fall down.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 17, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

Trump suing GoFundMe to get the pocket change chuds have deposited is a :lol::lmao:

I could see Habba losing that case too

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Eh Trump was probably hosed if HRC had won the presidency. As has been posted itt a few times, :smugdon: was surviving by laundering Russian oligarch money. Its extraordinarily likely that HRC would've chased after/closed that funnel (:lol: with Romney's help)

EDIT

Data Graham posted:

They exist in such an insulated world of zero-consequences, where they've all forgotten what it was ever like to have to worry about speeding tickets or paying a bar tab or what their lease agreement says, that if you gave them a new planet to design they would create one that simply has no rules at all. As far as they're concerned the rules are only there for bad people, and they just wouldn't have any of those.

Nobody in Trump's 2016 orbit has ever had to worry about a bar tab or a speeding ticket, except maybe Bannon.

Every single one of those awful fucks has been unimaginably wealthy since before the Reagan administration.

IMO the :airquote: appeal :airquote: of Trump to chuds - they want him to lower the bar of unassailable privilege to being a US-born white christian male.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 17, 2024

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

loving :lol: when you realize if Trump never became president he would not be facing any of this poo poo

Didn’t Melania break down crying on the night Trump won the election?

She knew he was such a loving dumb rear end in a top hat that he was going to unravel everything in their lives lmao

Vampire Panties posted:

Eh Trump was probably hosed if HRC had won the presidency. As has been posted itt a few times, :smugdon: was surviving by laundering Russian oligarch money. Its extraordinarily likely that HRC would've chased after/closed that funnel (:lol: with Romney's help)

Nah, he opened up the can of worms for sure. He wouldn’t have nearly as many issues if he hadn’t shone the spotlight on himself the way he did.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 17, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly could see Kushner bailing Trump out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tumble posted:

Didn’t Melania break down crying on the night Trump won the election?

She knew he was such a loving dumb rear end in a top hat that he was going to unravel everything in their lives lmao

Hell, Trump himself looked like he'd just gotten punched in the gut the night he won. He clearly wasn't expecting to win and was likely hoping to parlay his presidential run into a new money-making venture (likely the rumored "Trump TV" which he'd supposedly talked to Sean Hannity about leaving FNC to do). It was probably one of the few clear signs of self-awareness that Trump's ever publicly shown.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

I honestly could see Kushner bailing Trump out.

Or the Saudis.

Or Putin.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Putin giving the state of NY 355 million USD that he could instead use to buy tanks is a complete non starter of an idea. (Never mind that there isn't a financial institution transacting in NY that would risk touching that money in the first place.) The Saudis might give that money if there was an actual quid pro quo they could extract from Trump but it's extremely unclear what possible leverage he has over them that could be worth that.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hell, Trump himself looked like he'd just gotten punched in the gut the night he won. He clearly wasn't expecting to win and was likely hoping to parlay his presidential run into a new money-making venture (likely the rumored "Trump TV" which he'd supposedly talked to Sean Hannity about leaving FNC to do). It was probably one of the few clear signs of self-awareness that Trump's ever publicly shown.

quote:

Mike Pence went to kiss his wife, Karen, and she turned away from him. “You got what you wanted, Mike,” she said. “Now leave me alone.” She wouldn’t so much as say hello to Trump. Trump himself just stared at the TV without saying anything, like a man with a pair of twos whose bluff has been called. His campaign hadn’t even bothered to prepare an acceptance speech.
He hit the ground running though.

quote:

Before any of the calls could be made, however, the president of Egypt called in to the switchboard at Trump Tower and somehow got the operator to put him straight through to Trump. “Trump was like ... I love the Bangles! You know that song Walk Like an Egyptian?” recalled one of his advisers on the scene.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/sep/27/this-guy-doesnt-know-anything-the-inside-story-of-trumps-shambolic-transition-team

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He didn’t have any plans in place for winning lol

It’s hilarious and crazy how awful his presidency was.

Trump really is a disaster for the concept of democracy hahaha

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

"President bought and paid for by Saudis" is also a hard sell to anyone but the most extreme MAGA

e: I should say "overtly" because someone is going to akshully me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy loving god :lmao:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Or the Saudis.

Or Putin.

I doubt it. It’s abundantly clear Putin doesn’t particularly like trump. He was willing to play him while he was president but that seems to be as far as their relationship goes

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

Putin giving the state of NY 355 million USD that he could instead use to buy tanks is a complete non starter of an idea. (Never mind that there isn't a financial institution transacting in NY that would risk touching that money in the first place.) The Saudis might give that money if there was an actual quid pro quo they could extract from Trump but it's extremely unclear what possible leverage he has over them that could be worth that.

Yeah its a nonsensical investment. Spending 500m or whatever on a dude who notoriously fucks over everyone on the premise that he'll win the presidency and somehow reciprocate is a non-starter. The Sauds would rather spend a 1b bribing an actual president, or a shitload of senators.

Also Putin has very little reason to bail out Trump - The US is still in NATO, and now its law that the US cannot leave NATO without it passing Congress. MTG and the HFC shitheels can gently caress with funding for Ukraine, a non-NATO country, but if Putin were to invade Poland or whatever, all the treaties of the last seventy years kick in w/o presidential intervention.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I wasn't suggesting it would be overt, they could all "stay" at his properties for example (just like they did when they were buying influence when he was POTUS)

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Bill Clinton's transition team was also famously chaotic.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

I wasn't suggesting it would be overt, they could all "stay" at his properties for example (just like they did when they were buying influence when he was POTUS)

There are a lot more people looking at his finances right now, some are court appointed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like this thread way way overestimates how connected trump is to Putin. Putin plays politics and Trump was president so of course he played trump. But there isn’t some deep friendship there

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nah, they're not going to do a thing to help Trump (including staying at his properties), because it's looking increasingly unlikely they'd get any return on their investment.

E: also, as MuscaDomestica said, there are various entities looking into Trump's finances. A sudden surge of wealthy people from Saudi Arabia staying at Trump properties (or a few people spending very bigly at his properties) is going to raise more than a few financial red flags.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

RVWinkle posted:

Bill Clinton's transition team was also famously chaotic.

Yea but he had political experience so he still had like, clear goals he wanted to accomplish.

Trump didn’t know a single loving thing about organizing a political team.

And after 4 years as president I think he still doesn’t.