Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

broken pixel posted:

It's been a week since I had a final round interview with a company. I was referred there, and while I managed to make it through the whole process, I'm getting huge imposter syndrome feelings while I wait. I know my experience is a little odd, but I have the skills. I think I'll always suffer some amount of self-doubt, since I started in poverty with no network? Even with the support and skill set I have now, it feels fake.

Optimistically, they're looking to hire several people at once to cover their new projects. It's also not like I've haven't had to wait before. The difference now is that unemployment money runs out.

I didn't get the job, and I'm not clear on why other than vaguely not being what they need right now. My last interview was okay, but it felt like having 5 separate people asking questions about my work and process split my understanding of what, exactly, they needed. My experience at my last role was broad, and I ended up going deep on every level of the UX process from research to design and iteration. Maybe having a catch-all role shot me in the foot? Maybe I should have focused on one part of it in the interview?

I'm pretty disappointed, but I won't stop trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Lockback posted:

Am I reading it right that this is an internal role?

Usual rules don't apply as much. Your resume is just going to be a jumping off point, so yeah tailor it up but don't stress too much and put way more focus on being able to highlight the key things and being able to speak to what you have vs trying to impress an HR algorithm or meeting some arbitrary standard of resume writing.

In general this looks pretty good. I guess I'd say you need to maybe highlight your cross collaboration a tiny bit more, and how do you feel about how you'd manage talking about "working on complex/multi-dimensional datasest"? I think your biggest knock would be you appear to be (and I could be wrong) a bit more in the "Data Janitor" direction so if I was interviewing you I'd press on your ability to create prototypes, wrestle with super complex dataset where the outcome is not really known, and driving these kinds of things to the finish line. Maybe this is something you can help bolster in the resume, maybe you leave some breadcrumbs there to be able to speak to it, but my first pass that's what I'd say you need to do.

If you use this externally I might acroynm "Am I the rear end in a top hat" as some HR person with blue hair might strike you for that, but for internal I imagine you'd be fine.

My guess here is if they are willing to bring you along and let you grow into the role a little bit you'll be well situated to get it, if they want an experienced person who can hit the ground running it might be a little more a stretch but that certainly doesn't count you out.

Yup, this is an internal role!

Thank you, this is very helpful. Great call-outs on what to emphasize/how it comes off. I think I probably over-emphasized the data janitoring, I've been hunting down bugs in our ETL lately so its top of mind, but % wise it's pretty low. Wanted to make it clear I could do it, but it sounds like I overcorrected! 99% of my data work actually comes up when I'm working to build a model from particularly messy data and realize there's a better way we could be ingesting or surfacing it (or that theres a table I need thst doesn't exist).

My role is basically a mix of running & analyzing AB tests (plus setting up KPIs & dashboards), ad-hoc data analysis & storytelling (90% data viz), and building models/simulations (usually designed to be interpretable by non-technical stakeholders, so it'll be a lot of translating design problems to data ones, data processing, then like a logistic regression with gradient descent). Sounds like I should definitely emphasize the last part (maybe last two parts?) more. Is there anything else in that that you feel doesn't come across?

Sounds like I should for sure add that stuff in to set up those convos. The plan is for a decent amount of my prep to be making sure I can talk about the decision making around this stuff.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Arquinsiel posted:

Did the plan get executed on? If so you have a really impressive project to brag about. Bonus points if it was executed smoothly based on your plan. Maybe reach out to former colleagues to find out?

Yeah, good call! I think they may have ended up using a parallel system that looked /very/ similar to what I laid out, but may have just been developed elsewhere in the org. I'll double check though!

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 10, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I glossed over the intern part but I agree, it's probably a good thing to have and you've been at current place for 3.5 years and clearly are trying to stick around so I would be surprised if anyone scoffed at a short internship.

And yeah, I think maybe tweak a bit. Honestly, what you have is really good but try to think of what you think they will want to talk about and give yourself jumping off points in the resume.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

broken pixel posted:

I didn't get the job, and I'm not clear on why other than vaguely not being what they need right now. My last interview was okay, but it felt like having 5 separate people asking questions about my work and process split my understanding of what, exactly, they needed. My experience at my last role was broad, and I ended up going deep on every level of the UX process from research to design and iteration. Maybe having a catch-all role shot me in the foot? Maybe I should have focused on one part of it in the interview?

I'm pretty disappointed, but I won't stop trying.

Remember that an interview isn't a referendum on you and maybe they had an internal candidate, a more senior candidate, or a cheaper candidate instead. You won't ever get good feedback.

Some of it might just be experience too, having a panel of people all poking you in different areas isn't unusual, and next time you'll be a lot more prepared for it!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Remember that an interview isn't a referendum on you and maybe they had an internal candidate, a more senior candidate, or a cheaper candidate instead. You won't ever get good feedback.

Some of it might just be experience too, having a panel of people all poking you in different areas isn't unusual, and next time you'll be a lot more prepared for it!

Thanks—I appreciate it. I've presented in front of groups plenty of times, but usually only 1 or 2 folks have the will/energy/knowledge to follow up.

I sent out a few applications today, including one to a local company I think I'd be a solid match for. I'm looking forward to, someday, having a portfolio that shows my live work rather than concepts. The vast majority of my files at the company that laid me off contained large amounts of confidential/NDA info, which is a huge issue for displaying competence at a glance.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I wanted to say thank you for the previous advice in the thread, regarding education on my resume. How do people feel about adding mTurk to a resume? I've seen mixed opinions, mostly on reddit. One on hand it's data entry, transcription, and the like. It does require you to be extremely accurate if you want to get paid. On the other hand, you're getting paid 10 cents on some of these jobs. It can be a real cesspool.
I'm concerned that writing something like "independent micro-contractor" (advice from reddit) will have people on guard, calling bullshit, or view it as padding.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

I wanted to say thank you for the previous advice in the thread, regarding education on my resume. How do people feel about adding mTurk to a resume? I've seen mixed opinions, mostly on reddit. One on hand it's data entry, transcription, and the like. It does require you to be extremely accurate if you want to get paid. On the other hand, you're getting paid 10 cents on some of these jobs. It can be a real cesspool.
I'm concerned that writing something like "independent micro-contractor" (advice from reddit) will have people on guard, calling bullshit, or view it as padding.

Why do you want to include it? What is the benefit to your story as you see it?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Lockback posted:

These are such good questions!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

broken pixel posted:

Thanks—I appreciate it. I've presented in front of groups plenty of times, but usually only 1 or 2 folks have the will/energy/knowledge to follow up.

I sent out a few applications today, including one to a local company I think I'd be a solid match for. I'm looking forward to, someday, having a portfolio that shows my live work rather than concepts. The vast majority of my files at the company that laid me off contained large amounts of confidential/NDA info, which is a huge issue for displaying competence at a glance.

UX is a poo poo show to get a job in too. I’m senior level and having trouble getting callbacks for stuff I’m super qualified for. I feel lucky in that I’ve had several first round to later interviews in one month.

I think a lot of layoffs in tech were in design and UXR so keep on it. It’s just not a good time to be in design right now, but my professor told me in school I will get laid off at least once. Nature of being a designer.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Lockback posted:

honestly just getting kind of desperate at this point. i would possibly include it for something related to data entry or clerical work

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

"independent micro-contractor" (advice from reddit) will have people on guard, calling bullshit, or view it as padding.

Bad advice from Reddit for exactly the reason you suspect. I think putting gig work is fine, it’s a job and it has some overlapping skills to other jobs.

If you’re going for something that it’s not at all relevant to and it’s a while ago, then meh.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's not how taxation on international earnings or "being Irish" works, but they probably don't know that either. Hence why it's fun.

I may have misunderstood your post, but I got from it that you'd potentially move to either Spain or Germany permanently in April? In which case you'd need to contribute to the Spanish/German IRS+? If it's for a month, then probably a mostly whatever.

I'm afraid the "being Irish" isn't curable, but on the plus side that's the work visa requirement becoming a non-issue, would probably be a good idea to mention it (assuming that you don't already do it in which case it's moot as well).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mmkay posted:

I may have misunderstood your post, but I got from it that you'd potentially move to either Spain or Germany permanently in April? In which case you'd need to contribute to the Spanish/German IRS+? If it's for a month, then probably a mostly whatever.

I'm afraid the "being Irish" isn't curable, but on the plus side that's the work visa requirement becoming a non-issue, would probably be a good idea to mention it (assuming that you don't already do it in which case it's moot as well).
Yeah, but once you're outside the country that's paying you all the tax stuff is entirely on your head. The relevant employer just stops witholding entirely and it's up to you to not commit fraud. It's pretty trivial to handle since I did it when moving to the UK in the first place.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but once you're outside the country that's paying you all the tax stuff is entirely on your head. The relevant employer just stops witholding entirely and it's up to you to not commit fraud. It's pretty trivial to handle since I did it when moving to the UK in the first place.

Hm, I thought it's not usually this simple? As in, if you're permanently in a different country than your employer, then (depending on the country etc) your employer may have to also do some employer-side taxes in the country you're in, so worst case they might have to open an entire official office in your country so that they can do that?

I'm no expert but I've heard from several friends that they are in practice unable to work from abroad (from the UK) because of these restrictions. And one friend says he /can/ work from the EU, since his firm specifically has offices in various EU countries already, and he could change his contract to be under one of them (if he's in the same country ofc)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Was when I moved here :shrug: Technically I fell into the disconnect between the Irish and UK tax systems anyway and could just have lied and nobody would ever have known I was getting paid, but I'm stupidly honest like that. It's also worth pointing out that the kind of work I do is just selling services and the companies I work for tend to have cross-border clients anyway. In the end it works out so that whatever "we have an employee" taxes that the incorporating country wants my employer to pay are not my problem, and the "you live here" taxes that the company I sit in wants me to pay are on my head. Of course it is also possible that Brexit has hosed things harder since 2021, but most of the companies I've been looking at already have EU offices or are the same kind of tiny consultancies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

To add another point of data (that doesn't include a country you're moving to, so not 100% valuable), but the employer in Poland does have additional costs/contributions that are not included in your pre-tax amount (and pre-medical insurance/retirement contributions). Which some dumb companies/sites sometimes show in offers as a pre-pre-tax amount to give an impression of a bigger number pay/push for smaller taxes/will someone please think of the poor small time entrepreneur/etc.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

UX is a poo poo show to get a job in too. I’m senior level and having trouble getting callbacks for stuff I’m super qualified for. I feel lucky in that I’ve had several first round to later interviews in one month.

I think a lot of layoffs in tech were in design and UXR so keep on it. It’s just not a good time to be in design right now, but my professor told me in school I will get laid off at least once. Nature of being a designer.

It's tough, but definitely something I expected. I mean, I'm one of thousands who pivoted from Graphic Design, and if any of us don't know how crazy [insert concept] Designer jobs are yet, now's a good time to learn.

I hope your search goes well!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mmkay posted:

To add another point of data (that doesn't include a country you're moving to, so not 100% valuable), but the employer in Poland does have additional costs/contributions that are not included in your pre-tax amount (and pre-medical insurance/retirement contributions). Which some dumb companies/sites sometimes show in offers as a pre-pre-tax amount to give an impression of a bigger number pay/push for smaller taxes/will someone please think of the poor small time entrepreneur/etc.
I have a bunch of former colleagues from non-EU countries who started working (or are still working) while in their home countries. I'll ping one of them and ask what kind of bullshit they're expected to handle tax-wise. It is possible my Ireland-UK move was smoothed out by the border that the UK keeps wanting to pretend doesn't exist, but they've got one of those with Spain too so... :shrug:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

Was when I moved here :shrug: Technically I fell into the disconnect between the Irish and UK tax systems anyway and could just have lied and nobody would ever have known I was getting paid, but I'm stupidly honest like that. It's also worth pointing out that the kind of work I do is just selling services and the companies I work for tend to have cross-border clients anyway. In the end it works out so that whatever "we have an employee" taxes that the incorporating country wants my employer to pay are not my problem, and the "you live here" taxes that the company I sit in wants me to pay are on my head. Of course it is also possible that Brexit has hosed things harder since 2021, but most of the companies I've been looking at already have EU offices or are the same kind of tiny consultancies.

Hm, that's interesting. I've no knowledge of this but I suspect, since you're in sales, that means your company already knows how to deal with the cross-border costs and associated bureaucracy as part of the sales money traffic or something?

Maybe the differentiating factor is that I'm a software developer so I'd contribute to the company from abroad in a different way (not bringing in any sales or other money directly), and also my company wouldn't have anything set up in this hypothetical EU country if it doesn't already operate there (no direct sales or such).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry, I was unclear. I just do the service that someone else has sold, and doing that service doesn't really require you to be in any one location. Specifically penetration testing, so the field is pretty accustomed to weird poo poo like this anyway and it's what VPNs are for.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I have a second and third interview scheduled for tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell. It's for a role supporting a monitoring system in hospitals, and it's the same sort of stuff I've done before, but...

In 2015 I moved to Colorado to be closer to my mom who had just moved here for a job. I started my job hunting, expecting to get another help desk or desk side role, when I had a Widowmaker heart attack and died. I was resuscitated but when I woke up I had no memory of the past five or so years, I'm told. This continued for a few days while I was in recovery, when suddenly one morning I woke up and could remember the last five years, except for the few days from just before I had the heart attack to when I recovered my memories of the previous five years. Like a backup version of me from years prior was put in charge of my body for a few days and then deleted when the most recent backup was found. It was all very surreal and I still haven't fully dealt with and processed all of it. Now I have a pacemaker due to an arrhythmia or something that they picked up on the monitors while I was in recovery, and a stint (stent?) placement from the actual heart attack. I had apparently also spent about a total of an hour and a half dead in the ambulance/ER, so I certainly incurred some mild brain damage as well. But because of all this, I decided to change careers to something that I thought would be more relaxing, and got my marijuana work badge and went into the semi legal pot business for a few years, basically up until last summer. Now that industry is imploding and I took a contracting job doing onsite computer repairs for a couple major laptop manufacturers, which is real unsteady work. I love it, I just don't get enough tickets and they're always far away, so I've been applying for better, more stable jobs.

So I guess my question, and the source of my anxiety at the moment beyond the impostor syndrome I feel, is wondering how to cover that period of my life when asked about it either directly or indirectly in interviews? Do I try to conceal that I worked in the MMJ business? Or just go out and proud about it and say something like "yeah, I needed to take it easy for my heart so I got into the weed business for a bit"? I didn't do much IT stuff in my weed jobs; I was hired to be a production and inventory manager at one place and built a few spreadsheet dashboards and implemented an LMS site to attempt to standardize training, but my next role was just doing delivery and logistics. I wanted to provide IT services for dispensaries, but those jobs got locked down by MSPs early on. So yeah, wound up having a little bit of skill regression and I've forgotten a lot of what I knew about corporate IT stuff, which has all dramatically changed since then anyway, as it is predisposed to do.
So do I address that, and say "yeah I've forgotten some of the minutiae of obsolete systems, but I still know how to Google and learn"? I'm not going to have the answer to questions like "what check boxes should I select to create a user with X privileges in an AD environment?" Hell, I haven't even touched Win11 except to get users' machines up to their Win11 login screen, at which point my job is done and I leave. I've already mentioned in the first round "pre interview chat" with the hiring manager that I had a couple marijuana misdemeanors that might show up in a background check from over a decade ago, and he seemed fine with that. He also mentioned that they don't expect me to know their systems specifically and that there would be a 1-3 month training period. So I dunno really how much of the truth to trust them with. It's a panel interview (two rounds) consisting of potential team members and related second level support members, so there's no accounting for everyone's personality in this.

I know I'm probably putting too much thought into this and just trust the process but that's what my brain do.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Summarize this succinctly with only relevant details and I bet you’ll find your answer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is a wild rollercoaster of a post in the Resume thread.

You don't need to hide you were in the MMJ industry, I would probably answer it as "I was working with a private agriculture firm" just to put up a polite facade. The skills around management and logistics are reasonably transferrable. You were project managing, keeping plates spinning, managing customer expectations, etc.

Don't try to apologize away any of your skill atrophy. They will have expectations and you will either have the skills or not, but you don't need to negotiate against yourself that you meet them. Let them decide. I run a pretty big engineering operations group that does this, and honestly:

A) Not much has changed in the last 9 years, truly. I mean stuff has but it's all the same stuff too.
B) I would expect people would maybe know some of our tech stack and need to be trained on a lot of it. That's fine, you don't need to have a panic attack about that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds to me like you "took a step back into a lower pressure role while getting back on your feet after a major health scare". No need to explain why you think the drug trade was lower pressure than whatever you were doing previously. Describe what you actually did for whatever legit companies you worked for. Let potential employers work out who they are.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: Submitted, fingers crossed. Ty for the help!

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got 3 rejections in a 2 hours span today

loving rules

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Well, I guess I worried for no reason as always, because the interview went great. They kept commenting how they liked my responses and appreciated my candor. They didn't even ask about the years of non-IT work.
I'm sure taking a Xanax beforehand helped immensely, as well. In the two hours beforehand I prepped by pulling up the job listing and responding to each item in the list of qualifications for the job as if it was a question in the interview, writing out each response by hand to try to trigger some broca divide poo poo.

I just sent the hiring manager an AI-assisted thank you letter. Fancy Markov chains have helped me get this far...

Thanks for the responses folks, they all helped me calm down as well. Y'all are rad.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 13, 2024

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How do I reach out to a hiring manager about a position I'm applying for again?

I'm going to apply for a job that I previously applied for, interviewed for, then declined the offer for another position. I see the position posted and I am going to apply for it again. Everything I come up with makes me feel like I'm groveling or making excuses.

"Hello Elon,
I'm reaching out to let you know I've applied for the open Panel Gapper position at Tesla. I applied for a Panel Gapper position before but had to decline for another opportunity. After some personal and professional growth I know that gapping panels is the best fit for me, and the experience I've gained since then will make me a better panel gapper."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Quick question, hopefully. A couple weeks ago, I had two phone interviews with a place, followed by a facility walk. At the time, my prospective direct-manager told me he was expecting a death in the family, and that once he got through that and the remaining interviews, he'd give me a call. Today I received an email from the HR manager at that company, letting me know that there's a couple more interviews to go, and then she'll be back in touch, and to not hesitate to ask any questions I might have. My question is, should I respond to this email? If so, what should I say or ask? I have a few questions about the job that didn't come up during the interviews that I could ask, or I could just give an acknowledgement and say something about being excited to work there, or something. What do you guys think?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

neogeo0823 posted:

Quick question, hopefully. A couple weeks ago, I had two phone interviews with a place, followed by a facility walk. At the time, my prospective direct-manager told me he was expecting a death in the family, and that once he got through that and the remaining interviews, he'd give me a call. Today I received an email from the HR manager at that company, letting me know that there's a couple more interviews to go, and then she'll be back in touch, and to not hesitate to ask any questions I might have. My question is, should I respond to this email? If so, what should I say or ask? I have a few questions about the job that didn't come up during the interviews that I could ask, or I could just give an acknowledgement and say something about being excited to work there, or something. What do you guys think?

Just say thanks for the update, excited to hear from you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just had another round of the "can you commit to X days a week in office?" "no" "how about X-1?" game with a recruiter. It always ends with them being surprised that I am sticking to my initial position of fully remote due to the nature of my wife's career and it being likely to force a relocation soon.

It really doesn't help that this one company has outsourced to some lovely Indian recruitment firm and I've had literally twelve people contact me about the same job in the last day.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Just wanted to thank y'all for the informational interview advice a couple weeks ago! It went great I think, Senior Recruiter at Lt Dan's Dream Company called my work experience impressive, gave me a ton of actionable advice and asked me to re-email my resume when I'd edited it with his changes/suggestions. They said they didn't have open QA Analyst positions right this second (their team is WAY smaller than industry standard) but would let me know when they did, said it was a viable pathway back into systems design for me (whether here or at another AA), AND said if I applied anywhere else in game dev I could send them an email and they'd make an introduction for me. :shobon: I was even super upfront about wanting to use QA to re-acclimate to the game industry after being away for so long and he was like, "that's actually a great selling point" and gave me a shitton of interview pointers and basically expressed actual, real-deal enthusiasm about helping me get back into AA again and to keep in contact. I'll be emailing him again this week with my new resume!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Sorry for double-posting, but I finally have my QA Analyst resume ready. Do y'all mind taking an axe to it? The advice I got from the recruiter I'm trying to impress was to try and keep it to one page, emphasize the QA over systems/narrative design even though I'm hoping to make a move back into design after doing QA for a couple years to reacclimate, and that I'm far enough along in my career to not have my education at the top any more, so it's a bit of a balancing act re: the one page thing.

https://imgur.com/a/x9UMyyS

(Also, shout out to this entire forum for basically helping me realize how badly I wanted to be back in AA again!)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

Well, I guess I worried for no reason as always, because the interview went great. They kept commenting how they liked my responses and appreciated my candor. They didn't even ask about the years of non-IT work.
I'm sure taking a Xanax beforehand helped immensely, as well. In the two hours beforehand I prepped by pulling up the job listing and responding to each item in the list of qualifications for the job as if it was a question in the interview, writing out each response by hand to try to trigger some broca divide poo poo.

I just sent the hiring manager an AI-assisted thank you letter. Fancy Markov chains have helped me get this far...

Thanks for the responses folks, they all helped me calm down as well. Y'all are rad.

I got a job offer! For $10k more than I asked! I'm still in shock and wondering how the universe could let something good actually happen for once.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

I got a job offer! For $10k more than I asked! I'm still in shock and wondering how the universe could let something good actually happen for once.

You love to see it folks!

Head on over to the negotiation thread if you fancy. Plenty of great advice there that helped me get even more than what was already a good offer when I interviewed last summer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Edit: I guess you already asked for a figure and got $10k above. Not sure you can really negotiate salary any more but still not a bad thread to read now that you have an offer.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Sorry for double-posting, but I finally have my QA Analyst resume ready. Do y'all mind taking an axe to it? The advice I got from the recruiter I'm trying to impress was to try and keep it to one page, emphasize the QA over systems/narrative design even though I'm hoping to make a move back into design after doing QA for a couple years to reacclimate, and that I'm far enough along in my career to not have my education at the top any more, so it's a bit of a balancing act re: the one page thing.

https://imgur.com/a/x9UMyyS

(Also, shout out to this entire forum for basically helping me realize how badly I wanted to be back in AA again!)

This looks pretty good. I don't know that you need to cut it to 1 page, honestly. You have two relevant but different job paths that are spelled out, a number of accomplishments that are worth calling out, education, etc. I think you have a worthy 1.5 pager. If you wanted to cut down you can pare back your game dev info, most of that is impressive but not really going to help with QA. You may want to do an excerise to make a "QA" resume and "Game Designer" resume and just have them seperate.

Couple notes:

1. You look a bit light on tech skills for QA. I understand the game industry is different but at my place when I look for QA I am also looking for automation skills. I see one of the literal last words is Python, you may want to highlight those skills.

2. You are kinda somewhere between a QA person and a scrum master/release manager/product owner. In fact product owner is maybe the job you actually want. Again, I'd put Jira, Agile, and such in a more prominent position.

3. Maybe look up product owner (I dunno if that exists in the game world) and maybe think about a 3rd resume geared toward that/release manager.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

This looks pretty good. I don't know that you need to cut it to 1 page, honestly. You have two relevant but different job paths that are spelled out, a number of accomplishments that are worth calling out, education, etc. I think you have a worthy 1.5 pager. If you wanted to cut down you can pare back your game dev info, most of that is impressive but not really going to help with QA. You may want to do an excerise to make a "QA" resume and "Game Designer" resume and just have them seperate.

Couple notes:

1. You look a bit light on tech skills for QA. I understand the game industry is different but at my place when I look for QA I am also looking for automation skills. I see one of the literal last words is Python, you may want to highlight those skills.

2. You are kinda somewhere between a QA person and a scrum master/release manager/product owner. In fact product owner is maybe the job you actually want. Again, I'd put Jira, Agile, and such in a more prominent position.

3. Maybe look up product owner (I dunno if that exists in the game world) and maybe think about a 3rd resume geared toward that/release manager.

Sweet, thank you! Moved the technical skills up front and made the Agile/Jira/Python specifically clearer. Gonna take a look at product owner / release manager jobs shortly, if there's one thing I'm good at it's keeping things shipping on-schedule :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have a series of interviews coming up with AWS, and one of them is with someone in the c-suite. Really was not expecting someone that high up to be involved in interviewing a fairly junior position. Was expecting like a senior manager at most.

Curious what kind of questions they're going to ask, though I know Amazon has mainly asked behavioral questions for the most part with all of my interviews with them so far.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Piss test is done, so that's a big stress off, now I just gotta hope the background check matches what I've reported and nothing pisses them off (told them about my 10+year old misdemeanor marijuana arrests already and the hiring manager didn't care, also revealed my two cannabis jobs to them. I've tried to put every card on the table I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Doing the Amazon "loop" today with 5 interviewers. Can't wait to get this poo poo over. 5 hours of interviews. gently caress me.