Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Dude you rear end in a top hat, we were all having fun on a Friday afternoon, then you roll in here with this and now everyone's weekend is ruined.

im sorry i just wanted to double check his full name :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
I'M ALREADY DRINKING

tonight at 8 est on the discord

1. Black Wolf

more rambling insanity from william lee. a middle aged cia agent finds out his highschool bullies have become terrorists and it's his job to take them out!

2. Fiend Without A Face

disembodied brains on a killing spree

3. Rollerblade Warriors: Taken by Force

i think the poster speaks for itself

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Fiend Without A Face is actually one of the best 50's scifi monster movies, it's legitimately worth a watch.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

here's the plot of primer (bear with me, I won't even mention time travel)

act 1:
• two guys discover a special secret that nobody else knows about
• a simple plan (1998)
• something goe wrong :/

act 2:
• bimmy decides they're in over their heads, goes to pull the plug
• jimmy [does something] to prevent bimmy from pulling the plug
• they decide, ok, we hate each other now, but there is one thing we can agree on, and that's that X needs to be fixed

act 3:
• they fix X (it takes a while)
• jimmy says cool. going to europe to commit more crimes and generally be an impulsive fuckhead
• bimmy says, I'm going to fix all of this. stay the [i[gently caress[/i] out of america, I will loving kill you
• they part ways. bimmy is trying to fix things by being extremely careful and responsible. jimmy enters a web of convoluted and dangerous gamesmanship, and, worse, breaks containment, taking what was a problem localized to the two of them and opens it up to the world
(they're both stupid and probably destined to destroy themselves)

the precise logistics of the special secret aren't really important. you could swap them out with the discovery of gunpowder in ancient china and keep the same basic story structure

I think where the movie fails is, it does such a poor job of communicating the mechanics of what's going on that by the time you get to the last scene with the reveal of the warehouse full of french dudes, it feels likes there's a dot you're supposed to be connecting, that isn't actually there. it feels like you're supposed to understand this as either the logical result of the preceding events, or a clever twist that changes your understanding of the preceding events (or the expected consequences thereof). it's not. it's just, jimmy is an rear end in a top hat. but most viewers are too confused by the lovely storytelling to realize it's literally just that jimmy is being insanely irresponsible and any hope of keeping the special secret a secret have gone out the window

I do think you're right that the character motivations and their reaction to having this technology is more important than the mechanics of what's going on, but I don't agree it's supposed to be some kind of rugpull ending. The mechanics are there if you care enough to agonize over them. The fact that the characters talk to each other like engineers is because they're engineers talking to each other, not the audience. I think the dense dialogue and super low-budget filmmaking are an important part of the package.

Anyway, it's also got its own moments of levity. "I haven't eaten since later this afternoon!"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I do think you're right that the character motivations and their reaction to having this technology is more important than the mechanics of what's going on, but I don't agree it's supposed to be some kind of rugpull ending. The mechanics are there if you care enough to agonize over them. The fact that the characters talk to each other like engineers is because they're engineers talking to each other, not the audience. I think the dense dialogue and super low-budget filmmaking are an important part of the package.

Anyway, it's also got its own moments of levity. "I haven't eaten since later this afternoon!"
right

sorry, I may have phrased that badly
when I say it's not "a logical result of the preceding events" I don't mean it's a rugpull or that the mechanics don't make sense, I just mean it's not a direct consequence of the precise turning of the little gears

like... 🤔
okay, in back to the future, when marty mcfly gets back and finds his family has created a much better life for themselves, we understand that that's probably a consequence of him getting george to save lorraine from biff tannen in 1955, right? it probably made george more confident and assertive and led to him making better life decisions, and it probably humbled biff.
understanding the time travel mechanics in the reality of the movie is vital to understanding that ending

but in primer, the ending reveal of him starting a new plan with a bigger box in france?
you can put all of the time travel stuff in a blackbox and still understand that scene. (it actually, on paper, hits really hard. like I can't believe the loving balls on this guy, after all that, to want to go bigger, that's insane)

but I don't think it hits the way it's supposed to, because the viewers don't realize that they pretty much understood what they needed to on their initial viewing. we're kind of expecting a back to the future type of consequence-of-the-mechanics ending, thinking that what we're seeing has something to do with who secretly brought what disassembled box back in time in another box to before which other box and recreated or changed which conversation with whose past self based on recordings made when... and all that is there, but like I said you can blackbox it

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

stillvisions posted:

And Primer's still sitting out on YouTube for those who haven't seen it. Definitely worth at least one confused watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg7cPjQWjKg

ive had this on for a half hour now, what the gently caress is happening

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Non Compos Mentis posted:

ive had this on for a half hour now, what the gently caress is happening

Have you got to the part where it’s producing more electricity than is going in yet?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gripweed posted:

Have you got to the part where it’s producing more electricity than is going in yet?

the guys have gotten into their JO chambers in the storage locker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the guys have gotten into their JO chambers in the storage locker

By that point the function of the machine has been explained. They get in as the machine shuts down and then travel backwards in time until they exit when the machine started up.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i feel stupider

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i feel stupider

Time machine turns on, runs for a while

Dudes get in time machine as it turns off

Then they give each other a sensual hj to charge the jo crystals

Then the machine brings them back to when it was first turned on

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 18, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
yeah i got that, its just the movie is like listening to a schizophrenic after a point

especially when they are both listening to their future past selves telling them what to do

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah i got that, its just the movie is like listening to a schizophrenic after a point

especially when they are both listening to their future past selves telling them what to do

Yeah that's the point. It is a power they are unequipped to handle it all spirals completely out of control very quickly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But that wouldn't be a problem for me. I would handle having a Primer machine very responsibly and it would stay within my control.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
more and more unconscious gripweeds pile up as he tries to have sex with himself

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i would use my primer machine to go back in time and watch cobra cut that pizza with scissors

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'd probably just leave the box in a corner and forget about it and then the cats start fuckin around with it and end up killing baby hitler

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’d probably prevent my mom from taking that trip to the Amazon where she was researching spiders right before she died

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I’d probably prevent my mom from taking that trip to the Amazon where she was researching spiders right before she died

But then she'd go to your house on a trip where she researches spiders right before you both die!

That's just how time travel works, I don't make the rules.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

quote:

There are exactly two categories of human on this earth: Those who can recite most of the 1986 Sylvester Stallone film Cobra by heart, and those who only know it as, “That movie where Sly eats a piece of pizza with scissors.”
I guess I am the one person on this earth in a 3rd category: those who have never seen Cobra and have no idea what this scissors thing is about.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Presto posted:

I guess I am the one person on this earth in a 3rd category: those who have never seen Cobra and have no idea what this scissors thing is about.

there are billions of us! billions!!!!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

if you’ve ever wanted to see Nymphomaniac it’s on uh, Disney+ now

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i would use my primer machine to go back in time and watch cobra cut that pizza with scissors

look, i was silent the first time you mentioned this but now its time to get irrationally angry again at this 38 yr old movie.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Time machine turns on, runs for a while

Dudes get in time machine as it turns off

Then they give each other a senual hj to charge the jo crystals

Then the machine brings them back to when it was first turned on

lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“a senual hj”

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

it was a real bad idea to get a poster from this thread into primer

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
You have to be an expert level laundry folder to follow it

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
My local arthouse is doing an opening night double of DOON and MORE DOON. Gonna get myself some extra strength depends, a oildrum sized big gulp and ride that worm!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I read that as DOOM at first and got excited by proxy

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

more and more unconscious gripweeds pile up as he tries to have sex with himself

im aorry gripweed this was overly mean

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

im aorry gripweed this was overly mean

yeah I would easily have sex with myself on my first try.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Space Jam posted:

if you’ve ever wanted to see Nymphomaniac it’s on uh, Disney+ now

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Probably the least interesting Lars von trier movie

But at least it featured an expanded cinematic universe cameo from Mutt Jones

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hackers film 1995 posted:

look, i was silent the first time you mentioned this but now its time to get irrationally angry again at this 38 yr old movie.

At first I thought you were saying Primer was 38 years old and I almost fainted

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mutt hosed in Vietnam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mega64 posted:

Mutt hosed in Vietnam.

Yeah

Fuckin DIED

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Got laid to rest

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
la petite murtt

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

3+1

Three bullets to Mutt’s chest
And one in the back

From his own men

In Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River in a Navy patrol boat. Pick up Colonel Mutt's path at Nu Mung Ba, follow it and learn what you can along the way. When you find the Colonel, infiltrate his team by whatever means available and terminate the Colonel's command.