Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

stuker posted:

that was a really cool touch. also probably fun for the VAs

one of them for high noon cracked me up, can't remember exactly who (maybe dwight?)

I cracked up at the lines that played when I used Essence of Sexy Jutsu on Bryce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arist posted:

I cracked up at the lines that played when I used Essence of Sexy Jutsu on Bryce

Yeah this was the one I was thinking of

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

holy poo poo (end of hawaii haunt) robo michio

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FishMcCool posted:

I rolled credits last night and am now chilling and clearing the Big Swell, but I do wonder... Why is the game called Infinite Wealth? I originally assumed that this was about Ichiban being stupidly rich post Ichiban Confections, but that gets canned right in the intro, and there's nothing later that particularly points at anyone getting stupidly rich, nor is money the point of any bad guy conspiracy. Is it a case of mistranslation? Or infinite-anime-friendship-is-the-real-infinite-wealth? What am I missing there?

I would assume it’s metaphorical given a big part of the game is Kiryu reflecting on his life because of his cancer, even with Ichiban there’s ch 11 spoiler the beach cutscene with Akane. Where a dude who was betrayed by his dad and shot. Lost everything he ever knew. Betrayed by his brother who he devoted his life too who then devoted his life to destroying his entire world. Grew up an orphan in a brothel when he should have been the wealthy heir to yakuza family except for someone literally just going one locker over, spent 17 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit, was homeless, lost his job for a crime he didn’t commit, and is a virgin with no girlfriend at 45 years old. Talks about how lucky he is. And how grateful he is to have so many people who care about him and look out for him and thanks his mother he never knew for giving him such a wonderful life where he got to meet those people.

Asian-rooted religions like Buddhism really like taking about fortunes, gold and treasure as metaphors for a righteous life filled with gratitude and good behavior. So yeah it’s friendship is the real treasure but it’s honesty kind of sweet because these characters really do rule and it says a lot about both kiryu and ichiban and why they’re heroes that as rough as their life Ichiban thinks (and Kiryu learns to think) of themselves as extremely lucky guys

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rolled credits

might be my new favorite in the series

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
“I love coffee and cake together. A perfect combination… just like Date and helicopters. Literally had me in loving stitches. Holy gently caress that was the funniest thing to me for some reason.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

“I love coffee and cake together. A perfect combination… just like Date and helicopters. Literally had me in loving stitches. Holy gently caress that was the funniest thing to me for some reason.

It’s one of the most awkward segues I’ve ever seen

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
51 hours
I am the sujimon master

Haven't left chapter 7 yet

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Finale sorry but it’s the coolest loving moment when Kiryu puts the old suit on with Receive You in the background

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mordiceius posted:

Legitimately one of the funniest lines of all time to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

lmao

same

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Rolled credits, I think it more or less stuck the landing. I liked it! But drat it was starting to overstay its welcome by the end, maybe I shouldn't have gone so hard in the paint on side activities.

gently caress you, you'll take your happy ending and like it :unsmith: Please let my man Kiryu rest and have a peaceful retirement now. drat he looked like absolute poo poo in that final shot. I think my only complaint immediately after coming out of the ending sequence was that Eiji should probably have had a more important role than Bryce, since the former is more interesting than the latter. As it stands he was kind of just forgotten about as soon as Rani and Akane were secured.

The ending feels like a retread of Y:LAD's final chapter, but in a good way. Millennium Tower had fewer fights but there were some absolute poo poo kickers in there. Final boss actually had some plot relevance and was much less of a slog, although once he goes into his enrage state you really need to finish things fast. Ichiban talks a major antagonist around and gets him to atone, but said antagonist hasn't done anything completely beyond the pale like Masato's mass deportation so he is allowed to live and make good on that resolution. And yeah I guess Ichiban makes another attempt to get his feelings across to Saeko but proceeds to once again poo poo the bed with the lights on, because I guess series protagonists with pre-existing stable romantic relationships are boring.

Also holy poo poo the protagonist's remaining parent actually survived. I'm pretty sure writing that outcome into a story is a violation of several Japanese laws. Probably the biggest plot twist in the whole game.

The plot is kind of silly but it doesn't hinge on anything too terribly stupid so it works as a backdrop for some rather good character interactions.

Postgame question: Not a spoiler but better be safe I guess, your two teams get mashed together into one and you can do whatever whenever as long as you have Ichiban leading the party. Are there any major previously "impossible" interactions to speak of that have now unlocked? Like idk Seonhee or Zhao remarking on stuff in Hawaii, things like that?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm fast forwarding some streams of english dub from time to time to see what various actors sound like and I'm kinda glad I did because everyone who plays with Japanese dub while not knowing the language really misses out on Kiryu's uhhh "back up" of Zhao's song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHA71FfTbBQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adachi.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress the Disco Dancing Goddess.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Vookatos posted:

I'm fast forwarding some streams of english dub from time to time to see what various actors sound like and I'm kinda glad I did because everyone who plays with Japanese dub while not knowing the language really misses out on Kiryu's uhhh "back up" of Zhao's song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHA71FfTbBQ

Final boss of LAD9: The landlord and the guy at the store who sold Kiryu the wrong dishwasher.

Also, Ichiban has the exact same script for his backup of Joongi's version of that song.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

holy poo poo (end of hawaii haunt) robo michio

I was 2 levels under this boss and it used some crazy move at half HP that one shotted my party

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is there seriously no way to back out of a quest battle completely in 8? Trolled by a giant roomba again and got extremely lucky I had a recent autosave since the only options appeared to be restarting the battle and going to the main menu. That's dumb.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

we can't keep letting sojimaru get away with this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Breaker seems like the first straight-up bad job I've tried. All others have felt pretty strong. None of the skills I've gotten for it so far are impressive. It's gimmick seems to be self-buffing, but other jobs can also do that for their most important stats. Seems like it'd be better if it offered party/AoE buffs instead. Maybe it's mainly meant to make those buffs inheritable for other jobs?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's got an Extreme damage grapple that was occasionally useful for inheritance but yeah, i didn't use it much

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, y7's implementation of turn based combat and job classes was pretty rough and breaker is one of the holdovers from that game.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm currently in chapter 12, I'm trying to take my time before Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. I ended up getting the level 7 star weapons for Ichiban (Hero), Seonhee (Assassin), Chitose (Kunoichi), and Zhao (Gangster). It felt like it was easier to craft the max level weapons in this game versus LAD:7.

I also got Kiryu's Awakening to Level 9 and the Life Link it unlocks is so devesting. He couldn't at least just say Hi to Haruka and Haruto? I felt so let down when Kiryu did not open the door :(

I never played any of the previous Yakuza games besides LAD:7 but I had it summarized by a friend. Playing through chapter 12 makes me want to play Yakuza 0. When they announced that Kiyru was going to be a dual protagonist with Ichiban I was disappointed but now I am glad they did. It gives me a reason to try out Yakuza 0 later this year

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Rabid Snake posted:

I also got Kiryu's Awakening to Level 9 and the Life Link it unlocks is so devesting. He couldn't at least just say Hi to Haruka and Haruto? I felt so let down when Kiryu did not open the door :(

Well if he did Date would be dead... but yeah that one really hits out of nowhere, especially with Akiyama finding Kiryu in the previous one. gently caress the Daidoji, man.

Runa posted:

we can't keep letting sojimaru get away with this

I am so sick of that goddamn homicidal hockey puck; it was funny twice but the third time was too much. I don't know what Professor Okita's credentials are but he needs to have them taken away immediately.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kiryu: I've made a decision
Everyone: It's a bad idea and it will cause problems in the future
Kiryu: Perhaps, but I already made the decision and to change my mind would be like breaking a promise to myself

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lakbay posted:

I was 2 levels under this boss and it used some crazy move at half HP that one shotted my party
that move has no cooldown either so it can do it turn after turn.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah my strategy for beating it was just have adachi constantly apply defense buffs, attack debuffs and hut hut hike rage if he has time and make sure everyone was always at full health

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I haven't gotten it yet but someone on reddit mentioned that since Breaker's ultimate weapon returns MP when you get a stat-buff it ends up being really good for a support character. They said you can basically spam the Linebacker's essence move that boosts party defense. I imagine it'd be pretty strong for a build that basically only uses inheritance skills.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

The party also really likes grouping together when that attack happens so they all get it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
breaker's got a few good moves mixed into a bunch of extremely mid moves. however, the ones that only have a chance to proc a stat buff are only worthwhile if you have the appropriate brand. the natural proc rate is really low.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never touched Breaker in this game, all melee damage with only self buffs seems pointless when there's so many better things I could be leveling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, I didn't really touch the Y7 jobs much at all aside from giving Tomi some levels in host and Saeko some Idol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rose Stinger and Sparkling Splash are extremely good from Host and Idol's full revive Essence got me out of a pickle during the final boss.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
idol's got that full party status cure. that's worth taking on every woman.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

The party also really likes grouping together when that attack happens so they all get it

Everyone deciding to walk over to each other made that robocop overworld boss a bigger pain in the rear end than it should've been.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
you choose jobs for their combat effectiveness
I choose jobs because I think it's funny to see Zhao in a sparkly tuxedo

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Chairman posted:

you choose jobs for their combat effectiveness
I choose jobs because I think it's funny to see Zhao in a sparkly tuxedo

Surfer Zhao is where it's at.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chef zhao is too straightforward.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Levelling up every job evenly for an extra +2 agility, +3 HP ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Made Zhao a Desperado and never looked back.